Ole Miss Game #2

jwmboom7

Is this a skill issue, numbers issue, heart issue, player/coaching issue, chemistry issue with this team???  How long does it take a new coach to get a team to "buy in" and close out winnable games?  Was AU basketball that much in the cellar when CTB took over?  I really like CTB and want him to succeed at AU, but here we are a full calendar year later, and AU is not going to have hardly any better a record than last year's team.  We stand at 3-8 with impending losses at AL (depending on the status of their players) and against FL, and maybe (?) home wins vs. Ms. St., LSU, and Arky.  Best case probly 6-10, more likely 5-11 the way they're playing now, which would be 1 game better than last year's team.  But couple that marginal conference record improvement with AU's poor performances against even teams in the pre-conf. schedule that they should've been beating by 20-25+ (see Florida A&M, eg), and I'm almost ready to say this is a bigger disappointment than last year.  KG will be in the NBA, and FS will have his shot as well.  The players ain't as bad as the team record indicates.  What gives!?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the chemistry is just not there yet. And they don't have consistent shooter's, or the bench/depth, that can pick up the slack when they have the huge scoring droughts that they do. We commit way too many fouls...whether deserved or not is questionable, but they are calling them. and not hitting FTs better than we have doesn't help either, but that has a been a problem for quite a while..before Barbee.  Just have to keep pulling for them and hope they get better. The soft pre-conference schedule does not appear to have benefited us in my opinion. But,  :wareagle:

I need some of you young guys to help an old guy out. I know from where football evolved that I now have no idea what holding is any more,as you can pull Nosa down from behind and it is not called 65% (or so) of the time.

Now I'm watching basketball,my favorite sport and these three things happened with no call or a totally different call than when I played HS and then rec league ball back in the dark ages before the 3 point line.

1) Chubb catches the ball up high and leans forward and reaches high with the ball as he is coached to do. The defender leans forward-jaw first-takes some contact and flops backward. In my day that is no foul or maybe a defensive foul.

2) The hip thing with the Ole Miss player cutting our guy. This was a tech foul,2 shots and the ball, back in the day.

You could never cut a guys legs without a foul.

3) The last block on Frankie was a great block,but the Ole Miss guy killed Frank on the way down. I mean he wiped him out! When did this become OK? Contact is contact. Educate me please.

Buckner should have been ejected for the hip check on KG. In other news we're awful.

why didn't you post in the first half?

Honestly, does it matter? I didn't know that if you didn't post in the first half you couldn't post in the second half. Either way we still aren't very good. I know it's hard to see when you watch them play[/color], but they aren't.

Well thanks for the input. That says alot

You're welcome. Glad I could be of assistants. Frankly, I don't care what your opinion of me is. Sick of people being called out on here because it's not always roses. It gets really old.

How were you called out?  I don't think, "why didn't you post in the first half? " constitutes being called out. Other than me, I'm not sure Golf has called anyone out in the past 4 years.

As sick as you are of, "people being called out on here because it's not always roses" there are just as many who are  tired of listening to those that only post when things go wrong and are never heard from when things are looking good.

Buckner should have been ejected for the hip check on KG. In other news we're awful.

Honestly, does it matter? I didn't know that if you didn't post in the first half you couldn't post in the second half. Either way we still aren't very good. I know it's hard to see when you watch them play[/color], but they aren't.

You're welcome. Glad I could be of assistants. Frankly, I don't care what your opinion of me is. Sick of people being called out on here because it's not always roses. It gets really old.

How were you called out?  I don't think, "why didn't you post in the first half? " constitutes being called out. Other than me, I'm not sure Golf has called anyone out in the past 4 years.

As sick as you are of, "people being called out on here because it's not always roses" there are just as many who are  tired of listening to those that only post when things go wrong and are never heard from when things are looking good.

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to pile on. Disappointing that it took you so long.

I need some of you young guys to help an old guy out. I know from where football evolved that I now have no idea what holding is any more,as you can pull Nosa down from behind and it is not called 65% (or so) of the time.

Now I'm watching basketball,my favorite sport and these three things happened with no call or a totally different call than when I played HS and then rec league ball back in the dark ages before the 3 point line.

1) Chubb catches the ball up high and leans forward and reaches high with the ball as he is coached to do. The defender leans forward-jaw first-takes some contact and flops backward. In my day that is no foul or maybe a defensive foul.

2) The hip thing with the Ole Miss player cutting our guy. This was a tech foul,2 shots and the ball, back in the day.

3) The last block on Frankie was a great block,but the Ole Miss guy killed Frank on the way down. I mean he wiped him out! When did this become OK? Contact is contact. Educate me please.

1.) 3 or 4 years ago rules were tweaked to address the issue of offensive ball handlers "creating space" around themselves by violenting swinging their elbows chest or head-high; if I recall, every year at least 1 or 2 noses got broken, lips got busted, concussions were caused, etc. by this move, so the NCAA stepped in.  Tonight Chubb did the move, but not violently, catching the defender on the jaw with his left triceps, not elbow.  But the rulebook is clear that it must be called a foul.  There was a definite acting job, akin to taking charges, but they called it correctly by not calling it a flagrant.

2. That was a missed call.

3. I noticed Frankie go down hard, but probably like the officials and fans and Ole Miss bench, I was so focused on the clean block up-top that was controlled in bounds by OM that I didn't notice a blow down low.  And frankly (no pun intended lol), unless it's right at the bucket, lower body contact on clean blocks isn't often called. 

1.) 3 or 4 years ago rules were tweaked to address the issue of offensive ball handlers "creating space" around themselves by violenting swinging their elbows chest or head-high; if I recall, every year at least 1 or 2 noses got broken, lips got busted, concussions were caused, etc. by this move, so the NCAA stepped in.  Tonight Chubb did the move, but not violently, catching the defender on the jaw with his left triceps, not elbow.  But the rulebook is clear that it must be called a foul.  There was a definite acting job, akin to taking charges, but they called it correctly by not calling it a flagrant.

2. That was a missed call.

3. I noticed Frankie go down hard, but probably like the officials and fans and Ole Miss bench, I was so focused on the clean block up-top that was controlled in bounds by OM that I didn't notice a blow down low.  And frankly (no pun intended lol), unless it's right at the bucket, lower body contact on clean blocks isn't often called. 

Well,I guess you're right about #3.You gotta remember-"establishing position" in my day meant beating your guy down the court,not wrestling him out of the way. But the "missed call" is inexcusable and I hope somebody calls the ref(s) out on it-privately of course.

It wa asked is this team better than last years. Ther is no simple answer talent wise yes chemistry no. Two of our better players FS and VW are recovering from injuriies which has impacted their timing and first step. They have good games then bad games. Next year both will be back. KG is currently the best player we have and he has at best an outside chance of going to NBA. KG needs another year and other players around him to free him up. Right now nobody is an Elite talent but a couple migt elevate their game. It took all thes new players a while to buy into the defensive side of the ball which they finally seem to have done but we don't have the luxury of a goto guy in the crunch and we don't have enough balanced scopring to overcome not have a goto guy, point guard play (See VW recovering) has prevented us from establishing a consistent offense.

It is a toss-up between this years team and last years, but this years team with the addition coming in for next year will give us the foundation to become a tournament team again starting next year. I see some light at the end of the tunnel but we still have a ways to go.

Guy thats a little uncalled for, I mean Golf is as old as Christmas, I would never speak to my elders that way and I am soon to be 45.

In all honesty golf was correct in his post. It did say alot.

Guy thats a little uncalled for, I mean Golf is as old as Christmas, I would never speak to my elders that way and I am soon to be 45.

In all honesty golf was correct in his post. It did say alot.

no need to worry about this.

I don't think there's any question that we are not a good team right now. We show streaks of brilliance and then streaks of complete ineptitude. Watching us play like that is really more frustrating than just being flat out bad for me, because we as fans can see what we are capable of. That said, I think we can all agree that we are better than last year, and as long as that trend continues I'm happy. At the end of the season, and hopefully into next year, maybe we will see those streaks of brilliance last longer and longer ;)

Archived