Mr. Penny Thread

Ronald McDonald

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per JHokanson: "Justin Hokanson ‏ @JHokanson Close

RT @chambc1: Auburn Supert Dr.Jenkins says a lot of confusion on Mr Penny's status. Isn't confirming... says Mr. Penny is on life support

RETWEETS

7:19 PM - 27 Feb 12 via TweetDeck · Details

Justin Hokanson ‏ @JHokanson  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

RT @chambc1: Mr. Penny is on life support to preserve organs. Dr. Jenkins says hospital told them he was dead, family says he's still alive.

Christina Chambers ‏ @chambc1 Close

Auburn Supert Dr.Jenkins says a lot of confusion on Mr Penny's status. Isn't confirming if he is dead. He says Mr. Penny is on life support

Retweeted by Scott Reaves

RETWEETS

7:03 PM - 27 Feb 12 via web · Details

Sad to see this.

They say he is on life support to keep organs alive. Means he is probably brain dead. At least he will have the chance to help save some lives.

Prayers to his family and all of Auburn nation. He was a good person to have around the program and in many peoples lives.

Shocking if true that this was self inflicted....have a high school friend whose wife teaches at Dean and she said he was the happiest hardest working person, and just seemed to love everyone and love life. 

Just goes to show that you really never know what someone is going through while smiling on the outside.

I remember meeting him in the early 80s when I was at Auburn and working out in the old dungeon student wt room in the Coliseum. Worked out with him some...couldn't begin to keep up with him. Really nice guy...and really strong, big guns. hate to hear this about him.

Damn! I'm just sick,sick,sick. Met him several times and danced with him at Toomers after the Iron Bowl. He loved Auburn. My prayers go out to his family. :(

He sat in the end zone with my niece and her husband,my wife and me. For the past 6 years I have loved seeing him. Never got to meet him,but loved his enthusiasm. The "poor folks" in the end zone will miss him. God bless his family.

I'm at a loss for words.  Just too sad to fathom.  My son, daughter and I saw Mr. Penny at the Pep Rally in Scottsdale before the BCSNCG, then happened to run into him after the game.  I would love to share a picture I took of Mr. Penny and my son & daughter, but the file size is too large to post.

He loved Auburn and will be sorely missed.  WDE Mr. Penny.  :(

My Uncle has the seats right next to where Mr. Penny stands.  Got to meet him at the Florida game last year.  Hard to believe.  Prayers lifted.

I can't express how sad this is for me and my family as part of both the Auburn University community AND the Auburn city community.  We just returned from taking our daughter up to the corner of Samford and Dean to contribute her poster for Mr. Penny to the rapidly growing memorial of candles, flowers, stuffed animals, letters, balloons and posters. She cried a lot...and so did her mom and I.  Make no mistake, this one will leave a hole that cannot be refilled.  There may eventually be another AU "pushup guy" on fall Saturdays at Jordan Hare, but he won't have the absolutely boundless enthusiasm that Mr. Penny had.  And there will certainly be another crosswalk guard and custodian at Dean Road Elementary School, but he won't love the children quite the same way that Mr. Penny did for 37 years.  Though he never received an AU diploma, Mr. Penny was no doubt AU's biggest fan.  My prayers to his family...Godspeed Mr. Penny.  cry.gif

Guest Montressor

Shocking if true that this was self inflicted....have a high school friend whose wife teaches at Dean and she said he was the happiest hardest working person, and just seemed to love everyone and love life. 

I don't know his situation but if he was depressed, it's common for people (particularly men) to hide their depression for a variety of reasons.  For most, they are embarrassed by their thoughts or worried someone will think they are "crazy" for feeling the way they do.  Not to get too personal but I've dealt w/ depression & anxiety & have had my share of suicidal thoughts over the years.  But if you were to ask my family/friends, they would tell you I'm happy as a lark b/c they're not aware of it (my choice not to tell them).  Fortunately, I got help and have been able to cope with those situations when they arise.  Again, I don't know if Mr. Penny was depressed or if he got help.  I can say that I don't think he would have done this intentionally unless he just felt he could no longer cope.  Depression will wear you down.  I hope he has found some measure of peace.  My thoughts are with his family.  

Very sad situation. I wish his family the best. He was a kind man and did more for the Auburn community besides just being the push up man at the game. I hope he has found some kind of peace

War Eagle Mr. Penny!

My heart is breaking for Mr. Penny, his family, his beloved school children, and the Auburn Family. What a sad and unexpected loss.

I hope Mr. Penny will now find the peace he couldn't find here on Earth. God Bless him.

I don't know his situation but if he was depressed, it's common for people (particularly men) to hide their depression for a variety of reasons.  For most, they are embarrassed by their thoughts or worried someone will think they are "crazy" for feeling the way they do.  Not to get too personal but I've dealt w/ depression & anxiety & have had my share of suicidal thoughts over the years.  But if you were to ask my family/friends, they would tell you I'm happy as a lark b/c they're not aware of it (my choice not to tell them).  Fortunately, I got help and have been able to cope with those situations when they arise.  Again, I don't know if Mr. Penny was depressed or if he got help.  I can say that I don't think he would have done this intentionally unless he just felt he could no longer cope.  Depression will wear you down.  I hope he has found some measure of peace.  My thoughts are with his family.  

I'm the same way.  It's a lot easier to pretend to be "normal" than it is to face the endless questions about why I'm "sad"

Archived