Mr. Penny Thread

Ronald McDonald

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am shocked and sadden to hear about Mr. Penny. I can remember a couple of years ago during a

early home game against Ole Miss. My wife wanted to meet him because of what she had seen on T.V and

heard about him at his age. We found Mr. Penny after the game and he did some push-ups for my wife and she gave him a hug goodbye after we conversated for about 10 minutes. I am so glad we have that memory

of that day and I pray that he knew the LORD and Savior JESUS CHRIST.

A true Auburn man.  Prayers sent. :'(

And that applies to Auburn University, Auburn High School, Dean Road Elementary School, and everyone who crosses his path, whether at Dean Road and Samford Ave or beyond.  Mr. Penny has made a lasting impression on our beloved community and he will always be loved for it!  He will be missed roaming the halls of Dean Road Elementary School wearing his "Auburn" and "Jesus" gear. May God be with Mr. Penny, his family, his Dean Road family, and all the kids that felt his love over the many years!

I sat behind Mr. Penny in 2010 and some last year truly a great supporter of Auburn University and the community. I remember seeing him take disabled people to the games when I sat in the student section. He embraced everyone with a smile and a " War Eagle Baby" JH is a better place when this guy is there.

Guest shirley4au9

This is a sad day for all Auburn fans. Mr. Penny will certainly be missed. I'm happy he was able to attend the NC game in AZ. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I sat a couple rows from him during the NC celebration. He was having a wonderful time as we all were. God bless you Mr Penny and thank you for the memories. You are and always will be a true Auburn Man. Thank you!  :'(

I have heard so many conflicting reports on Mr. Penny. My heart goes out to him and his family. Ive heard all kinds of rumors and I for one, do not participate in that kind of stuff, especially in a time like this. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I know this is a horrible time for all that love him. He loves Auburn and I just hope the AU family will just offer prayers and not play into all the rumors , and take time to reflect on all he has given to the AUBURN community.

Just realized who Mr. Penny is...I used to live right next to his crosswalk and passed him every single morning on my way to class. We acknowledged each other and waved every time I passed by. Never knew anything about him or his Auburn connections, but I do know that he recognized my car and went out of his way to wave to me each morning. This truly breaks my heart. My heart goes out to all of his loved ones and anyone his kindness has touched over the years. What a truly special man...

http://www2.oanow.com/news/2012/feb/27/45/auburns-mr-penny-treated-eamc-gunshot-wound-ar-3310275/

Mr. Penny still in critical condition Wednesday

Vigil being planned for Johnny Richmond, found Monday with gunshot wound to head

Johnny Richmond, known affectionately in Auburn as Mr. Penny, holds up a sign at an Auburn University football game in this 2010 photo.

By: DONATHAN PRATER , OANOW STAFF | Opelika-Auburn News

Published: February 27, 2012

Updated: February 29, 2012 - 2:11 PM

» 103 Comments | Post a Comment

Twitter hashtag: #MrPenny

Longtime Dean Road Elementary employee and Auburn City Schools crossing guard Johnny Richmond, known as "Mr. Penny," remains in critical condition at the East Alabama Medical Center, said hospital public relations manager John Atkinson on Wednesday.

Auburn police, responding to a request from a concerned relative, discovered the 37-year Auburn City Schools employee with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head Monday morning.

Since that time, well-wishers have left handmade signs, candles and even a bottle of pennies at the Samford Avenue and Dean Road crosswalk where Mr. Penny worked as a crossing guard.

Vigil being planned

Auburn City Council member Arthur Dowdell remembers how supportive Johnny Richmond has been of him during his candidacy for the Ward 1 seat he currently fills.

Now the councilman is asking his ward and the Auburn community to gather in support of Richmond, affectionately known as Mr. Penny, at a candlelight vigil at the Boykin Community Center on Wednesday.

Richmond’s condition remains critical at the hospital, John Atkinson, EAMC public relations manager said.

“We’re hoping for a miracle,” said Dowdell, who is coordinating the vigil. “The doctors have said that there was no change in his condition, but we’re going to believe when … Christians come together and pray, that God’s will is going to be done.”

Those who wish to share thoughts on Mr. Penny will have an opportunity to during the vigil, Dowdell said.

If you go

What: Candlelight Vigil for Johnny “Mr. Penny” Richmond

When: 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Boykin Community Center, 400 Boykin Street in Auburn

Toomers for Tuscaloosa reported on facebook that he is breathing on his own and has movement - doctors are amazed. 

Still praying for a miracle.

Please, if there's anybody with information, keep the AU Family updated!

My daughter goes to the school in Auburn where Mr. Penny works.  So my wife coordinated for us to take his family breakfast at the hospital this morning.  We met and spoke with his wife, daughter, sister and brother-in-law in the ICU waiting area.  They were clearly appreciative and in good spirits.  Their comments to us without getting any more specific were, "The doctors are saying he is doing things they had originally told us he would never do.  God is working a miracle!"  Given Mr. Penny's outward expressions of his faith, it should come as no surprise that his family is also strong in their faith.  After hugs all around, we left EAMC with the hope that a miracle truly is in the works.  War Eagle and Godspeed to Mr. Penny and the Richmond family!

My daughter goes to the school in Auburn where Mr. Penny works.  So my wife coordinated for us to take his family breakfast at the hospital this morning.  We met and spoke with his wife, daughter, sister and brother-in-law in the ICU waiting area.  They were clearly appreciative and in good spirits.  Their comments to us without getting any more specific were, "The doctors are saying he is doing things they had originally told us he would never do.  God is working a miracle!"  Given Mr. Penny's outward expressions of his faith, it should come as no surprise that his family is also strong in their faith.  After hugs all around, we left EAMC with the hope that a miracle truly is in the works.  War Eagle and Godspeed to Mr. Penny and the Richmond family!

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

God is good all the time! Thank you for the update! Prayers will continue in Mr. Penny and his family's way!

Someone should turn the sad face next to the thread link into a smiley face because Mr. Penny is now breathing on his own without the help of a ventilator! A miracle is at work ladies and gentlemen. Hallelujah!

I hope he gets better. Not going to be the same without seeing Mr. Penny at AU football games and seeing him dancing on the big screen.

A miracle for Mr. Penny would be the most amazing thing! I never underestimate the power of prayer, the resilience of the human spirit, the ability of a body to repair itself, and the tangible feelings of love having great healing effects on a damaged soul.

Mr. Penny seems to have regained his will to live. May God's love shower him with peace and hope and healing.

Archived