Auburn Tournament Preview

Here's a look at this week's pitching matchups

Friday vs Purdue (5-1)

RHP Joe Haase (1-0 5.23) vs RHP Derek Varnadore (1-1 5.54)

- Haase is the Boilermaker's ace. Last season he pitched in 17 games and made a team-high 13 starts after beginning the year in the bullpen. He started a game in every Big Ten series as well as the Big Ten Tournament and was honored as the team's Pitcher of the Year. Haase led the team in wins (6) and innings pitched (82 1/3) while ranking second in ERA (3.39) and strikeouts (55). Even more impressive was that he struck out 27 batters on a called third strike, the most in the Big Ten. At 5'11" 185 he's kinda small for a pitcher especially an ace. He struggled some in Purdue's opening season win against UConn as he surrendered 4 runs in 5 innings with all 4 runs scoring with 2 outs. He came back the next weekend earning a win against ECU going 5 1/3 innings and only giving up 2 runs.

Saturday vs Charleston Southern (4-4)

LHP Charlie McCready (1-1 1.80) vs TBA

- McCready had an insane season last year. For over a month he led all NCAA Division I pitchers in ERA with a score of 0.24. In fact he did not give up a run from March 14, 2011 to April 16, 2011 and did not surrender an earned run from March 9, 2011 to April 16, 2011. He also led the team and finished fourth in the Big South with an ERA of 2.29. Led the Bucs in wins (6) and appearances (27) while making 27 appearances with one start for the Bucs. He pitched 59.0 innings and gave up a total of 53 hits, 20 runs and 15 earned runs while striking out 40 batters on the season and only giving up just nine extra base hits. He finished the season with a 6-2 record and five saves. McCready has started the season strong. He took a loss against Georgetown (2-1) but in that loss he only gave up 2 runs with both coming in the 8th off a 2 run HR. He went 7 1/3 innings and struck out 6. He then followed it up with a career perfomance against Marshall the next week. He went a career high 7 and 2/3 innings allowing only 2 runs on 4 hits and struck out a career high 9 batters

Sunday vs Southern Miss (6-3)

RHP Boomer Scarborough (1-0 1.00) vs LHP Daniel Koger (1-0 0.00)

- Boomer is a hard throwing right hander who had an impressive high school career. Now as a sophomore Boomer has become the Golden Eagles Sunday starter. In his first appearance this season he only went 4 and gave up 2 runs with only 1 being earned and struck out 6 in a no decision Golden Eagle win over Nicholls State. Last weekend Scarborough earned a win after going 5 innings where he only surrendered 2 hits but gave up 5 walks and struckout 2. He surrendered no runs

Overall Auburn is going to get the best from these teams this weekend. I am interested to see who we throw Saturday as Charleston Southern's kid is good. I honestly believe we can win all 3. Purdue has a great bullpen however I think if we can get to their starter early we can stretch it thin. Charleston Southern has proven to be offensively challenged at times this year so if we can put runs on the board we can win. Southern Miss is interesting as the absolutely demolished Alabama during the week 14-2 but also have losses to UL Monroe and Troy. I hope the Tigers bring their best and keep these good times rolling!  :we:

Thanks for the information! It's going to be a great baseball weekend!  I would love for AU to win all 3, but I'm thinking we get 2. That would be OK by me.

:we:

How good is Purdue?

They look pretty solid. They've already played 2 tournaments to start the season and their only loss was to Maryland. They have beaten UConn, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, East Carolina, and Western Carolina. Here's some stats on em. Rankings are within the big 10

Batting Average: .335 (1st)

Slugging %: .410 (3rd)

OBP: .407 (1st)

Runs: 51 (2nd)

RBI: 39 (4th)

SB: 8 (2nd)

ERA: 4.10 (4th)

Oppnents Batting Average: .285 (7th)

Strikouts: 34 (8th)

Their first 2 hitters (Tyler Spillner and Eric Charles) are 1st and 3rd in the big 10 in batting average and top 2 in on base percentage. In the middle of the order Cameron Perkins can do some damage as he leads the big 10 in RBI's. It looks like they might play a kind of small ball as well as they have barely have any homeruns this season but a high amount of runs and on base stats. They aren't as aggressive on the basepaths as us but those first 2 guys can be trouble makers if they get on. They went 37-20 last season and I don't think they played in the NCAA tourney. I think they are about Missouri's caliber. Hopefully the rain will hold off and we'll get to play. The Tigers should win this one though if Varnadore is pitching well and this new lineup seems to be clicking better

Thanks for the information! It's going to be a great baseball weekend!  I would love for AU to win all 3, but I'm thinking we get 2. That would be OK by me.

:we:

Oh I agree. Every weekend 2 wins is always the goal. Saturday scares me tho. Charleston Southern's pitcher is a beast. I'm hoping the fact that their offense is pretty anemic that whoever we throw will get the job done. Winning all 3 would be a huge confidence boost and would be a big record booster

Archived