2013 5* TE O.J. Howard (Alabama signee)

BurtonJ20

I understand his role in highschool is from several positions including WR. Read somewhere he wanted to prove  his speed at camps and skill competions this summer. Maybe he is still on our board as a wideout. We would take Isaiah Jones commit and we would be done at WR.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand his role in highschool is from several positions including WR. Read somewhere he wanted to prove  his speed at camps and skill competions this summer. Maybe he is still on our board as a wideout. We would take Isiah Jones commit and we would be done at WR.

I'm sure he's on the board as a TE still.

KK retweeted this from Andrew Bone...

@AndrewJBone

After speaking with O.J. Howard this evening, his commitment to #Bama appears very solid. Will not take any other visits this summer

Retweeted by KKolumbo

@AndrewJBone

After speaking with O.J. Howard this evening, his commitment to #Bama appears very solid. Will not take any other visits this summer

Retweeted by KKolumbo

Key word, "appears".  :thumbsup:

@AndrewJBone

Retweeted by KKolumbo

actually key words are "Will not take any other visits this summer"

@AndrewJBone

Retweeted by KKolumbo

I unfortunately agree Skipper.

To be totally honest, IMO this guy is a great player any school would be lucky to have, but as for Auburn, we are not in any way hurting for good big bodied tight ends.  So, if OJ is not at all interested, then that is not that big of a deal to me, he is a great athelete, but my personal opinion is that we have a greater need for scholarships on the defensive side of the ball, and would much rather use them rather than add to an already full cupbord of tight ends.

@AndrewJBone

Retweeted by KKolumbo

Until he signs his LOI, I'll still believe!!

@AndrewJBone

Retweeted by KKolumbo

Until he signs his LOI, I'll still believe!!

Hopefully he does but we really have other needs. TE we are set

The battle for Howard will begin once the season starts. 

Honestly, Howard is not a huge priority.  If he was, we would not have taken AJ Jackson.  Howard is a nice player and seems like a good kid, but he has never been a priority recruit.

Has anyone heard what happened with OJ not coming to BCW. Apparently there was a big stink with him not coming and Troop was involved and I have been told OJ won't be coming back for any AU visits. Anyone got any more details?

Has anyone heard what happened with OJ not coming to BCW. Apparently there was a big stink with him not coming and Troop was involved and I have been told OJ won't be coming back for any AU visits. Anyone got any more details?

Even if they do something like that will not be made public.

Honestly, Howard is not a huge priority.  If he was, we would not have taken AJ Jackson.  Howard is a nice player and seems like a good kid, but he has never been a priority recruit.

I think this is spot on.  At some point, we amateur recruit-watchers need to ask if our interest in an individual kid is based more on coveting him because he is committed to the dark side.  Sure, he is highly ranked on the boards, but maybe not as much as our new TE commit on OUR board.

I think this is spot on.  At some point, we amateur recruit-watchers need to ask if our interest in an individual kid is based more on coveting him because he is committed to the dark side.  Sure, he is highly ranked on the boards, but maybe not as much as our new TE commit on OUR board.

Totally agree. I think TE is a very low priority right now. We are in good shape with TE's.

I've heard nothing about there being a big stink with him not coming to Big Cat. I have heard some things about the situation that I will not divulge, but nothing about bad feelings or anything even remotely similar.

I've heard nothing about there being a big stink with him not coming to Big Cat. I have heard some things about the situation that I will not divulge, but nothing about bad feelings or anything even remotely similar.

Surely an expert recruiter like Trooper wouldn't be making recruits mad at him.

Surely an expert recruiter like Trooper wouldn't be making recruits mad at him.

There is nothing to this as a matter of fact it is totally opposite. Stop worrying about OJ

From al.com . . .

'Tis the season for summer football camps, where connections are made all over again. Alabama held its first of several scheduled camps over the weekend, and in addition to hosting some of the nation's top uncommitted recruits from the classes of 2013 and 2014, the Alabama staff took the opportunity to solidify the commitments of some of its top prospects. Alabama commits O.J. Howard and Reuben Foster have made Crimson Tide fans nervous with recent visits to and favorable public comments about Auburn. Both Howard and Foster visited Tuscaloosa over the weekend, and after spending some time with each other ... both seem to have solidified their commitments to the Tide, according to a report from BamaOnline.

FOlks, dont forget about Ricky Parks. Im not saying that OJ is not a great talent, but i think that Ricky Parks is going to make his mark on the Plains. He runs more like WR in a TE frame. Im not that concerned about OJ Howard. We have much bigger needs.

FOlks, dont forget about Ricky Parks. Im not saying that OJ is not a great talent, but i think that Ricky Parks is going to make his mark on the Plains. He runs more like WR in a TE frame. Im not that concerned about OJ Howard. We have much bigger needs.

correct Ricky Parks will be AUsome.

From al.com . . .

'Tis the season for summer football camps, where connections are made all over again. Alabama held its first of several scheduled camps over the weekend, and in addition to hosting some of the nation's top uncommitted recruits from the classes of 2013 and 2014, the Alabama staff took the opportunity to solidify the commitments of some of its top prospects. Alabama commits O.J. Howard and Reuben Foster have made Crimson Tide fans nervous with recent visits to and favorable public comments about Auburn. Both Howard and Foster visited Tuscaloosa over the weekend, and after spending some time with each other ... both seem to have solidified their commitments to the Tide, according to a report from BamaOnline.

Maybe they have, maybe they haven't, but I'm not going to take the word of BOL about this. Do you honestly think BOL would report that one or both discussed flipping to AU while visiting Tuscaloosa?

From al.com . . .

Maybe they have, maybe they haven't, but I'm not going to take the word of BOL about this. Do you honestly think BOL would report that one or both discussed flipping to AU while visiting Tuscaloosa?

Found this on tigerdroppings....

Count Alabama commitment O.J. Howard among those who were excited when ESPN 150 quarterback Cooper Bateman committed to the Crimson Tide in May. The big 6-foot-6 tight end target knew he had a special player now on board to throw him the ball in the future.

“When I saw we got a really good quarterback, that caught my eye,” Howard said. “I was like, ‘This guy can play.’ I went and watched his film. He can throw. He can run if he wants to, but he’s a great quarterback, and he makes things happen on the field.”

Howard, who worked out Sunday at Alabama’s camp, just missed the opportunity to play catch with Bateman. The two still got a chance to meet face-to-face before Howard left town.

“I was looking forward to meeting him the whole time, and he said he was looking forward to meeting me, too,” Howard said. “He seemed like a good guy, and I know he’s a heck of an athlete. He’s a very good quarterback and a good person, also. That’s a win in my book.”

At the camp, Howard came out to compete, have fun and learn something new at the same time. He worked closely with UA tight ends’ coach Bobby Williams, running routes and catching passes.

As for the rumors surrounding a possible flip to Auburn, the Alabama native put those to rest, saying his commitment to the Tide is solid.

“I just came down to the conclusion that Alabama is it for me,” Howard said. “I want to go ahead and make it solid. I don’t want to be that guy who starts stuff all the time in the media because Alabama is the place for me.”

From al.com . . .

Found this on tigerdroppings....

Count Alabama commitment O.J. Howard among those who were excited when ESPN 150 quarterback Cooper Bateman committed to the Crimson Tide in May. The big 6-foot-6 tight end target knew he had a special player now on board to throw him the ball in the future.

“When I saw we got a really good quarterback, that caught my eye,” Howard said. “I was like, ‘This guy can play.’ I went and watched his film. He can throw. He can run if he wants to, but he’s a great quarterback, and he makes things happen on the field.”

Howard, who worked out Sunday at Alabama’s camp, just missed the opportunity to play catch with Bateman. The two still got a chance to meet face-to-face before Howard left town.

“I was looking forward to meeting him the whole time, and he said he was looking forward to meeting me, too,” Howard said. “He seemed like a good guy, and I know he’s a heck of an athlete. He’s a very good quarterback and a good person, also. That’s a win in my book.”

At the camp, Howard came out to compete, have fun and learn something new at the same time. He worked closely with UA tight ends’ coach Bobby Williams, running routes and catching passes.

As for the rumors surrounding a possible flip to Auburn, the Alabama native put those to rest, saying his commitment to the Tide is solid.

“I just came down to the conclusion that Alabama is it for me,” Howard said. “I want to go ahead and make it solid. I don’t want to be that guy who starts stuff all the time in the media because Alabama is the place for me.”

Ha it appears Saban got in his ear.

Archived