2013 5* TE O.J. Howard (Alabama signee)

BurtonJ20

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is guaranteed, though it does appear unlikely at this point.

Nothing is guaranteed, though it does appear unlikely at this point.

This a guess? 

It ain't over until its over and sometimes money is just as good as cash... but don't quote me on it.  Seriously, I don't see how anyone knows. But if you believe OJ Howard is talented enough to be a game changer and he becomes available to you, it would be hard for you to pass on him even if you were not counting on him.

Where does this come from? Has he said or done something recently that I'm unaware of?

What Chimes said...This is a strange and random thread if there is no new info to go with it.

Where does this come from? Has he said or done something recently that I'm unaware of?

What Chimes said...This is a strange and random thread if there is no new info to go with it.

I assumed it was because we got a commitment from a TE, Arshad Jackson, over the weekend.  I'm not aware of anything else.

Even though I think Arshad Jackson was a great pick up, we would still take OJ Howard in a heartbeat. I think us taking Jackson was a great move and also sends a message to Howard. I haven't heard Howard come out and say anything official about him not being interested in us anymore???

I think he stays with the turds...

Let's wait and see how he reacts to Lutz becoming a first or second round prospect in our new offense.

I would imagine the coaching staff had a pretty good idea of how and if accepting a committment

from another TE would affect the recruitment of Howard. So I trust everything is going great

according to the recruitment strategy of players by the coaching staff.

Guest Tigereagle03

From may 26: quote:

_________________________________________"Alabama has everything I'm looking for," he says. "I like Coach Nuss [Doug Nussmeier] a lot. I've spent a lot of time over there and I really like it. Right now, I 'm firm in my commitment. I'm going to keep my mind open just in case, but I still feel like Alabama is the place for me." 

"I'm very anxious to go to the Rivals camp on June 22nd in Atlanta to show everybody my speed is legit," Howard says. "My desire is to prove to the Alabama coaches that I can play wide receiver." 

Howard, who committed to Alabama last summer, is being recruited by the Tide as an H-Back. 

"Coach Saban has been very honest with me about that," Howard says. "He's told me that I could help them the most as an H-Back. I like how they're describing the position to me. They would put me in motion a lot. They would use me all over the field." 

quote:

_________________________________________"When Auburn got the fumble for the touchdown and the crowd went crazy, it was a weird moment for me," he says. "In the past, I would've been happy. But I didn't feel the same as I used to. I realized that my feelings had definitely changed."_________________________________________

I love the quote, "Coach Saban has been very honest with me about that." When has Nick Saban been honest with any of his recruits? OJ may be in for a big surprise, but I for one thinks he sticks with his Bama commitment. Maybe the AU coaches feel the same and that's why they took the commitment from the TE this past weekend.

I love the quote, "Coach Saban has been very honest with me about that." When has Nick Saban been honest with any of his recruits? OJ may be in for a big surprise, but I for one thinks he sticks with his Bama commitment. Maybe the AU coaches feel the same and that's why they took the commitment from the TE this past weekend.

That is sorta amusing. Saban honest to a recruit?  :laugh: :laugh:

When was the last time he used an Hback all over the field like AU does with Lutz? So, I guess Howard thinks the little fella will change his offense around to cater to him? I find that somewhat difficult to believe and think it might be a bit wiser to look at how his offense operates and never take the word of a well-known liar.

When was the last time he used an Hback all over the field like AU does with Lutz?

Ahh... all last year maybe?

I believe if you check the stats, uat threw to Smelly 34 times for 356 yards and to Williams 16 times for 191 yards...  The year before that they hit Dial 25 times for 264 yards.

I believe we only threw to Lutz 24 times for 238 yards last year and 15 tmes for 185 the year befoe....

so.... if you wanna compare, I don't think we really match up. 

Having said that, I hope we incorporate Lutz a lot more this year.  I think using him more in the passing game will really open things up.  He's much better than what we've used him for so far.  Our passing game has been pretty weak the last two years and Lutz could be the key that helps us throw that door back open... but I hope not at the cost of the running game.  I still want to pound it out too..

Saban is honest and when OJ gets to spring practice he will be a MLB.

When was the last time he used an Hback all over the field like AU does with Lutz?

I believe if you check the stats, uat threw to Smelly 34 times for 356 yards and to Williams 16 times for 191 yards...  The year before that they hit Dial 25 times for 264 yards.

I believe we only threw to Lutz 24 times for 238 yards last year and 15 tmes for 185 the year befoe....

Having said that, I hope we incorporate Lutz a lot more this year.  I think using him more in the passing game will really open things up.  He's much better than what we've used him for so far.  Our passing game has been pretty weak the last two years and Lutz could be the key that helps us throw that door back open... but I hope not at the cost of the running game.  I still want to pound it out too..

I stand corrected.  :laugh:

In fairness though, we threw to almost no one last year as we could not protect the qb and did not have any experience at qb and little on the Oline. That is changing in a hurry. Also, Eric Smith shared time Hback catching 23 passed for 275 yards the 2 prior years as well.

I stand corrected.  :laugh:

In fairness though, we threw to almost no one last year as we could not protect the qb and did not have any experience at qb and little on the Oline. That is changing in a hurry. Also, Eric Smith shared time Hback catching 23 passed for 275 yards the 2 prior years as well.

Passing has not been our strong suit over the last two years... bottom of the SEC... We need to look to the TE/HB more often and get that ball in their hands more.  I think this opens the running and passing game more... but I'm not a coach, so what do I know...

I love that up until last week it was all but inevitable that OJ would switch to AU.  Honestly I think we have bigger needs than TE, given the recent talent we've recruited to that position.  If he's a game-changer I get it, but I think we'll survive.

Archived