2013 5* TE O.J. Howard (Alabama signee)

BurtonJ20

I love that up until last week it was all but inevitable that OJ would switch to AU.  Honestly I think we have bigger needs than TE, given the recent talent we've recruited to that position.  If he's a game-changer I get it, but I think we'll survive.

Agree

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or he could be pulling a yeldon..

No. Because our head coach would not, imo, orchestrate a kid's lying about his committment.

I think it's more likely that Howard is giving subtle hints that he will flip, at Saban's request, than it is that he is orchestrating a Yeldon-type flip on his own, and I agree that none of our coaches would set up something like that. I mean, think about it: from Saban's point of view, that would be a crushing type of blow as well, because he would lead Auburn fans on as if we were going to get back at Bama, then we'd get the rug pulled out from under us when he stuck with them and all the hype proved false.

The fact that the coaches took Jackson's commitment tells me that either they think he is just as good as Howard and they are satisfied, or they aren't sure enough of Howard to take the risk. It is possible that they will take both, but at this point I just don't see it.

No. Because our head coach would not, imo, orchestrate a kid's lying about his committment.

I think it's more likely that Howard is giving subtle hints that he will flip, at Saban's request, than it is that he is orchestrating a Yeldon-type flip on his own, and I agree that none of our coaches would set up something like that. I mean, think about it: from Saban's point of view, that would be a crushing type of blow as well, because he would lead Auburn fans on as if we were going to get back at Bama, then we'd get the rug pulled out from under us when he stuck with them and all the hype proved false.

The fact that the coaches took Jackson's commitment tells me that either they think he is just as good as Howard and they are satisfied, or they aren't sure enough of Howard to take the risk. It is possible that they will take both, but at this point I just don't see it.

It would not surprise me if they took both but I don't keep up with how they are managing the roster--just that he is such an impressive player and that we could likely utilze both in some capacity. If we wouldn't take both, then that means that Howard doesn't have a current committable offer because there is no way that CGC goes back to a currrent verbal and pulls the offer. We all know that for certain. I wouldn't call any flip in this case a crushing blow because both schools have such strong classes going, it would take more than one player but it would certainly be nice fodder.

It would not surprise me if they took both but I don't keep up with how they are managing the roster--just that he is such an impressive player and that we could likely utilze both in some capacity. If we wouldn't take both, then that means that Howard doesn't have a current committable offer because there is no way that CGC goes back to a currrent verbal and pulls the offer. We all know that for certain. I wouldn't call any flip in this case a crushing blow because both schools have such strong classes going, it would take more than one player but it would certainly be nice fodder.

Yeah, well, "crushing blow" is a relative term, to be sure. Yeldon was far from a crushing blow last year, but that's the way it was made out, and I feel pretty confident that is what Saban wanted from it. I mean, I wouldn't be that surprised if Jovon Robinson ended up being better than Yeldon, and the rest of our class filled our needs so well that it wasn't a big deal, even if it was supposed to be.

I don't know, I just get the feeling that Saban doesn't like Chizik matching him so well in recruiting, and he's been trying to take a "major" shot at us every year. Before Yeldon, he went into our back yard to pull a player (Grant) he had no intention of giving a real shot just to show that he could, and that player ended up transferring here because of it. He stole Eric Smith's younger brother Petey away from us only to process him out a couple of years later. I mean, I understand that this is recruiting and these things happen, but Saban has shown a concerted drive to one up his state rival at every turn even when he has to go out of his way to do it.

Yeah, it irritates me a little, but then it also makes me feel good that we're getting to him that much. :laugh:

OJ may be the top TE in the country, and I am sure he is talented, but we have our tight end committed now - a great TE. There are other needs that must be addressed. Good luck OJ. You had your chance.

Now let's continue to pull in the defensive recruits and a good RB.

OJ may be the top TE in the country, and I am sure he is talented, but we have our tight end committed now - a great TE. There are other needs that must be addressed. Good luck OJ. You had your chance.

I betcha the coaches aren't writing him off like you are.

Does anybody remember who the top tight end in the country signed with last year ?

Depends on which site you use but most had UF signing the #1 TE last year. Scout and Rivals both had Kent Taylor as the #1 TE with 247 having Parks as #1. I have no idea who ESPN had as #1.

Does anybody remember who the top tight end in the country signed with last year ?

Depends on which site you use but most had UF signing the #1 TE last year. Scout and Rivals both had Kent Taylor as the #1 TE with 247 having Parks as #1. I have no idea who ESPN had as #1.

Kent Taylor

Ricky Parks

Pos:Tight End, Outside Linebacker

Ht: 6-4

Wt: 235 lbs

Hometown: Hogansville, GA

Callaway Class of 2012 - Football

4 Stars96

Top247

1 Pos (TE)

Ranking: 6 State (GA)

Ranking: 77National

Ranking:

I'll go with 24/7

They may be right and ftr I was just being difficult. I got your point and that is certainly 1 way to look at it. Another way would be we have exactly 1 proven TE on the roster and he will be gone after next year. The coaches know much more about what we need than any of us here so if the think we only need 1 then I for one will be fine with their decision.

Our coaches work very hard to find the player that is the best fit, not just the most talented.  That doesn't mean one prospect has better character but less talent than another.  It speaks to the issue of team chemistry, football IQ, etc., etc.  If we are taking one TE this year and we went with AJ, I trust that he is the best fit for the team.  Then again, we may take 2 if OJ wants to change his mind. 

From may 26: quote:

_________________________________________"Alabama has everything I'm looking for," he says. "I like Coach Nuss [Doug Nussmeier] a lot. I've spent a lot of time over there and I really like it. Right now, I 'm firm in my commitment. I'm going to keep my mind open just in case, but I still feel like Alabama is the place for me." 

"I'm very anxious to go to the Rivals camp on June 22nd in Atlanta to show everybody my speed is legit," Howard says. "My desire is to prove to the Alabama coaches that I can play wide receiver." 

Howard, who committed to Alabama last summer, is being recruited by the Tide as an H-Back. 

"Coach Saban has been very honest with me about that," Howard says. "He's told me that I could help them the most as an H-Back. I like how they're describing the position to me. They would put me in motion a lot. They would use me all over the field." 

quote:

_________________________________________"When Auburn got the fumble for the touchdown and the crowd went crazy, it was a weird moment for me," he says. "In the past, I would've been happy. But I didn't feel the same as I used to. I realized that my feelings had definitely changed."_________________________________________

[/quote

Off topic but...

What game is he referring to with the fumble?

There are several points in this thread about the 'new' Auburn recruiting.

1 we are stacked pretty much everywhere so losing a guy for another is not a problem

2 if guys are rated in the top 5 or so at their position then they are probably fairly close  in Terms of talent

3 the coaches will not wait for anyone

4 the season will go a long way in determining the top guys. How we play will get Howard or Adams or foster on board. These guys won't do much until they see what we look like with the new coaches

1 we are stacked pretty much everywhere so losing a guy for another is not a problem

2 if guys are rated in the top 5 or so at their position then they are probably fairly close  in Terms of talent

4 the season will go a long way in determining the top guys. How we play will get Howard or Adams or foster on board. These guys won't do much until they see what we look like with the new coaches

With all doe respect 3 and 4 are mostly inaccurate. Every team every year will have a certain group of players they will wait on til late in the process if they feel they have a legit shot. For example, Auburn will wait on Adams and Foster as long as the coaches feel they have a fighting chance. Also, for the most part the college's performance the recruits senior season has little to do with the ultimate final choice of the recruit. Most colleges at Auburn's level have been recruiting and developing a relationship with the player for 2 or 3 years by the time NSD comes around. It is those relationships with the coaches that usually have a bigger impact on a recruits college choice. With that said, on field performance of how we use Lutz may help Auburn flip Howard

With all doe respect 3 and 4 are mostly inaccurate. Every team every year will have a certain group of players they will wait on til late in the process if they feel they have a legit shot. For example, Auburn will wait on Adams and Foster as long as the coaches feel they have a fighting chance. Also, for the most part the college's performance the recruits senior season has little to do with the ultimate final choice of the recruit. Most colleges at Auburn's level have been recruiting and developing a relationship with the player for 2 or 3 years by the time NSD comes around. It is those relationships with the coaches that usually have a bigger impact on a recruits college choice. With that said, on field performance of how we use Lutz may help Auburn flip Howard

Are you joking me or just feel like being controversial?

4 - You don't think these guys are at all interested in seeing what direction Auburn is going before they switch from a prior commitment? Adams - probably not as he seems more open to a few teams like us and Clemson. Then you restated what I said about Lutz. Come on man, give me a break.

3 - Quite obviously the coaches have been building those relationships for a long time. And obviously they'd wait on the likes of Adams and Foster. But, but they also have show they are willing to move on and get someone else they like.

When was the last time he used an Hback all over the field like AU does with Lutz?

Ahh... all last year maybe?

I believe if you check the stats, uat threw to Smelly 34 times for 356 yards and to Williams 16 times for 191 yards...  The year before that they hit Dial 25 times for 264 yards.

I believe we only threw to Lutz 24 times for 238 yards last year and 15 tmes for 185 the year befoe....

so.... if you wanna compare, I don't think we really match up. 

Having said that, I hope we incorporate Lutz a lot more this year.  I think using him more in the passing game will really open things up.  He's much better than what we've used him for so far.  Our passing game has been pretty weak the last two years and Lutz could be the key that helps us throw that door back open... but I hope not at the cost of the running game.  I still want to pound it out too..

I stand corrected.  :laugh:

In fairness though, we threw to almost no one last year as we could not protect the qb and did not have any experience at qb and little on the Oline. That is changing in a hurry. Also, Eric Smith shared time Hback catching 23 passed for 275 yards the 2 prior years as well.

Passing has not been our strong suit over the last two years... bottom of the SEC... We need to look to the TE/HB more often and get that ball in their hands more.  I think this opens the running and passing game more... but I'm not a coach, so what do I know...

Passing was not our strong suit last year, but then again, offense was not our strong suit last year.  However, 2 out of the last 3 years our QB has broken AU's all-time passing TD records.

I am not writing him off. I just think there are bigger needs on this football team than 2 TEs when we have limited scholarships to offer.

I am not writing him off. I just think there are bigger needs on this football team than 2 TEs when we have limited scholarships to offer.

Yeah, agreed.  I understand how important he can be if he's a game-changer.  However, TE is a position we've recruited well for in recent years.

4 - You don't think these guys are at all interested in seeing what direction Auburn is going before they switch from a prior commitment? Adams - probably not as he seems more open to a few teams like us and Clemson. Then you restated what I said about Lutz. Come on man, give me a break.

3 - Quite obviously the coaches have been building those relationships for a long time. And obviously they'd wait on the likes of Adams and Foster. But, but they also have show they are willing to move on and get someone else they like.

Not joking at all. I never said or implied they were not interested on seeing what a team is doing. I am just saying it pails in comparison to the relationships that the recruits build up with the coaches and players in the 2 or 3 years before NSD. That is evidenced by the real recruiting bump coming 3 years after a team winning the MNC. Winning it all opens the door for coaches to speak and build relationships with freshmen recruits that may not have listened before winning the MNC. Also if on field performance was such a big factor the high prestige schools (AU, UF, FSU, Texas, USC, Bammer, etc...) would not pull in top 10 or top 5 classes like they actually do immediately after a down season. Looking at 247 team recruit rankings with 2011 records in parenthesis...Texas (8-5) 4th, TAMU- not even an upper tier team (7-6) 5th, Florida (7-6) 6th, Ohio State (6-7) 9th, Notre Dame (8-5) 10th, and my favorite Auburn (8-5 in the 2009-2010 season) 4th in Rivals for the 2010 class.

I agree with Ellitor, ALL coaches will wait and hold a scholarship for a certain group of players as long as they feel they have a fighting chance to get them.  I don't see any coach looking at guys like Jadeveon Clowney, Cyrus Kouandjio, or La'El Collins and saying "either you commit to us by Friday or we will pull your scholarship and move on".

Otherwise teams would always have filled every slot they have open every year. That is how we ended up offering  Ladarius Phillips, we were waiting on someone we did not get.

I agree with Ellitor, ALL coaches will wait and hold a scholarship for a certain group of players as long as they feel they have a fighting chance to get them.  I don't see any coach looking at guys like Jadeveon Clowney, Cyrus Kouandjio, or La'El Collins and saying "either you commit to us by Friday or we will pull your scholarship and move on".

Otherwise teams would always have filled every slot they have open every year. That is how we ended up offering  Ladarius Phillips, we were waiting on someone we did not get.

There is a balancing point somewhere... in where they guy you may want first isn't decded and the guy you want 2nd isn't going to wait.  It depends on how bad you need a guy at that spot and how much you like the 2nd guy.  The coaches may have evaluated our 3* TE to be much better than he appears on paper.  If they feel Howard is a no go at this point and feel this other TE is slipping away... you may go ahead and accept the offer from your 2nd choice and let the #1 choice sail away.  Being that we are limited in our numbers this year, we really don't have a lot of scholarships we can hold open to NSD, if our #2 choice we feel is rated well and has a chance of slipping away. 

Really, it comes down to a recruit by recruit evaluation and the timing in which each case is.  No one commit is going to be the same as any other.  Also, we may have taken our newest TE commit as a conditional... saying you have a grayshirt offer if Howard flips... if he doesn't flip you have a current year offer.

We don't know the ins and outs of what is going on, so to try to speculate is a bit hard.  What we can say is that we have a good class going right now... with or without OJ Howard.  Either way, we'll be fine.

I think that Howard may be recruited as a DGB type guy form last year, used like Anthony Mix. Read somewhere that he wanted to be used as a wideout and tried to talk Saban into it. Is it possible Troop might like him in this role? Then we wouldn't have him as a TE, but as a WR. Still have hope?

I think that Howard may be recruited as a DGB type guy form last year, used like Anthony Mix. Read somewhere that he wanted to be used as a wideout and tried to talk Saban into it. Is it possible Troop might like him in this role? Then we wouldn't have him as a TE, but as a WR. Still have hope?

We are pretty well stacked at TE now. If the guy has the speed, he could be like the kid from USCe was. Maybe that's why we took the commitment from the other TE days ago. Could we be recruiting Howard as a WR? I hope so!

Archived