2013 5* TE O.J. Howard (Alabama signee)

BurtonJ20

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw that OJ has earned his 5th star from 247, why am I not surprised......

Just saw that OJ has earned his 5th star from Rivals, why am I not surprised......

It was 247, not Rivals.

My bad, corrected

Just saw that OJ has earned his 5th star from 247, why am I not surprised......

Because the kid flat out earned it. His was not Bammer bias.

Do believe the beating of this dead horse can stop. It's a done deal. He earned the 5* rating. He showed out at The Opening.

Enough badmouthing him for being a lifelong AU fan but committing to Alabama. He'll do great in Tuscaloosa and I couldn't be any happier for him.

I have heard from numerous people who have watched him play and they questioned his 4* rating months ago.  Is he one of those great camp players but when it comes time to put the pads on and hit someone he disappears??

Do believe the beating of this dead horse can stop. It's a done deal. He earned the 5* rating. He showed out at The Opening.

Enough badmouthing him for being a lifelong AU fan but committing to Alabama. He'll do great in Tuscaloosa and I couldn't be any happier for him.

Agreed no bad mouthing. He is making his decision. I will continue to say he is/was a casual fan and not a die hard life long fan. You don't do this if you were. You go to you the school of your "dreams" if you are a fan. I will put it in a context that hopefully applies to anyone on this board. Most here are die hard fans. If any of us had been offered a full ride academic scholarship to UAT coming out of high school, and then a few months later be offered same academic scholarship to AU in the same discipline, who here with an honest face would say, " I am going to UAT because they offered first and I feel slighted by AU". For any lifelong AU fan, there would be none IMO. The casual fan, who knows.

Good luck to the kid except one game every year. But too call him an AU lifelong, die hard fan is an insult to AU and us.

I completely agree. I have absolutely zero bad feelings toward OJ. He did not string us along, committ and then change at the last minute or lie--to my knowledge. He simply chose a rival, for whatever reason, and it happens. I wish him the best, until he faces us--then I hope we knock a snot bubble out of him.

[/quote

Really? Bad-mouthing? What are you reading? I couldn't care less what he's rated since he's going to Alabama and haven't participated in nor seen anyone bad mouthing the kid.

I completely agree. I have absolutely zero bad feelings toward OJ. He did not string us along, committ and then change at the last minute or lie--to my knowledge. He simply chose a rival, for whatever reason, and it happens. I wish him the best, until he faces us--then I hope we knock a snot bubble out of him.

nice, love the snot bubble line, had that happen to me a few times, lol.  :laugh: :laugh:

I have heard from numerous people who have watched him play and they questioned his 4* rating months ago.  Is he one of those great camp players but when it comes time to put the pads on and hit someone he disappears??

He disappears only because he plays for weak 1A Autauga Academy. Camps were his stage to shine and he did.

Nobody is bad mouthing OJ and no beating of the dead horse (PETA might be monitoring), he is a GREAT player where ever he ends up.  Just stating facts on how easy it is for bama recruits to get 5 stars and how hard it is for AUB recruits to get those same 5 stars.... :dunno:

I watched him play as a junior in a 7 on 7 tournament near Bham and a regular season game against my son's team.  He was the best player on the field but in playing against the lowest level of AISA the competition is not the best.  He and my son both earned all metro honors (at wr) but while OJ has all the D1 offers, my son only received a couple of DII offers and decided on a DIII school.  :)

nice, love the snot bubble line, had that happen to me a few times, lol.   :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, very nice!! ;D

Agreed no bad mouthing. He is making his decision. I will continue to say he is/was a casual fan and not a die hard life long fan. You don't do this if you were. You go to you the school of your "dreams" if you are a fan. I will put it in a context that hopefully applies to anyone on this board. Most here are die hard fans. If any of us had been offered a full ride academic scholarship to UAT coming out of high school, and then a few months later be offered same academic scholarship to AU in the same discipline, who here with an honest face would say, " I am going to UAT because they offered first and I feel slighted by AU". For any lifelong AU fan, there would be none IMO. The casual fan, who knows.

Good luck to the kid except one game every year. But too call him an AU lifelong, die hard fan is an insult to AU and us.

As put to me by a close friend (whole family AU fans at every game) of his, "If you are 15 years old and Nick freakin' Saban says, 'hey kid, I want you to come play for me' and Chizik gives you the impression that we will wait a few months, he's not going anywhere. What would you do?"

There's no need to debate "fandom," because everyone has a different definition of what a "true fan" is. That is all I was referring to. Judging someone's amount of loyalty/fandom towards a school they've never attended is quite hard, almost impossible.

With the being said, I believe we have a great TE committed now, not to mention the ones already here. I will pull for OJ as an individual, but will find it impossible to pull for his team (why can't he play an individual sport???). AND I will be sure to rag on him when he get the SNOT BUBBLE you speak of! Haha!

As a true Auburn man, if Nick Saban called me or stopped by my house, I would send it to voice mail or politely ask him to get off my porch.  I think all recruits should follow my lead. 

I think it's clear that the Auburn staff managed this kids recruitment all wrong, but their strategy is usually a sound one and it just backfired this time.  I'm sure Chizik didn't expect Bama to make a hard push early  since normally Saban is the king of slow playing.  Saban made a bold move and it looks to be paying off since OJ is what he appeared to be, a freakish athlete.  If Auburn wants the kid they will probably need to offer him as a wide receiver with no caveat that he gets moved to another position if he grows too much.  With our love of big wide receivers, I'm surprised we haven't already done this.

As a true Auburn man, if Nick Saban called me or stopped by my house, I would send it to voice mail or politely ask him to get off my porch.  I think all recruits should follow my lead. 

If only we could be so fortunate for you to mentor every 4* & 5* recruit!  :bow:

Then WE could acquire National Championships of Recruiting???

I think the use of a pitchfork might be required, he's familiar with those.  :devil:

stated in an interview at 'The Opening' that Auburn had backed off of him? A poster on the scout board said this and it was the first I had heard of it.

One would assume that we only wanted one TE and after he committed to alabama we offered another TE who accepted.

Archived