VavGorder Discusses Auburn's Defense

AUMASTERS

That's great info. Thanks for sharing. Pretty funny the last thing he said - I'm there's not a game right now. I think the D is going to be a lot different and better. Not just the addition of a great coordinator but some of these guys growing up and adjusting to the game - Whitaker, Ford, Lemonier will all make the D 10 points a game better if they improve from last year.

I'll feel good about the D when I see them on the field.  I'm glad to hear positive feedback from the coaching staff on the player development.  The proof is in the pudding.

Looks like a frank, honest assessment from the new DC.  It seems that the defense may be rough again this season, but almost certainly still significantly better than last year's group.  Improved defensive line play can do a lot to mitigate issues at the LB and DB level, we know that from the 2010 National Championship campaign. 

Guest jrljr

I love CBVG! No nonsense. It is what it is. He believes his D should win games on their own As great as it is watching a Cam Newton or Bo Jackson, for my money I love to watch my D line up and crush an offense. it gets my blood pumping like no other part of the game. (Especially when the team being embarassed is uat or UGly!!!)

:banghead:

Looks like a frank, honest assessment from the new DC.  It seems that the defense may be rough again this season, but almost certainly still significantly better than last year's group.  Improved defensive line play can do a lot to mitigate issues at the LB and DB level, we know that from the 2010 National Championship campaign. 

I'm not sure it could be any worse than last year anyway.... One of the softest Auburn D's I've ever seen in a long time... I would hope and expect that we'd be a lot better, but we have a long way to go to be where I expect Auburn's D to be.  I think getting away from the quick pace offense will help our D a lot too.

I def think the D will be ten times better, there are more bodies along the d line & if they can just grow into their own we should be fine there. I do believe our linebacker core is questionable,not so much the starters but the depth behind them. But heres to hoping they prove me wrong!!!! :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

I can't wait to see the D on the field and what BVG has done with them.  I'm enjoying the build up to this new defense b/c with the rest of my family being UGA fans they've seen what BVG can do with D at the college level especially.  The most common phrase I heard from family/friends when BVG was hired..."crap" lol

Dee Ford weighed 290 lbs when he came into AU? Wow, I had forgotten that information. Hope Coach Chizik doesn't "encourage" Van Gorder to cut down on his interview responses. I can hear more info from one Van Gorder interview than a season worth of Chizik responses.

Dee Ford weighed 290 lbs when he came into AU? Wow, I had forgotten that information. Hope Coach Chizik doesn't "encourage" Van Gorder to cut down on his interview responses. I can hear more info from one Van Gorder interview than a season worth of Chizik responses.

That was a typo. He came in at 190. The article later refers to him "bulking up" to 235 or whatever it is.

Guest jrljr

That was a typo. He came in at 190. The article later refers to him "bulking up" to 235 or whatever it is.

I pray he is able to stay healthy! Dee has really put in the work (i.e. YOX) since arriving at Auburn. I know he was listed as an OLB coming out of HS in '09, but I believe it was obvious even then that he had the frame to put on the weight necessary for a DE. I'm not sure what his current 40 times are but he was a 4.5 guy coming in. I believe he has a future career in this game and CBVG is just the man to help him showcase his skills.

WAR DEE EAGLE!    :aufb:

Dee beat a 2team between them on an edge rush in ADay--POWER bull rush type play. He showed up on A day to play. Look for him to do big things this season if he stays healthy.

I think this interview was in another thread and it just reminds me of how much I like CBVG so far. He seems so straight up. The only thing about hiring coordinators like him is you have to constantly worry about who is going to try to lure him and when! Part of the deal though. I feel like he will at least be here long enough to get us back in upper echelon with the D.

Dee beat a 2team between them on an edge rush in ADay--POWER bull rush type play. He showed up on A day to play. Look for him to do big things this season if he stays healthy.

I think this interview was in another thread and it just reminds me of how much I like CBVG so far. He seems so straight up. The only thing about hiring coordinators like him is you have to constantly worry about who is going to try to lure him and when! Part of the deal though. I feel like he will at least be here long enough to get us back in upper echelon with the D.

Dee Ford has three things that I like in a DE:

-Speed

-Leverage

-Moxy

Is it too early to call beast?

Dee Ford has three things that I like in a DE:

-Speed

-Leverage

-Moxy

Is it too early to call beast?

Maybe. But based on A Day, it shouldn't be too long.

Archived