Recruiting numbers....

Bathel

Ok... I know this has been talked about before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere..

so, can someon tell me how many recuits we expect to sign come February...

from what I've seen, we look to be at about 83 scholarships current... losing about 12 guys next year.  That would seem to be abot 15 to 18 guys we would take?  Can I get some more informed input from you experts out there.  The 83 number I got came from http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/2012/05/09/numbers-game-so-how-many-players-are-on-scholarship/

I'm not sure anyone really knows but I've seen knowledgeable posters say up to possibly 20, which seems a bit of a stretch unless we have several drop out for whatever reasons.

Ok... I know this has been talked about before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere..

so, can someon tell me how many recuits we expect to sign come February...

from what I've seen, we look to be at about 83 scholarships current... losing about 12 guys next year.  That would seem to be abot 15 to 18 guys we would take?  Can I get some more informed input from you experts out there.  The 83 number I got came from http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/2012/05/09/numbers-game-so-how-many-players-are-on-scholarship/

They forgot about Shon Coleman. Jawara White should put on medical hardship which ended his football career. Yes, we got 83 current scholarship (plus Coleman and minus White).

After 2012 season, we will losing 13 seniors. (McCalebb, Lutzenkirchen, Blake, Stallworth, Benton, Morgan, Sullen, Travis, Bates, Evans, Richardson, Bell and Means)

Do my math... 83 - 13 = 70.

We would take about 17-18 guys (2 or 3 extra spots in case if any junior declare for NFL, injuries, transfer, etc. who knows?) If they take 20 guys then it is going to be interesting who will take a gray shirt (I remember Steven Clark was about to take that one in 2010 but Jeremy Richardson failed to qualify which open a spot for Clark).

Otherwise, I'd say go for 20!

You guys seemed to have hashed it out pretty well from my very amateur perspective. I'd be surprised if we took less than 19 or more than 21.

I think 17-20 is accurate.  Number game might depend on who gets seriously injured this season and if any RS Soph or Jr make huge steps and leaves for the draft.  Just hope we don't sign 20+ and 'have' to make room for the new comers. 

I think 17-20 is accurate.  Number game might depend on who gets seriously injured this season and if any RS Soph or Jr make huge steps and leaves for the draft.  Just hope we don't sign 20+ and 'have' to make room for the new comers. 

We refrained from doing that last year when we only added 21 initial counters against the 25 max cap.  Also the 4 year scholarship announcement was a strong statement about not oversigning (and cutting existing scholarships).  Heck if there are four positions for early enrolless, we could have 4 + 25 = 29 for this class and then do Saban's "don't worry about the numbers, they will work out" routine but I don't think we will go that route. 

Seems like they closed another loop hole, or are about to, that Saban, Miles, and Spurrier had gotten some bad press about where they were not counting the initial counters (first season players) that were on campus for voluntary summer workouts as 'on scholarship' until the fall academic session started.  That way they could have unofficial tryouts before they did their final scholarship cuts to get down to 85, or decide which initial counter players they really wanted to give their limited scholarships to and send the others back home. But that is not a biggie in the oversigning game.  Hopefully it is a shot across the bow to quit being unethical and to follow the intent of the rules.

We refrained from doing that last year when we only added 21 initial counters against the 25 max cap.  Also the 4 year scholarship announcement was a strong statement about not oversigning (and cutting existing scholarships).  Heck if there are four positions for early enrolless, we could have 4 + 25 = 29 for this class and then do Saban's "don't worry about the numbers, they will work out" routine but I don't think we will go that route. 

Seems like they closed another loop hole, or are about to, that Saban, Miles, and Spurrier had gotten some bad press about where they were not counting the initial counters (first season players) that were on campus for voluntary summer workouts as 'on scholarship' until the fall academic session started.  That way they could have unofficial tryouts before they did their final scholarship cuts to get down to 85, or decide which initial counter players they really wanted to give their limited scholarships to and send the others back home. But that is not a biggie in the oversigning game.  Hopefully it is a shot across the bow to quit being unethical and to follow the intent of the rules.

There really is no difference in the 4 year scholarship and the 1 year scholarship.  The 1 year was renewable by university commity and the reason for non-renewal of a 1 yeear scholarship are the same resason for removal of a 4 year scholarship.  It has no realy impact on running players off... period.

Scholarships run for the academic year fall to fall... so, really the kids that leave early for the NFL draft are still offically on the books as being counters until fall, and the incoming kids are not put on the books until fall.  I am for keeping this as is, because it gives kids the chance to go through spring ball and see where they stand.  Many decide to transfer at this point because they understand that they will not get playing time and WANT to be on the field.  If you move the count date up, you just move up the date these kids will decide to transfer.  It won't have any effect on "oversigning". 

I have no issues with any team encouraging and helping a kid transfer to a program that will suit his needs.  uat has in issue of talented depth, one that I hope we have one day (we are getting there slowly).  I think you will see as our talent in depth contiues to grow, our attrition rate will be simular to uat's.  Therefore, be care thowing stones in our glass house....

As for the 25, backcoutn 4 to 29... I don't have any issue with doing that.  I don't think it should be thoght of as unethical.  The key point is to make rules in which kids/parents understand what type of offer they are being extended.  IE, give the univeristy the ability to only give out enough current year NLI's as they have room for in the 85 cap with leaving seniors and early NFL players.  All other offers are on a different NLI that is a GreyShirt offer.  This offer would bind the college to give the kid a scholarship in the next recruitig class.  The school could move a kid from a Greyshirt offer to a current year offer if room opens up... but they COULD NOT move a current year offer to a Greyshirt offer.  Verbal commitments would be required to be in conjuction with an offical offer NLI, either greyshirt or current year, from the University of choice.  It would not be able to be signed until signing day and the recruit could change his mind come signing day. 

This type of system would give a kid/parent the knowledge of what is going on.  IE, school A is giving me a Greyshirt offer and is my #1 choice, but school B is giving me a current year offer and is my #2 choice.  Now, do I want to be part of a team this coming year... or am I willing to risk wait a year to be on my favorite choice.  It would also add a very interesting dynamic into recruiting where type of NLI may be important to a 3 or 4 star recruit. 

As long as this option is up front and the kids/parents understand to offers... there is nothing unethical.  Looking at us this year, we have limited room, but maybe there is a 3rd DE we'd love to have, but we just can't afford to take 3 DE's this year.  The kid is an Auburn fan and only wants to play for Auburn.  Give him the option of taking that Greyshirt with a BINDING offer from Auburn... as for right now, you take a greyshirt at your own risk.

Bathel, entirely to much thought, logic and personal responsibility in your idea!  I don't know if it is the right answer but your thoughts are better than the in place system.  Surely, this will be an NCAA issue to be addressed sooner than later.  If the families are given their options clearly and honestly then they can make informed decisions and live with them.

I think that Chizik will leave a spot or two open like he usually does for transfers or in case he needs a slot. I don't see us going over 20 unless some guys leave early. So 17-20 would be my guess.

There really is no difference in the 4 year scholarship and the 1 year scholarship.  The 1 year was renewable by university commity and the reason for non-renewal of a 1 yeear scholarship are the same resason for removal of a 4 year scholarship.  It has no realy impact on running players off... period.

I disagree. The one year renewable scholarship is renewed at the disgression of the coach and he doesn't have to justify not renewing it.  On the other hand, a 4 year scholarship can only be terminated with cause and if a coach trumps up bogus reasons he is putting himself in peril if he is ever exposed for that. I recall Saban getting some bad press that would have put him in peril at anyplace that demanded ethical behavior for playing fast and loose with the medical scholarship rules to cull his roster numbers. They have tried to close that loop hole he was using/abusing by requiring proof and SEC office approval for medical scholarships.

Scholarships run for the academic year fall to fall... so, really the kids that leave early for the NFL draft are still offically on the books as being counters until fall, and the incoming kids are not put on the books until fall. 

Fall to fall you say... how do you figure that scholarships against the 85 max are freed up in December to accommodate early enrolless?  I was under the opinion they were freed up by scholarship players graduating in December or leaving the program for whatever reason, but they left in mid academic year.

This is not real pretty, but its clear enough to get the basics about who is on scholarship, who might be, and who is not presently.  Players are grouped by class year.  If all of this is correct, we could have a full house (85) with regards to players on scholarship.

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=45374.60

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/roster-mtt.html

http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/2012/05/09/numbers-game-so-how-many-players-are-on-scholarship/

COUNT UNI LAST NAME FIRST NAME POS YEAR HOME

SCHOLARSHIPS

1 Adams Will OL FR Tyrone, GA

2 77 Callahan Shane OL FR Parker, Colo. (Chaparral)

3 Davis T.J. DB FR Tallahassee, FL

4 Diamond Jordan OL FR Chicago, IL

5 Hosley Joshua DB FR Fairburn, GA

6 Hutcherson Darrion TE FR Dadeville, AL

7 Jones Jonathan DB FR Carrollton, GA

8 Kozan Alex OL FR Castle Rock, CO

9 Leff Robert OL FR Fairhope, AL

10 Louis Ricardo WR FR Miami Beach, FL

11 McKinzy Cass LB FR Birmingham, AL

12 51 Miller Patrick OL FR West Palm Beach, Fla. (Dwyer)

13 18 Mitchell JaViere LB FR Leeds, Ala. (Leeds)

14 Nero Tyler DL FR Atmore, AL

15 Parks Ricky TE FR Hogansville, GA

16 14 Pike Zeke QB FR Edgewood, Ky. (Dixie Heights)

17 President Gimel DL FR Mt. Pleasant, SC

18 Robinson Jovon RB FR Memphis, TN

19 Wallace Jona QB FR Phenix City, AL

20 Williams JaQuay WR FR Brantley, AL

21 Young Avery OL FR Palm Beach Gardens, FL

22 48 Burgess Blake OL JR Vestavia Hills, Ala. (Vestavia Hills)

23 92 Carter Kenneth DT JR Greenville, Ala. (Greenville)

24 30 Clark Steven P JR Kansas City, Mo. (Park Hill)

25 11 Davis Chris CB JR Birmingham, Ala. (Woodlawn)

26 94 Eguae Nosa DE JR Mansfield, Texas (Summit)

27 95 Ford Dee DE JR Odenville, Ala. (St. Clair County)

28 5 Holland Jake LB JR Pelham, Ala. (Pelham)

29 55 Lemonier Corey DE JR Hialeah, Fla. (Hialeah)

30 12 McNeal Demet DB JR College Park, Ga. (Banneker)

31 15 Moseley Clint QB JR Leroy, Ala. (Leroy)

32 36 Parkey Cody K JR Jupiter, Fla. (Jupiter)

33 13 Sanders Craig DE JR Clio, Ala. (Ariton)

34 24 Smith Ryan DB JR Cordova, Ala. (Cordova)

35 54 Whitaker Jeffrey DT JR Warner Robins, Ga. (Warner Robins)

36 19 White Ryan DB JR Tallahassee, Fla. (Lincoln)

37 22 Blakely Mike RB RS FR Bradenton, Fla. (Manatee)

38 18 Coates Sammie WR RS FR Leroy, Ala. (Leroy)

39 17 Frost Kris LB RS FR Matthews, N.C. (Butler)

40 45 Harrell Keymiya DE RS FR Selma, Ala. (Dallas County)

41 33 Landrum Chris LB RS FR Sweet Water, Ala. (Sweet Water)

42 93 Niles Jabrian DL RS FR Mobile, Ala. (Davidson)

43 73 Robinson Greg OL RS FR Thibodaux, La. (Thibodaux)

44 44 Swain Ant DB RS FR Gadsden, Ala. (Gadsden City)

45 57 Westerman C OL RS FR Chandler, Ariz. (Hamilton)

46 56 Richardson A LB SR New Orleans, La. (St. Michael)

47 98 Blackson Angelo DL SO Bear, Dela. (Red Lion Christian)

48 4 Bray Quan WR SO LaGrange, Ga. (Troup County)

49 52 Delaine Justin DE SO Linden, Ala. (Linden)

50 89 Denson Jaylon WR SO Hoover, Ala. (Hoover)

51 50 Dismukes Reese C SO Spanish Fort, Ala. (Spanish Fort)

52 65 Fariyike Tunde OL SO Thomaston, Ga. (Upson-Lee)

53 14 Florence Erique DB SO Valley, Ala. (Valley)

54 10 Frazier Kiehl QB SO Springdale, Ark. (Shiloh Christian)

55 11 Fulse Brandon TE SO Fort Meade, Fla. (Fort Meade)

56 26 Garrett Justin LB SO Tucker, Ga. (Tucker)

57 60 Mack Eric OL SO St. Matthews, S.C. (Calhoun County)

58 21 Mason Tre RB SO Lake Worth, Fla. (Park Vista)

59 6 Mincy Jon DB SO Decatur, Ga. (Southwest DeKalb)

60 10 Owens LaDarius DE SO Bessemer, Ala. (Jess Lanier)

61 1 Reed Trovon WR SO Thibodaux, La. (Thibodaux)

62 28 Rose Jona        DB SO Leeds, Ala. (Leeds)

63 96 Sigler Dev        DL SO Mobile, Ala. (B.C. Rain)

64 62 Slade Chad OL SO Moody, Ala. (Moody)

65 27 Therezie R DB SO Miami, Fla. (Jackson)

66 81 Uzomah C.J. ATH SO Suwanee, Ga. (North Gwinnett)

67 32 Whitehead Je        DB SO Greenwood, Miss. (Amanda Elzy)

68 90 Wright Gabe DL SO Columbus, Ga. (Carver)

69 25 Bates Daren LB SR Memphis, Tenn. (Olive Branch (Miss.))

70 22 Bell T DB SR Kissimmee, Fla. (Osceola)

71 3 Benton D WR SR Bastrop, La. (Bastrop)

72 80 Blake Emory WR SR Austin, Texas (Stephen F. Austin)

73 35 Evans Jona LB SR Prichard, Ala. (Mattie T. Bount)

74 43 Lutzenkirchen P TE SR Marietta, Ga. (Lassiter)

75 23 McCalebb Onterio RB SR Fort Meade, Fla. (Fort Meade/Hargrave MA)

76 16 Means Ikeem DB SR Wetumpka, Ala. (Wetumpka)

77 8 Morgan Anthony RB SR Brantley, Ala. (Brantley)

78 85 Stallworth T WR SR Leesville, La. (Leesville)

79 71 Sullen John OL SR Auburn, Ala. (Auburn)

80 74 Travis Jamar DL SR Brewton, Ala. (W.S. Neal)

NOT SURE YET

81 35 Prosch Jay FB JR Mobile, Ala. (Illinois)

82 70 Coleman Shon OL RS FR Olive Branch, MS

83 Ray Melvin WR RS FR Tallahassee, FL

84 20 Grant Corey RB SO Opelika, Ala. (Opelika)

85 38 White Jawara LB SO Troy, AL

WALKONS

86 Strawbridge J.D. P FR Montgomery, AL

87 Canady Chico RB JR Notasulga, AL

88 40 Cramer Robert DS JR Hoover, AL

89 59 Lembke Jake DS JR New Lenox, Ill. (Providence Catholic)

90 46 Poole Blake DB JR Buchanan, Ga. (Haralson County)

91 42 Shakespeare C RB JR Oxford, Ala. (Oxford)

92 83 West David WR JR Hoover, AL

93 56 Campbell Will P RS FR Auburn, AL

94 12 Carter Ryan QB RS FR Hoover, Ala.

95 40 Finkelstein C LB RS FR Montgomery, Ala. (Trinity)

96 46 Griggs Nosa DB RS FR Fayetteville, GA

97 35 Harris Billy WR RS FR Spanish Fort, AL

98 72 Kernon Barrett DS RS FR Daytona Beach, FL

99 89 Kviklys Alex K RS FR Marietta, Ga. (Pope)

100 58 Moorman C.T. DS RS FR Durham, N.C. (Woodberry Forest)

101 19 O'Connor Tate QB RS FR Savannah, GA

102 30 Pond Daniel LB RS FR Spanish Fort, Ala. (Spanish Fort)

103 39 Smith Elliis P RS FR LaGrange, GA

104 99 Walsh Brian DL RS FR Winter Springs, Fla. (Winter Springs

105 49 Williams Taylor WR RS FR Morris, AL

106 47 Young Patrick WR RS FR Trussville, Ala. (Hewitt-Trussville)

107 41 Dyas Adam S SO Mobile, Ala. (St. Paul's)

108 31 Fisher Trent DB SO Nashville, Tenn. (Christ Presbyterian)

109 64 Hill Forrest DS SO Jonesboro, Ga. (Morrow)

110 Lockett Johnny RB SO Sweetwater, AL

111 44 Lymon Patrick RB SO Huntsville, Ala. (Sparkman)

112 82 Reese Dimitri WR SO Birmingham, Ala. (Clay-Chalkville)

113 47 Spriggs Jordan DB SO Mobile, Ala. (Murphy)

114 51 Westrich Jacob LB SO Huntsville, Ala. (Huntsville)

115 79 Wingard Colton OL SO Alabaster, Ala. (Cornerstone Christian)

116 76 Riggins Donnie OL SR Wetumpka, AL

117 (per PM, O'Connor is a QB as shown above)

WDE!

I disagree. The one year renewable scholarship is renewed at the disgression of the coach and he doesn't have to justify not renewing it. 

That is not true... it's renewed by university committee with requirements for why it would not be renewed.  Also, there is an appeals committee that will hear both sides in cases of disputes.  The coach makes a recommendation to the committee with supporting information for non-renewal.  The criteria for non-renewal of a 1 year is the same as the termination of a 4 year.

On the other hand, a 4 year scholarship can only be terminated with cause and if a coach trumps up bogus reasons he is putting himself in peril if he is ever exposed for that. I recall Saban getting some bad press that would have put him in peril at anyplace that demanded ethical behavior for playing fast and loose with the medical scholarship rules to cull his roster numbers. They have tried to close that loop hole he was using/abusing by requiring proof and SEC office approval for medical scholarships.

Saban had one recruit give him bad press about a medial... however, that same recruit said no other school would medically clear him to play.  A medical scholarship has to be agreed and signed by the recruit.  A coach cannot put a kid on Medical without the recruits approval along with the doctors evaluation.. furthermore, a medical only  stop the kid from being able to play football at that school and allows him to keep his scholarship to finish his education.  He has every right to transfer to any school that will medically clear him.  I have done a lot of research on this as I was debating the "oversignning" website on these views... and even though we may not like it, I found no reason to believe that Saban was playing fast and loose with these rules.  BTW, the SEC will never "overrule" any doctor saying a kid is not able to play... the liability would be WAY too high.  Also, I would find it hard to believe that Doctor Andrews would risk his reputation and job on a lie to satisfy what Nick Saban wants. 

Fall to fall you say... how do you figure that scholarships against the 85 max are freed up in December to accommodate early enrolless?  I was under the opinion they were freed up by scholarship players graduating in December or leaving the program for whatever reason, but they left in mid academic year.

I don't believe they are... early enroll are at their on dollar, unless being back counted.  I believe the same is true for a greyshirt... they pay their way until the fall term of the year they are being counted against.  They enroll in January and pay their own way until August term.

I disagree. The one year renewable scholarship is renewed at the disgression of the coach and he doesn't have to justify not renewing it. 

That is not true... it's renewed by university committy with requirements for why it would not be renewed.  Also, there is an appeals committy that will hear both sides in cases of disputs.  The coach makes a recommendation to the commity with supporting information for non-renewal.  The cryteria for non-renewal of a 1 year is the same as the termination of a 4 year.

On the other hand, a 4 year scholarship can only be terminated with cause and if a coach trumps up bogus reasons he is putting himself in peril if he is ever exposed for that. I recall Saban getting some bad press that would have put him in peril at anyplace that demanded ethical behavior for playing fast and loose with the medical scholarship rules to cull his roster numbers. They have tried to close that loop hole he was using/abusing by requiring proof and SEC office approval for medical scholarships.

Saban had one recruit give him bad press about a medial... however, that same recruit said no other school would medically clear him to play.  A medical scholarship has to be agreed and signed by the recruit.  A coach cannot put a kid on Medical without the recruits approval along with the doctors evaluation.. furthermore, a medical only  stop the kid from being able to play football at that school and allows him to keep his scholarship to finish his education.  He has every right to transfer to any school that will medically clear him.  I have done a lot of research on this as I was debating the "oversignning" website on these views... and even though we may not like it, I found no reason to believe that Saban was playing fast and loose with these rules.  BTW, the SEC will never "overrule" any doctor saying a kid is not able to play... the liability would be WAY too high.  Also, I would find it hard to believe that Doctor Andrews would risk his reputation and job on a lie to satisfy what Nick Saban wants. 

They aren't ... early enroll are at their on dollar, unless being back counted.

Committee, good sir.

That is not true... it's renewed by university committy with requirements for why it would not be renewed.  Also, there is an appeals committy that will hear both sides in cases of disputs.  The coach makes a recommendation to the commity with supporting information for non-renewal.  The cryteria for non-renewal of a 1 year is the same as the termination of a 4 year.

They aren't ... early enroll are at their on dollar, unless being back counted.

Committee, good sir.

The point was/is.... the same committee that renews a 1 year is the same committee that revokes a 4 years... their guidlines for non-renewal and revokation are the same... so in essence, a 1 year scholarship is no different that a 4 year scholarship.  If a committee wants to remove a player it has the same critieria regardless of what type of offer the kid has.  If you belive that Saban is pulling 1 year scholarships... he won't have any problem pulling a 4 year for the same reasons given to the committee.

BTW, i corrected my poor spelling... I am not that great a speller, so any corrections are welcomed.

This is not real pretty, but its clear enough to get the basics about who is on scholarship, who might be, and who is not presently.  Players are grouped by class year.  If all of this is correct, we could have a full house (85) with regards to players on scholarship.

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=45374.60

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/roster-mtt.html

http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/2012/05/09/numbers-game-so-how-many-players-are-on-scholarship/

Coleman, Prosh and Grant are on Scholly.

You guys are going to have to get comfortable with Auburn shedding #s because it is going to happen.

It may be a moot point, but has Prosch's status been finalized by the ncaa?

Will White's status count against the 85 limit?

wde

You guys are going to have to get comfortable with Auburn shedding #s because it is going to happen.

True.  Glad this came from a reliable, accurate source.  Now, we can go forward.

True.  Glad this came from a reliable, accurate source.  Now, we can go forward.

I don't doubt you so please don't take the following comment the wrong way.  How does Auburn square that against the very public announcement that we were going to 4 year scholarships? On the surface, that seems like we are talking out of both sides of our mouths if we don't follow through and do the very thing that is suppose to prevent.  Did someone get out of sync with the coaching staff with that announcement?

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^

Our staff is not going to turn away people who might be able to play at the top tier SEC level  so they can keep guys on scholarship who have already had an ample chance and have failed to prove that they can play at the level required.

I don't doubt you so please don't take the following comment the wrong way.  How does Auburn square that against the very public announcement that we were going to 4 year scholarships? On the surface, that seems like we are talking out of both sides of our mouths if we don't follow through and do the very thing that is suppose to prevent.  Did someone get out of sync with the coaching staff with that announcement?

It really has nothing to do with anything unethical... kids will just want to transfer when it becomes clear they will not get playing time because they will be so deep in the depth chart.  Most of these kids want a chance to show what they have and will transfer their junior year to find more field time.  A coach would be smart AND SHOULD explain this to a kid and give him his options...ride pine, or I'll help you find a place where you can get on the field and play... 90% of those kids will want to transfer.

Some of these kids will be 4* kids that just don't pan out... some will be guys that got injured and just never get back to the same level they where... some will be 3* that get covered up by 5* from the next class... When you start to get real deep in talent, you start to have these issues.  One I hope we have soon.

Well, IMO no one should be told they have a scholarship then it get pulled just because someone else comes along; however any player worth his salt would likely transfer if it becomes clear that there is no way they will get playing time.  A key example would be Mr. Thomas O'Reilly.

Archived