Northerners just don't understand

au81bs

I'm currently in Chicago and my co-workers just don't understand my passion for all things SEC, and especially all things Auburn! I work with several Wisconsin alum and if I have to suffer through one more discussion on hockey or Big Ten sports I think I will scream! They just don't get it!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/MA0Sfli_8RI?rel=0

:yes: I appreciate your concern! LOL. I found grits in the grocery store, so I can get my grits fix taken care of whenever I have a hankerin for them, In fact, I treat myself with a big breakfast of fried eggs, grits, lots of bacon and biscuits almost every weekend! I also learned how to make a pretty tasty sausage gravy. I have to keep a foot in my southern roots because heaven forbid if I pick up "Chicago values" and quit eating Chick-fil-a and other gourmet southern foods! Now if I can just get a Waffle House and Cracker Barrell up here, I can be a happy man (and about 40 lbs. heavier).

I'm currently in Chicago and my co-workers just don't understand my passion for all things SEC, and especially all things Auburn! I work with several Wisconsin alum and if I have to suffer through one more discussion on hockey or Big Ten sports I think I will scream! They just don't get it!

http://www.youtube.c...0Sfli_8RI?rel=0

I agree. My wife is a yankee from MA and cannot understand my passion for Auburn. She's been to many AU games with me and loves the gameday atmosphere but still doesn't understand my love for the University. I'm just glad she hasn't asked me to choose between her and Auburn yet..... because like the Brad paisley song said "I'm gonna miss her,"

From WI, went to Auburn and am now back in WI. This is something that I have to explain a lot to them, they just don't get it. It is best to compare it to the Packers following, although that is still not the same. I deal with the WI alum's as well, they are very loyal and going to a WI hockey game is like no other, I will give them that. But hockey is hockey, then there is SEC football.

I agree. My wife is a yankee from MA and cannot understand my passion for Auburn. She's been to many AU games with me and loves the gameday atmosphere but still doesn't understand my love for the University. I'm just glad she hasn't asked me to choose between her and Auburn yet..... because like the Brad paisley song said "I'm gonna miss her,"

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were me lol. My wife is also from MA and had trouble grasping the whole realm of Auburn University and what it means to alumni. She went to a state school and the closest I could tell her was to imagine Red Sox/Yankees in the south.

She has been to many games as well, and I can say this: Going into her 13th year down here, she has done a fine job being accomodating. In fact, she sent me to the BCS Championship when she was 33 weeks pregnant and didn't want to risk making the trip. :hearts:

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were me lol. My wife is also from MA and had trouble grasping the whole realm of Auburn University and what it means to alumni. She went to a state school and the closest I could tell her was to imagine Red Sox/Yankees in the south.

She has been to many games as well, and I can say this: Going into her 13th year down here, she has done a fine job being accomodating. In fact, she sent me to the BCS Championship when she was 33 weeks pregnant and didn't want to risk making the trip. :hearts:

Sounds like you have a keeper!

http://www.youtube.c...0Sfli_8RI?rel=0

I feel ya! I live in Chicago and the lack of college football talk/knowledge is driving me crazy. I also hate that I go past the Houndstooth Bar on my way to/from Wrigley Field. I was waiting to cross the street the other day when a few ladies with Auburn decals on their car drove by, so I guess there are a few of us hidden within the city.

I'm in Chicago as well. Actually, a suburb north of the city. Of course they don't understand your passion for the SEC and Auburn, it's Big 10 country! It's not difficult to find great conversation about college football though. They just happen to love Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Ohio State.

It's not Auburn (what is?!?!?), but the atmosphere at Camp Randall (WI) is pretty great. I can't stand Michigan fans, though they've been a lot easier to take in the past five years. I actually want UAT to win the game against Michigan (and lose all the rest!) just because the UM fans can be unbearable. Funny though, even though my neighborhood is mostly WI, Northwestern and OSU fans, on my block alone there's a huge LSU fan, Florida State fan, and a not very vocal Vandy fan (all graduates of those schools). I love finding my fellow Auburn fans/alum though in all sorts of places around Chicago; my son's XC meet, Cubs game, grocery store, etc.

You probably already know this, but in case you didn't, Auburn fans gather at both Messner's and Hamburger Mary's. Go to the Chicago Auburn Club on Facebook for more info if you are interested.

My sons are going to the Ryder Cup so I hope they're able to give Jason Dufner a big War Eagle!

I was not born nor raised a southerner, but I sure enjoyed Auburn, living in the south, and the friends I made there.

I'm an Alum and my wife if from a small dairy farm in Vermont. She loves Auburn and says often "We're an Auburn family." Of course we've been married 21 years and have a daughter who's a sophomore at AU so I've had some time to work on her.

Archived