Memphis

msg6367

Maybe I am reaching on this; but, Auburn may be involved but not as everyone is speculating. Coaches are obligated to report recruiting violations to the NCAA if they have first hand knowledge of said violation.

Could it be possible that Auburn turned Misssissippi State in for the coat and the cash and that is why the rumored involvement? How Ironic would that be... just sayin!!!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admittedly, I have note been following this very close.

However, recent history suggests that when the story is that "a story is going to be printed soon that says..." it is a story that currently has no real legs (see Jeff Lee stories, Bammer Stories on Cam from Red Snapper and Danny Sheridan, et. al.)

When a reputable journalist has a story, he prints it. He doesn't tell the world he has the story and is going to print it soon. All that does is give his competition a chance to scoop him. IMO, sleazy reporters are doing this so they can claim they had the story first, if/when it breaks (kind of like weathermen in the deep south and snow forecasts).

My take on these "a story is coming out soon that..." reports is that it is usually based on what someone expects, HOPES to or wishes he could find. Of course there is always the chance the reporter may find what he hopes to find and prints the story. However, the fact that they have not printed the story means that they have not yet got it.

I may be proven wrong, but thus far none of those "bad news in the future" stories have come to fruition. To that end, I will worry about it when it happens.

Admittedly, I have note been following this very close.

However, recent history suggests that when the story is that "a story is going to be printed soon that says..." it is a story that currently has no real legs (see Jeff Lee stories, Bammer Stories on Cam from Red Snapper and Danny Sheridan, et. al.)

When a reputable journalist has a story, he prints it. He doesn't tell the world he has the story and is going to print it soon. All that does is give his competition a chance to scoop him. IMO, sleazy reporters are doing this so they can claim they had the story first, if/when it breaks (kind of like weathermen in the deep south and snow forecasts).

My take on these "a story is coming out soon that..." reports is that it is usually based on what someone expects, HOPES to or wishes he could find. Of course there is always the chance the reporter may find what he hopes to find and prints the story. However, the fact that they have not printed the story means that they have not yet got it.

I may be proven wrong, but thus far none of those "bad news in the future" stories have come to fruition. To that end, I will worry about it when it happens.

That's a good philosophy. However, sometimes a developing story takes months. Parts of the story leak out before it is finished, and people draw conclusions and make assumptions. Authors will use this to their advantage. That being said, I like your positive attitude. Until something is proven, let people speculate all they want.

The only wins I count is the ones we won on the field.

Maybe so, but the NCAA's count and yours won't be exactly the same. See the above mentioned forfeits by MSU to Auburn.

I think we can all sleep easy tonight. It's looking more and more like MSU could gonna be the only one with a dog in the fight, no pun intended. There is one situation where things could turn south, but I'm not gonna go there. Man! I cant wait to actually watch some football Saturday. This mess has worn me out. WDE

I just got a late night text, and I think we can all sleep easy tonight. It's looking more and more like MSU could gonna be the only one with a dog in the fight, no pun intended. There is one situation where things could turn south, but I'm not gonna go there. Man! I cant wait to actually watch some football Saturday. This mess has worn me out. WDE

I got the same information. :ut: started all this mess and if :au: did any wrong it is minor thing and a secondary violation at worst.

This is mostly :msu: . :timeout: SLEEP WELL EVERYONE!!! :sleeping:

Finebaum has mentioned it.

Do you realize that you have 13 posts to this thread? Starting with the PF mention and running the spectrum to now having inside information.

3930_chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com.jpg

Do you realize that I didn't want to come out first and say I had inside information? I was just joining the thread like everyone else. I had some info passed to me, which I posted, and was deleted. Then I had 30 people send me a PM asking what my info was. Thats the reason I did not first mention my source or any info. I've responded to all of the private messages, and you can read my post history on this thread and others. Take your "seems legit" crap and shove it. Folks like you are the reason I stay away from these boards in the first place. This whole situation is fluid, and im taking the info I get, and sharing it, without being too specific, or breaking any rules. I'm a respected alum and a supporter of AU athletics, as are a hundred other posters here. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one on this board with privileged information.

Do you realize that you have 13 posts to this thread? Starting with the PF mention and running the spectrum to now having inside information.

Do you realize that I didn't want to come out first and say I had inside information? I was just joining the thread like everyone else. I had some info passed to me, which I posted, and was deleted. Then I had 30 people send me a PM asking what my info was. The reason I first did not mention my source or any info. I've responded to all of the private messages, and you can read my post history on this thread and others. Take your "seems legit" crap and shove it. Folks like you are the reason I stay away from these boards in the first place.

Let me add this in support of Tigerpharm04. I have no idea if he has inside sources and if so how good they are. I can say that he posted something here and the mods removed it and asked him not to post it.

I saw his post and PM'ed him and asked him about it and since the mods did not want him to repeat it, he declined to discuss it further, even privately on this site. Had he wanted to or been trying to generate and spread rumors, he could have and I am quite sure he would have repeated it to me in response to my PM.

He is trying very hard to respect the rules of the board and the mods and I respect him for that.

Do you realize that I didn't want to come out first and say I had inside information? I was just joining the thread like everyone else. I had some info passed to me, which I posted, and was deleted. Then I had 30 people send me a PM asking what my info was. The reason I first did not mention my source or any info. I've responded to all of the private messages, and you can read my post history on this thread and others. Take your "seems legit" crap and shove it. Folks like you are the reason I stay away from these boards in the first place.

Let me add this in support of Tigerpharm04. I have no idea if he has inside sources and if so how good they are. I can say that he posted something here and the mods removed it and asked him not to post it.

I saw his post and PM'ed him and asked him about it and since the mods did not want him to repeat it, he declined to discuss it further, even privately on this site. Had he wanted to or been trying to generate and spread rumors, he could have and I am quite sure he would have repeated it to me in response to my PM.

He is trying very hard to respect the rules of the board and the mods and I respect him for that.

This 10000% he has great info, get off his back, he is not regurgitating crap from the paid sites like others

http://101.gs/7wegmjd

ESPN has this on their front page now

Wow.

Zero mention of Auburn. Or Cam. Or Cecil. Or 180k. I'm shocked.

WDE Let's get though this mess as quickly as possible.

I'm afraid I've got to say I'm disappointed in Phillip Marshall for saying things "looked bad" for Auburn. I've always had a great deal of respect for him and even more back in the day for his dad. I've always heard that kids come to schools with their coaches for unofficial visits all the time. Heck, back in the day my chemistry teacher took a bunch of us to Auburn to see the engineering program there and Auburn put on a pretty good dog and pony show for us. That's what teachers should do even if they went to the school. If all there is is a ride to visit Auburn by one of the teachers at his school thats a bunch of bs even if somehow that gets turned into a secondary violation. If a 7 on 7 coach takes a player on a visit that may be a different ball of yarn.

Marshall has been butt hurt since CTT left and his "sources" left with him. PM is no more an insider than 90% of the the board.

wde

PM is not "butt hurt" over anything. He didn't say it was bad, he said IF what he was hearing was true it "looked bad" for Auburn. PM has not engaged in spreading rumors, he was on the front line defending Cam last year. Honestly I don't know where this stuff gets started. He's been nothing but professional.

And he's got more inside sources at Auburn than about 95% of all the rank and file, message board e-heroes combined.

I would respectfully disagree. I don't believe that there is any significant difference between saying it looks bad for Auburn and "if what I'm hearing is true it looks bad", insofar as him spreading a rumor. He merely qualified his statement AS a rumor when he said it and then he repeated it. That is spreading a rumor.

I'm afraid I've got to say I'm disappointed in Phillip Marshall for saying things "looked bad" for Auburn. I've always had a great deal of respect for him and even more back in the day for his dad. I've always heard that kids come to schools with their coaches for unofficial visits all the time. Heck, back in the day my chemistry teacher took a bunch of us to Auburn to see the engineering program there and Auburn put on a pretty good dog and pony show for us. That's what teachers should do even if they went to the school. If all there is is a ride to visit Auburn by one of the teachers at his school thats a bunch of bs even if somehow that gets turned into a secondary violation. If a 7 on 7 coach takes a player on a visit that may be a different ball of yarn.

Marshall has been butt hurt since CTT left and his "sources" left with him. PM is no more an insider than 90% of the the board.

wde

PM is not "butt hurt" over anything. He didn't say it was bad, he said IF what he was hearing was true it "looked bad" for Auburn. PM has not engaged in spreading rumors, he was on the front line defending Cam last year. Honestly I don't know where this stuff gets started. He's been nothing but professional.

And he's got more inside sources at Auburn than about 95% of all the rank and file, message board e-heroes combined.

I would respectfully disagree. I don't believe that there is any significant difference between saying it looks bad for Auburn and "if what I'm hearing is true it looks bad", insofar as him spreading a rumor. He merely qualified his statement AS a rumor when he said it and then he repeated it. That is spreading a rumor.

Meh. PM's track record speaks for itself and doesn't deserve such ridiculous assumptions. People were bombarding him with questions about it and he answered them. They trust him to shoot straight with them. Just like Jay Tate on the Rivals board tonight. He finally got in touch with some of his contacts with ESPN and they indicated that while Auburn and Jovon would get some mention in the article they are working on, it's not going to focus on us. He doesn't know about the Yahoo article. Had he heard differently from them and Auburn was going to look really bad, he would have said so as well.

The only butthurt I see isn't with PM, it's in this thread.

Hey! AU may end up winning the MSU game after all---by forfeit.

It doesn't work like that.

If they forfeit any wins, it's as if the game never happened. We won't be awarded the victory by default.

You're a bit confused. A MSU forfeit would give AU a win, a MSU vacated win = no one wins. Two different things.

I guess we are arguing semantics; because I can't recall a time when a game was ever forfeited to another team based on NCAA violations.

You must have a short memory then... 1999 was the last one. In fact, the common use of vacated wins is relatively new. In prior years it was more commonly a forfeit. The first common use of Vacated wins started in 2009 with Alabama (vacated 2005, 2006 and 2007 season), followed by FSU in early 2010 (vacated 2006 and 2007 season), then followed later that year with USCw (vacated 2004 and 2005 season) Most noteable is the current Penn State Vacated wins which reach back to 1998. I believe there may have been one or two vacated wins prior to the NCAA starting to use it commonly in 2009 to reach back and slap FSU, Alabama and USCw.. but they mostly used forfeits prior to handing out sanctions in 2009.

http://www.sports-re...iv/forfeits.cgi

I am of the mindset that if a big story was out there they'd just do it and not hint at it. I think it was rockfordpi who said this earlier if not I sorry to have gotten it mixed up but seriously if you are a writer and had a huge story (any story about cheating involving a sec west team is huge right now) why would you tease about it and drag it out. I'd go to work every day and pretend Nothing wAs new and then when my story was ready I'd take it to the bank. Dragging it out to me is a sign of we don't really have a story but if we drag it out we can make a half story seem like something huge. I don't remember there being all this talk before Miami got blown up. It was relatively fast sweeping, I think that is because there were facts to it. This is still rumor. As far as msu goes what I've never understood is we spend two years trying to clear our name for something they openly admit to being involved in but nothing happens to them. Msu is a good team and it's nice to see someone new with a shot at it from time to time but obviously Mulan is not on the up and up there.

http://101.gs/7wegmjd

ESPN has this on their front page now

That's from a radio interview yesterday. That's not the story that everyone is discussing.

$100 handshakes are hard to prove but easy to say you witnessed it. I'm not saying it didn't happen because I think it did but it's hard to prove in an NCAA investigation.

I understand that this is a recruiting violation but how much trouble would MSU get in for only giving $200 to a kid? Im sure they gave more but if this is all they can find then it cant be that substantial of a punishment

As far as msu goes what I've never understood is we spend two years trying to clear our name for something they openly admit to being involved in but nothing happens to them. Msu is a good team and it's nice to see someone new with a shot at it from time to time but obviously Mulan is not on the up and up there.

This is what I don't understand - MSU has had to disassociate more than one booster since Mullen has been there, they had MSU coaches involved in discussions with the boosters (Rogers) which was a former MSU player. Now they've basically fired a coach, disassociated another booster from the program and the folks in charge (NCAA) haven't even slapped them on the wrist.

It's obvious to anyone with a brain that MSU has more than a few rouge boosters crawling around the recruiting landscape, yet the school they are affiliated with gets no punishment or even gets reprimanded for their actions. Makes no sense to me.

Archived