Memphis

msg6367

:sad2:

"Friends, there's no scoop. I live in Memphis, & I can tell you what's being reported in the paper here (you know where you have to put your name on something you write, which is quite opposite internet gossip or sports talk radio speculation). The guidance counselor at Jovon's school says she was asked to change his grade (from a 70 to a 76, a D to a C) & did so. She won't name who asked her, but the implication has been that it was someone she worked with. The teacher of the class saw the grade was wrong and had the grade corrected. The counselor then changed it again. Through that process Auburn received different transcripts with different grades and inquired about the difference. It appears the school didn't realize the grade had been changed a 2nd time until Auburn made them aware. There has been no suggestion in the paper that Auburn did anything amiss in Jovon's case. Then there's another investigation into Miss St's recruitment of someone which led to a coach's resignation and MSU disassociating itself from a booster. There's been no suggestion in the paper that anyone other than MSU is implicated here. Meanwhile there have been several articles about the NCAA questioning a number of coaches in the area about recruitment of athletes in relation to the issue with MSU. Those coaches have all said that they didn't encounter problems in the recruitment of their athletes, & Auburn has not been mentioned at all in those articles. So, sports talk radio and the internet may be filled with gossip & speculation, but the newspaper has printed none of that. I'm sure the gossipers back in Alabama are trying to tie us to all of this, but we are barely part of the conversation here."

This is precisely why I do not listen to Finebaum. Everyone on here quotes Finebaum and ESPN and the rumor and scandal mongers they are. Sorry I listen to Mark Murphy and Jason Caldwell and Philip Marshall. If you cant write and put your name to it I dont care to read and in some cases depending on who you are I still dont want to read it (see Pete Thammel and Thayer Evans_

Did anyone see the above from AU Grad00 ? Why are we still talking about this?

Have you seen the other threads about our team/coaches/starting 0-2?

:sad2:

I'd rather read this and think up possible ways to debunk the rumor-mill than discuss the football team right now.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're still talking about it because some very trusted Auburn people said they'd heard bad news. And a respected Memphis reporter tweeted that something was up. Now their comments are less alarming, but that's why we're talking about it.

One clarification: if Auburn turned in questions about the faulty transcript, that by no means gets Auburn clean off the hook. I'm not saying we're responsible for anything, just pointing out an obvious (if you think about it) fact.

Scenario: An Auburn employee or booster encourages or pays someone to alter the transcript, and it happens. Compliance finds out and inquires. Auburn would get "credit" for the inquiry, but that wouldn't eliminate the (possibly major) violation.

This is assuming lots of things, particularly that the transcript is the issue. But we're a long way from either in trouble or off the hook.

A possible scenario - seems like someone attempted to post something similar in this thread earlier. They just went about it the wrong way.

My thread was deleted. I passed along some info, that I deemed as inside information, but could be looked at as rumor. I'm new to this scene, and I thought that the information would be welcomed. My apologies to the moderators, and the board.

I'm afraid I've got to say I'm disappointed in Phillip Marshall for saying things "looked bad" for Auburn. I've always had a great deal of respect for him and even more back in the day for his dad. I've always heard that kids come to schools with their coaches for unofficial visits all the time. Heck, back in the day my chemistry teacher took a bunch of us to Auburn to see the engineering program there and Auburn put on a pretty good dog and pony show for us. That's what teachers should do even if they went to the school. If all there is is a ride to visit Auburn by one of the teachers at his school thats a bunch of bs even if somehow that gets turned into a secondary violation. If a 7 on 7 coach takes a player on a visit that may be a different ball of yarn.

"Friends, there's no scoop. I live in Memphis, & I can tell you what's being reported in the paper here (you know where you have to put your name on something you write, which is quite opposite internet gossip or sports talk radio speculation). The guidance counselor at Jovon's school says she was asked to change his grade (from a 70 to a 76, a D to a C) & did so. She won't name who asked her, but the implication has been that it was someone she worked with. The teacher of the class saw the grade was wrong and had the grade corrected. The counselor then changed it again. Through that process Auburn received different transcripts with different grades and inquired about the difference. It appears the school didn't realize the grade had been changed a 2nd time until Auburn made them aware. There has been no suggestion in the paper that Auburn did anything amiss in Jovon's case. Then there's another investigation into Miss St's recruitment of someone which led to a coach's resignation and MSU disassociating itself from a booster. There's been no suggestion in the paper that anyone other than MSU is implicated here. Meanwhile there have been several articles about the NCAA questioning a number of coaches in the area about recruitment of athletes in relation to the issue with MSU. Those coaches have all said that they didn't encounter problems in the recruitment of their athletes, & Auburn has not been mentioned at all in those articles. So, sports talk radio and the internet may be filled with gossip & speculation, but the newspaper has printed none of that. I'm sure the gossipers back in Alabama are trying to tie us to all of this, but we are barely part of the conversation here."

This is precisely why I do not listen to Finebaum. Everyone on here quotes Finebaum and ESPN and the rumor and scandal mongers they are. Sorry I listen to Mark Murphy and Jason Caldwell and Philip Marshall. If you cant write and put your name to it I dont care to read and in some cases depending on who you are I still dont want to read it (see Pete Thammel and Thayer Evans_

Did anyone see the above from AU Grad00 ? Why are we still talking about this?

It's a way to keep our minds off of 0-2. ;)

And I need to loose 10 more lbs anyway, why not it worked in 2010 :party:

I'm afraid I've got to say I'm disappointed in Phillip Marshall for saying things "looked bad" for Auburn. I've always had a great deal of respect for him and even more back in the day for his dad. I've always heard that kids come to schools with their coaches for unofficial visits all the time. Heck, back in the day my chemistry teacher took a bunch of us to Auburn to see the engineering program there and Auburn put on a pretty good dog and pony show for us. That's what teachers should do even if they went to the school. If all there is is a ride to visit Auburn by one of the teachers at his school thats a bunch of bs even if somehow that gets turned into a secondary violation. If a 7 on 7 coach takes a player on a visit that may be a different ball of yarn.

Did your momma know where you were? Or did she send out an APB searching for you?

Just kidding - That appears to be some of the more colorful rumors running around the interwebs today. The highschool girlz soccer coach, who happens to be an AU grad, took Jovon on an unofficial visit to Auburn, and his momma didn't know and sent out an APB looking for him.

I'm often amazed at the imaginations some folks in this world have and the crazy things they come up with. :lol:

What this all boils down to is that this 7v7 story is going to be a lot worse for Alabama and so, of course, they're trying to get out in front of it by pointing fingers at Auburn.

I am not sure that I am worried about the 7 on 7 coach(Byron De'Vinner)

He was at the UAT game this past weekend posing for pictures with Vinnie Sunseri. No way little Nikki lets this guy near his players if something is coming down.

Correct De'Vinner is the 7-on-7 coach. He is a huge bama fan. He has been in and around bama's football program a lot in recent years. He also is good friends with Andrew Bone and set up the 7-on-7 camps with him in Memphis. I find it hard to believe that this guy is involved in some kind of scandal with those camps that bama is not heavily involved on some level or they would let him near their program.

Didn't the Yahoo report (Charles Robinson I think) drop a story on Alabama violations in order to publish the Miami Football story a year or so ago. I seem to remember he was going to complete the story in a year or so. Maybe this is it.

Marshall has been butt hurt since CTT left and his "sources" left with him. PM is no more an insider than 90% of the the board.

wde

Marshall has been butt hurt since CTT left and his "sources" left with him. PM is no more an insider than 90% of the the board.

wde

PM is not "butt hurt" over anything. He didn't say it was bad, he said IF what he was hearing was true it "looked bad" for Auburn. PM has not engaged in spreading rumors, he was on the front line defending Cam last year. Honestly I don't know where this stuff gets started. He's been nothing but professional.

And he's got more inside sources at Auburn than about 95% of all the rank and file, message board e-heroes combined.

What this all boils down to is that this 7v7 story is going to be a lot worse for Alabama and so, of course, they're trying to get out in front of it by pointing fingers at Auburn.

De'Vinner was on Smash Mouth radio today talking about seeing $100 & $200 handshakes with the former MSU recruit. This sounds like a a smokescreen. He did not say much else, except that ESPN was the only organization investigating. He didn't do an interview with them. My guess is that he is deflecting big time.

Didn't the Yahoo report (Charles Robinson I think) drop a story on Alabama violations in order to publish the Miami Football story a year or so ago. I seem to remember he was going to complete the story in a year or so. Maybe this is it.

He was working on something. I remember him stating he had to drop what he was working on to get the Miami Story out before Shaparo (sp?) was transferred and he lost all contact with him. But he never publicly stated it was on Bama.

De'Vinner was on Smash Mouth radio today talking about seeing $100 & $200 handshakes with the former MSU recruit. This sounds like a a smokescreen. He did not say much else, except that ESPN was the only organization investigating. He didn't do an interview with them. My guess is that he is deflecting big time.

He stated that a Jacket and a couple of $100 dollar hadshakes were given to the MSU recruit from memphis and that the Miss State coaches knew about all of it. He said he didnt have any info on Auburn.

Another reality check: Rhonda Wilkinson is still the soccer coach, while the two counselors are not. If she was involved in kidnapping and grade changing, I'm pretty sure she would have been fired.

wde

Phillip is a quality journalist. He reports what he knows. In this case he reported that there are nasty rumors floating...and there are.

I pay to subscribe to his site for his accuracy, and his perspective.

Pretty sure PM saw reason to retweet this, so it looks like we are dealing with extra benefits as part of the allegations.

http://twitter.com/PMARSHONAU/statuses/245640411266289664

RT @HeadtoHeadRadio: Devinner says he saw handshake between booster and Redmond for "100, 200 dollars." Other benefits mentioned. no vehicle

Pretty sure PM saw reason to retweet this, so it looks like we are dealing with extra benefits as part of the allegations.

http://twitter.com/P...640411266289664

RT @HeadtoHeadRadio: Devinner says he saw handshake between booster and Redmond for "100, 200 dollars." Other benefits mentioned. no vehicle

Redmond is not an Auburn player, he's M$U's guy.

Archived