Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Having the Megawheat now. It's good, not great. Plenty of citrus. Balanced out by sweet malt, approaching my threshold. I definitely pick up on a hint bubblegum flavor on the back end, which I'm attributing to the wheat. 

I won't be buying another bomber, but I'd try it on draft if nothing else struck my attention. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proud papa report. Unfortunately, my wife and I both have horrible colds (don't feel bad for me, feel bad for her. I can medicate.) but we've still had a busy and fun weekend. Soccer tournament. My middle child just started her second season of competitive academy soccer. She got close a few times this fall, but hadn't managed to bury one. She's a fullback so she doesn't get many chances unless she's shooting from distance. Last night, she finally got over that hump and cracked one home on a one timer from about 30 yards out. This morning she buried her second, also from distance. She's come a long way. 

A4E81A4D-2547-48E6-84A3-A722D9884FBF_zps

EE88C7B9-94C5-4F91-AFB7-0FB0AB82ABC0_zps

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

30 yards out!? That's awesome @Bigbens42

It was in the 4th minute in the course of a 4-3 win in the Vestavia Invitational. She's got a good leg and hit it perfectly. Caught it rolling to her and hit it like a fastball right down the pipe. The one this morning was unfortunately in the course of a loss to BUSA in Trussville, but she received it about 3 yards outside the box, took a touch to set herself and cranked it low into the right side of the goal.

I was a keeper and that's what I wanted her to play, but she's just so good in the field. Tackles and distributes very well. Just need to work on her skill moves, but she's still relatively green and that will come. 

Good thing is that we're 2-0 in the Vestavia Invitational. A draw tomorrow and we win the tourney.

Congrats @Bigbens42! Bet that first goal sent you to a pretty special place. Get well soon, Mrs. 42. You too, @Tiger Refuge. I know you're no less proud. And I respect the mise en place you had going for that pasta.

Funny, my little monkey actually had her first soccer practice yesterday. She's 2. She did great. She accepts instruction and actually shows an aptitude for dribbling. No clue if she'll grow into a natural, truly competitive athlete but I couldn't be happier about the results so far. 

Wish I had something interesting on the beer front but just local IPAs for me last night. I've been on heavy daddy duty this week, though, and I might get some me time at the pub this afternoon...

On 2/20/2017 at 2:36 PM, Bigbens42 said:

Sir? LOL.

Ten Fidy is going to start getting rare here relatively soon. It's a fall/winter release. Keep an eye out. If you can't find it but are still itching to give it a go, let me know and we'll work something out.

Aunt Sally has come up here before. I believe 78 brought it up. I've personally never had it. Passed it by a few times. Sour Monkey should be similar.

I tend to view sours as summer beers. There's nothing better than a Westbrook Gose after mowing the lawn or a gueuze on the seawall while watching the sunset. I love sours, but I'll warn you as Shocks warned me a few years back, "take heed, the path to sours is an expensive one."

Agree with Ben on the summer thing and sours. Drank plenty Aunt Sally's poolside last year and definitely enjoyed them. I am trying to recall a Lagunitas I don't enjoy. Little Sumpin', CitruSinesis, and 12th of Never are a few more Lagunitas selections I view as summer/pool worthy.  :cheers: 

On 2/25/2017 at 9:02 AM, McLoofus said:

Evil Twin Bring a Gun to Knife Fight... boy howdy

I had an Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail last week and was somewhat disappointed.

Hope the Pale Ale you mention makes it to the pig.

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

I had an Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail last week and was somewhat disappointed.

Hope the Pale Ale you mention makes it to the pig.

If you're getting any of the "juicy"/"NE style" IPAs that we've been discussing, well... it's one of those. Almost tastes like grapefruit juice was added. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If you're getting any of the "juicy"/"NE style" IPAs that we've been discussing, well... it's one of those. Almost tastes like grapefruit juice was added. 

Looking forward to that very much! My favorite style.

Stopped by the Homewood Pig on the way home today. Picked up OB Ten FIDY, OB Death by Coconut, Founders Frootwood, NCoast Old Rasputin and Lagunitas Sucks.

Interesting beer the Frootwood. Not sure I've had a beer like that before. Sweet, sour, with a hint of a bourbon. Honestly seems like another beer I'd enjoy poolside. 

For the record, they have Westbrook Gose for $10.95.

23 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Stopped by the Homewood Pig on the way home today. Picked up OB Ten FIDY, OB Death by Coconut, Founders Frootwood, NCoast Old Rasputin and Lagunitas Sucks.

Interesting beer the Frootwood. Not sure I've had a beer like that before. Sweet, sour, with a hint of a bourbon. Honestly seems like another beer I'd enjoy poolside. 

Did they have the bourbon barrel aged Ten Fidy? Found that one at the Clay Pig and loved it. Snapped up the last of their stock.  

4 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Did they have the bourbon barrel aged Ten Fidy? Found that one at the Clay Pig and loved it. Snapped up the last of their stock.  

I looked. Did not see it.

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

That Old Rasputin is a go to for me. It'll also punch you in the face if you're not careful.

@Barnacle, have you had the White Oak version? 

Love Old Rasputin (going back to previous posts). One of my first great RISs. Stumbled into a North Coast beer dinner- 2006 I think- that ended up being a formative beer experience. They paired the Ole Raspy with a bleu cheese and orange marmalade "grilled cheese sandwich". I highly recommend everybody try this. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Never seen the White Oak version, but that's one beer I enjoy the hell out of every time I drink one. 

Much different. Not necessarily better or worse. Just very distinctive. 

CCB is a little odd in their distribution, though, so who knows when and where it can be found. We just got it in GA after only having CCB's standard lineup for years. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Much different. Not necessarily better or worse. Just very distinctive. 

CCB is a little odd in their distribution, though, so who knows when and where it can be found. We just got it in GA after only having CCB's standard lineup for years. 

I did notice something else from CCB in the cooler last night when I bought the Jai Alai, could have been it. '

edit: Nope, it was the Vanilla Maduro

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I did notice something else from CCB in the cooler last night when I bought the Jai Alai, could have been it. '

edit: Nope, it was the Vanilla Maduro

Nice. I've only had the regular Maduro. 

On 2/28/2017 at 9:30 AM, Barnacle said:

This is my happy place

20170227_192213.jpg

First ran into it at a beer fest/Orange Beach

Even better - found it's actually available in my neighborhoods

Had several over the weekend but, kids in town, had to fight for each one.

Archived