Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

My local grocery has stepped up their beer game. I picked up a 6 pack of Scrimshaw Pilsner last night. I like it...a lot. They had several others that I want to try including Old Rasputin, several selections from Green Flash, and some new local brews.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Rasputin is a great beer for the style. Not as great Ten Fidy or Narwhal, IMO, but that's saying a lot because those are my two favorite RISs so far.

This is the best time of year to enjoy it, too.

Branched out tonight and decided to try a gueuze . Never tried any lambic before and heard this was a good intro for newbs like me. 3 year old bottle of Cuvée Rene.

Try Petrus Aged Pale for another entry level sour. Rodenbach original is another good choice. Both are pretty widely available and won't break the bank. The path to sours is an expensive one, so take heed.

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually enjoyed the Cuvée Rene. That initial wave of tartness can be a bit of a shock, but I enjoyed it so much I sucked down the entire pint. I'll likely go buy the last three Publix had in stock and cellar two of them. I hear they'll keep for 15 years.

Yeah, most sours have a pretty long shelf life. If you want to really give your taste buds a shock, grab a New Belgium La Folie. They just released the 2015 version. Personally, I like NB Le Terroir better--more balance and it's dry hopped.

Gose is an interesting style too. Not very common in the US, but they pack a hell of a kick in terms of tartness. They're a bit salty too, which is quite peculiar. Look for Westbrook Gose. Anderson Valley also has a regular gose and a blood orange version too.

As a matter of fact, I saw some Gose the other day. I'll stop and snag some. Can't be sure, but it might have even been Westbrook.

As a matter of fact, I saw some Gose the other day. I'll stop and snag some. Can't be sure, but it might have even been Westbrook.

goseBIG.jpg

It's something special. I haven't had the Lindeman's you spoke of(though it's got a pretty decent beeradvocate score), but I can all but guarantee it'll be more sour than that gueuze.

Old Rasputin is a great beer for the style. Not as great Ten Fidy or Narwhal, IMO, but that's saying a lot because those are my two favorite RISs so far.

This is the best time of year to enjoy it, too.

I finally tried Ten Fidy again this weekend for the first time in years. So freaking good. Absolutely better than many of the limited releases that get so much hype (with a price tag to match).

Makes me want to go camping just so I can pack in a world class stout in cans.

I finally tried Ten Fidy again this weekend for the first time in years. So freaking good. Absolutely better than many of the limited releases that get so much hype (with a price tag to match).

Makes me want to go camping just so I can pack in a world class stout in cans.

I love the stuff. I'm going to crack one open as soon as the snow gets here. Sitting on my counter to warm up a bit right now.

Having a New Belgium Cocoa Mole porter currently. It's awfully thin, even for a porter. However, it's pretty good. I'm not picking up any spice from the peppers yet--we'll see if they come about as it warms up. I'm not a big fan of NB(I think they're one of the worst in Fort Collins), but I would recommend this one and any of their sours.

Just going to gripe on NB a bit, I really get annoyed with their "limited" tap list at the brewery. I'll expound on that a little: Funkwerks, Equinox, Odell, etc. ALL have a decent or good rotating tap list with new and exciting stuff on tap on a weekly basis. The list below is virtually the exact same as it was when we went back in June of last year(except the seasonals). The "small batch" Lips of Faith series is the exact same except the Salted Belgian and Cocoa Mole.

It really drives me crazy that a brewery that large(largest in Fort Collins) can't experiment more on a smaller scale. Odell has a small scale brewing operation that they use specifically for experimental beers; and the list is different every time we go in, which is just about once a week.

Lips of Faith (small batch)

Gratzer (3 Floyds Collaboration)

Salted Belgian Chocolate Stout - nitro

Wild2 Dubbel

Gruit

Yuzu

Cocoa Molé

Sour Beers

La Folie (Friday)

NBB Love Oscar (Sunday)

Oscar Worthy Coffee - nitro (once Salted Belgian kicks)

Garage Series

Ted's Beer

Seasonals

Porch Swing

Year-rounders

NEW: Slow Ride Session IPA

Fat Tire Amber Ale

Snapshot Wheat

Ranger IPA

1554 Black Lager

Rampant Imperial IPA

Blue Paddle Pilsener Lager

Sunshine Wheat

Shift Pale Lager

Abbey Belgian Style Dubbel Ale

Trippel Ale

Sampled Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged today. I liked it. Smooth beer.

Also had a Left Hand Milk Stout. Solid. Way better than an espresso!

p.s. Another please!

Wow! It is getting better with each sip. Who knew a fine beer could have that effect?

52 wonderful pages on beer......................does an old mans heart greatly and makes me so proud.................................. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Just going to gripe on NB a bit, I really get annoyed with their "limited" tap list at the brewery. I'll expound on that a little: Funkwerks, Equinox, Odell, etc. ALL have a decent or good rotating tap list with new and exciting stuff on tap on a weekly basis. The list below is virtually the exact same as it was when we went back in June of last year(except the seasonals). The "small batch" Lips of Faith series is the exact same except the Salted Belgian and Cocoa Mole.

It really drives me crazy that a brewery that large(largest in Fort Collins) can't experiment more on a smaller scale. Odell has a small scale brewing operation that they use specifically for experimental beers; and the list is different every time we go in, which is just about once a week.

Lips of Faith (small batch)

Gratzer (3 Floyds Collaboration)

Salted Belgian Chocolate Stout - nitro

Wild2 Dubbel

Gruit

Yuzu

Cocoa Molé

Sour Beers

La Folie (Friday)

NBB Love Oscar (Sunday)

Oscar Worthy Coffee - nitro (once Salted Belgian kicks)

Garage Series

Ted's Beer

Seasonals

Porch Swing

Year-rounders

NEW: Slow Ride Session IPA

Fat Tire Amber Ale

Snapshot Wheat

Ranger IPA

1554 Black Lager

Rampant Imperial IPA

Blue Paddle Pilsener Lager

Sunshine Wheat

Shift Pale Lager

Abbey Belgian Style Dubbel Ale

Trippel Ale

Almost every single one of those beers has made an appearance in GA. Maaaaybe not the Gruit, the Oscars or the Garage Series. My point being... what you said. That's disappointing.

I will say in their favor, though, that they do some great stuff socially (trying to expand bicycle use, etc.- they actually done some pretty cool stuff here in Atlanta). But this isn't an activism thread, so sexy up that tap room a little, NB!

Just had a Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale. Stuff's got some kick at 8.5% ABV but masks it well.

I really love the Wee Heavy style of beer.

Just had a Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale. Stuff's got some kick at 8.5% ABV but masks it well.

Keep an eye out for Backwoods Bastard. It's bourbon barrel aged Dirty Bastard and it's fantastic.

Comes out in the Fall.

Keep an eye out for Backwoods Bastard. It's bourbon barrel aged Dirty Bastard and it's fantastic.

Comes out in the Fall.

Agreed with both posts.

Let me know what you think about that Marlin, Shocks. It's pretty straightforward and just super drinkable, but not in a boring way IMO.

Also picked up a sixer of Cigar City Florida Cracker Belgian-style White Ale. Looking forward to that one.

Had a business trip to Tampa last week and stopped by Cigar City. The Florida Cracker from draft was pretty good for the style. Would by Allagash White over this any day if I had the choice though.

Also had their White Oak Jai Alai (barrel aged IPA), which was phenomenal, and their Portmanteau sour session IPA. This one was not to my liking. Tasted more like a shandy; sweet with a lemonade tartness. Not sure how the IPA worked into the name?

Their Maduro brown ale is also pretty good and relatively easy to find.

Probably took their IPA and threw some lacto or brett or some other wild yeast/bacteria in it.

No, I'm familiar with sours. I was just referring to my take on it and how I didn't detect any base IPA flavor. Kind of like comparing Victory Hop Devil and Wild Devil side by side. You can definitely pick out the underlying IPA and what the brett brings to it.

Archived