Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work. I've got an Epic BBB in the cellar, saving it- along with a dozen or so other biggies like an Abyss, Hunahpu's, Stickee Monkee, etc.- for another 6 weeks or so until after my wife delivers our baby. She let me go beer crazy on a couple trips earlier in the year- one to Vermont, so you can imagine the damage I did up there- so the tradeoff was that I'd save some killer stuff for her. She has no idea.

Surprised y'all are just now getting Ballast Point. But I guess maybe market saturation and other factors are just as important as geography when it comes to distribution decisions.

Had the Stone Xocoveza last night. Good stuff. Not quite Mexican Cake, but a lot cheaper and easier to get.

Well I'm more of a Bourbon man personally. But if I had to rank the best & worst beers I've tasted:

Best

yuengling-logo.jpg

And Worst

samuel-adams_400x400.png

Definitely obvious you're a bourbon drinker. ;)

For sure I am. I've never got into all the "craft" beers and micro-brews that all the younger yuppies and hipsters are into.

For the record, I enjoy Yuengling. I used to drink it regularly if I was on a budget. It's not distributed in Colorado that I've seen--I kind of miss it.

I usually don't keep beer but when i do it's Yungling. Not sure what you mean by "budget" though. From what I've seen it's the same price as beers like Bud & Michelob.

For the record, I enjoy Yuengling. I used to drink it regularly if I was on a budget. It's not distributed in Colorado that I've seen--I kind of miss it.

I usually don't keep beer but when i do it's Yungling. Not sure what you mean by "budget" though. From what I've seen it's the same price as beers like Bud & Michelob.

It's few dollars cheaper than what I normally drink.

It's few dollars cheaper than what I normally drink.

Guess it's a matter of perception. I normally stick to bourbon so pretty much all beer seems cheap to me.

You might like a bourbon barrel aged barley wine or stout.

I'd try it but if you get much past a cube of ice or two added to bourbon I'm usually not liking it. Although I will enjoy a good bourbon & coke from time to time.

I think that's the point. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Seattle for our anniversary trip. Naturally, I had to check out any breweries in the area. Kind of an underwhelming city for breweries. We did, however, visit Fremont a couple times. They make some good stuff. They've got a DIPA called Sister that was mighty fine. I also tried their BBA Darkstar Oatmeal Stout. It was better than FW Velvet Merkin IMO. I decided to track one down(they sold out at the brewery) to pack one into our checked bag and bring it home.

61DB4FDE-7BC6-47F2-99CD-2149F2FC833E_zpsclvdpjcm.jpg

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20680/81191/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone get any Bourbon County '14? I had to work, but my wife and in-laws were able to get an allotment of 2 bottles per person of the regular stout. I also had them grab just a couple of the barley wines. We didn't get any variants.

I called around after work and the town was dry. I was expecting to at least get a couple bottles from my less picked over spot. Alas. The bourbon county locusts picked Fort Collins apart.

Anyone tried Bells Amber Ale? Had it last night at T-Mac in ATL and it was fantastic.

I like it as well. In fact, I like most of the Bell's products I've sampled.

Had a Cinnamon Horchata Ale from Blue Moon last night that I enjoyed. Also enjoyed a Bells Scotch Ale!

You made me think of an excellent horchata margarita I had at La Cava del Tequila in Epcot. I need to get the recipe and whip one of those up.

Had a Cinnamon Horchata Ale from Blue Moon last night that I enjoyed. Also enjoyed a Bells Scotch Ale!

You might enjoy the Xocoveza from Stone if you can find it.

http://www.ratebeer....a-stout/280743/

Anybody had Back Forty's Fence Post session ale? I really enjoyed it. The ratings are unkind, but I have a feeling that's because it leans more towards an English-style pale ale than a typical American hop bomb. I find a lot of session ales to be all bitterness and aroma and no body, so this was a really refreshing change.

There's a brewery in Kennesaw, GA called Burnt Hickory. They just did an expansion and should hopefully be getting cans and/or bottles out soon. Everything they do is great, but I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a bomber of their Kolb's Farm imperial stout. It was unreal. If you've had Sierra Nevada's Narwhal, it was like a bigger, bourbon-aged version of that (haven't had the BA Narwhal, but I hear it lost a lot of the normal character in the aging... plus it's pricey). Anyway, main point is keep an eye out for Burnt Hickory beers.

Also, if you're in or near Marshall County, AL, a new brewery called Main Channel is opening in Guntersville. Not sure when they'll launch, but I've had a couple of their beers and those guys know what they're doing.

Archived