Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

You might enjoy the Xocoveza from Stone if you can find it.

I can vouch for this recommendation. Local gas station had two bombers a few weeks back. I bought one and haven't been able to find another since. It's a fine drink.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burnt Hickory was just starting to make its way into Chattanooga when I moved to Colorado in June. My buddy used to DJ at their open houses on Saturdays from time to time, in which they'd pay him in growlers.

We split a growler of the Didjits Blood Orange IPA one evening, it was a fantastic beer.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28606/81056/

I can vouch for this recommendation. Local gas station had two bombers a few weeks back. I bought one and haven't been able to find another since. It's a fine drink.

3rded. I rarely by the same beer more than once, but I bought several of these when they were on the shelf. Excellent stout for $7 or $8 around here.

Burnt Hickory was just starting to make its way into Chattanooga when I moved to Colorado in June. My buddy used to DJ at their open houses on Saturdays from time to time, in which they'd pay him in growlers.

We split a growler of the Didjits Blood Orange IPA one evening, it was a fantastic beer.

http://www.beeradvoc...le/28606/81056/

Small world. They're cool guys. Well, for the most part. Scott's an interesting dude. Their open houses are a ton of fun, but I can only day drink in Kennesaw every so often.

I had no idea they were already getting on taps in Chattanooga, much less in June. They're not even very widely available in Atlanta.

Quite a fine evening shared with another couple.

F319DEDC-1C5F-419E-809E-DA630F1C2908_zpskrgihss8.jpg

Impressive lineup. How was the Tweak? I asked somebody who was out there recently to bring me some back, but they didn't have it where he stopped in.

Quite a fine evening shared with another couple.

F319DEDC-1C5F-419E-809E-DA630F1C2908_zpskrgihss8.jpg

Impressive lineup. How was the Tweak? I asked somebody who was out there recently to bring me some back, but they didn't have it where he stopped in.

It was good. Lots of alcohol. I'd like to try it up against Founders Breakfast Stout and Terrapin's Wake-n-Bake. Seemed like it was a little on the thin side. Price was steep for a 12oz, so I don't know if I'd buy it again.

Had a Cinnamon Horchata Ale from Blue Moon last night that I enjoyed. Also enjoyed a Bells Scotch Ale!

http://www.ratebeer....a-stout/280743/

Anybody had Back Forty's Fence Post session ale? I really enjoyed it. The ratings are unkind, but I have a feeling that's because it leans more towards an English-style pale ale than a typical American hop bomb. I find a lot of session ales to be all bitterness and aroma and no body, so this was a really refreshing change.

There's a brewery in Kennesaw, GA called Burnt Hickory. They just did an expansion and should hopefully be getting cans and/or bottles out soon. Everything they do is great, but I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a bomber of their Kolb's Farm imperial stout. It was unreal. If you've had Sierra Nevada's Narwhal, it was like a bigger, bourbon-aged version of that (haven't had the BA Narwhal, but I hear it lost a lot of the normal character in the aging... plus it's pricey). Anyway, main point is keep an eye out for Burnt Hickory beers.

Thanks!

Also, if you're in or near Marshall County, AL, a new brewery called Main Channel is opening in Guntersville. Not sure when they'll launch, but I've had a couple of their beers and those guys know what they're doing.

I'd love to try it... Im in Albertville!

Had a Cinnamon Horchata Ale from Blue Moon last night that I enjoyed. Also enjoyed a Bells Scotch Ale!

You made me think of an excellent horchata margarita I had at La Cava del Tequila in Epcot. I need to get the recipe and whip one of those up.

Really a margarita? Hmmm interesting... If you find the recipe let me know!

You made me think of an excellent horchata margarita I had at La Cava del Tequila in Epcot. I need to get the recipe and whip one of those up.

Really a margarita? Hmmm interesting... If you find the recipe let me know!

1.5 oz Tequila Blanco

1 oz Chila Orchata Rum

.2 oz Fireball Whiskey

.2 oz Agave Nectar

5 oz Agua de Horchata

4 oz Ice

Dash of Cinnamon

EDIT: Here's a recipe for the Agua de Horchata

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup uncooked, long grain rice

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoons good quality vanilla extract

1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

7 cups, cold filtered water

Ice cubes for serving

Whole cinnamon sticks for garnish

METHOD

Place the rice in a medium-sized bowl and add enough water to cover by one inch. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to soak overnight.

The following morning, place the rice and its soaking liquid into a blender. Add the cinnamon and vanilla and blend on high for at least 30 seconds. Pour the blended rice, cinnamon and vanilla mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large serving pitcher, reserving the sandy rice sediment.

Return the reserved sediment to the jar of the blender and add the sweetened condensed milk along with 2 cups of cold water. Blend again on high for at least 30 seconds. Repeat the same straining procedure as in step 2, making sure to press on the rice solids to extract as much liquid as possible. You may now discard the rice sediment.

Rinse your strainer thoroughly before lining it with two layers of dampened cheesecloth. Pour the contents of the pitcher back through the cheesecloth lined strainer into a large bowl. Pour the contents of the bowl into the pitcher for the last and final strain. Add 3 more cups of water to further dilute the mixture. Make sure to stir the pitcher before serving in order to reincorporate the sediment. Serve over ice and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

Makes about 2 quarts

Visiting my folks in Memphis for the holidays. Boy, am I spoiled in Colorado. The beer/liquor stores have a long way to go in terms of craft beer. They DO stock it, but no one is buying. I came across several way out of date IPAs. Schlafly American IPA(the high grav one) had bottle dates of 2/28/14 in more than one place.

To have something that old on the shelf leads me to believe the distributor cut them a good deal on a multi-case sale of old beer...because they had the beer case stacked(probably a buy one get one deal they took advantage of). It's going to sit there forever. Downright shameful for the distributor to do that, but also awfully ignorant on the retailer's side too. Long way to go with this town and craft beer, but they're trying. Recently amended beer and liquor laws have the retailers thinking ahead.

Visiting my folks in Memphis for the holidays. Boy, am I spoiled in Colorado. The beer/liquor stores have a long way to go in terms of craft beer. They DO stock it, but no one is buying. I came across several way out of date IPAs. Schlafly American IPA(the high grav one) had bottle dates of 2/28/14 in more than one place.

To have something that old on the shelf leads me to believe the distributor cut them a good deal on a multi-case sale of old beer...because they had the beer case stacked(probably a buy one get one deal they took advantage of). It's going to sit there forever. Downright shameful for the distributor to do that, but also awfully ignorant on the retailer's side too. Long way to go with this town and craft beer, but they're trying. Recently amended beer and liquor laws have the retailers thinking ahead.

I think in a lot of areas it just depends on where you go. In less beer-forward areas (read: anywhere other than the West Coast, CO or VT), there are more and more craft beer shops and wine shops that are relatively recently taking an interest in beer. At places like that, you won't see those shelf turds. But yeah, a lot of package stores don't really care and will let the wrong beers rot on the shelves (or sit right there in a south-facing window absorbing UV light all day, etc.).

But to your original point: hell yeah you're spoiled in Colorado!

It's just funny, the difference in beer culture in Memphis compared to that of Chattanooga and Nashville. Two cities where it's a big deal, but here no one cares as much. But like I said, they're trying.

A few breweries have sprung up in the past year or two, so there's promise.

We went to Wiseacre yesterday and sampled just about everything they had to offer. I really like their IPA, Ananda. They also had a decent coffee stout(Gotta Get Up to Get Down), that had a lot of flavor at only 5%, although it was a bit on the thin side. Their American Pilsner, Tiny Bomb, was excellent(for a pilsner)--4.5%, would be great in the Summer for poolside or tailgating or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's probably the subculture in general. The Appalachia and Bluegrass regions are most renown for their moonshine and whiskey. However their southern neighbors AL & GA are starting to see microbreweries spring up in recent years.

Did you enjoy the Dino Smores? It dropped in GA recently I think. Haven't seen it on any taps, I think just a few cases hit the retailers. Unless I'm confusing it with another beer. Also, what's the price tag look like? I'm kind of over some of the prices on some of these beers. Prairie's Christmas Bomb is $8 for a 12 oz bottle here in GA. I'm not sure I paid that much for freaking Westy 12. The normal Bomb is quite good, but it fell short of expectations. The hype machine really needs to educate its palate IMO. Meanwhile, I got a Ballast Point Black Marlin for $5/bomber. Amazing beer, great price. But it's "just a porter", so there it sits.

Love the Odell IPA in the snow. Talk about taking advantage of your local resources.

Dino S'mores was $8.99 a bottle, $30 a 4 pack. I bought two, doubt I'll buy anymore. It's a delicious beer, but at that price, it costs more than Bourbon County.

Christmas Bomb was good, better than the original IMO. Regular Bomb really didn't do much for me.

Victory At Sea from Ballast Point is also a good porter.

Dino S'mores was $8.99 a bottle, $30 a 4 pack. I bought two, doubt I'll buy anymore. It's a delicious beer, but at that price, it costs more than Bourbon County.

Christmas Bomb was good, better than the original IMO. Regular Bomb really didn't do much for me.

Victory At Sea from Ballast Point is also a good porter.

I've enjoyed previous runs of the Victory at Sea more than this one. Definitely enjoyed the Black Marlin more.

No Black Marlin to be found.

I did, however, grab a Ballast Point Indra Kunindra(sp?). Has curry, cayenne, coconut, and kafir limes in it. Very peculiar beer. Heavy on the coconut and curry with subtle burn of the cayenne on the finish.

No Black Marlin to be found.

I did, however, grab a Ballast Point Indra Kunindra(sp?). Has curry, cayenne, coconut, and kafir limes in it. Very peculiar beer. Heavy on the coconut and curry with subtle burn of the cayenne on the finish.

I really enjoyed that beer. Maybe because I was expecting "weird" and got "pleasantly weird". And, yeah, it went well with Indian leftovers.

I think I'll be having a Narwhal tonight.

I think that if we had paired it with some Indian food, I would've enjoyed it more. Alas.

Narwhal is a great beer.

Supposedly a local spot, Black Bottle, has Cinnamon Toast Crunch stout making the rounds. Going to have to run by the brewery tomorrow and see if it's still on.

I had a tequila barrel aged Odell Myrcenary DIPA last week at the brewery. It was amazing. Tequila on the nose, but not much to speak of until the finish--becomes more apparent as it warms up. Myrcenary by itself is a fantastic beer.

I think maybe the Myrcenary I tried wasn't super fresh. I got it in Wyoming. I'm a huge fan of tequila-aged beers (when done right), and that makes sense w/ a big DIPA like that. Sounds fantastic, as does that milk stout. I might have to see if my buddy in Centennial will ship me some (I'm out of the trading game for the foreseeable future).

Myrcenary, when fresh, should be really citrusy. Not much malt. Super well balanced. One of the best DIPAs I've had. Most seem to be too heavy on the malt for my tastes.

I'd like to get into trading, but it always seems like a lot of money and hassle to ship and then hope that the package(s) aren't intercepted or broken. I shipped a couple bombers(Velvet Merkin and Fremont's BBA stout) to my dad for about $20.

Archived