Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Myrcenary, when fresh, should be really citrusy. Not much malt. Super well balanced. One of the best DIPAs I've had. Most seem to be too heavy on the malt for my tastes.

I'd like to get into trading, but it always seems like a lot of money and hassle to ship and then hope that the package(s) aren't intercepted or broken. I shipped a couple bombers(Velvet Merkin and Fremont's BBA stout) to my dad for about $20.

I never had any problem with packages not arriving intact, but I didn't trade as much as some folks do. And the money and hassle are significant. But it's still fun and addictive.

After reading your notes on Myrcenary, I'm certain the one I had definitely had faded into something unremarkable. And I agree about DIPAs in general.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did you decide to quit trafing(for now), if you don't mind my asking?

Had a baby. Between the time, the expense and the way that baby stuff has taken over all available space... yeah.

Finally got my hands on some Good People Snake Handler tonight. Great stuff, but it packs a heck of a punch!

Finally got my hands on some Good People Snake Handler tonight. Great stuff, but it packs a heck of a punch!

Agreed. It'll sneak up on ya. Like... a... snake... ugh, I'm sorry.

So impressed with how quickly the scene is growing in Alabama. A lot of those guys were absolutely ready for the hops to be freed. And I'm delighted that we get Straight to Ale (limited releases, even... Cabernet-aged Laika??? Yes, please!) and Back Forty in GA.

Burnt Hickory finally hit shelves over here. Bombers of their Cannon Dragger IPA and Big Shanty Graham Cracker Stout. Had the IPA last night. Amazing. Will have the stout today while watching the games. They and Wrecking Bar are my favorite GA breweries. Wrecking Bar will be distributing in the next year or so, too.

Victory Golden Monkey. It's OK, but I've had better tripels. You have to pour it very aggressively to get a good head.

I did a Victory tasting at the beer/liquor store I worked at once. Hop Devil, Hop Wallop(now on "hiatus") and Golden Monkey. I found that most of the wine drinkers preferred GM to the other two. I sold more 6 packs of that than I did the two IPAs.

So if you are ever with a wine snob who refuses to give beer a shot, throw one of those down their gullet.

I did a Victory tasting at the beer/liquor store I worked at once. Hop Devil, Hop Wallop(now on "hiatus") and Golden Monkey. I found that most of the wine drinkers preferred GM to the other two. I sold more 6 packs of that than I did the two IPAs.

So if you are ever with a wine snob who refuses to give beer a shot, throw one of those down their gullet.

Duly noted. That it would appeal to wine drinkers makes sense. See if I can get my wife to try one. :laugh:

About to crack open a Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale. I've heard good things.

EDIT: Lives up to the hype. It's knock your socks off good.

Snake Handler is awesome! Have you made it to the brewery?

Had some Goose Island IPA recently. Very good.

Wife and I had our wedding reception there. ;)

Got a hold of the Snake Handler at a steak place called Crazy Horse in Argo. Nice place to eat with a decent craft beer selection. Pricey though.

Had a Speedway Stout from AleSmith earlier. I'd had it before, but not in a long time. Forgot what a massive combination of caffeine and alcohol that thing is. A lot of huge stouts have come out in the years since that one hit shelves, but it still stands very tall among them.

Waiting on wifey to be in the mood to drink a sour with me. Have a New Glarus Raspberry Tart I'm dying to try. They do magical things with fruit and beer.

I see that Speedway Stout on the shelf all the time, yet I always pass on it for no apparent reason. I recognize that it's good, maybe I'll grab a bottle tomorrow.

Let me know how that New Glarus is. I've got a bottle of Serendipity that I have stashed away for a special occasion. I traded a '13 BCBS for it. Haven't had anything from NG other than Spotted Cow. I really wish they'd expand their distribution, but I admire them for keeping it in state and not "selling out", so to speak.

I see that Speedway Stout on the shelf all the time, yet I always pass on it for no apparent reason. I recognize that it's good, maybe I'll grab a bottle tomorrow.

Let me know how that New Glarus is. I've got a bottle of Serendipity that I have stashed away for a special occasion. I traded a '13 BCBS for it. Haven't had anything from NG other than Spotted Cow. I really wish they'd expand their distribution, but I admire them for keeping it in state and not "selling out", so to speak.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Spotted Cow, but maybe because I had no expectations. It was an extra in a trade, which is how I got a few different NG beers (not sure if you're familiar with the concept of "extras" in beer trading, but it's one of my favorite aspects). Judging by what else I've had from them, I think you probably made a good trade.

If you see the Speedway on the shelf all the time, then that's probably why you pass on it. I might also if it were regularly available to me, or if I lived in a beer mecca like you do. There's also the price tag to consider.

Do you get any of the really cool Firestone Walker stuff where you are? I wish they distributed here.

I'm pretty familiar with most facets of beer trading thanks to different Facebook groups and Beeradvocate. I just don't participate for the reasons we discussed.

Which Firestone Walker brews were you wondering about? Parabola, Sucaba, and the like?

I'm pretty familiar with most facets of beer trading thanks to different Facebook groups and Beeradvocate. I just don't participate for the reasons we discussed.

Which Firestone Walker brews were you wondering about? Parabola, Sucaba, and the like?

Gotcha. And yeah, that kind of stuff- those, the anniversary ales, Stickee Monkee, etc.. I was assuming that you did, just curious. The only beer I've had of theirs in CO was the Wookey Jack (which I really enjoyed).

It seems hit and miss with the FW special releases...or I could just be missing them due to limited availability. I've been seeing 2015 Sucaba pics out there, so I'm going to look for it this evening.

Velvet Merkin hung around for a little while. The anniversary brew was in and out of the store quickly.

Wife and I had our wedding reception there. ;)

Got a hold of the Snake Handler at a steak place called Crazy Horse in Argo. Nice place to eat with a decent craft beer selection. Pricey though.

Impressive. Nice catch!

I really want to try an IPA, but I have no idea what a common "intro" IPA is. I usually drink Pale Ales, Blonde Ales, Amber, or Saisons. Any recommendations?

There's so many IPAs to choose from, it's kind of hard to suggest one. There's also different styles of IPAs...citrusy, piny, resinous, etc.

My best advice would be to find a store that allows you to mix and match a 6 pack, and grab a bunch and decide what you like the best.

But I would probably start with Stone IPA since it's so widely available.

A couple more widely available are Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Sweetwater. Wally World has them.

A couple more widely available are Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Sweetwater. Wally World has them.

I was going to suggest those as well. I just prefer Stone.

Also, I personally wouldn't buy IPAs from Walmart. Seems like they'd be all but guaranteed not to be fresh.

Shop at a liquor store or some other small local business with knowledgeable employees.

Also, I personally wouldn't buy IPAs from Walmart. Seems like they'd be all but guaranteed not to be fresh.

Shop at a liquor store or some other small local business with knowledgeable employees.

This. Freshness is key for IPAs. Stone hammers that point home with their Enjoy By (which I do always enjoy).

WarAJEagle, I would also encourage you to try local stuff, wherever you are. You can find a good local IPA almost anywhere these days. If you're in Alabama, Good People's IPA and Straight to Ale's Monkeynaut are both good. If Terrapin distributes where you are, I like their Hi-5 quite a bit. Agreed about Sweetwater's IPA, also.

Archived