Mike Kolen interviews on campus for Auburn AD job

CShine

Former Auburn and NFL star Mike Kolen was on campus for an interview Monday as Auburn's search for a new athletic director picked up speed.

Kolen, who owns Kolen Financial Team in Birmingham, met with interim president Ed Richardson and Hal Baird, athletics assistant to the president. He confirmed Monday he had been interviewed but declined further comment. Baird, who is spearheading the search, declined to comment.

Kolen is the second candidate to be interviewed in recent weeks. Greg McGarity, the associate athletic director for internal affairs at Florida, interviewed earlier. Dan Radakovich, the senior associate athletic director at LSU, and Jay Jacobs, Auburn's senior associate athletic director for development, are among others expected to be interviewed.

Donald Powell, chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, interviewed on Aug. 17.

Kolen was a standout Auburn linebacker, finishing his career in 1969. His physical style led him to be nicknamed "Captain Crunch." He played eight seasons with the Miami Dolphins and was a mainstay on the "No-name Defense" that led the way to the only perfect season in NFL history in 1972.

McGarity, a 1976 Georgia graduate, has been at Florida since 1992. He oversees the baseball and swimming programs, event operations, facilities, administrative services, sports information, sports health, aviation operations and the strength and conditioning programs. He assists athletic director Jeremy Foley in supervision of the potential candidates.

Radakovich is in his fourth season at LSU. He joined the LSU staff in May 2001 after serving as athletic director at American University in Washington, D.C. He is a former associate athletic director at the University of South Carolina. He is a 1980 graduate of Indiana (Pa.) University, where he was a football letterman.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...90549228241.xml

Mike Kolen is a fine human being. I don't know of his AD abilities, but he's Auburn and he's Great. I'll bet he still remembers the licks I put on him in a pick up game! *grin*

Archived