New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

If Jimbo was offered the Job at AU would he leave fsu to come back to the plains?

Would he bring Craig with him to.possibly run the offense??

1. That's the $3.6 million dollar question 2. He would likely bring his whole FSU staff.

It would be nice.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw where someone brought up Eric Mangini earlier, tho it seemed it was mentioned as an AD.

What about him for head coach? High offensive IQ. Started the Patriots run as OC with Brady. Didn't work as a HC in pros, maybe he would take a college look. From the same coaching tree as Saban as well. Anybody?

zero college coaching experience is a major drawback imo

True...but he is young and has a lot of charisma. Super Bowl experience. You never know...

The more important hire is the next AD. It would seem that Jacobs could be on his way out as well. The rest of the AU athletic teams are underperforming with the exception of the swimming and diving team. He made all of these hires so he has the responsibility.

Petrino is an enigma. He has been a douche no doubt. The question now is has he learned anything from the events of this last summer? I'm not up on all the different coaches who might be candidates to be the next coach should a change be made. I think it has to be someone who has proven he can do something. It may not be a high profile individual. We can't take any more chances with coaches. This next hire will be crucial.

I tried being polite to metafour, but that didn't really work. He might even be right.

But there's a simple fact. Two other coaches got Arkansas to the SECCG; Petrino didn't. Whatever context you want to add up.

Petrino is the most highly qualified coach out there -- and among reasonable candidates the most highly disqualified. But he's not Supercoach, far superior to all others. May I remind folks that Auburn won a national championship in 1957 with an assistant, went 11-1 in 1983 with a guy from Wyoming, went 11-0 in 1993 with a guy from Samford, went 14-0 in 2004 with a guy whose career looks a lot like Dan Mullen's to this point, and went 14-0 with, well, I may be losing my point? May I remind people that Auburn's had only one true coaching failure since 1951?

We'll find an outstanding coach.

I tried being polite to metafour, but that didn't really work. He might even be right.

But there's a simple fact. Two other coaches got Arkansas to the SECCG; Petrino didn't. Whatever context you want to add up.

Petrino is the most highly qualified coach out there -- and among reasonable candidates the most highly disqualified. But he's not Supercoach, far superior to all others. May I remind folks that Auburn won a national championship in 1957 with an assistant, went 11-1 in 1983 with a guy from Wyoming, went 11-0 in 1993 with a guy from Samford, went 14-0 in 2004 with a guy whose career looks a lot like Dan Mullen's to this point, and went 14-0 with, well, I may be losing my point? May I remind people that Auburn's had only one true coaching failure since 1951?

How strong was the sec west when arky went to sec championship game?

Also, to the pro-Chizik crowd or to the " Auburn's next coach should have high morals" crowd: Do you not remember what Chizik did to Auburn after 2004? He left Auburn to take a CO-defensive coordinator job at Texas. I remember hating Chizik for that, like it was a slap in the face to us that he would rather go to Texas and be Co-Coordinator than be here and have full control of the defense. Anyways, I state this to say that every coach in big boy football has flaws. The people who love Chizik or wants a guy with integrity forgave Chizik I assume for what he did to Auburn, right? So, why can't you forgive Petrino, if he were to be hired, if he says that he has learned from his mistakes?

To compare the two reasons as similar is strange, mainly since one guy lied his arse off, slept with his secretary or whatever she was, violated fair hiring laws and lied again to cover all of it up,,,not to mention his sneak away in the night from the falcons......see Arky was desperate and saw Petrino as the best available coach they could hire at the current time and situation just as many AU people are seeing him as the savior for AU football ..how did that work out for them? he is just not the slam dunk some of you are portraying him to be.....and you don't have to spaz out because others disagree ....is he truly worth the risk?

BCS bowl, highest rankings since joining the SEC, influx of donations and upgraded facilities, raised program prestige (as in when mentioning the big 3 in the SECW, you heard Arky, LSU, bama). I would say it worked out okay.

And zero championships ....and what BCS bowl

were they in, not to mention getting fires and embarrassing the entire university.

I know quite a few of you disagree with my position on Petrino, but I would just like to point out that no one disagreed that he is a giant douche. To the point that Auburn has better facilites and therefore Petrino could do more at AU than at Arky, I'm not so sure. I'm not an expert on who has the best facilities, but recruiting seems to be just as much about effort of the coaches than what the school has to offer. There are some schools that likely have inferior facilities to Arkansas that managed to out recruit Petrino while he was there.

There is no denying that Petrino is a good coach, but I just don't think he is the best fit for Auburn. I think we can find a guy who is a great coach but has much less baggage. I know those of you who really want Petrino aren't going to change your mind on the account of my opinion, but if you ask yourself, "Who is the coach that Auburn would be "selling their souls" to get?" Petrino is the answer. I just don't want to be the school that does that. We can do better.

Could not have said it better myself

The more important hire is the next AD. It would seem that Jacobs could be on his way out as well. The rest of the AU athletic teams are underperforming with the exception of the swimming and diving team. He made all of these hires so he has the responsibility.

Petrino is an enigma. He has been a douche no doubt. The question now is has he learned anything from the events of this last summer? I'm not up on all the different coaches who might be candidates to be the next coach should a change be made. I think it has to be someone who has proven he can do something. It may not be a high profile individual. We can't take any more chances with coaches. This next hire will be crucial.

Swim and Dive have been in decline since JJ ran Marsh off.

wde

For a good while, I was in favor of hiring BP. I was willing to overlook his off the field transgressions, so to speak. That said, I have changed my mind and no longer think AU should hire him.

Here's why:

1. I just do not want the fanbase to become even more fractured than it is now. I'm afraid that is what would happen if he was hired.

2. He is a terrible recruiter and pays no attention to defense.

3. He is such a control freak that he even controls the number of words added to the Ark football website each day.

BP is not a football messiah. We can win and win big with someone else. And before anyone feels like taking me to task for deserting the BP ship, I am only stating my opinion. I am not trying to convince anyone else to change their mind.

FWIW, I am in favor of Jimbo and possibly Butch Jones.

Excellent post

Yes, and under this genius logic Adam Morrison is a more accomplished NBA player than Karl Malone. Morrison has 2 championship rings, Malone has 0. Since the goal in basketball is to win the title, I therefore argue that Morrison has accomplished more in his career than Malone.

Do you see how utterly stupid that is?

And for those that need a refresher course on Petrino's 10-win seasons at Arkansas, in the SEC West:

Auburn: 14-0, National Champions

LSU: 11-2, Cotton Bowl Champions in a blowout

Alabama: 10-3, Capital One Bowl Champions in a blowout

Even MSU won 9 games in this season.

Alabama: 12-1, National Champions.

LSU: 13-1, National Championship runner-ups.

....but Houston Nutt led Arkansas to the SECCG in a season in which Alabama, LSU, and Auburn combined for a whopping 14 wins. 14. Combined. :rolleyes:

ok u know what metafour?... u are entitled to ur opinion. I'm not even decided on mine, but that analogy was garbage and u are being a douche to a longtime contributor to our discussions. grow up.

Yes, and under this genius logic Adam Morrison is a more accomplished NBA player than Karl Malone. Morrison has 2 championship rings, Malone has 0. Since the goal in basketball is to win the title, I therefore argue that Morrison has accomplished more in his career than Malone.

Do you see how utterly stupid that is?

When you say stupid, is that in reference to your own analogy?

There is a certain element that would rather have a nice guy coach than an intense, elite coach that might spend his Sundays reviewing film. This element has held AU back for a long time (2003 anyway) and if AU hiring a CBP drives them away then we will be better off for it. College sports are a major undertaking and the days of the good ole boy network leading the University need to be over. AU needs to hire a professional AD and an elite coach with total control of his program if they want to stay part of the Big 6. I flat out don't care if the next coach is an atheist with a green wife as long as he can do his job (win titles).

People throwing fits, holding their breath and screaming no, no, no if they don't get their way? Sorry but that reminds me of the attitude of the meddling BOT and the good ole boy network that is holding AU back.

When you say stupid, is that in reference to your own analogy?

Yes, the analogy I gave is absolutely retarded. Kind of like suggesting that Petrino's time at Arkansas wasn't all that impressive because he happened to manage to win 10-games twice yet didn't make the SECCG in an era in which the SECW is pumping out National Champions, multiple 10+ game winners, and teams that are among the top 5 in the country. Petrino raised that Arkansas program to heights they had never reached before, go ask any of their fans. Dont give me some bulls*it about Nutt getting them to a conference title game back when the SECW was a complete s***-hole. Or getting them into the SECCG in a season in which they didn't even win out but backed into it because Alabama, the superior team, was on probation.

I'm giving facts. If someone wants to dispute me then step up.

How many BCS bowls has Louisville been to since Petrino left?

How many BCS bowls had Arkansas been to before Petrino got there?

For a good while, I was in favor of hiring BP. I was willing to overlook his off the field transgressions, so to speak. That said, I have changed my mind and no longer think AU should hire him.

Here's why:

1. I just do not want the fanbase to become even more fractured than it is now. I'm afraid that is what would happen if he was hired.

3. He is such a control freak that he even controls the number of words added to the Ark football website each day.

BP is not a football messiah. We can win and win big with someone else. And before anyone feels like taking me to task for deserting the BP ship, I am only stating my opinion. I am not trying to convince anyone else to change their mind.

He is an offensive guy. He is not supposed to pay attention to D. Just hire the best DC available and get out of the way. If Chizik had done that with offense the last 2 years we would not be in the situation we are in now...It's hard to say h is a terrible recruiter. Arky does not have the resources or finances to recruit on the level Auburn does. Even still he is 23-3 combined in his 4th seasons at Louisville and Arky. That means he is recruiting well and developing players for his system.

He is an offensive guy. He is not supposed to pay attention to D. Just hire the best DC available and get out of the way.

Wrong....so very, very, very, wrong....

He is an offensive guy. He is not supposed to pay attention to D. Just hire the best DC available and get out of the way.

Provide evidence please...and I have been agreeing with you so do not disrespect me by treating me like a douche like you have everyone else. I don;t deserve it...and for that matter neither do they.

Provide evidence please...and I have been agreeing with you so do not disrespect me by treating me like a douche like you have everyone else. I don;t deserve it...and for that matter neither do they.

+1

Here's why:

He is an offensive guy. He is not supposed to pay attention to D. Just hire the best DC available and get out of the way. If Chizik had done that with offense the last 2 years we would not be in the situation we are in now...It's hard to say h is a terrible recruiter. Arky does not have the resources or finances to recruit on the level Auburn does. Even still he is 23-3 combined in his 4th seasons at Louisville and Arky. That means he is recruiting well and developing players for his system.

E, he is the Head Coach. He is supposed to pay attention to everything related to football. He pays zero attention to defense. No coach worth his salt is not involved in all phases of the game. There is a big difference between the meddling of an incompetent and the overseeing by one who is competent.

I guarantee you that the top tier coaches do not just "get out of the way." You know better than that.

BTW, did you know that at one point BP had 17 receivers on scholarship? Seems a bit high, doesn't it?

Look, I do think BP is a good coach, but he is far from flawed. To try to imply otherwise is a stretch.

Here's why:

E, he is the Head Coach. He is supposed to pay attention to everything related to football. He pays zero attention to defense. No coach worth his salt is not involved in all phases of the game. There is a big difference between the meddling of an incompetent and the overseeing by one who is competent.

I guarantee you that the top tier coaches do not just "get out of the way." You know better than that.

BTW, did you know that at one point BP had 17 receivers on scholarship? Seems a bit high, doesn't it?

Look, I do think BP is a good coach, but he is far from flawed. To try to imply otherwise is a stretch.

I did not literally mean pay no attention. My point is trust your coordinator on the side of the ball you are not experienced in and don't handcuff them like Chiz has done the last 2 years.

BP has a FAR surperior resume than any other potential candidate. Those are just the FACTS. Comparing BP's success at ARK to Nutt's is ABSOLUTELY specious and asinine. The SEC (West) is EXPONENTIALLY stronger under BP than it was under Nutt. And its NOT EVEN CLOSE! LSU and Bama were not the NFL factories that they are now. The SEC did not OWN the BSCNC game during Nutts tenure. Hell ASK Arkansas fans who is the better coach and who would they rather have back...

Archived