New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

For a good while, I was in favor of hiring BP. I was willing to overlook his off the field transgressions, so to speak. That said, I have changed my mind and no longer think AU should hire him.

Here's why:

1. I just do not want the fanbase to become even more fractured than it is now. I'm afraid that is what would happen if he was hired.

2. He is a terrible recruiter and pays no attention to defense.

3. He is such a control freak that he even controls the number of words added to the Ark football website each day.

BP is not a football messiah. We can win and win big with someone else. And before anyone feels like taking me to task for deserting the BP ship, I am only stating my opinion. I am not trying to convince anyone else to change their mind.

FWIW, I am in favor of Jimbo and possibly Butch Jones.

He is an offensive guy. He is not supposed to pay attention to D. Just hire the best DC available and get out of the way. If Chizik had done that with offense the last 2 years we would not be in the situation we are in now...It's hard to say h is a terrible recruiter. Arky does not have the resources or finances to recruit on the level Auburn does. Even still he is 23-3 combined in his 4th seasons at Louisville and Arky. That means he is recruiting well and developing players for his system.

E, he is the Head Coach. He is supposed to pay attention to everything related to football. He pays zero attention to defense. No coach worth his salt is not involved in all phases of the game. There is a big difference between the meddling of an incompetent and the overseeing by one who is competent.

I guarantee you that the top tier coaches do not just "get out of the way." You know better than that.

BTW, did you know that at one point BP had 17 receivers on scholarship? Seems a bit high, doesn't it?

Look, I do think BP is a good coach, but he is far from flawed. To try to imply otherwise is a stretch.

and don't handcuff them like Chiz has done the last 2 years.

Now, that's the truth!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Provide evidence? Name one elite-level head coach that isn't the dictator of absolutely every aspect of the football. Do you wonder why almost every single elite coach is an egotistical control freak? The only way you can build consistently elite performing teams is if you establish yourself as the man that is the boss. The boss is the guy that everyone answers to. How can you possibly build that level of management if you are essentially proposing split-leadership? That is literally the worst thing you could possibly do. You will never achieve full control of the team, or the staff, under that premise.

Remember when Nick Saban lit into AJ McCarron and everyone threw a fit? You think Saban just worries about the defense and eats popcorn while the offense has the ball? How about Bill Belichick? Jim Harbaugh?

Most of you really struggle to understand how football works in real-life. The head coach sets the expectation on every side of the ball. An offensive-minded HC has to set defense as a priority if they are to be successful on that side of the ball. I see numerous people proposing hiring some spread offense guru as head coach and then keeping VanGorder or adding another elite DC and calling it a day. Football doesn't work in some 1+1 = 2 fashion. If this was feasible you would have already seen it work by now...instead you see "spread gurus" at HC left and right who cant play defense to save their life. Why dont they just hire some big-name DC and let him do his thing? IT DOESN'T WORK. Rich Rodriguez at Michigan had all the resources he needed to "let the best DC he could find do what he wants" and Michigan's defense was terrible under him. Just like Texas Tech's defense was terrible under Leach. Just like Art Briles' defenses at Baylor have been terrible. Sonny Dykes takes over at LA Tech and their defense drops about 50 spots in every category possible. These guys aren't idiots, you think if it was possible for them to just pretend like this is a video game and they could "only worry about offense", they wouldn't do it?

He pays zero attention to defense.

This isn't true. Petrino's defenses at Arkansas improved over his tenure. The crap about him supposedly not being able to field a defense worth s*** is severely exaggerated. They were 33rd in scoring defense last season and 47th in total defense. They were 47th in scoring defense and 36th in total defense the year before that. That is with 3-star talent at Arkansas. How does our defense under Chizik, a supposed defensive mastermind, compare? No one is going to confuse Petrino with a defensive genius, but to talk like he pays no attention to that side of the ball is delusional. In 2006 Louisville was 17th in scoring defense under Petrino. He understands that it takes defense to win football games.

This Cincinnati-Louisville game is interesting. Whoever wins this will be one of my top candidates - either Jones or Strong.

If you consider it as Strong vs Jones then you have to give credit to Jones offense for putting 31 points on Strong's defense on the road in regulation. I know Louisville won but I am really underwhelmed by Strong.

This isn't true. Petrino's defenses at Arkansas improved over his tenure. The crap about him supposedly not being able to field a defense worth s*** is severely exaggerated. They were 33rd in scoring defense last season and 47th in total defense. They were 47th in scoring defense and 36th in total defense the year before that. That is with 3-star talent at Arkansas. How does our defense under Chizik, a supposed defensive mastermind, compare? No one is going to confuse Petrino with a defensive genius, but to talk like he pays no attention to that side of the ball is delusional. In 2006 Louisville was 17th in scoring defense under Petrino. He understands that it takes defense to win football games.

Not delusional at all. I suggest you listen to or read what Andy Hodges, an Ark media guy says about that and you may change your mind.

As I said in my original post, I am not trying to convince anyone on the merits of BP's ability. I would encourage everyone to do their own research to form their own opinion and to avoid ad hominem attacks if someone happens to disagree with what you may think.

This Cincinnati-Louisville game is interesting. Whoever wins this will be one of my top candidates - either Jones or Strong.

If you consider it as Strong vs Jones then you have to give credit to Jones offense for putting 31 points on Strong's defense on the road in regulation. I know Louisville won but I am really underwhelmed by Strong.

I completely agree. I actually think Butch Jones would be a really good hire. Dude knows his offense.

I think there is a misconception that the guys who are not in the petrino corner want some soft coach that is part of a good ole boy network. FALSE. I think everyone wants a hard nosed coach that will run a solid, disciplined program, but I just find it hard to believe that petrino is the only guy in the entire country that fits the bill.

I think Petrino deserves another chance at some point, but not at Auburn so soon after "the incident." Making him the new face of Auburn football would be a huge mistake and a PR nightmare IMHO. We can find a guy who will run a hard nosed program AND represent the university with class.

I think there is a misconception that the guys who are not in the petrino corner want some soft coach that is part of a good ole boy network. FALSE. I think everyone wants a hard nosed coach that will run a solid, disciplined program, but I just find it hard to believe that petrino is the only guy in the entire country that fits the bill.

I think Petrino deserves another chance at some point, but not at Auburn so soon after "the incident." Making him the new face of Auburn football would be a huge mistake and a PR nightmare IMHO. We can find a guy who will run a hard nosed program AND represent the university with class.

:clap: Well said

Not delusional at all. I suggest you listen to or read what Andy Hodges, an Ark media guy says about that and you may change your mind.

So he pays "zero attention to defense" yet fields teams that rank 17th, 24th, 33rd nationally in scoring defense? Two NFL franchises were willing (one did) to hire a guy who pays "zero attention to defense" as their HC?

I've read Andy Hodges opinions on Petrino. The guy argues that he won a lot of games because he was overly lucky. He accurately states that Arkansas had "8 win talent"...yet instead of saying "gee, Petrino is a really good coach which allowed them to play above their talent level", he seriously argues that they won games because of "luck". According to Hodges, Arkansas only beat LSU in 2010 because Auburn had just crushed LSU's title chances by beating Alabama. They only beat South Carolina because of "fortunate scheduling"...apparently the Arkansas game meant nothing to South Carolina, according to Hodges. I'm assuming that Hodges also believes that Petrino was overly lucky in Louisville too?

Seems like an extremely unbiased source.

ok u know what metafour?... u are entitled to ur opinion. I'm not even decided on mine, but that analogy was garbage and u are being a douche to a longtime contributor to our discussions. grow up.

Thanks. I was trying to figure out how to say that.

There is a certain element that would rather have a nice guy coach than an intense, elite coach that might spend his Sundays reviewing film. This element has held AU back for a long time (2003 anyway) and if AU hiring a CBP drives them away then we will be better off for it. College sports are a major undertaking and the days of the good ole boy network leading the University need to be over. AU needs to hire a professional AD and an elite coach with total control of his program if they want to stay part of the Big 6. I flat out don't care if the next coach is an atheist with a green wife as long as he can do his job (win titles).

People throwing fits, holding their breath and screaming no, no, no if they don't get their way? Sorry but that reminds me of the attitude of the meddling BOT and the good ole boy network that is holding AU back.

I agree with but... Chizik is known as a hard worker. Coach stoops at Oklahoma for example is not. There is something more that needs to happen than just the hard work.

I would like to the green wife. Maybe if she's light green shed be hot

Really dude..really..stats from the big east? Petrino does not address defense the way top tier SEC Coaches do...if he was obsessed with defense as much as he was with offense, he may be unstoppable ...but unfortunately he is not

So he pays "zero attention to defense" yet fields teams that rank 17th, 24th, 33rd nationally in scoring defense? Two NFL franchises were willing (one did) to hire a guy who pays "zero attention to defense" as their HC?

I've read Andy Hodges opinions on Petrino. The guy argues that he won a lot of games because he was overly lucky. He accurately states that Arkansas had "8 win talent"...yet instead of saying "gee, Petrino is a really good coach which allowed them to play above their talent level", he seriously argues that they won games because of "luck". According to Hodges, Arkansas only beat LSU in 2010 because Auburn had just crushed LSU's title chances by beating Alabama. They only beat South Carolina because of "fortunate scheduling"...apparently the Arkansas game meant nothing to South Carolina, according to Hodges. I'm assuming that Hodges also believes that Petrino was overly lucky in Louisville too?

Seems like an extremely unbiased source.

I'm gonna jump on this with ya +1

The media is going to run Auburn into the dirt no matter what. Winning will cure those issues though just like it did for Saban. There is zero doubt that CBP will win a lot of games at Auburn.

If there are better coaches than CBP available I don't know who they are. Don't get me wrong I would love for Garry Patterson, Jim Harbaugh or Chip Kelly to take the job. But I think the chances are pretty slim, I would be very disappointed if they hire another unproven CGC type like Butch Jones, Charlie Strong, Sonny Dykes, etc when CBP is available. I questioned AU's desire to win when they hired Coach Chizik. They make another lame hire and I would say that confirms to me that AU leadership wants to stay just good enough to make money but they are not truly committed to making AU a consistent top 10 program.

The media is going to run Auburn into the dirt no matter what. Winning will cure those issues though just like it did for Saban. There is zero doubt that CBP will win a lot of games at Auburn.

If there are better coaches than CBP available I don't know who they are. Don't get me wrong I would love for Garry Patterson, Jim Harbaugh or Chip Kelly to take the job. But I think the chances are pretty slim, I would be very disappointed if they hire another unproven CGC type like Butch Jones, Charlie Strong, Sonny Dykes, etc when CBP is available. I questioned AU's desire to win when they hired Coach Chizik. They make another lame hire and I would say that confirms to me that AU leadership wants to stay just good enough to make money but they are not truly committed to making AU a consistent top 10 program.

Very true the media will bash Auburn regardless of who we hire.

If AU hires Petrino it will be how could Auburn stoop to hiring. Guy with no moral compass. On the flip side, he if AU makes another Chizik hire, it will be how could they hire this guy when Petrino was available? Embed if we do, damned if we don't.

If AU hires Petrino it will be how could Auburn stoop to hiring. Guy with no moral compass. On the flip side, he if AU makes another Chizik hire, it will be how could they hire this guy when Petrino was available? Embed if we do, damned if we don't.

Personally, I'd rather hear..."How in the world could they hire this guy when Petrino was avaibable" buts that just me!

Poet - Arky's BCS bowl was the 2010 Sugar Bowl.

I think everyone wants the best available, hard-nosed, no nonsense coach. The problem, whether many Auburn fans are willing to acknowledge it or not, lies in the school across the state. There are not too many coaches willing to come to Auburn and stake their career on beating Nick Saban at Alabama. That is the truth and that will greatly reduce the number of eligible and acceptable candidates. Add in the turmoil within the AD and our past history of meddling by BOT/other PTBs and I think it will be difficult to make the homerun hire many people are hoping for from Auburn.

So, in the end, I believe that Petrino represents the best candidate available of those that would be willing to come to Auburn. He also would come at a reasonable price imo. The PR will be negative no matter the hire (think about tuberville and the pine box or chizik/turner gill). There is no avoiding this and we should not consider it when hiring.

Poet - Arky's BCS bowl was the 2010 Sugar Bowl.

I think everyone wants the best available, hard-nosed, no nonsense coach. The problem, whether many Auburn fans are willing to acknowledge it or not, lies in the school across the state. There are not too many coaches willing to come to Auburn and stake their career on beating Nick Saban at Alabama. That is the truth and that will greatly reduce the number of eligible and acceptable candidates. Add in the turmoil within the AD and our past history of meddling by BOT/other PTBs and I think it will be difficult to make the homerun hire many people are hoping for from Auburn.

So, in the end, I believe that Petrino represents the best candidate available of those that would be willing to come to Auburn. He also would come at a reasonable price imo. The PR will be negative no matter the hire (think about tuberville and the pine box or chizik/turner gill). There is no avoiding this and we should not consider it when hiring.

You're wrong. Auburn is a great coaching job....there are coaches literally from coast to coast who would jump at the chance to be paid $millions to compete in the SEC. There may not be any household names available who would leave their current job but that does not mean ther aren't many coaches who would come to Auburn. Im sorry but it is simply absurd to even try to sell that idea.

I really WANT TUBS back, but Jones or Strong are my top two out of the list. I know Petrino is a good coach, but not sure he can overcome his moral failures in the recruiting wars.

We know coach Tubs can coach players up. If Tommy Tuberville would retain some of our top recruiters, can you imagine how good we could be?

If I had a list it would be,

1. Jimbo Fisher

2. Bobby Petrino

3. Charlie Strong

4. Kirby Smart

5. Gus Malzahn

Archived