Unbelievable post from Bryan Matthews

JamesG

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn is #75 in total defense. That's bad, but considering how bad the offense has been it's not catastrophic. And I do think the DBs are getting better.

I agree that is not good but you said it about the offense. If we had just an average offense we would be in the top 50 which is not great but from where we were, it is much better. Pelton is awful...just A W F U L. Our d line is whipped on nearly every play. The ends NEVER stay at home. To be honest, they were whipped last year as well.

Everybody but BVG has to go.

I'm not so sure he should stay. I live in Atlanta, and I keep hearing "The best thing to happen to the Falcons is Auburn hiring Van Gorder". At first, I thought they were just mad that he left. Then I realized they are undefeated, and now I think they may know what they are talking about.

FWIW, I have lived in Georgia for 14 years, and haven't been much of a Falcons fan, so I don't know how their defenses were with Van Gorder.

they were pretty good defences, except against the saints. the saints that run the nfl version of a spread offence.

What I'm surprised about is the lack of information not coming from the Auburn "underground" regarding what is happening behind the scenes. Is our AD in hiding? Where are all the rumors regarding what may or may not happen with this program going forward. Are we just to keep losing and continue to go about our week as if our football program is in great hands and thriving? I buy annual tickets and pay annual alumni dues. I guess I will stop doing both. What's the point? It's not much but It doesn't make sense to continue pissing my hard earned money away. I've only been doing it for 31 years. I guess that's the definition of stupidity.

Stop paying Alumni Association dues? GROW UP!

Let's see...treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor. I believe I was being facetious.

That was the guy that got away with a big clip on Mckinzy in the Vandy 2nd half scoring drive that set up the TD.

Non-the-less a very telling stat. Not the first nobody linemen we've honored this award too either (Flowers). Don't see this is a strength and conditioning issue. I think we may have made the game a little too metaphysical.

I do think we are soft physically in strength and conditioning. The telling signs are, of course, getting pushed around on both sides of the ball and then the 4th quarter collapses. I think it is time for Yox to move on along with several other staff members.

Pelton and Grimes....their results have been very poor and should be scrutinized at season's end. Martinez is doing a bang up job coaching up the Secondary. Other than that, let the Assistants bring in who they want to and replace the ones they want to. That is, if we keep our assistants (which I think we should...yes, even Loeffler).

Like Saban does at Bama? Oh no, he NEVER let's anyone bring in "their" coaches. And they succeed. Because he is the danged boss and his methods work. So do the methods of ALL successful coaches. I notice Ted Roof is a hero at Penn State,the butt of jokes by AU fans before now. The methods of this head coach may be why our OC and DC from last year are having success at different schools this year,and were not good under Chiz. Do I KNOW this? No. But I know somebody is the boss,and he's chewing gum on the sidelines. No matter how fast the Titanic is sinking.

Pelton was basically getting unemployment when Chizik cashed in some BCS chips and hired him when when the only real (at the time) D coach we had on the staff left. Pelton should still be unemployed because he has been stealing money from AU for almost 2 years.

wde

Johnny Football is gonna win the heisman against us this weekend, that's what he is gonna do! If they let him play 3 quarters, he'll have 500+ in the air, and another 150+ on the ground.

Hey man, this is the SEC...that stuff don't work in this conference...check the blogs....everyone knows ya gotta have pro-style to win in the SEC.

Yeah,like we ran the first two years with Gus,and like UA ran the first half of the 2010 game against us. That pro style.

I think that a lot of the kids don't believe in our coaches and have given up on this season, which has led to the not trying as hard as the normally would. I would not surprise me if that were the case especially when Lutz mentioned something similar to this a couple of weeks ago. From the time most of these kids were recruited the talent was off the charts, there is no way each of the 4 star DTs we have can be this pitiful or this weak. There is a mutiny among this team and it is not just among the players. IMHO

I think that a lot of the kids don't believe in our coaches and have given up on this season, which has led to the not trying as hard as the normally would. I would not surprise me if that were the case especially when Lutz mentioned something similar to this a couple of weeks ago. From the time most of these kids were recruited the talent was off the charts, there is no way each of the 4 star DTs we have can be this pitiful or this weak. There is a mutiny among this team and it is not just among the players. IMHO

What gets me is why anyone would think that coaches like Grimes,Taylor,and Luper would be upset coaching under an offensive minded juggernaut like Scott Loeffler. I mean,according to a lot of guys on this board,they all suck and nobody wants them to coach at any other team. I'll bet ANYBODY on this board they have great jobs within two years of leaving AU. And if I listened and watched the play calling genius that is our OC every week,I'd be pissed too. AS a matter of fact,in case you couldn't tell,I am.

The only reason I said two years is because I have the same confidence in JJ that I have in Scott. NONE. He will hang them all out to dry and drag this crap out too long for them to get a decent job.

The D Line has been the most disappointing unit to me as well. I kept hearing about how the line was going to attack under BVG rather than having to worry so much about gap responsibility. That was going to speed them up and let 'em play havoc in the backfield. Not so far and what's frustrating is that I really believe we have as much talent here as the rest of the conference. Blackson, Whitaker, Wright, Lemonier, Ford, Equae all have the potential to play on Sunday IMO but it sure as hell doesn't look that way. Am I wrong? Are we just not that talented?

All I know is that Roof's defense at PSU is ranked 22 in total Defense. I don't think our coordinators are to blame.

I guess we know why roof was only so-so here at AU. .... CGC!!!

Because we had CTT, who's defense is one the top in the country.

Our D-line has been nothing short of horrible. Do we have bad players on the DL? I think not...we have 4&5 star players on the DL that are not being coached up to their potential. Coach Rocker did a fine job when he was our DL coach. This position has been the biggest drop off on the team IMHO. I think Coach Pelton was Coach Chizik's DL when Coach Chizik was the HC at Iowa State. We all know what happened at ISU, and is now happening right under our nose.

Been preaching in the wilderness all year only to be oustersized and stoned. Glad the rest of the world has awakened. The day Trock packed up his bags was the day this Dline collapsed. IM sure he loves him some NFL but I really DOUBT he left Auburn because it was his "dream" to coach in the NFL. I hope the real story slips out soon. Pelton was the expedient, cheap, easy you name it hire. Chizik took the lazy out and this and the OC hire WILL cost him his J O B

The D Line has been the most disappointing unit to me as well. I kept hearing about how the line was going to attack under BVG rather than having to worry so much about gap responsibility. That was going to speed them up and let 'em play havoc in the backfield. Not so far and what's frustrating is that I really believe we have as much talent here as the rest of the conference. Blackson, Whitaker, Wright, Lemonier, Ford, Equae all have the potential to play on Sunday IMO but it sure as hell doesn't look that way. Am I wrong? Are we just not that talented?

I am disapointed with D-line production as well. The coaches and players are too. I am not on the field so I am not going to make any excuses or point blame blindly. I can only remind people that hardly anyone in the SEC knew who Nick Fairley was before he was legally old enough to drink.

Listen to this young man talk and how he handles himself. He might be right and he might be wrong but don't put false words in any players mouth. Let them speak for themselves.

http://www2.oanow.com/sports/2012/oct/16/1/auburn-d-tackle-gabe-wright-october-16-18322-vi-147854/

When our DC's first comment in postgame about the play of our freshman MLB's first start and 12 tackles, it was something like "he made a lot of mistakes." O.K. Kid made 12 freaking tackles, tied for the lead. I say, he did great! Sure, he made some freshman mistakes but played physical and did a good job. It's like CBVG was addressing the obvious question that we as fans have, why hasn't he been playing more. Would you rather see our MLB being drug 8 yds down field or pancaked by the OG?

I don't know if Pelton needs to go or not. I only know that our results suck. And I know this for certain.

Made me even more angry when BVG made that comment in the post game. IMO, McKinzy was doing a dang good job, the dude had 12 tackles and was giving 100% - I was so excited to see him start over Holland, and honestly I wish it would have happend sooner than the 7th game of the year. I think Nova deserved some praise from his coach, oh well.

Not trying to flame, but maybe BVG knows something you don't. I think he had a good game as well, but I am sure there is a reason for his comments. It could be to keep him humble and working hard or it could be that he really messed up a bunch and would have had more tackles.

Not trying to flame, but Nova did better than his predecessor at MLB, acknowledgement from his coach in a public forum isn't too much to ask, IMO.

You are right, it's not too much to ask. I'm only saying maybe just maybe BVG knows Nova better than most of us. He sees him everyday and he may know that Nova did not play to his potential. I like getting props and it pains me when I get scolded. I can honestly tell you that I have never learned or got better thru praise. Yes I like it and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy but praise has never made me better at anything. I have learned alot from my mistakes and working hard to correct them has made me better.

Is it too much to ask for you to start defending players when people on this board drag them thru the mud? The coaches are grown and get paid so have it with them and voice your opinion.

We all want to win

WAR EAGLE

I'm not so sure he should stay. I live in Atlanta, and I keep hearing "The best thing to happen to the Falcons is Auburn hiring Van Gorder". At first, I thought they were just mad that he left. Then I realized they are undefeated, and now I think they may know what they are talking about.

FWIW, I have lived in Georgia for 14 years, and haven't been much of a Falcons fan, so I don't know how their defenses were with Van Gorder.

I am a lifelong Falcons fan. Trust me when I tell you he wasn't well liked in Atl. Myself included. However, I think he is in fact a much better college DC than pro. I can't say that I've been too upset with what our defense has done this year, especially when compared to recent history.

All I know is that Roof's defense at PSU is ranked 22 in total Defense. I don't think our coordinators are to blame.

I was floored when I read this. In three years at Auburn he has statistically the two worst D's in our history, then moves on to PSU and in year one they are ranked 22? That speaks volumes to me.

I am a lifelong Falcons fan. Trust me when I tell you he wasn't well liked in Atl. Myself included. However, I think he is in fact a much better college DC than pro. I can't say that I've been too upset with what our defense has done this year, especially when compared to recent history.

I listen to Mayhem in the A.M. quite often. They don't care for BVG much. One morning they were talking about how he would constantly complain about a guy lining up half a yard wrong, in the same constant yelling voice, and the Falcon players tuned him out. I do think he is a very solid college DC. I thought he was a pretty good pro DC. We just have holes, in talent, on the D side of the ball. I hate to keep bringing this up also, but we are not a physically strong team in any area also IMO.

I read the article on al.com about Roof and Malzahn and how both were doing well. That tells me Chizik is the uncommon denominator because both are doing much better in different jobs. It appears Chizik is just too stubborn to change, regardless if it is for the better.

I read the article on al.com about Roof and Malzahn and how both were doing well. That tells me Chizik is the uncommon denominator because both are doing much better in different jobs. It appears Chizik is just too stubborn to change, regardless if it is for the better.

Chizik will not quit putting his hand in the cookie jar. Look at some clips from the Temple offense last year. Loeffler can coach. Period. Chizik won't leave him alone to let him coach the way he wants. I honestly think if Chiz stayed out of the offense, we would be looking at a different kind of year. Same goes with defense. Stay the heck out of it and let the coaches that we are paying good money to do their dang job.

Malzahn is a perfect example of this and obviously Roof is too.

JMO

Chizik will not quit putting his hand in the cookie jar. Look at some clips from the Temple offense last year. Loeffler can coach. Period. Chizik won't leave him alone to let him coach the way he wants. I honestly think if Chiz stayed out of the offense, we would be looking at a different kind of year. Same goes with defense. Stay the heck out of it and let the coaches that we are paying good money to do their dang job.

JMO

I've been saying this is Chiz's defense from day 1.People have scoffed, jeered and condescendingly stated...."You dont know much about football do you?" I haven't felt that way about the offense until this year

JMO

I've been saying this is Chiz's defense from day 1.People have scoffed, jeered and condescendingly stated...."You dont know much about football do you?" I haven't felt that way about the offense until this year

I agree. I have a hard time believing that an OC this talented and productive can come to a place like Auburn with as much talent as we have and be this bad. The guy had nothing to work with at Temple and had 42 touchdowns....we have what.....4 or 5? I don't buy it. Let the man coach. Let the man call his plays. LET THE MAN DO HIS FREAKIN JOB. Chizik needs to stay out of it.

Same goes with BVG. I think Chiz knew who he wanted on the field and wouldn't take no for an answer. Cass being a case of that. Let BVG do his job and I think it is a different scenario.

I'm just now starting to see why I don't fit in on this message board.

Roof having a great year? Have you seen the depth of upperclassmen he has? Have you seen their schedule? Have you seen the entire Big 10?

Altlanta people hating BVG. GOOD FOR THEM!!! He only had the #12 (334ypg) defense in the NFL during the regular season for 2011. For 2012 they have the #22 defense (367 ypg). Looks like all those sports radio announcers know what they are talking about.

Archived