Unbelievable post from Bryan Matthews

JamesG

Dont know if any of you saw this on AUC: pretty amazing

Bryan Matthews12292 posts

I've never seen a position group underperform so poorly as Auburn's defensive line has this year. I guess it's par for the course with this team...

Vanderbilt center Joe Townsend, in his 2ND CAREER START, was named SEC Lineman of the Week. He had 10 knockdown blocks and graded out 88 percent in performance and 97 percent in effort.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can honestly say, " I am not surprised".

What I'm surprised about is the lack of information not coming from the Auburn "underground" regarding what is happening behind the scenes. Is our AD in hiding? Where are all the rumors regarding what may or may not happen with this program going forward. Are we just to keep losing and continue to go about our week as if our football program is in great hands and thriving? I buy annual tickets and pay annual alumni dues. I guess I will stop doing both. What's the point? It's not much but It doesn't make sense to continue pissing my hard earned money away. I've only been doing it for 31 years. I guess that's the definition of stupidity.

What I'm surprised about is the lack of information not coming from the Auburn "underground" regarding what is happening behind the scenes.

Calm before the storm IMO

ANNNNDDDD this is what you get with the people we have calling the shots. We lose Tracy Rocker to the NFL, and what do we do????? Do we go out and get a PROVEN, DOMINATING defensive line coach? Naaaahhh, we go find an ex-player (loved him when he was playing, don't get me wrong), and give him a salary that is completely out of line with his experience and resume, and that's that. Thank you, Jay Jacobs and Gene Chizik. I'm so glad you didn't spend valuable "DWWD" time looking for the best option out there. Just get the guy that used to play at Auburn, the one that will do what we tell him with no questioning, and sign him up. Oh yeah, give him a huge salary with a buyout, lest someone swoop in a steal him out from under us!

Pelton and Grimes....their results have been very poor and should be scrutinized at season's end. Martinez is doing a bang up job coaching up the Secondary. Other than that, let the Assistants bring in who they want to and replace the ones they want to. That is, if we keep our assistants (which I think we should...yes, even Loeffler).

Everybody but BVG has to go.

I'm not so sure he should stay. I live in Atlanta, and I keep hearing "The best thing to happen to the Falcons is Auburn hiring Van Gorder". At first, I thought they were just mad that he left. Then I realized they are undefeated, and now I think they may know what they are talking about.

FWIW, I have lived in Georgia for 14 years, and haven't been much of a Falcons fan, so I don't know how their defenses were with Van Gorder.

Pelton and Grimes....their results have been very poor and should be scrutinized at season's end. Martinez is doing a bang up job coaching up the Secondary. Other than that, let the Assistants bring in who they want to and replace the ones they want to. That is, if we keep our assistants (which I think we should...yes, even Loeffler).

Usually can't have it both ways. You want a winner of a coach, you better turn the entire program over to him. This includes letting him hire who he wants. If Van Gorder, Martinez, Boulware, etc. interview, and the new HC hires them, great. If not, forcing him to keep assistants only causes problems down the road.

No head coach worth a damn is going to take ANY leftovers from the staff goes winless in SEC play, ranks at to near the bottom of the conference in every offensive & defensive catagory, and ranks in the bottom 25% nationally.

Hell, the only coaches on this team that may get picked up by another program are BVG/Martinez/Boulware. BVG may need to go back to the NFL, he's having a hard time transitioning to the college game, IMO.

I'm not so sure he should stay. I live in Atlanta, and I keep hearing "The best thing to happen to the Falcons is Auburn hiring Van Gorder". At first, I thought they were just mad that he left. Then I realized they are undefeated, and now I think they may know what they are talking about.

FWIW, I have lived in Georgia for 14 years, and haven't been much of a Falcons fan, so I don't know how their defenses were with Van Gorder.

The Falcons brought in a new OC that is running a much more dynamic offense. I think that is the primary reason for the Falcons improved record. Although, the Falcons were doing pretty good with BVG on board. IMO, the Falcons have improved b/c of the improved offense, FA hire of Asante Samuel at CB, and the experience of players drafted in the prior few years on D (like Witherspoon and Moore - they just had to grow up from rookies).

2008 - 11-5

2009 - 9-7

2010 - 13-3

2011 - 10-6

If GC gets the boot, then so will Pelton and the rest of that staff. A new HC will want to bring in his own staff. He might keep 1 or 2 from the old staff. Maybe.

I am really having a hard time understanding why people keep saying our defense is getting better. Maybe I am watching the wrong games. Didn't we just get BEAT by Vandy ??? The team I watch, can't tackle, can't force turnovers, DBs play 10 to 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and continuously give up 8 to 10 yard passes, LBs constantly out of position, and NO push from the D line. Now our DEs don't seem to be getting off the ball as quick, maybe it's because of the double teams. We have ONE (1) interception this YEAR. Where is the BETTER ????????????????

How come everyone can see what's going on but Jacobs and Jackson either doesn't see it or acts as though everything is going as planned. I guess that is what makes those guys such clueless clowns.

I am really having a hard time understanding why people keep saying our defense is getting better. Maybe I am watching the wrong games. Didn't we just get BEAT by Vandy ??? The team I watch, can't tackle, can't force turnovers, DBs play 10 to 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and continuously give up 8 to 10 yard passes, LBs constantly out of position, and NO push from the D line. Now our DEs don't seem to be getting off the ball as quick, maybe it's because of the double teams. We have ONE (1) interception this YEAR. Where is the BETTER ????????????????

Teams don't have to take risks offensively against us when we field such a pitiful offense. They don't have to throw into coverage or make anything happen when they are playing with a big lead.

FWIW, we did create turnovers against Vandy. We held them to 17 points. That should be more than enough to win the game. The D isn't dominant and the DL has struggled, but the lack of scoring is demoralizing for the D imo.

Sorry, one other thing: A kid who just started his second game for Vandy at Center, just received SEC (lineman) player of the week. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME !!!!!!!!!!!

Teams don't have to take risks offensively against us when we field such a pitiful offense. They don't have to throw into coverage or make anything happen when they are playing with a big lead.

Dude, they don't have to take any risks, because we can not stop them.

Okay probably get flamed for this one, but I'm not sure that Van Gorder is getting to run the defense the way he wants to run it. I've heard he's having some issues with people he wants to put in the game but Chizik doesn't let it happen. I can't understand why Cassanova just started playing. The kid looked amazing. He should have been playing all year. Pelton can coach defensive ends and that's it. He's a terrible defensive tackle coach regardless of the fact he played DT at Auburn. Bryan Matthews is spot on with everything he said. I wouldn't call it an unbelievable post so much as an obvious one.

Archived