General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

I think some proven offensive minds would be people to seriously consider. Some thoughts:

Gus Malzahn - knows how to coach, keep the ball and score a lot of points. Wasn't is fun when Gus was our OC.

Kevin Sumlin - He has done a terriifc job at TA&M. He has caught lightning in a bottle with their freshman QB. They are very fun to watch.

Gary Patterson - TCU,

Chris Peterson - Boise State

Chip Kelly - Oregon

Dana Holgerson - WVA

Rich Rod. - Arizona

Of course we would want to add a very strong D coordinator to the staff. These coaches make is a lot of fun to go to games. I am sure their are others. Frankly, I enjoy the fast pace high scoring game better than grind it out types.

I am certain there are other names people can add as well. Some of the coaches I listed we have zero chance to get, but some would be in play.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank Solich

Really? He's 68 years old. We don't want to hire a coach knowing that we'll have to start looking for another one in just a few years.

Frank Solich

Really? He's 68 years old. We don't want to hire a coach knowing that we'll have to start looking for another one in just a few years.

You are correct. I was simply looking over coaches records and didn't think about his age. In all seriousness I want Garry Patterson but I don't think he will leave TCU.

Okay, so some folks on here don't like the idea of Herm Edwards or Jon Gruden or even Bill Cowher. Really?!?!?

First of all, NFL teams are constantly trying to hire Bill Cowher. He works hard and he is enthusiastic. How would Bill Cowher recruit? Well let's see, he's on TV analyzing football all the time. He has all kinds of NFL connections too. Remember, that's what the families and kids alike want most of all: The chance to play in the pros. Cowher demands respect and kids would flock to an opportunity to play for a coach that won a superbowl. One last thing on him, he would be the kind of hire that would shake the very foundation of college football itself.

Moving on to Jon Gruden. You really think recruiting would be a problem first of all for a superbowl winner? Next, the man has one of the most powerful personalities in sports not just football. He has a brilliant offensive mind and say what you want to about him, he was able to take that Tampa Bay team over the hump and finally win the big one. Gruden is on TV ALL THE TIME! The man analyzes Monday Night Football! He's one of the most recognizable figures in all of sports. Gruden would have absolutely no problem recruiting. In fact, he'd out recruit anybody in the country I'm really to bet. To think Gruden wouldn't do a good job is really not sound logic.

Now Finally, let's look at one Herm Edwards. Yes, he had his struggles in the NFL to put it mildly. Yet, coaches coming out of the NFL struggling tend to do quite well when they move back to the college ranks because they've been around the league and they know exactly what it takes to get there. Did you guys not see the all day celebration of Herm Edwards's speech "You play to win the game!" He keeps into contact with a multitude of top players. Nobody could name drop like Herm Edwards and he would out recruit anybody in college football period. In addition, he's a class act and a great man. He's one of those hires that would combine both winning and integrity. I don't get why we wouldn't be ecstatic of his hire. I think he would be an absolute HOME RUN. So would Cowher or Gruden as well.

Frank Solich

I'd be fine with that if I knew he could pull off a Bill Snyder job at AU.

Edwards would not be an exciting hire. The last Time he coached in college was his only, and it was during the 1980s as a graduate assistant at San Jose State. His record is 54-74 as a head coach. That's not too terribly impressive...

Okay, so some folks on here don't like the idea of Herm Edwards or Jon Gruden or even Bill Cowher. Really?!?!?

First of all, NFL teams are constantly trying to hire Bill Cowher. He works hard and he is enthusiastic. How would Bill Cowher recruit? Well let's see, he's on TV analyzing football all the time. He has all kinds of NFL connections too. Remember, that's what the families and kids alike want most of all: The chance to play in the pros. Cowher demands respect and kids would flock to an opportunity to play for a coach that won a superbowl. One last thing on him, he would be the kind of hire that would shake the very foundation of college football itself.

Moving on to Jon Gruden. You really think recruiting would be a problem first of all for a superbowl winner? Next, the man has one of the most powerful personalities in sports not just football. He has a brilliant offensive mind and say what you want to about him, he was able to take that Tampa Bay team over the hump and finally win the big one. Gruden is on TV ALL THE TIME! The man analyzes Monday Night Football! He's one of the most recognizable figures in all of sports. Gruden would have absolutely no problem recruiting. In fact, he'd out recruit anybody in the country I'm really to bet. To think Gruden wouldn't do a good job is really not sound logic.

Now Finally, let's look at one Herm Edwards. Yes, he had his struggles in the NFL to put it mildly. Yet, coaches coming out of the NFL struggling tend to do quite well when they move back to the college ranks because they've been around the league and they know exactly what it takes to get there. Did you guys not see the all day celebration of Herm Edwards's speech "You play to win the game!" He keeps into contact with a multitude of top players. Nobody could name drop like Herm Edwards and he would out recruit anybody in college football period. In addition, he's a class act and a great man. He's one of those hires that would combine both winning and integrity. I don't get why we wouldn't be ecstatic of his hire. I think he would be an absolute HOME RUN. So would Cowher or Gruden as well.

1,000 times right

Say what you want about Edwards, but the main is major public figure in football. I can't see how he would have a hard time recruiting. Sorry, I don't buy that. Nope, not for a second. Regardless, that's a big time hire in my opinion I will agree to disagree. I think he'd be great. To me, Gruden is the best for Auburn of the three. I just see Edwards as a successful recruiter. Honestly, I don't think he'd have a problem at all. In fact, I can't for the life of me see how he would have trouble.

Say what you want about Edwards, but the main is major public figure in football.

Which still has nothing to do with actually being able to coach football to 18-22 year olds.

I can't see how he would have a hard time recruiting. Sorry, I don't buy that. Nope, not for a second.

And you based this on...speeches and enthusiasm. That's really naive.

Regardless, that's a big time hire in my opinion I will agree to disagree. I think he'd be great. To me, Gruden is the best for Auburn of the three. I just see Edwards as a successful recruiter. Honestly, I don't think he'd have a problem at all. In fact, I can't for the life of me see how he would have trouble.

You're welcome to hold an opinion but at least base in on something substantive. The man has literally never had to do it.

Gruden cohwer patterson or any of those are never going to happen...I don't know how some of you have convinced yourselves this will happen

Please recall that BAMA also recently hired Mike Dubose, Mike Price and Mike Shula to mention just a few.

Although he has his character flaws, Mike Price is still a good coach. He has UTEP as a semi-competitive program in C-USA

Please recall that BAMA also recently hired Mike Dubose, Mike Price and Mike Shula to mention just a few.

Although he has his character flaws, Mike Price is still a good coach. He has UTEP as a semi-competitive program in C-USA

Eh...they are 2-7 this year. Went 5-7 last season and 6-6 the year before. He's about to get canned.

Nobody is stating we'll hire one of the big time names. You're wasting your time telling folks like us we're wasting our time. In actuality, we mostly agree Auburn will continue its trend of underwhelming hires. For that matter, I'm skeptical that Jacobs is gone at the end of this season. I trust the insiders here don't get me wrong. It's just hard to fathom Jay Jacobs being removed like all of us on here want. So far this season, something all of us have wanted in agreement whether it be improvement or winning or going to Mason enough or stopping the telegraphed toss sweeps with McCaleb. Unfortunately, we seem to all be in agreement about those things and yet they have not gone the way we all wanted.

Now on Edwards, I guess you have a point on me further explaining myself. Not only is he a public figure, but he is a public figure that is well liked and respected by just about everybody in football. That goes beyond just being a public figure because he is so well liked all over the country. Do not underestimate star power when it comes to teens. I remember when I was their age I would have been star struck by somebody like that.

He is the son of a WWII vet. He certainly seems like the type to instill discipline and with that kind of background growing up, it might be that he is able to fix Auburn's problems with fundamentals. He is a workout warrior and he would not tolerate a lack of solid conditioning. I have no rebuttal against his record while he was at New York and Kansas City. They are atrocious, but that was in the NFL. If I remember correctly, neither Saban nor Spurrier did all that well in the NFL.

In my personal opinion, he seems quite able to successfully analyze and give astute observations on various NFL schemes and plays. Again, that's my own personal opinion some may disagree with that notion. He would immediately create a buzz all over the college football landscape. Whether we like it or not, ESPN is a powerful entity in sports and they offer amazing exposure for programs when they fall in love with that particular institution. The thing that would dictate his success in college would be his ability to create a coaching staff with chemistry that can work together as a cohesive unit. In the end, if he could do that, he would field a great team every year in my mind.

Chris Petersen 208-426-2408 ( Boise State Football Office Phone Number ). Somebody who knows Dr. Gouge or someone on the BOTS, please give them this number and give him a chance to say no. He might not. He was offered 4 million a year by UCLA a while back and turned it down. He said it was about lifestyle. Boise is much more like Auburn than Los Angeles. The guy just knows how to win and hates to lose more than anything. That's what we need. Lately, Chizik looks more like he's trying to decide what's for dinner after losing a game than to figure out what's going wrong. I just want to see a change of culture that will benefit AU for many years to come.

If not Petrino how about the coach from OK St?

Gundy is who I've wanted all along. But Gundy is an Ok State alumni, and has a solid position at T.Boone Pickens University. I don't think he wants to leave. Stoops would be much more likely. Not to mention, Norman, OK is a dump.

I mentioned Gundy a few pages back. Gunny is a lifer at OKSU. If we are targeting an "up-and-comer", we need to target his OC Todd Monken.

Chris Petersen 208-426-2408 ( Boise State Football Office Phone Number ). Somebody who knows Dr. Gouge or someone on the BOTS, please give them this number and give him a chance to say no. He might not. He was offered 4 million a year by UCLA a while back and turned it down. He said it was about lifestyle. Boise is much more like Auburn than Los Angeles. The guy just knows how to win and hates to lose more than anything. That's what we need. Lately, Chizik looks more like he's trying to decide what's for dinner after losing a game than to figure out what's going wrong. I just want to see a change of culture that will benefit AU for many years to come.

Chris Petersen? Get real. The failure of former Boise State coaches as they moved up to bigger programs leads to believe they have a good program not necessarily great coach.

Yea Dan Hawkins did a lot at CU ditto Dirk Koetter at ASU why would Petersen be any different.

I don't get why anyone would think Gruden is a pod hire. That really blows my mind that mensa's on this board can think that.

He would be a superstar hire. Yea but Malzahn would be a better choice get real.

As incompetent as our AD I eagerly await the announcement we hired Chan Gaily.

NFL hire or bust

Gundy is who I've wanted all along. But Gundy is an Ok State alumni, and has a solid position at T.Boone Pickens University. I don't think he wants to leave. Stoops would be much more likely. Not to mention, Norman, OK is a dump.

I mentioned Gundy a few pages back. Gunny is a lifer at OKSU. If we are targeting an "up-and-comer", we need to target his OC Todd Monken.

Why do we have to target up and comers sorry of we have to deal with Saban I don't want a guy who is not already a proven winner as a HC.

Everything else would be a complete failure

Why do we have to target up and comers sorry of we have to deal with Saban I don't want a guy who is not already a proven winner as a HC.

Everything else would be a complete failure

The only "up-and-comer" i would be happy with is Taggert. However, I'd also like a proven coach. Besides Gruden, Charlie Strong is my top candidate.

Someone in the know, please ease my mind a little!!!

I have heard from someone with connections in the AU Athletic dept. that Rich Rod and Houston Nutt are names that he keeps hearing.

Please tell me this is not correct!!! I don't know if I could support either of these coaches.

I have heard from someone with connections in the AU Athletic dept. that Rich Rod and Houston Nutt are names that he keeps hearing.

Please tell me this is not correct!!! I don't know if I could support either of these coaches.

I'm not "in the know" but none of the ones that I have talked to that claim to be have mentioned either of those names.

Chris Petersen? Get real. The failure of former Boise State coaches as they moved up to bigger programs leads to believe they have a good program not necessarily great coach.

Yea Dan Hawkins did a lot at CU ditto Dirk Koetter at ASU why would Petersen be any different.

I don't get why anyone would think Gruden is a pod hire. That really blows my mind that mensa's on this board can think that.

He would be a superstar hire. Yea but Malzahn would be a better choice get real.

As incompetent as our AD I eagerly await the announcement we hired Chan Gaily.

NFL hire or bust

Funny post. I like it but have to disagree with the NFL hire. It is just my personal opinion that NFL coaches typically do not want to deal with the immature kids and their parents, etc.. I honestly think we will have enough good choices at the college level.

I'm not "in the know" but none of the ones that I have talked to that claim to be have mentioned either of those names.

I hope you are right. If these are the "splash hires" we are looking at, the pool must be pretty shallow!

Archived