ST tweets about Auburn football

ellitor

It's making me nervous about the (possible) hire when I see ellitor mentioning Smart and Malzahn. In my opinion, either of those would be very underwhelming.

I'm on board with Fisher or Petrino as much bigger names, and would put the unlikely candidates of Patterson, Peterson, and Strong on the list of solid hires as well. But I don't think Gus has proven he can handle being the head coach of a top program yet, and I'm hoping that Smart sticks around to take over at UA when Saban is done so he can tank their program instead of ours.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's making me nervous about the (possible) hire when I see ellitor mentioning Smart and Malzahn. In my opinion, either of those would be very underwhelming.

I'm on board with Fisher or Petrino as much bigger names, and would put the unlikely candidates of Patterson, Peterson, and Strong on the list of solid hires as well. But I don't think Gus has proven he can handle being the head coach of a top program yet, and I'm hoping that Smart sticks around to take over at UA when Saban is done so he can tank their program instead of ours.

There is no way to know how Smart will do as a HC so I don't know where the assumption that he will tank a program comes from.

There is no way to know how Smart will do as a HC so I don't know where the assumption that he will tank a program comes from.

One would think that Smart is picking up a lot of good pointers on how to be a successful college football coach. Besides, I for one don't think Richt is going anywhere any time soon.

Malzahn would get the job done on the Plains. It is so obvious now that Rocker instilled the toughness and Malzahn was the perfectionist during our successful seasons with Chizik. Now they are both gone we have a season like this year.

Malzahn would get the job done on the Plains. It is so obvious now that Rocker instilled the toughness and Malzahn was the perfectionist during our successful seasons with Chizik. Now they are both gone we have a season like this year.

Not to mention, Cam provided the talent, and ZIemba and the other SR OL provided the blocking, and Nick provided the tackling.

Funny this, a LOT of AU fans seemed to be happy to see CGM go last year. LOL. That is why you don't let fans make decisions, they change directions like flags blowing in the wind and you can't run any organization that way.

I was glad to see Malzahn go and I stand by that. The spread is not a long term solution. It only works in the SEC when you have a really good QB and it cripples your defense.

Heavily disagree

I was glad to see Malzahn go and I stand by that. The spread is not a long term solution. It only works in the SEC when you have a really good QB and it cripples your defense.

Heavily disagree

You have to play an attacking high risk/ reward style to get your defense off the field quicker, but I like it. They either get burned quick, or they make a big play and get the ball back to the Offense quickly.

please, someone, fire chiz now.

i know that it is like $200k more to do so than wait til december, but i'm sure they au athletic dept asked, we could get 200,000 au fans to pay pal a dollar or so.

promote BVG to interim HC to "interview" him.

Why on earth? Even Loeffler's offense is doing much, much better than BVG's defense. If you're gonna' promote somebody, give it to Boulware, he's the only coach whose players have played winning ball this year.

I dont think its a matter of having a "really good QB" as much as it is simply having a QB to fit you system. Tebow wasnt a "really good QB". Neither is Manziel. They are really good spread QB's however. Meyers spread failed post-Tebow not just because Brantley wasnt Tebow but because he wasnt a spread QB at all.. Same with Gus's spread. I dont believe any offensive system would operate effectively without the proper personnel. Imagine Sabans offense ran with Oregons players.

And I do believe the spread is the long term solution. We all said "that Big-12" stuff wont work in the SEC. Well, aTm proves that theory wrong. They are putting up Big 12 numbers in their FIRST YEAR, with a FIRST YEAR head coach and with a FIRST YEAR QB. Half of the SEC 6 straight BSCNC's were won by spread offenses. The spread neutalizes any talent advantage and we are rarely going to outrecruit the Bamas, LSU's, FL's, UGA's and even aTm's of the world. The spread gives Saban fits (look at teams that have beat him lately). What has he done against "the pro-style"? 49-7 vs pro-style #7 MSU. 21-0 against pro-style #1 LSU.

Chris Todd set all sorts of Auburn records and he's hardly a super spread QB. The spread is the best way to score points, which is the point of running an offense. Unless you are going to out-recruit the Big Dogs every year, the spread is the way to go. It IS the future of college football for the next time period.

Heavily disagree

I'm Chris Todd and I approve this message.

Heavily disagree

I'm Chris Todd and I approve this message.

Say what you will about Tony Franklin, but he completely set up the offense for 2009. 2008 was bumpy, but his system prepared them for Malzahn. Chris Todd was a good QB before Gus got there, he just didn't have any weapons.

You have to have a philosophy you stand behind one way or the other. It doesn't matter if you pick offense or defense, or what it is. Mike Leach had his and it brought Texas Tech on up. Tuberville has his and it's winning them games. Chip Kelly has his and it's piling up points. Petrino had his. Malzahn, Morris, Sumlin/Kingsbury, Saban, Miles, etc. They pick their poison and it may burn them a few times, but more often than not it works since they always recruit for it and their players know what they're getting because their coach has a clear idea. Chizik does not. He came in with one style, switched randomly to another, and if he stays he'll probably switch again because of this nightmare season. The only thing that has stayed the same is his s***ty defense. So he does have a philosophy, it's just awful.

You have to have a philosophy you stand behind one way or the other. It doesn't matter if you pick offense or defense, or what it is. Mike Leach had his and it brought Texas Tech on up. Tuberville has his and it's winning them games. Chip Kelly has his and it's piling up points. Petrino had his. Malzahn, Morris, Sumlin/Kingsbury, Saban, Miles, etc. They pick their poison and it may burn them a few times, but more often than not it works since they always recruit for it and their players know what they're getting because their coach has a clear idea. Chizik does not. He came in with one style, switched randomly to another, and if he stays he'll probably switch again because of this nightmare season. The only thing that has stayed the same is his s***ty defense. So he does have a philosophy, it's just awful.

Spot on

Good point.

Spot on

The problem with his D is that he wastes his time blaming AU's O for the lack of good D when he should have been studying and innovating his D, which is now outdated and of course teaching fundamentals to the players. It is becoming more and more obvious that he had success at AU in the past as a DC, because he had position coaches that really did a great job i.e. Whitt, Sr., Dunn, etc. & at the time the traditional Tampa 2 worked vs the offenses of that time.

Spot on

The problem with his D is that he wastes his time blaming AU's O for the lack of good D when he should have been studying and innovating his D, which is now outdated and of course teaching fundamentals to the players. It is becoming more and more obvious that he had success at AU in the past as a DC, because he had position coaches that really did a great job i.e. Whitt, Sr., Dunn, etc. & at the time the traditional Tampa 2 worked vs the offenses of that time.

Absolutely right. The game is changing and D coordinators are having a difficult time with it. There may even be rule changes to address the problems hunh has caused for them. That said, tackling is tackling. The fundamentals remain.

Spot on

Absolutely right. The game is changing and D coordinators are having a difficult time with it. There may even be rule changes to address the problems hunh has caused for them. That said, tackling is tackling. The fundamentals remain.

yes...

tackling is tackling and EFFORT is EFFORT... Both of which have been sadly lacking inspite of being told over and over that "we have had great practices".

The Tampa 2 would work just fine if the players were coached up to run it....you have to have exceptional athletes and mental composition to run it.

The Tampa 2 would work just fine if the players were coached up to run it....you have to have exceptional athletes and mental composition to run it.

The traditional Tampa 2 does not work vs spread O's, those that still run it and have had success vs spread O's have modified it to combat the spread. There is a reason the teams in the NFL that have incorporated spread philosophies into their O's have been tearing it up on offense.

I am also so glad to see Malzahn gone, what with those pesky record-setting offenses and whatnot.

Yeah. He acted like he was some kind of genius or something. Too smart for his own good, if you ask me. Good thing Chiz reined him in.

Stat said in another thread that the Tampa 2 has a very tough time stoping the spread because it allows for too much space.

Archived