ST tweets about Auburn football

ellitor

Bill O'Brien

...would not be interested in coming to Auburn at this time.

With all due respect my friend I have been told he is interested and wants out of Penn St because he had no idea the NCAA sanctins would be as bad as they are.

He has yet to commit to 2013 at Penn St.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What O'Brien might want to worry about is if there is a reduction in scholies, which I believe there is (but I could be wrong) how is that going to affect Penn St's success in the coming seasons. Will the fans after this season's success be patient as they should be or will they be like Tenn's fans, who just fired a coach that had to deal with being on probation, because of the last coach? Penn St is going to continue to have depth issues for a few years and O'Brien may not want to deal with it and risk a "Dooley situation".

I don't know much about O'Brien. I do know quite a bit about Jimbo. Can someone provide a comparison of why AU would want one more than the other. In my limited knowledge it seems as if Jimbo has a better HC background, and is more proven?

I don't know much about O'Brien. I do know quite a bit about Jimbo. Can someone provide a comparison of why AU would want one more than the other. In my limited knowledge it seems as if Jimbo has a better HC background, and is more proven?

You're correct about Jimbo's better background. My guess is that O'Brien's name comes up because if we can't get Jimbo, O'Brien would be a viable option.

Isn't the buy out in place to help the coach in case he is prematurely fired? Why would there be a buyout for him to leave? Such a buyout would not help him in the least.

Mutual buyouts are common, but, IMO, O'Brien's lawyer didn't do a good job on that buyout.

Isn't the buy out in place to help the coach in case he is prematurely fired? Why would there be a buyout for him to leave? Such a buyout would not help him in the least.

Mutual buyouts are common, but, IMO, O'Brien's lawyer didn't do a good job on that buyout.

Well someone needs to tell O'Brien because at this point he is not committed to Penn St.

Well someone needs to tell O'Brien because at this point he is not committed to Penn St.

Isn't his buyout something ridiculous? Like 10+ million?

Isn't his buyout something ridiculous? Like 10+ million?

Yep. It's discussed above. :thumbsup:

That would be a good idea. It is possible that OB could try to void the contract by saying PSU officials mislead him when he interviewed for the job. I'm not sure that we would want a guy who might be headed for litigation.

I am impressed with OB, but I think the buyout kills the deal. And, yes, I can read the same sources that say he is not committed to PSU, but I can also read his contract and he will be facing a huge uphill battle if he leaves.

That would be a good idea. It is possible that OB could try to void the contract by saying PSU officials mislead him when he interviewed for the job. I'm not sure that we would want a guy who might be headed for litigation.

I am impressed with OB, but I think the buyout kills the deal. And, yes, I can read the same sources that say he is not committed to PSU, but I can also read his contract and he will be facing a huge uphill battle if he leaves.

I apologize if my post came across as insulting your intellegence. That was not my intent at all. I was just being serious that someone needs to tell him because he is not committed to Penn St for 2013 and has reached out to Auburn.

Kentucky did the only right thing. Tennessee did the only right thing. Will Auburn do the only right thing to save their football program and athletic department?

Kentucky did the only right thing. Tennessee did the only right thing. Will Auburn do the only right thing to save their football program and athletic department?

halfway yes. Chizik is down 5 touchdowns with 3 minutes left in the game.

Would he a be a good hire? what does he know about the SEC style of football? To win in the SEC, you have to have a strong defense and even a stronger running game.

I apologize if my post came across as insulting your intellegence. That was not my intent at all. I was just being serious that someone needs to tell him because he is not committed to Penn St for 2013 and has reached out to Auburn.

Hey, man, no problem. He will not be the first coach to make a monumental blunder when it comes to contracts. His buyout states that he will pay PSU an amount equal to the amount that he would have earned as the HC for the entire length of his original contract AND any extensions. I emphasized extensions because his contract was extended in July by 4 years when PSU got put on probation. That took his then current buyout from $9.2 to $18.4.

If he is serious about leaving I supposed OB is going to travel on the "I was hoodwinked" theory. That said, considering all the hoodwinking that did go on at PSU, he may well have a very good case. Even so, litigation is lengthy, time consuming and expensive.

Hey, man, no problem. He will not be the first coach to make a monumental blunder when it comes to contracts. His buyout states that he will pay PSU an amount equal to the amount that he would have earned as the HC for the entire length of his original contract AND any extensions. I emphasized extensions because his contract was extended in July by 4 years when PSU got put on probation. That took his then current buyout from $9.2 to $18.4.

If he is serious about leaving I supposed OB is going to travel on the "I was hoodwinked" theory. That said, considering all the hoodwinking that did go on at PSU, he may well have a very good case. Even so, litigation is lengthy, time consuming and expensive.

Fair and valid points.

Most buyout clauses have provisions for both sides. To protect a coach in the case of a firing, the coach gets money. In the case of a coach leaving before his contract is up, he would be responsible for paying the school.

Archived