Now or Never!

Altima

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want a "big name" as much as I want someone with the best track record. I think Petrino (unless Bob Stoops somehow gets into the mix) is that person. Pat Dye, Tommy Tuberville and Shug weren't hired into the league at a time like this. Shug got it before Bryant was there, Dye got in just as Bryant was leaving. Tubs came in at a time where other than Spurrier, the other major rivals in the league had names like Jim Donnan, Gerry Dinardo, Mike Dubose and Houston Nutt. Well, there was Fulmer but he always seemed to be subject to who his coordinators were. The league is much tougher now. I think the kinds of hires that might have worked for us before aren't good enough this time.

I don't want a "big name" as much as I want someone with the best track record. I think Petrino (unless Bob Stoops somehow gets into the mix) is that person. Pat Dye, Tommy Tuberville and Shug weren't hired into the league at a time like this. Shug got it before Bryant was there, Dye got in just as Bryant was leaving. Tubs came in at a time where other than Spurrier, the other major rivals in the league had names like Jim Donnan, Gerry Dinardo, Mike Dubose and Houston Nutt. Well, there was Fulmer but he always seemed to be subject to who his coordinators were. The league is much tougher now. I think the kinds of hires that might have worked for us before aren't good enough this time.

I agree completely. When you look at the conference back in the late 90's and early 00's it was not even close to the competitiveness it has now. The bar has been raised with the six straight NC's.

If Chucky is on the table... Or even in the room... We need to go after him with reckless abandon.

He's never beaten Saban! I kid.

In all honesty, I don't know if Gruden would succeed in college. In the pros you work 18 hr days. In college you work 20 hr weeks. I don't know how he would handle that, being the control freak he is.

Also, Gruden despises inexperienced qbs. The most success he had in the pros were with Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson. They were both close to 40. I don't know that he has the patience to groom a qb. Also his record was 100-85. He gets a lot of respect to basically be a .500 coach.

In all honesty, I don't know if Gruden would succeed in college. In the pros you work 18 hr days. In college you work 20 hr weeks. I don't know how he would handle that, being the control freak he is.

That's just for the players, though, right? He could still make his assistants sit in the complex with him watching film and gameplanning 100+ hours/week

I don't necessarily think we need to hire a big name, it's just that other schools are showing that they are willing to do it. I'd be willing to go get an up-and-comer, but we don't have many of those on our list either. Jimbo Fisher: SEC-level talent, but hasn't dominated his weak conference and loses to lesser opponents every year. Malzahn: could be good, but has only been a head coach one year and inherited a team that was pretty good. Kirby Smart: Saban assisstant with no HC experience, other Saban guys have flamed out once they get way from him. Petrino: we don't need to beat this dead horse anymore. Patterson: legit. Petersen: Boise has been good for a while, other Boise coaches have flamed out at BCS-level programs.

I would be more than happy if we were talking to guys like Jim Mora, Jr. (which is starting to go around the rumor mill), his success at UCLA is pretty well documented, or Mike MacIntyre, who inherited a 1-win San Jose State team and got them to 10 wins in two full seasons. If we aren't going to go after big names, let's go after guys with better track records of turning programs around as a HC. Patterson, Mora, Jr. and MacIntyre fit that bill.

Jim Mora Jr. showed he can coach, but this is his first year coaching college football. We have no idea if the guy can recruit.

I say hire Spurrier.

Malzahn's the next Spurrier.

Visor? I've never seen CGM throw his, though.

He will throw his chewing gum.

Brilliant! It would slow down the other teams D when they step in it.

If Chucky is on the table... Or even in the room... We need to go after him with reckless abandon.

He's never beaten Saban! I kid.

Also, Gruden despises inexperienced qbs. The most success he had in the pros were with Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson. They were both close to 40. I don't know that he has the patience to groom a qb. Also his record was 100-85. He gets a lot of respect to basically be a .500 coach.

Agree. Gruden had a difficult time finding a QB at the NFL level. He will find a college QB capable of running his system every 25 years or so.

Did anybody watch the Texas A & M Alabama game where the best defense in the country was pushed all ovefr the field by a spread offense? It's not the spread versus pro style............Texas A & M's players were physical and well coached/disciplined......they completed their assignments and kicked butt. Please quit getting caught up in a style. Saban hates the spread because he cannot defend it as well.........

I like the old fashioned hard nosed defenses as well; but why can't we have that as well as a wide open offense that is hard to defend? I already know the arguments, but I'm stubborn...........I think we can have our cake and eat it as well!

Did anybody watch the Texas A & M Alabama game where the best defense in the country was pushed all ovefr the field by a spread offense? It's not the spread versus pro style............Texas A & M's players were physical and well coached/disciplined......they completed their assignments and kicked butt. Please quit getting caught up in a style. Saban hates the spread because he cannot defend it as well.........

I like the old fashioned hard nosed defenses as well; but why can't we have that as well as a wide open offense that is hard to defend? I already know the arguments, but I'm stubborn...........I think we can have our cake and eat it as well!

You should be able to have both......besides if you have a high octane offense you do not necessarily need a number one defense.....I would say top 25 to 30 would be good. Be good enough to bail out the offense if it ever gets shut down.

You should be able to have both......besides if you have a high octane offense you do not necessarily need a number one defense.....I would say top 25 to 30 would be good. Be good enough to bail out the offense if it ever gets shut down.

College football is still trying to develop a training program that can create players that can play hard nosed defense and support the HUNH. Taking a bunch of very big bodies and conditioning them for an endurance race where they have to give 100% every hit is quite a challenge, especially when you need them to be ready in 1-2 years. That's exactly why a ball control offense is the standard for a dominating D. They give the D time to rest. The HUNH basically makes it so the D needs to be able to last twice as long.

Then you get into the issue of defending the HUNH. For that, those big bodies that stand firm in the trenches also need to be able to move... FAST, and change direction on a dime. It's quite the challenge to build a D that can do it all. One of these year, however, a coach is going to figure out a technique and a new defensive style will be born.

Shoot for the stars. What's the worst that can happen? I say.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16399-1354307707-3.gif

LOL, reminds me of that old 80's show "Greatest American Hero"

College football is still trying to develop a training program that can create players that can play hard nosed defense and support the HUNH. Taking a bunch of very big bodies and conditioning them for an endurance race where they have to give 100% every hit is quite a challenge, especially when you need them to be ready in 1-2 years. That's exactly why a ball control offense is the standard for a dominating D. They give the D time to rest. The HUNH basically makes it so the D needs to be able to last twice as long.

Then you get into the issue of defending the HUNH. For that, those big bodies that stand firm in the trenches also need to be able to move... FAST, and change direction on a dime. It's quite the challenge to build a D that can do it all. One of these year, however, a coach is going to figure out a technique and a new defensive style will be born.

:bow: The most intellectual post on the explanation of the term "built" that I have seen yet. :bow:

I heard on 93.7 yesterday that Jimbo Fisher was out???

Phillip Marshall reported this yesterday. Does anyone know if he is no longer being considered because he declined interest or if his requirement for bringing his GM to be the AD caused him to not be considered by the JJ led committee?

Why can people not understand that Jimbo Fisher and Jeff Fisher are not the same person?

Thanks for the call out. I actually do know the difference between the two coaches. I now understand why some people make the same mistake I did. I pulled the wrong quote because of the similarity in the names. So let me ask my question the right way as I am very interested in the answer.

Phillip Marshall said that Jeff Fisher is no longer in the mix. Does anyone know if it was Jeff Fisher's choice or the search committee's choice for not pursuing him?

I heard on 93.7 yesterday that Jimbo Fisher was out???

Phillip Marshall reported this yesterday. Does anyone know if he is no longer being considered because he declined interest or if his requirement for bringing his GM to be the AD caused him to not be considered by the JJ led committee?

Why can people not understand that Jimbo Fisher and Jeff Fisher are not the same person?

Thanks for the call out. I actually do know the difference between the two coaches. I now understand why some people make the same mistake I did. I pulled the wrong quote because of the similarity in the names. So let me ask my question the right way as I am very interested in the answer.

Phillip Marshall said that Jeff Fisher is no longer in the mix. Does anyone know if it was Jeff Fisher's choice or the search committee's choice for not pursuing him?

I have wondered the same the same thing. Jeff Fisher has been my first choice since the day of Chizik's firing. If he is out of the running, at least the reason why would bring some closure. I'm not sure anyone has the answer but maybe the Fisher details will come out after we make the welcome the new coach. Great question!

Archived