Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Pretty sure Petrino hasn't ever caused a school to be on probation. It's not like some shady things haven't gone on while chizik has been here. Our image has already been tarnished. I'm an alumni and I'd rather win with Petrino than lose with Chizik

Pretty sure Petrino hasn't ever caused a school to be on probation. It's not like some shady things haven't gone on while chizik has been here. Our image has already been tarnished. I'm an alumni and I'd rather win with Petrino than lose with Chizik

Out of curiousity...could you name just one of those "shady things" you make reference to and back it up with hard evidence..NOT what Joe Schad or Danny Sheridan have claimed?

Yes, I can. The whole Cam Newton deal. Whether something happened or not, our image to other schools and fans is that we paid him. I'm not saying we did or didn't and we may never know. That would be one shady thing.

It is fact that Cecil was shopping Cam out. The ONLY reason he was eligible was because he allegedly didn't know HIMSELF. You honestly think Cecil asked MSU for money but not Auburn?? (Lewis, this isn't to you...just chose to reply to your post)

I love the use of the word shopping by everyone in the "know". Funny the NCAA NEVER said that and Cecil NEVER admitted it. The fact is it isn't true. He WAS complicit in a conversation because thats what the NCAA found...THAT my friend is NOT SHOPPING. Then the quesiton is what does complicity imply....not in any context does it imply SHOPPING..if he was SHOPPING his son the NCAA would've said as much....they DIDNT!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiousity...could you name just one of those "shady things" you make reference to and back it up with hard evidence..NOT what Joe Schad or Danny Sheridan have claimed?

Yes, I can. The whole Cam Newton deal. Whether something happened or not, our image to other schools and fans is that we paid him. I'm not saying we did or didn't and we may never know. That would be one shady thing.

It is fact that Cecil was shopping Cam out. The ONLY reason he was eligible was because he allegedly didn't know HIMSELF. You honestly think Cecil asked MSU for money but not Auburn?? (Lewis, this isn't to you...just chose to reply to your post)

Fact...huh? Ok

Why do you think he was ruled ineligible by Auburn until the NCAA looked over and said that the premise of Cam not knowing was fine?

Fact...huh? Ok

Why do you think he was ruled ineligible by Auburn until the NCAA looked over and said that the premise of Cam not knowing was fine?

Protocol..its the NCAA way. Plus it got the NCAA to come out and make a ruling allowing him to play against UGa...otherwise, there would've been more gray area than with that ruling

...your "whatever it takes to win" crowd will be the ones complaining the most when that same macho BS lands us on probation.

Another reason to pull for petrino.... He has never had NCAA issues.

Legal issues and moral issues, yes. But no NCAA issues. I would be totally shocked if BP was hired by Auburn, or any top D1 team for that matter.

I am completely amazed by the willingness of "Auburn fans" to sell out their own in defense of an effing scumbag. Make all the excuses you want to defend that puke but it sure seems suspect to throw Auburn under the bus as a "cheater" to justify hiringhim. Good Lord..I NEVER figured I see the Auburn Family this damn dysfunctional!

I am completely amazed by the willingness of "Auburn fans" to sell out their own in defense of an effing scumbag. Make all the excuses you want to defend that puke but it sure seems suspect to throw Auburn under the bus as a "cheater" to justify hiringhim. Good Lord..I NEVER figured I see the Auburn Family this damn dysfunctional!

He is a good coach. He has zero NCAA issues. He has messed up, though he is human, don't tell me you have lived your life perfectly. I thought it was Auburn men and women's nature to take the high road? You obviously hate him on a personal level. We are talking of coaching football...not the man as a human being.

He is a good coach. He has zero NCAA issues. He has messed up, though he is human, don't tell me you have lived your life perfectly. I thought it was Auburn men and women's nature to take the high road? You obviously hate him on a personal level. We are talking of coaching football...not the man as a human being.

Last I checked Im not on the short list for a $3- $4mil a year job. If I was your question might make more sense...otherwise it still remains as a lame attempt to justify hiring a guy whose track record is not one I would want as the HC at Auburn. I get it..you want him. I do not and never will and cannot believe the childish logic Im reading in his defense.

Last I checked Im not on the short list for a $3- $4mil a year job. If I was your question might make more sense...otherwise it still remains as a lame attempt to justify hiring a guy whose track record is not one I would want as the HC at Auburn. I get it..you want him. I do not and never will and cannot believe the childish logic Im reading in his defense.

Yeah, we need another good Christian man with a 5 - 19 record......we can agree to disagree

...your "whatever it takes to win" crowd will be the ones complaining the most when that same macho BS lands us on probation.

Legal issues and moral issues, yes. But no NCAA issues. I would be totally shocked if BP was hired by Auburn, or any top D1 team for that matter.

Eventually a D-1 will hire him. When it happens, that team will be a top 10 team within a few years of his hiring. We will most likely still be rebuilding.

Yeah, we need another good Christian man with a 5 - 19 record......we can agree to disagree

Nice deflection...my position doesn't have anything to do with his religion or morality. You love the guy..thats your right. I do not but, dont play the religion card because there again is just another shallow attempt to shape an argument using Gene Chiziks failures against him.

Nice deflection...my position doesn't have anything to do with his religion or morality. You love the guy..thats your right. I do not but, dont play the religion card because there again is just another shallow attempt to shape an argument using Gene Chiziks failures against him.

I don't love CBP. I don't agree with some of his personal choices...but I'm not going to judge him for it. Do I think he would make an excellent head coach though? Of course, it would be silly to not consider someone that took ARKANSAS to the top 10 and had double digit winning seasons a good head coach.

I just feel you aren't looking at all of the facts and are letting personal feelings to the way he treated his wife influence you possibly.

CBP is a GREAT football coach. As a person is another story but as a head coach he would be an excellent hire.

I try to look at things unbiased and from a athletics side. Look in the Jimbo thread...I have been posting why he would be a good hire as well...

Eventually a D-1 will hire him. When it happens, that team will be a top 10 team within a few years of his hiring. We will most likely still be rebuilding.

It will be this year and it will probably be in SEC, like Kentucky. If that happens we might as well get used to losing to Kentucky.

I don't love CBP. I don't agree with some of his personal choices...but I'm not going to judge him for it. Do I think he would make an excellent head coach though? Of course, it would be silly to not consider someone that took ARKANSAS to the top 10 and had double digit winning seasons a good head coach.

I just feel you aren't looking at all of the facts and are letting personal feelings to the way he treated his wife influence you possibly.

CBP is a GREAT football coach. As a person is another story but as a head coach he would be an excellent hire.

I try to look at things unbiased and from a athletics side. Look in the Jimbo thread...I have been posting why he would be a good hire as well...

Look, its really very simple. Obviously, you're willing to overlook what he did @ Louisville after basically holding them hostage while badgering them for more money which they gave him and he still left them virtually in the middle of the night looking for a coach. Samething in ATL...you got your spin on justifying both moves. I dont agree with you. I wont ever agree with you. The guy lacks integrity. His word aint worth the time it takes for him to give it. Thats not a moral judgement nor is a religious one. I am a businessman. I see everywhere that Auburn needs to run its Athletics Dept like a business. Trust me my friend....very few employers in the business world would hire this guy with the kind of stunts he's pulled in his career.

Look I am more pissed off at Chizik for not living up to what I had hoped he would, but it didn't work out. It is time to decide what Auburn wants to be. Do we want to be that warm and fuzzy,we love everybody 8-5 team and fanbase that complains and complains about not ever making it to the national championship game? OR do we want to be a team that is of the group that is consistently battling for the SEC title and BCS title every year?

Petrino was an AUBURN COACH at one time! We loved the guy! He screwed up and made a bad decision and now he is the lowest form of garbage that God ever placed upon the planet. Ridiculous.

You people who are so perfect and so unwilling to forgive this guy, should never, and I say, NEVER EVER post anything pertaining to the Auburn Creed again. Because if you really believed it, you would be willing to forgive the guy and give him a chance to redeem himself. But, hey, why would we who have never made a bad decision want to do that?

I've heard the crap of, "Well he deserves a chance to redeem himself, just not at Auburn."

Are you kidding me?

Look I am more pissed off at Chizik for not living up to what I had hoped he would, but it didn't work out. It is time to decide what Auburn wants to be. Do we want to be that warm and fuzzy,we love everybody 8-5 team and fanbase that complains and complains about not ever making it to the national championship game? OR do we want to be a team that is of the group that is consistently battling for the SEC title and BCS title every year?

Petrino was an AUBURN COACH at one time! We loved the guy! He screwed up and made a bad decision and now he is the lowest form of garbage that God ever placed upon the planet. Ridiculous.

You people who are so perfect and so unwilling to forgive this guy, should never, and I say, NEVER EVER post anything pertaining to the Auburn Creed again. Because if you really believed it, you would be willing to forgive the guy and give him a chance to redeem himself. But, hey, why would we who have never made a bad decision want to do that?

I've heard the crap of, "Well he deserves a chance to redeem himself, just not at Auburn."

Are you kidding me?

Who loves the guy? He left Auburn after one lack luster 7 - 5 season. I cant recall if he even hung around for the Bowl Game but I dont think he did. Speak for ourself I never loved the guy and the fact that he's demonstrated a tendency to repeat the same patterns over and over solidifies my position for me. What I dont get is how so many of you apparently believe its this guy or some loser who'll never win @ Auburn.What is Petrinos record against Alabama? Just curious

Are you kidding me?

Amen brother. Amen. Too much judging on past stuff on this topic. People can change. I think petrino probably has after his Arky adventure. I think he deserves a chance with us. And we KNOW he would get us regular 10 win seasons.

Are you kidding me?

Who loves the guy? He left Auburn after one lack luster 7 - 5 season. I cant recall if he even hung around for the Bowl Game but I dont think he did. Speak for ourself I never loved the guy and the fact that he's demonstrated a tendency to repeat the same patterns over and over solidifies my position for me. What I dont get is how so many of you apparently believe its this guy or some loser who'll never win @ Auburn.What is Petrinos record against Alabama? Just curious

Here we go again.

yeah, its stupid to have a look at a guys history when considering hiring him to fill a $3-to $4mil a year job.....

No, what's stupid is categorizing a coach's success based off of A record against another coach. If that were the case the players would just have to coach themselves. What angle you going to try to play then???

Because your not going to find a coach that has a favorable record against Saban in this era.

Are you kidding me?

Auburn needs a coach that will be insanely adept at paying attention to details and that will scare the ever loving crap out if his players so bad that they will shake when he walks into the room. Would Petrino be that guy? Maybe, maybe not. Would Strong or Fisher be that guy? Who knows? But Petrino has a track record of being a coach that expects his players to be perfect and doesn't get schools into NCAA trouble. Would he leave if he was offered more money to go to another school if he coached at Auburn? Maybe. But, if someone offered you a better position with more money and better benefits, would you take it? Come on.

Are you kidding me?

Actually we finished that season with only 4 losses; 3 of those (uga, southern cal, florida) were td or less and ask went down to the wire. We blew out a nick Saban coached LSU team and beat preen St I'm the capital one bowl. Hence we went into 2003 with a very high pre season ranking. THAT was the season we finished 7-5; THAT was Petrinos first season as Louiseville's head coach-that team he won an orange bowl win with and posted a 12-1 season with. So yeah, the guy can coach.

Look, its really very simple. Obviously, you're willing to overlook what he did @ Louisville after basically holding them hostage while badgering them for more money which they gave him and he still left them virtually in the middle of the night looking for a coach. Samething in ATL...you got your spin on justifying both moves. I dont agree with you. I wont ever agree with you. The guy lacks integrity. His word aint worth the time it takes for him to give it. Thats not a moral judgement nor is a religious one. I am a businessman. I see everywhere that Auburn needs to run its Athletics Dept like a business. Trust me my friend....very few employers in the business world would hire this guy with the kind of stunts he's pulled in his career.

I think you're right; we shouldn't overlook what he did at LOUISVILLE;

12-1 in his 4th season

Orange bowl champs in 07.

Louisville was not a football power before then, and really hasn't been much since until this season.

Are you kidding me?

Auburn needs a coach that will be insanely adept at paying attention to details and that will scare the ever loving crap out if his players so bad that they will shake when he walks into the room. Would Petrino be that guy? Maybe, maybe not. Would Strong or Fisher be that guy? Who knows? But Petrino has a track record of being a coach that expects his players to be perfect and doesn't get schools into NCAA trouble. Would he leave if he was offered more money to go to another school if he coached at Auburn? Maybe. But, if someone offered you a better position with more money and better benefits, would you take it? Come on.

you boys cant see the forest for the trees. its NOT that he left programs for better opportunities that I hold against him - its the way he did it, basically under the cover of night. He'll do Auburn the same way. He's proven himself. He has no problem giving his word then changing it at his discretion leaving behind a note saying See ya...Im out! Hell, if he's tempted he might even leave in mid-season...nah, he'd never do that to Auburn..LOL

I find it the very height of hypocrisy that in this state, the heart of the bible belt, people advocate not considering Petrino because he is "a scumbag". He made a mistake, just like Saul and Moses. My interpretation of Christ's teachings is he places a rather large emphasis on forgiveness. The older I grow, the more I realize that Christians go to church for the wrath of God stories. People love righteous indignation.

And to the poster who claimed that Auburn is about so much more than football, I agree. But the only thing about Auburn that will ever cause me to post on Internet message boards at 7am is football. Let's not kid ourselves, Auburn is first and foremost a football school.

Archived