Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

With all due respect to the people being against Petrino for his coaching and saying we would be a 3rd place team each year with him is a joke. Arky being 3rd every year was being way above their heads. Ina a vacuum with every team having average coaching Arky at best is battling Miss St. and Ole Miss for 5th based on facilities, resources, finances, and talent pool. Now with those same conditions Auburn is 3rd. Now you add Petrinlo to that mix given how great of a game day coach he is and excellent talent developer then Auburn becomes another super power in the west along w/ Bama, LSU, and soon to be A&M. Heck would would probably own Georgia to the point they fire Richt out of frustration.

I think you have to take into account Petrino's Scarlet A, that will surely be mentioned early and often on the recruiting trail. I know most players just want to win and get a chance to play in the league, but it will be a challenge Petrino has to overcome. If he comes to AU, he will be an easy target, he better hope he wins early, often, and big....because he will already have 2 strikes against him. Auburn football is already a joke, do we need a punchline as a head coach?

We have one now...The scandal will not have the affect on recruiting that you are fearing. Yes it is an obstacle but one that easily overcome with winning which he would do.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that this could have been handled much better than a note taped to lockers - that is what bothers me the most.

Also, take into consideration that this is a Scarbinsky quoting an agent. I can think of many agents that would have never bothered to try and repair the image of the guy that makes them money...........

Hardly worth a new thread - however - as big an anti-BP guy that I have been - I would support a BP hire as long as he has a VERY low buyout (if any). I do not think he will work, but I guess change is coming anyway. Good thing I am no longer use to seeing a good defense.

It's one thing for an agent to sort of 'spin' a story to make his client look as good as possible within the circumstances. But what Campbell is saying would have to be a bald-faced lie. And he has a very good reputation...not given to just making stories up out of whole cloth.

Good job keeping Petrino in one place.......

BP's Falcons were not as bad as Sabans Dolphins, but it was pretty clear BP wasnt working out and could have been no less than on the hotseat during this time. I find it hard to bleive that the Falcons would block him from talking to Arky during this time unless they knew he planned on bolting before the season ended. No one outside of the Falcons front office and BP really know how it went down - and I think his agent was just casting reasonable doubt ----- because by this point, what else could he do to make BP look less slimy?

He's also a lying scumbag. "IF" he were to come here he'd have to win immediately to get over this. I don't want the man. I think we can do so much better.

Again, so is Saban. I guess we are too good for him too.

yep

I continue to fail to see what relevance Nick Saban has to this issue. I for one thnk Saban is perfect fit at Alabama. There is an awful lot of ENVY issues circulating among Auburn fans about now. Its sad to have to admit that what Bama fans have always said about Auburn fans has come true. They've always contended that all we wanted was to be like them. Seems we're there

The similarities are these. Both are successful football coaches that have publically lied. Also in Saban's case when he was hired some people (bama fans and otherwise) said such things as "you can't trust him" or "he'll never be able to recruit because everyone knows he's a liar" or "Alabama is better than him". People are also saying this about Petrino.

And to say I have "bama envy" is inaccurate. I have winning envy. Auburn has won in the past, and I believe they certainly can in the future. It just bugs the heck out of me that Auburn has the opportunity to hire a great coach but people want to cast moral aspersions and feel good about themselves instead of giving a great coach a second chance. Could he screw Auburn and leave in the middle of the night? Absolutely. But it's just as possible that he could be so grateful that Auburn gave him a second chance that he dedicates his life to putting Auburn football where it belongs, on top. A humble, hungry Bobby Petrino would be a force to be reckoned with.

That's my opinion of the state of the school I love.

Also to address the Russ Campbell chatter. He's a lawyer in bham that represents chizik, used to represent Petrino and also currently represents Paul Finebaum. I'm gonna try to listen to a half hour of that circus today. If I don't make it out alive, war eagle

He's also a lying scumbag. "IF" he were to come here he'd have to win immediately to get over this. I don't want the man. I think we can do so much better.

yep

I continue to fail to see what relevance Nick Saban has to this issue. I for one thnk Saban is perfect fit at Alabama. There is an awful lot of ENVY issues circulating among Auburn fans about now. Its sad to have to admit that what Bama fans have always said about Auburn fans has come true. They've always contended that all we wanted was to be like them. Seems we're there

The similarities are these. Both are successful football coaches that have publically lied. Also in Saban's case when he was hired some people (bama fans and otherwise) said such things as "you can't trust him" or "he'll never be able to recruit because everyone knows he's a liar" or "Alabama is better than him". People are also saying this about Petrino.

And to say I have "bama envy" is inaccurate. I have winning envy. Auburn has won in the past, and I believe they certainly can in the future. It just bugs the heck out of me that Auburn has the opportunity to hire a great coach but people want to cast moral aspersions and feel good about themselves instead of giving a great coach a second chance. Could he screw Auburn and leave in the middle of the night? Absolutely. But it's just as possible that he could be so grateful that Auburn gave him a second chance that he dedicates his life to putting Auburn football where it belongs, on top. A humble, hungry Bobby Petrino would be a force to be reckoned with.

Well said.

Also to address the Russ Campbell chatter. He's a lawyer in bham that represents chizik, used to represent Petrino and also currently represents Paul Finebaum. I'm gonna try to listen to a half hour of that circus today. If I don't make it out alive, war eagle

Finebaum sez Chizik is out come Monday...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/11/finebaum_auburn_has_zero_chanc.html#incart_more_sports

yep

My point as well. We all love AU...we all want to see the kids happy and playing hard, I think we can all agree on that. We all have different moral tolerance and expectations. We all come from different backgrounds. We all have different jobs and life experiences. WE ALL HOWEVER HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON, AND THAT IS AN UNDYING LOVE FOR AUBURN UNIVERSITY.

CAN WE JUST STOP ALL THE ARGUMENT ABOUT COACHES FOR 4 AND A HALF MORE DAYS DURING IB WEEK?? IB DAY IS THE MOST EXCITING, MOST ANTICIPATED DAY IN THE STATE OF ALABAMA FOR ALOT OF US.

WE'VE BEEN DOGGING OUT OUR COACHES, PLAYERS, PROSPECTIVE COACHES AND MOST IMPORTANTLY OURSELVES THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SEASON. CHEER UP GUYS, IT'S ALMOST OVER, BUT CAN WE FOR ONCE THIS SEASON DROP ALL THE DRAMA AND STAND WITH THIS TEAM FOR ONE MORE GAME.

I KNOW I CAN, AND WILL PROUDLY CONTINUE TO WAVE MY AU FLAG ON SATURDAY. LET'S GO BEAT SOME BAMMER TAIL!!!WDE! FLUSH THE TURDS!!!

Good article on Petrino.

Post Life Petrino:

http://m.wdrb.com/de...nttype=rssstory

Full article for those not wanting to click the link.

Why post-Petrino life is no picnic

Oct 01, 2012 12:05 PM CST

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- They're seeing a show in Arkansas that also had a three-year run in Louisville. Bobby Petrino is no easy act to follow.

We're not talking about the NFL, where schemes are uniformly sophisticated and talent takes over. But at the college level, when Petrino walks out the door, the vacuum left is considerable.

At the University of Louisville, Petrino left a stable of starters -- including 10 players on offense alone who would eventually be drafted into the NFL -- but the best they could do was a 6-6 record in the season after he left and worse in the two seasons after. At Arkansas, John L. Smith took a team with SEC championship aspirations under Petrino and, in the wake of a scandal that cost Petrino his job, is going to be lucky to keep the program above water.

While the situations aren't identical, they are related. I don't know the particulars at Arkansas like I do at Louisville, but some at Louisville might shed light on what is happening now.

In Louisville, Petrino bolted for the Atlanta Falcons but left a strong returning core from a team that won the Orange Bowl. Into his place went Steve Kragthorpe, who had worked wonders at Tulsa and whose offensive reputation was as good as any up-and-coming coach in the college game.

And the Cardinals did put up good offensive numbers in his first season -- good enough to be a top-10 offense nationally. But the program was already beginning to fray at the edges. Why?

It started with some small items fans wouldn't normally notice. From distributing the meal money in a different way to the level of offensive preparation detail or the approach to discipline, factors compounded to derail the transition.

I'm going to relay some incidents that were told to me by former players well after the fact, none of whom would agree to be identified. But they're examples of the kind of change that can lead to difficulties.

Under Petrino, something like a cell phone ringing in the offensive meeting room was a major infraction. If Paul Petrino heard a phone ring in one of his meetings, there was no telling what might happen. Forget confiscation, the phone would be lucky to survive, and the player might feel lucky to survive. In the first offensive meeting under Charlie Stubbs, Kragthorpe's new offensive coordinator, a phone rang, and players sat up in their seats, cringing almost reflexively. Stubbs stopped speaking, the phone rang once more before it could be silenced, there was an expectant moment of quiet, then he continued without acknowledging it.

It was a new day.

Even before that, the change was evident. The first time one position group showed up for some "voluntary" skeleton drills such as all teams run during the summer, they started to run the drills outlined on a sheet for them by the new coaches. About 15-20 minutes in, one player said to the other, "That's it." The others were confused. These were 45-minute or 1-hour drills under the predecessors. They'd gotten to the end of the list in a fraction of that time. They ran through the drills three more times, then stopped.

Wide receivers, accustomed to a precision attack in which coaches would literally measure out the steps that each player would run before cutting or making a move in his route, now were told, instead of how many steps, to go out seven yards and curl, or whatever the route was. The result was routes that wound up growing less precise.

Now it's important to understand, there was nothing negligent or substandard on the part of the new staff. The way they were doing it was the way staffs were doing it throughout much of college football. But Petrino has been successful not just because he sweats the small stuff, but because he obsesses over it.

He had assistants staying in the U of L football complex until 11 p.m. over the summer going over game film of teams they wouldn't play for three months.

Players derived a great deal of confidence from the offensive game plan. During coaches' meetings, assistants would each propose their "scoring plays" of the week, those they determined would be most likely to break for big gains or scores. When an agreement was reached, they'd tell the team in running through the script of the first 15 or 20 plays, "This is the touchdown play."

The staff was right so many times that players began to believe them when they told them a particular play was going to score. And the offense was so effective that players derived confidence from that. Eric Wood, a center at the time, told me for a story I did for the newspaper, "We just can't wait to see what they have planned every week. You really look forward to seeing the game plan to see what they've found to attack."

I remember sitting with Wood in the film room one summer, and he was operating video of Miami, explaining not only their line schemes but their pass coverages. He could barely keep still. "See that corner?" he said. "When he turns his feet in, he's going to drop off in coverage. If he's straight ahead, he's going to press-cover." On another play he laughed at a Miami blitz and said, "We're going to gash 'em."

They did.

Away from the lines, Petrino was never a warm and fuzzy presence. Players interacted largely with their position coaches. Fear was a powerful motivator. Petrino was known for violent outbursts of temper, and his criticism, while constructive, was painfully, brutally honest. And, as many players would tell you, usually on the money. He heard one local high school star was belittling the program on an official visit and kicked the player out, ending his recruitment on the spot.

After a couple of scrapes with the law in Petrino's first month, U of L football went three seasons without any stories about its players getting into serious off-the-field trouble. When U of L went to Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl, Petrino wouldn't let the players out of the hotel on New Year's Eve. "Will you guys have a party?" we asked linebacker Brandon Johnson. "Yeah," he said. "We'll have 50 parties -- two deep."

Nobody was leaving the rooms. Players who came to U of L with rough reputations wound up staying in line. If players had problems, coaches became a constant presence. It was said Paul Petrino was Mario Urrutia's shadow for two years. Must have worked. Urrutia entered his final season at U of L on pace to be the all-time NCAA leader in yards per reception, only to struggle through his last season before declaring for the draft.

At the same time, there were rumblings after Petrino's departure that the coach had been too lax when it came to taking action on positive drug tests. The first positive test got you sent to drug counseling. The second got you a one-game suspension. The third got you a four-game suspension. Some later alleged that if there was a first, there usually was no testing done to risk a second or third. But attempts to get even aggregate records were not successful.

Under Kragthorpe, players had a three-strike policy. First offense garnered a one-game suspension, counseling and mandatory testing for one year. The second positive got a 4-game suspension and enrollment in a treatment program, and a third got you dismissed.

Players started being dismissed in high numbers, including some who had people around the school scratching their heads, because they'd been otherwise good citizens. Nobody could divulge the real reason for many of the dismissals, though one source close to the program said, "They chose pot over their football futures."

Others, like Rod Council, seemed to unravel without the constant presence of a threatening force. Council wound up bolting from campus and being arrested for armed robbery.

Some of the dismissals fostered resentment, and by the time Charlie Strong arrived as head coach, things had drifted to the point that he had to tell players to stay off their cell phones during halftimes of games.

What happened was a confluence of factors. Losing always heightens frustration, and magnifies every problem. And it's the beginning of the issues of post-Petrino coaching.

Petrino's offensive system can't be replicated, because so much of it is based upon the insight of his own design, and the instinct of his play-calling. You lose not only the architect, but the contractor.

Players pick up on that. And they also tend to exhale once a coach is gone who has kept them under his thumb in so many ways.

It doesn't mean the guys following Petrino haven't known what they were doing. They've demonstrated in their football careers that they do -- though at Louisville there were major coaching issues with Kragthorpe that in the end accounted for the decline, and you can't say there aren't major problems at Arkansas with current leadership too.

But Arkansas was in trouble on the field from the day Petrino was dismissed, even though John L. Smith is a good coach. The combination of tanking of confidence and the natural tendency of players to relax once an intimidating factor is gone leads to problems. So does the onset of losing. So does losing a gifted offensive play-caller.

One U of L official, at the end of the Cardinals' second game post-Petrino, a 58-42 win that the Cardinals had led just 38-35 at halftime over Middle Tennessee, got a text from Petrino in Atlanta as the game was ending. It read, "What the ---- was that?"

When it comes to life for programs in immediate post-Petrino times, that seems to be a common question.

Those of you begging for Petrino, remember this, you are making him the face of the program. He will be the first person associated with Auburn Football.

I believe in second chances. I believe sometimes, good people do bad things. I would support him being hired for almost any other position but you cannot seriously want to make him the most recognizable figure associated with Auburn.

Made it readable.

Why post-Petrino life is no picnic

Oct 01, 2012 12:05 PM CST

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- They're seeing a show in Arkansas that also had a three-year run in Louisville. Bobby Petrino is no easy act to follow.

We're not talking about the NFL, where schemes are uniformly sophisticated and talent takes over. But at the college level, when Petrino walks out the door, the vacuum left is considerable.

At the University of Louisville, Petrino left a stable of starters -- including 10 players on offense alone who would eventually be drafted into the NFL -- but the best they could do was a 6-6 record in the season after he left and worse in the two seasons after. At Arkansas, John L. Smith took a team with SEC championship aspirations under Petrino and, in the wake of a scandal that cost Petrino his job, is going to be lucky to keep the program above water.

While the situations aren't identical, they are related. I don't know the particulars at Arkansas like I do at Louisville, but some at Louisville might shed light on what is happening now.

In Louisville, Petrino bolted for the Atlanta Falcons but left a strong returning core from a team that won the Orange Bowl. Into his place went Steve Kragthorpe, who had worked wonders at Tulsa and whose offensive reputation was as good as any up-and-coming coach in the college game.

And the Cardinals did put up good offensive numbers in his first season -- good enough to be a top-10 offense nationally. But the program was already beginning to fray at the edges. Why?

It started with some small items fans wouldn't normally notice. From distributing the meal money in a different way to the level of offensive preparation detail or the approach to discipline, factors compounded to derail the transition.

I'm going to relay some incidents that were told to me by former players well after the fact, none of whom would agree to be identified. But they're examples of the kind of change that can lead to difficulties.

Under Petrino, something like a cell phone ringing in the offensive meeting room was a major infraction. If Paul Petrino heard a phone ring in one of his meetings, there was no telling what might happen. Forget confiscation, the phone would be lucky to survive, and the player might feel lucky to survive. In the first offensive meeting under Charlie Stubbs, Kragthorpe's new offensive coordinator, a phone rang, and players sat up in their seats, cringing almost reflexively. Stubbs stopped speaking, the phone rang once more before it could be silenced, there was an expectant moment of quiet, then he continued without acknowledging it.

It was a new day.

Even before that, the change was evident. The first time one position group showed up for some "voluntary" skeleton drills such as all teams run during the summer, they started to run the drills outlined on a sheet for them by the new coaches. About 15-20 minutes in, one player said to the other, "That's it." The others were confused. These were 45-minute or 1-hour drills under the predecessors. They'd gotten to the end of the list in a fraction of that time. They ran through the drills three more times, then stopped.

Wide receivers, accustomed to a precision attack in which coaches would literally measure out the steps that each player would run before cutting or making a move in his route, now were told, instead of how many steps, to go out seven yards and curl, or whatever the route was. The result was routes that wound up growing less precise.

Now it's important to understand, there was nothing negligent or substandard on the part of the new staff. The way they were doing it was the way staffs were doing it throughout much of college football. But Petrino has been successful not just because he sweats the small stuff, but because he obsesses over it.

He had assistants staying in the U of L football complex until 11 p.m. over the summer going over game film of teams they wouldn't play for three months.

Players derived a great deal of confidence from the offensive game plan. During coaches' meetings, assistants would each propose their "scoring plays" of the week, those they determined would be most likely to break for big gains or scores. When an agreement was reached, they'd tell the team in running through the script of the first 15 or 20 plays, "This is the touchdown play."

The staff was right so many times that players began to believe them when they told them a particular play was going to score. And the offense was so effective that players derived confidence from that. Eric Wood, a center at the time, told me for a story I did for the newspaper, "We just can't wait to see what they have planned every week. You really look forward to seeing the game plan to see what they've found to attack."

I remember sitting with Wood in the film room one summer, and he was operating video of Miami, explaining not only their line schemes but their pass coverages. He could barely keep still. "See that corner?" he said. "When he turns his feet in, he's going to drop off in coverage. If he's straight ahead, he's going to press-cover." On another play he laughed at a Miami blitz and said, "We're going to gash 'em."

They did.

Away from the lines, Petrino was never a warm and fuzzy presence. Players interacted largely with their position coaches. Fear was a powerful motivator. Petrino was known for violent outbursts of temper, and his criticism, while constructive, was painfully, brutally honest. And, as many players would tell you, usually on the money. He heard one local high school star was belittling the program on an official visit and kicked the player out, ending his recruitment on the spot.

After a couple of scrapes with the law in Petrino's first month, U of L football went three seasons without any stories about its players getting into serious off-the-field trouble. When U of L went to Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl, Petrino wouldn't let the players out of the hotel on New Year's Eve. "Will you guys have a party?" we asked linebacker Brandon Johnson. "Yeah," he said. "We'll have 50 parties -- two deep."

Nobody was leaving the rooms. Players who came to U of L with rough reputations wound up staying in line. If players had problems, coaches became a constant presence. It was said Paul Petrino was Mario Urrutia's shadow for two years. Must have worked. Urrutia entered his final season at U of L on pace to be the all-time NCAA leader in yards per reception, only to struggle through his last season before declaring for the draft.

At the same time, there were rumblings after Petrino's departure that the coach had been too lax when it came to taking action on positive drug tests. The first positive test got you sent to drug counseling. The second got you a one-game suspension. The third got you a four-game suspension. Some later alleged that if there was a first, there usually was no testing done to risk a second or third. But attempts to get even aggregate records were not successful.

Under Kragthorpe, players had a three-strike policy. First offense garnered a one-game suspension, counseling and mandatory testing for one year. The second positive got a 4-game suspension and enrollment in a treatment program, and a third got you dismissed.

Players started being dismissed in high numbers, including some who had people around the school scratching their heads, because they'd been otherwise good citizens. Nobody could divulge the real reason for many of the dismissals, though one source close to the program said, "They chose pot over their football futures."

Others, like Rod Council, seemed to unravel without the constant presence of a threatening force. Council wound up bolting from campus and being arrested for armed robbery.

Some of the dismissals fostered resentment, and by the time Charlie Strong arrived as head coach, things had drifted to the point that he had to tell players to stay off their cell phones during halftimes of games.

What happened was a confluence of factors. Losing always heightens frustration, and magnifies every problem. And it's the beginning of the issues of post-Petrino coaching.

Petrino's offensive system can't be replicated, because so much of it is based upon the insight of his own design, and the instinct of his play-calling. You lose not only the architect, but the contractor.

Players pick up on that. And they also tend to exhale once a coach is gone who has kept them under his thumb in so many ways.

It doesn't mean the guys following Petrino haven't known what they were doing. They've demonstrated in their football careers that they do -- though at Louisville there were major coaching issues with Kragthorpe that in the end accounted for the decline, and you can't say there aren't major problems at Arkansas with current leadership too.

But Arkansas was in trouble on the field from the day Petrino was dismissed, even though John L. Smith is a good coach. The combination of tanking of confidence and the natural tendency of players to relax once an intimidating factor is gone leads to problems. So does the onset of losing. So does losing a gifted offensive play-caller.

One U of L official, at the end of the Cardinals' second game post-Petrino, a 58-42 win that the Cardinals had led just 38-35 at halftime over Middle Tennessee, got a text from Petrino in Atlanta as the game was ending. It read, "What the ---- was that?"

When it comes to life for programs in immediate post-Petrino times, that seems to be a common question.

Look out folks! It's the moral police. Thanks perfect citizen.

Hope one day I can reach the level of perfection both of you possess. Must be nice to be pure as the driven snow. Good grief.

Boy, it really stings to be at the wrong end of such razor sharp wit. I guess simple logic and reason isn't worth the hassle if the genius across the table has his next coach already picked out.

I don't recall picking anyone as the next head coach at AU. Simple logic and reason? Laughable, I suppose. Pounding of ones chest over moral superiority and winning arguments that hold no water? Go for it.

Hope one day I can reach the level of perfection both of you possess. Must be nice to be pure as the driven snow. Good grief.

Boy, it really stings to be at the wrong end of such razor sharp wit. I guess simple logic and reason isn't worth the hassle if the genius across the table has his next coach already picked out.

I don't recall picking anyone as the next head coach at AU. Simple logic and reason? Laughable, I suppose. Pounding of ones chest over moral superiority and winning arguments that hold no water? Go for it.

Awesome. Even some of the moderators on this site have become ignore-worthy. Nice knowin' ya, Chief.

EDIT: Huh. Turns out I'm not allowed to ignore this prick? Nice knowin' ya, AUFAMILY.

Awesome. Even some of the moderators on this site have become ignore-worthy. Nice knowin' ya, Chief.

You never knew me. Don't be so dramatic.

well, 115 pages and i havent opined on the BP subject ... i am a little late to the party, but gosh almight i want to be part of the fun too!

i dont want to get into the BP morality part except for this ... it has become apparent to me that you can not be a consistent championship program with a "nice guy" head coach. i cant think of a single one. richt? mack brown? paterno (oops nevermind) ... i hate to admit it, but it seems the championship programs have hardarse coaches thru and thru ... there are differing degrees of morality that go along with win, win, win guys and your "appropriate" morality and someone elses will always be in the eye of the beholder ... so i am going to stay on the pragmatic side of this.

BP is a very good offensive coach. he is a proven winner except against bama the last 4 years ... neither has anyone else. he knows the sec. he knows recruiting the south. he knows auburn. in 2003 important PTB (admittedly some of those guys arent around anymore) wanted him as did a significant segment of the fan base.

auburn has superior talent right now. auburn has superior facilities. regardless of personal issues, existing offensive players and recruits would absolutely love to play for this guy. he has proven he can put big offensive numbers up. as far as the defense ... if you leave BVG in place, allowing him full control of the D and the D assistants - this would provide consistency with existing players and recruits who obviously like him because they have commited to auburn while he is the D Coord.

so you gain a reknowned offensive mind. you jazz up the O players and recruits (they dont care about the off field stuff - they want to win and win now) the culture will become very business like and will run off the players that dont want to work - which needs to be done anyways. you give full control to BVG which will jazz up the D players and recruits - let him do it his way. the D will improve, the O will start to put points on the board. it interjects new blood and provides some consistency in some staff. I would love for Boulware to stay on board.

i dont personally like BP as a human being, but the last couple of years i have become seriously cynical about human beings ... i will support auburn, not the coaching staff. give BP a relatively low base pay and make it huge in winning incentives. there absolutely has to be little to 0 buyout. I am sick of buyout clauses. that is a losers mentatlity. auburn is without a doubt a top 20 program and is in reality a top 15 program. if a coach wants to leave what we have ... then ... bye! i want to be able to dump BP if he looks at the president wrong. you are hired to win. you will be paid handsomely only if you do so. if you suck, you are gone. if you do anything immoral (which looks to be in your nature) then i have the option to dump you with impunity.

he is available now. and can start next monday.

well there is my stance. i would prefer stoops or harbaugh ... but that aint gonna happen and would be a huge gamble to wait on them in our situation. we would hang on to the majority of our recruits if we hired BP and kept BVG (yes i think BVG is a good coach, but hasnt been allowed to do things his way)

Those of you begging for Petrino, remember this, you are making him the face of the program. He will be the first person associated with Auburn Football.

I believe in second chances. I believe sometimes, good people do bad things. I would support him being hired for almost any other position but you cannot seriously want to make him the most recognizable figure associated with Auburn.

I want to do just that. Do you remember when Pat Dye gave Otis Mounds a 2nd chance? I know Otis wasn't the face of the university but coach dye, Otis Mounds and Auburn University were better off for it. This certainly could blow up in Auburn's face. I'm just sick of seeing Auburn hire coaches that are overmatched and overwhelmed. Bobby Petrino isn't. There has been occasions were he loses his starting qb mid game and the next guy up doesn't miss a beat. All 85 of his players are ready to play. I can think of no greater compliment to give a coach. He is a virtuoso play caller. Remember the '03 ib? Tre Smith and Robert Johnson looked like all Americans. He doesn't meddle with the defensive coaches. I KNOW I'm not the only Auburn fan that is sick of that.

My point is yes it's a gamble to make Petrino the face of the university. It's gonna be a gamble no matter who we hire. Sometimes in life you have to make calculated risks. I think this risk is worth the potential reward.

I agree that this could have been handled much better than a note taped to lockers - that is what bothers me the most.

Also, take into consideration that this is a Scarbinsky quoting an agent. I can think of many agents that would have never bothered to try and repair the image of the guy that makes them money...........

Hardly worth a new thread - however - as big an anti-BP guy that I have been - I would support a BP hire as long as he has a VERY low buyout (if any). I do not think he will work, but I guess change is coming anyway. Good thing I am no longer use to seeing a good defense.

It's one thing for an agent to sort of 'spin' a story to make his client look as good as possible within the circumstances. But what Campbell is saying would have to be a bald-faced lie. And he has a very good reputation...not given to just making stories up out of whole cloth.

Good job keeping Petrino in one place.......

BP's Falcons were not as bad as Sabans Dolphins, but it was pretty clear BP wasnt working out and could have been no less than on the hotseat during this time. I find it hard to bleive that the Falcons would block him from talking to Arky during this time unless they knew he planned on bolting before the season ended. No one outside of the Falcons front office and BP really know how it went down - and I think his agent was just casting reasonable doubt ----- because by this point, what else could he do to make BP look less slimy?

He did more than cast reasonable doubt. He gave an account that was all but the exact opposite of what the Falcons said. So you're not accusing him of just shading it in a positive light for his client, you're saying he's a straight up liar. And he didn't need to make BP "look less slimy." His client had a 5-year deal in hand already from a school and fanbase that was ecstatic to get him.. There was no pressing need to do anything for Petrino's image.

Auburn will get hammered no matter who is hired really. Might as well go ahead and hire the best guy out there.

It is naiveté to pretend that the college football world, including Auburn, is pure while Petrino is a morally bankrupt outlier. Pat Dye is no angel and yet our field is named after him. Petrino messed up, but that doesn't make him unredeemable. Drop the stones, people, and let the man coach football. It's one thing he does right.

Are you tryimng to put Pat Dye on the same level as Bobby Petrino? Good grief..thats the silliest thing Ive ever read in this forum. Pat Dye never had a sustained pattern of lying to his employers and leaving them in the middle of the night for more money. Come on man...you cannot be serious with that attempt?

There is an article stating the behind the scenes workings of why he left Atlanta and Louisville. That article they are interviewing a third party, not Petrino himself. Maybe we don't have all the true facts about why he left those programs?

Theres better ways to leave than the way he chose to do it. I dont really need anymore info.My contention is...he'll do Auburn the same way he's done every other stop along his coaching career. Its hard to wash the stripes off a zebra.

TTub did the same thing to ole miss, or did we all forget that.

That was 15 years ago wasn't it? How did that end? I know what, lets just do the same things over and over and over again and expect a different result.LOL. BTW, not that it matters but, Tubs DID NOT do the same things Petrino did...you're mistaken about that

Actually, Tubs did leave Ole Miss basically overnight, and I would question his morality after the incident with his assistant coach at TTech, care to change your mind?

You are reaching big time if you even remotely are trying to compare Tubbs actions on sideline vs BP actions...try Rick Pitino..it's a bit closer...lol

All that aside, do you think BP will committ to building an SEC defense instead of having a roster of 17 wr, will he build a team that can stop the run when needed and run it when you need to..his coaching philosophy does win a lot of games, but this league is founded on running the ball and stopping the run ....if he could have done that in games against Updyke U he might have a SEC title...it's not all about his personal life, his coaching acumen although good, is far from complete. His teams are not known for physical football, and he is not known to have great sitiuational defensive teams.....

All that aside, do you think BP will committ to building an SEC defense instead of having a roster of 17 wr, will he build a team that can stop the run when needed and run it when you need to..his coaching philosophy does win a lot of games, but this league is founded on running the ball and stopping the run ....if he could have done that in games against Updyke U he might have a SEC title...it's not all about his personal life, his coaching acumen although good, is far from complete. His teams are not known for physical football, and he is not known to have great sitiuational defensive teams.....

his defenses at UL were just as good on average as Charlie Strongs are. He knows how to utilize his talent he can get. Ronnie Brown vs Penn State for example. Im on a tablet so not much help wirh stats but Ark had good runnings stats as did UL were he took michael bush from us in recruiting battle and had solid well ballanced attacks.

Edit just notice he didnt recruit MB. Just moved him from qb to RB.

well, 115 pages and i havent opined on the BP subject ... i am a little late to the party, but gosh almight i want to be part of the fun too!

i dont want to get into the BP morality part except for this ... it has become apparent to me that you can not be a consistent championship program with a "nice guy" head coach. i cant think of a single one. richt? mack brown? paterno (oops nevermind) ... i hate to admit it, but it seems the championship programs have hardarse coaches thru and thru ... there are differing degrees of morality that go along with win, win, win guys and your "appropriate" morality and someone elses will always be in the eye of the beholder ... so i am going to stay on the pragmatic side of this.

BP is a very good offensive coach. he is a proven winner except against bama the last 4 years ... neither has anyone else. he knows the sec. he knows recruiting the south. he knows auburn. in 2003 important PTB (admittedly some of those guys arent around anymore) wanted him as did a significant segment of the fan base.

auburn has superior talent right now. auburn has superior facilities. regardless of personal issues, existing offensive players and recruits would absolutely love to play for this guy. he has proven he can put big offensive numbers up. as far as the defense ... if you leave BVG in place, allowing him full control of the D and the D assistants - this would provide consistency with existing players and recruits who obviously like him because they have commited to auburn while he is the D Coord.

so you gain a reknowned offensive mind. you jazz up the O players and recruits (they dont care about the off field stuff - they want to win and win now) the culture will become very business like and will run off the players that dont want to work - which needs to be done anyways. you give full control to BVG which will jazz up the D players and recruits - let him do it his way. the D will improve, the O will start to put points on the board. it interjects new blood and provides some consistency in some staff. I would love for Boulware to stay on board.

i dont personally like BP as a human being, but the last couple of years i have become seriously cynical about human beings ... i will support auburn, not the coaching staff. give BP a relatively low base pay and make it huge in winning incentives. there absolutely has to be little to 0 buyout. I am sick of buyout clauses. that is a losers mentatlity. auburn is without a doubt a top 20 program and is in reality a top 15 program. if a coach wants to leave what we have ... then ... bye! i want to be able to dump BP if he looks at the president wrong. you are hired to win. you will be paid handsomely only if you do so. if you suck, you are gone. if you do anything immoral (which looks to be in your nature) then i have the option to dump you with impunity.

he is available now. and can start next monday.

well there is my stance. i would prefer stoops or harbaugh ... but that aint gonna happen and would be a huge gamble to wait on them in our situation. we would hang on to the majority of our recruits if we hired BP and kept BVG (yes i think BVG is a good coach, but hasnt been allowed to do things his way)

Very well said...I'll get onboard with that...wde

I want to do just that. Do you remember when Pat Dye gave Otis Mounds a 2nd chance? I know Otis wasn't the face of the university but coach dye, Otis Mounds and Auburn University were better off for it. This certainly could blow up in Auburn's face. I'm just sick of seeing Auburn hire coaches that are overmatched and overwhelmed. Bobby Petrino isn't. There has been occasions were he loses his starting qb mid game and the next guy up doesn't miss a beat. All 85 of his players are ready to play. I can think of no greater compliment to give a coach. He is a virtuoso play caller. Remember the '03 ib? Tre Smith and Robert Johnson looked like all Americans. He doesn't meddle with the defensive coaches. I KNOW I'm not the only Auburn fan that is sick of that.

My point is yes it's a gamble to make Petrino the face of the university. It's gonna be a gamble no matter who we hire. Sometimes in life you have to make calculated risks. I think this risk is worth the potential reward.

+1 ...nice post

Archived