Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

It is naiveté to pretend that the college football world, including Auburn, is pure while Petrino is a morally bankrupt outlier. Pat Dye is no angel and yet our field is named after him. Petrino messed up, but that doesn't make him unredeemable. Drop the stones, people, and let the man coach football. It's one thing he does right.

Are you tryimng to put Pat Dye on the same level as Bobby Petrino? Good grief..thats the silliest thing Ive ever read in this forum. Pat Dye never had a sustained pattern of lying to his employers and leaving them in the middle of the night for more money. Come on man...you cannot be serious with that attempt?

There is an article stating the behind the scenes workings of why he left Atlanta and Louisville. That article they are interviewing a third party, not Petrino himself. Maybe we don't have all the true facts about why he left those programs?

Theres better ways to leave than the way he chose to do it. I dont really need anymore info.My contention is...he'll do Auburn the same way he's done every other stop along his coaching career. Its hard to wash the stripes off a zebra.

TTub did the same thing to ole miss, or did we all forget that.

That was 15 years ago wasn't it? How did that end? I know what, lets just do the same things over and over and over again and expect a different result.LOL. BTW, not that it matters but, Tubs DID NOT do the same things Petrino did...you're mistaken about that

Actually, Tubs did leave Ole Miss basically overnight, and I would question his morality after the incident with his assistant coach at TTech, care to change your mind?

yes he did..at the end of the season. The difference being he had not been virtually holding Ole Miss hostage for more money which they obliged him with and then left anyway. You dont see the difference there? let me get this straight...I am to change my mind about what? Something that a coach @ Texas Tech did? Help me understand, please, what you're asking me to change my mind about would ya?

He had also stated that they would have to carry him out of Oxford in a pine box. Which carries with it the idea of committment.

&

Because he is the same human being at Texas Tech as he was at Auburn. If its that logic we are going by then the question of Petrino's morality should be thrown out of the window because he is not the same person he was at Arkansas.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn is better than Petrino.

I would argue that Auburn is better than chizik.

No argument here. If you're looking for a guy to defend Chizik, I'm not him. I'd be open to almost any discussion about who our next HC should be. I just think AU is better than Petrino, just one humble Class of 2001 ALUM's opinion.

My argument is that Auburn DESERVES better. Hard for me to believe the misguided perspectives Ive read in this thread. From a displayed willingness to throw Auburn under the bus as cheaters, to calling me a Pollyanna, to suggesting that Im a hypocrite etc etc. The dysfunction in the Auburn fanbase is worse than ive ever seen it.

I love how the righteously indignant constantly complain about "the dysfunction in the Auburn family" because Auburn fans are sick of hiring good men who are mediocre coaches. Talk about doing the same things over and over. If you think Petrino would screw us over then this weekend ask yourself if Saban left for another job tomorrow, would Alabama have been better off not hiring him? Do you think Razorback fans wish they had never hired him? I'd wager they greatly enjoyed the sugar bowl and being ranked 3 in the bcs.

This entire discussion essentially comes down to one question: do you want to hire a great coach or a great man who might be a good coach? Personally, I'm sick of hiring good men (that's basically means someone who has never had a public scandal) over someone who will win football games.

Theres no righteous indignation here just thoughtful reflection about a University I love. Winning football games is nice but you're sounding more and more like the bamr fanbase that is a caricature of winning at any and all cost. You dont like my arguments, thats no skin off my nose. All you want is to win football games. I think you might need to realize that life does not revolve around football. I fully understand its importance to Auburn University but am not willing to compromise on how I feel about BP. You are. Good for you. I doubt seriously he'll be Auburns' next coach so I guess you're going top be heart broken about that.

I know there are people out there that do not care about the reputation of Auburn and just want wins but really I don't understand why we continue to discuss Petrino. Auburn can not afford the PR hit it would take if we hire him. I know all of the arguments for and against but seriously there is no way we hire him.

+1

It is naiveté to pretend that the college football world, including Auburn, is pure while Petrino is a morally bankrupt outlier. Pat Dye is no angel and yet our field is named after him. Petrino messed up, but that doesn't make him unredeemable. Drop the stones, people, and let the man coach football. It's one thing he does right.

Are you tryimng to put Pat Dye on the same level as Bobby Petrino? Good grief..thats the silliest thing Ive ever read in this forum. Pat Dye never had a sustained pattern of lying to his employers and leaving them in the middle of the night for more money. Come on man...you cannot be serious with that attempt?

There is an article stating the behind the scenes workings of why he left Atlanta and Louisville. That article they are interviewing a third party, not Petrino himself. Maybe we don't have all the true facts about why he left those programs?

Theres better ways to leave than the way he chose to do it. I dont really need anymore info.My contention is...he'll do Auburn the same way he's done every other stop along his coaching career. Its hard to wash the stripes off a zebra.

TTub did the same thing to ole miss, or did we all forget that.

That was 15 years ago wasn't it? How did that end? I know what, lets just do the same things over and over and over again and expect a different result.LOL. BTW, not that it matters but, Tubs DID NOT do the same things Petrino did...you're mistaken about that

Actually, Tubs did leave Ole Miss basically overnight, and I would question his morality after the incident with his assistant coach at TTech, care to change your mind?

yes he did..at the end of the season. The difference being he had not been virtually holding Ole Miss hostage for more money which they obliged him with and then left anyway. You dont see the difference there? let me get this straight...I am to change my mind about what? Something that a coach @ Texas Tech did? Help me understand, please, what you're asking me to change my mind about would ya?

He had also stated that they would have to carry him out of Oxford in a pine box. Which carries with it the idea of committment.

&

Because he is the same human being at Texas Tech as he was at Auburn. If its that logic we are going by then the question of Petrino's morality should be thrown out of the window because he is not the same person he was at Arkansas.

This makes no sense

I know there are people out there that do not care about the reputation of Auburn and just want wins but really I don't understand why we continue to discuss Petrino. Auburn can not afford the PR hit it would take if we hire him. I know all of the arguments for and against but seriously there is no way we hire him.

Why can we not afford the pr hit? I remember everyone saying Alabama couldn't afford the pr hit when they hired Saban. How many people talk about slimy saban the liar now? Whenever I hear people talk about Saban it's usually in reference to him being a great coach. If we hire Petrino and go to atl in 3 years then I say bring on the pr hit. You will feel better when your sec tix come in the mail.

All you Petrino devotees probaby need to relax and take a breath. i doubt you're going to get your wish. Just sayin

At this point, my concern is that nobody gets their wish (Petrino devotees, Jimbo devotees, Malzahn devotees, etc). Just ready to know something.

All you Petrino devotees probaby need to relax and take a breath. i doubt you're going to get your wish. Just sayin

At this point, my concern is that nobody gets their wish (Petrino devotees, Jimbo devotees, Malzahn devotees, etc). Just ready to know something.

That we can completely agree on. Me too! While Im not particularly excited about any of the names that seem to be talked about the most, Im really ready for some closure on the most dysfunctional timeframe that I can ever remember in the history of Auburn Athletics.

No argument here. If you're looking for a guy to defend Chizik, I'm not him. I'd be open to almost any discussion about who our next HC should be. I just think AU is better than Petrino, just one humble Class of 2001 ALUM's opinion.

My argument is that Auburn DESERVES better. Hard for me to believe the misguided perspectives Ive read in this thread. From a displayed willingness to throw Auburn under the bus as cheaters, to calling me a Pollyanna, to suggesting that Im a hypocrite etc etc. The dysfunction in the Auburn fanbase is worse than ive ever seen it.

I love how the righteously indignant constantly complain about "the dysfunction in the Auburn family" because Auburn fans are sick of hiring good men who are mediocre coaches. Talk about doing the same things over and over. If you think Petrino would screw us over then this weekend ask yourself if Saban left for another job tomorrow, would Alabama have been better off not hiring him? Do you think Razorback fans wish they had never hired him? I'd wager they greatly enjoyed the sugar bowl and being ranked 3 in the bcs.

This entire discussion essentially comes down to one question: do you want to hire a great coach or a great man who might be a good coach? Personally, I'm sick of hiring good men (that's basically means someone who has never had a public scandal) over someone who will win football games.

Theres no righteous indignation here just thoughtful reflection about a University I love. Winning football games is nice but you're sounding more and more like the bamr fanbase that is a caricature of winning at any and all cost. You dont like my arguments, thats no skin off my nose. All you want is to win football games. I think you might need to realize that life does not revolve around football. I fully understand its importance to Auburn University but am not willing to compromise on how I feel about BP. You are. Good for you. I doubt seriously he'll be Auburns' next coach so I guess you're going top be heart broken about that.

Winning football games is nice? Seriously? You obviously spend a lot of time on Auburn football message boards and you say winning is nice? Let me know how nice you feel after we lose by 50 Saturday. I'll feel awful, I hate losing.

I am acting like a typical bammer fan, I heartily admit it. They have what I desperately want, which is a perenial championship team. They are about to win their 3rd title in 4 years while we go 0fer the sec. I really don't believe that's a coincidence. There comes a time when we need to stop haughtily looking down our nose at them and try to learn something from them. They are obviously doing something right.

And you are also right when you say I will be heart broken if/when Auburn doesn't hire Petrino. I have never seen a coach with a better prepared football team. Mallett gets hurt, oh well the backup will throw for 400. Cadillac and Ronnie Brown are hurt, oh well Tre Smith will go for 150. So yeah, I will be heart broken if we don't hire that coach, just like I was when we hired chizik. Sadly, it's exactly what I have come to expect from Auburn University.

I can't be the only one that wouldn't be upset with d) none of the above.

Im with ya. While I may prefer one of the names that is thrown out often, I would not be upset with d) given it is a good hire. I am just ready to know that this disaster will soon be over. My concern is that it will be pulled out over the next month or more, after we whiff on any good hire and wind up with an inexperienced coach again. We need someone to stand up the day after the IB and say we will be back on top and explain how we are going to get there. We need someone to rally around at this point, not more weeks of endless banter, hoping everything turns out ok.

I truely hope it works out well. My sunshine pump is just broken until we get some good news.

Just thought I'd post this separately from the Petrino hiring thread. Per usual, there are two sides to every story.

Bobby Petrino's agent fires back at Atlanta Falcons

Friday, December 14, 2007

Russ Campbell has watched Bobby Petrino take shot after shot since leaving the Atlanta Falcons for Arkansas.

On Thursday, Campbell, who represents Petrino, fired back.

"Bobby Petrino was blindsided," Campbell told me in a 30-minute phone conversation. "I was blindsided. Arkansas was blindsided."

How so? Campbell said from the time they hired Petrino last January and signed him to a contract without a buyout, the Falcons assured the coach of something. They would not stand in his way should he decide to return to the college game.

Campbell said Falcons owner Arthur Blank reiterated that pledge to Petrino "two or three weeks ago."

Atlanta's attitude changed Monday, Campbell said, "and it wasn't a subtle change. They said, if you leave, we've got to fight you."

Last week, Campbell said, Arkansas called him to express serious interest in Petrino and he told Falcons General Manager Rich McKay that Petrino wanted to talk to Arkansas.

On Sunday, Campbell said, he told McKay that some of Petrino's issues with the Falcons were "irreparable."

"I told him," Campbell said, "you can't fix the fact that he's miserable in the NFL and his family's miserable in Atlanta."

Petrino had other issues.

"One of the main issues," Campbell said, "was the owner's involvement in the football program."

Blank assured Petrino a year ago that he would stay out of the way if that's what the coach wanted, Campbell said, but "he's in it up to his elbows."

One meddlesome example: After a pregame team prayer, Blank pulled Petrino aside and strongly objected to the prayer's wording.

"Think about this," Campbell said. "How bad do the issues have to be to make a man walk away from $10 million and subject himself to the criticism he knew would follow?"

That number's the difference between Petrino's Atlanta contract and his five-year, $14.25-million Arkansas deal. It includes a $2.85 million buyout and a clause prohibiting him from leaving for another SEC West school.

Campbell said Petrino - after a root canal - went into Monday's meeting with Blank and McKay thinking they would let him talk to Arkansas.

"His absolute desire on Monday was to finish the season in Atlanta," Campbell said, "and, if offered, take the Arkansas job. He wanted to meet (with the Falcons) on Monday to strategize on how to make it happen."

Campbell said Blank and McKay told Petrino, "There's no way you can talk to Arkansas. If you do, we'll make it ugly and embarrassing."

So, Petrino felt he had no choice but to stay. Campbell called Arkansas AD Jeff Long and said, "It's over."

But after Monday night's loss to New Orleans, during an emotional late night at the Petrino house - "his wife was very, very upset," Campbell said - Petrino called his agent. The coach told him, if the Arkansas job was still available, he was willing to take the heat to take it.

On Tuesday, he did. Petrino's been under fire since.

"Criticize Bobby Petrino," Campbell said. "Fair game. But the Atlanta Falcons bear a lot of responsibility in this. The NFL isn't a virgin league. Arthur Blank fired Dan Reeves, a Hall of Fame coach, with three games left in the (2003) season. These people in these shiny glass houses need to think before they throw stones."

Kevin Scarbinsky's column appears Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Write him at kscarbinsky@bhamnews.com

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/kscarbinsky.ssf?/base/sports/119762425954590.xml&coll=2

I know it's all message board talk right now, but most other places on the net are starting to believe he could be the favorite at the moment.

If we hire a coach with a better resume/reputation than Petrino, I won't be disappointed. But if we hire a coach that has never had Petrino's success I will be upset (jimbo, Gus). I just want Auburn to hire the best coach available, that's what matters to me.

Winning football games is nice? Seriously? You obviously spend a lot of time on Auburn football message boards and you say winning is nice? Let me know how nice you feel after we lose by 50 Saturday. I'll feel awful, I hate losing.

I am acting like a typical bammer fan, I heartily admit it. They have what I desperately want, which is a perenial championship team. They are about to win their 3rd title in 4 years while we go 0fer the sec. I really don't believe that's a coincidence. There comes a time when we need to stop haughtily looking down our nose at them and try to learn something from them. They are obviously doing something right.

And you are also right when you say I will be heart broken if/when Auburn doesn't hire Petrino. I have never seen a coach with a better prepared football team. Mallett gets hurt, oh well the backup will throw for 400. Cadillac and Ronnie Brown are hurt, oh well Tre Smith will go for 150. So yeah, I will be heart broken if we don't hire that coach, just like I was when we hired chizik. Sadly, it's exactly what I have come to expect from Auburn University.

You my friend are suffering with ENVY issues. im here because Im not working at the moment. In the future do I need to check with you first to explain why Im here? Good grief. Im an Auburn alumnus and love Auburn. A little success has cut 2 ways with the Auburn fanbase and thats too bad. Of course we all want to win but to admit you've become a bamr clone, while funny on the one hand....its pretty sad on the other. You're going to be unhappy MOST of the time buddy because Auburn is never going to be a perennial NC contender. You CAN be a Bama fan though. I know several folks who went to Auburn who are Bama fans. That might be an option for you to consider!

If we hire a coach with a better resume/reputation than Petrino, I won't be disappointed. But if we hire a coach that has never had Petrino's success I will be upset (jimbo, Gus). I just want Auburn to hire the best coach available, that's what matters to me.

Exactly what success is that? Perennial 3rd place finisher in the West?

I'm with Blue Vue on this. If UAT is the measuring stick for your successes/ happiness in life, then maybe you should consider jumping ship. To me, Auburn is better than UAT, and better than Bobby Petrino and it has NOTHING to do with football....am I biased, hell yes I'm biased. I don't want the face of my program to be some goofy weirdo with a neck brace on as he lies to everyone in a press conference. Just my opinion.

If Auburn did not even have a football team, I would love Auburn just the same as I do today. Would you?

I know it's all message board talk right now, but most other places on the net are starting to believe he could be the favorite at the moment.

That's also what I've heard. I don't want to get my hopes up but if you think about the little information we have at this point it seems likely. If you remember after the ole miss or vandy game the web lit up with auburn-petrino rumors. A few weeks later Kevin Scarbinsky reported Petrino met with Auburn reps in bham. Then Petrino Sr gave the interview where he said Jr had talked to one sec school. Now as chizik's day of reckoning is drawing near Petrino fires his agent, Russ Campbell, who also represents chizik assumedly because Campbell can't discuss a job that another client has. Here's to hope.

I'm with Blue Vue on this. If UAT is the measuring stick for your successes/ happiness in life, then maybe you should consider jumping ship. To me, Auburn is better than UAT, and better than Bobby Petrino and it has NOTHING to do with football....am I biased, hell yes I'm biased. I don't want the face of my program to be some goofy weirdo with a neck brace on as he lies to everyone in a press conference. Just my opinion.

If Auburn did not even have a football team, I would love Auburn just the same as I do today. Would you?

Gosh, its nice to know that Im not completely alone on an island in this. LOL

Hardly worth a new thread. That said, I'm sure that the same guy who cheated on his wife and unethically hired his mistress- who was engaged to his coworker- was totally on the up and up when he allowed his agent to tell this story on his behalf.

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

The lies on top of lies at Arkansas is all I'm interested in. The other stuff provides a broader picture of a man who thinks of himself over everyone else. I guess he's the typical modern day man. lol

He's also a lying scumbag. "IF" he were to come here he'd have to win immediately to get over this. I don't want the man. I think we can do so much better.

Archived