Offensive Coordinator..

sevenlee36

The most likely collective head explosion which nevertheless makes sense on paper (and it's not going to happen...unfortunately) would be Chizik @ DC and Petrino @ OC. Can you imagine our recruiting?

Been there done that- Auburn would never rehire former assitant coaches- Uh wait a minute?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its more than likely that Herb Hand will be the new OC. He and Gus were co OCs at Tulsa. Gus has given Hand a ton of credit for teaching him running game concepts he didn't know. When Grimes was flirting with Texas a couple years ago it was rumored that Hand who is a line coach would be the odds on favorite to replace Grimes. He is at Vandy as line coach currently and was one of the only coaches from the prior staff kept by Franklin when he came in. He could do the game planning and Gus could call the plays. Makes sense. Once again, a solid hire, with Hand getting the official OC/OL tag and a good sized bump in salary. Might have to wait until Vandy's bowl game is over though.

I think he'll do what Nick Saban did. It's obvious that that Saban runs the defense

Smart runs the defense. Does no one remember Saban chewing out Smart on the Lutzenkirchen TD in 2010? Why would he get so mad if its just him calling the plays? Watch them play defense...the players meet with Smart.

I think he'll do what Nick Saban did. It's obvious that that Saban runs the defense

Smart runs the defense. Does no one remember Saban chewing out Smart on the Lutzenkirchen TD in 2010? Why would he get so mad if its just him calling the plays? Watch them play defense...the players meet with Smart.

Why must you keep trying to make people be observant and logical?

If Lashlee becomes head coach at Arkansas State, I think it'll be Casey Woods.

It was announced last night that Gus is released from his responsibilites at Arky State and wont coach the bowl game. They also said that Arky St will have DC John Thompson be the interim head coach for the bowl game. My guess is there is probably a better chance now that Lashlee would come with Gus to Auburn as OC.

link: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/gus_malzahn_wont_coach_arkansa.html

The Morris to AU and Morris to ArkSt suggestions are a bit baffling to me.

Morris was a 'Wide Net' 'what if' consideration on the basis that Malzahn might not come to AU. He was just an unlikely option. I understand his buyout is well over $6million dollars. AU has money, but they are not fools. No way would they drop that kind of money on an OC like that. He is a Malzahn protege.. Malzahn is the HC.... that's it. Why on earth would AU pay $6.5million for an OC's buyout when Malzahn will be pulling the strings anyway?

Also, Gus made south of $1million last year at ArkSt. Why would Morris leave to coach there when he is making $1.3 now? The kid just got consideration as the HC at Auburn. He'll aim higher.

Wonder if he can be the OC and hire another coach that basically just recruits all the time in unison with the other recruiters lol

So if Lashee would become HC at Ark State....why would they name Thompson, their DC, as interim?

I think this question answers itself, no?

I just read on another site that Lashlee has taken Malzahn's offer to become our OC/QB coach.

Probably good for CGM to have a trusted Offensive mind with him at AU. This kid, I heard is in his late 20's. Holy cow. He has a seriously good job as OC at AU if he is this young. I know he was a GA or something like that at AU when CGM was here before. I would love to hear from people that have seen him call plays at Sanford to see how they feel about him.

Lashlee's youth as OC will make him a good recruiter, but in all actuality, he'll only help Malzahn out with the offense. It will still be a good hire though because I trust Malzahn with the offense, and Rhett is someone he can definitely trust with that position.

I just read on another site that Lashlee has taken Malzahn's offer to become our OC/QB coach.

This would be great. Gus is the defacto OC anyway, we shouldn't have to spend a lot of money (relatively) on Lashlee. Lets spend money on the coaches on D.

wde

Hey just curious: what do u guys think is the big difference between, say, being an OC for a guy like Chizik (I.e ex-DC) and a guy like malzahn who will more than likely be calling the plays? And do u think that weighs into the candidates decision when they are offered the job? For instance, a lot of ppl question how much credit Kirby smart is due for the success of Bamas D. Thoughts?

Gus will be calling plays but lashlee will be in the box to give gus a different angle of the field. ...lashlee will know exactly what gus is looking for

Gus will be calling plays but lashlee we be in the box gus gus a different angle of the field. ...lashlee will know exactly what gus is looking for

+1

Archived