2013 4* JUCO DT Lavon Hooks (Ole Miss signee)

ellitor

It's the sad truth we try not to take the thugs and the kids who can't make grades. Then they go to other schools and out play us *coughalabamacough*

Just depends on your priorities

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 things. 1. Sani-Freeze was on point with this whole situation. I don'y know how often he will have inside info on things but he has been on top of Hooks. He has been giving me info on it for a week now on this and all of it was correct...and 2. I am completely baffled how Auburn denies a kid the SEC has OKed. That boggles my mind.

I wonder if this is a result of the Jovon Robinson situation.

Absolutely not. This is not the first time this has happened. A few years back we couldn't admit a kid who then went to Tennessee. A couple years before that we couldn't admit a kid that went to UAT. Before that, there was another one who ended up at UAT after being denied admission to Auburn.

For years, Auburn has not accepted a "D" grade as passing for transfers. Many others do, and the SEC and NCAA do. Auburn doesn't. Every now and then it bites us.

Just an FYI that player who went to Bama was Michael Myers who had a solid 8 year NFL career. I am not saying we should lower than the SEC minimum but the conference members have to be uped to our standards on this.

I won't defend Saban in much of anything but, facts are facts. While his players may act crazy once in the pros, while at Alabama they do not step out of line around him. He runs that team like a bootcamp, at least it seems that way. Once they out from under him they can go crazy, but while there, they walk the line as far as I can see.

I won't defend Saban in much of anything but, facts are facts. While his players may act crazy once in the pros, while at Alabama they do not step out of line around him. He runs that team like a bootcamp, at least it seems that way. Once they out from under him they can go crazy, but while there, they walk the line as far as I can see.

maybe at practice but not as a whole. I've never seen players disrespect children and police officers to the degree of Julio Jones and Mark Ingram. I despise that Alabama's football team continually picks my town for spring break. They're rude and they're continually bailed out of jail by Alabama and it's covered up as well. He may chew out a QB for stepping wrong on the field but he lets them run wild in everyone else

maybe at practice but not as a whole. I've never seen players disrespect children and police officers to the degree of Julio Jones and Mark Ingram. I despise that Alabama's football team continually picks my town for spring break. They're rude and they're continually bailed out of jail by Alabama and it's covered up as well. He may chew out a QB for stepping wrong on the field but he lets them run wild in everyone else

And as I understand it, he also covers for them to keep them out of trouble off the field, as well. Saban is, ahem, highly thought of by powers that be in the city of Tuscaloosa.

2 things. 1. Sani-Freeze was on point with this whole situation. I don'y know how often he will have inside info on things but he has been on top of Hooks. He has been giving me info on it for a week now on this and all of it was correct...and 2. I am completely baffled how Auburn denies a kid the SEC has OKed. That boggles my mind.

Luke Cothran says "Hi."

It is interesting that on a day that Auburn is ranked as one of the best schools in the country that they could not get a juco guy in. There are many top tier programs that do not recruit many juco guys because they will never get through admissions, the price we pay to be a part of a great University. Unfortunate that we will not see him on the field, but the first part is doing what is necessary to get into the school.

Yes. Thank you. It is a school with a football team. Not a football team with a school.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. I am just saying whatever the standards are for the SEC it should be that way across the board for all SEC schools.

I believe some are saying otherwise. Quite a few in this thread have posted that standards should be altered to admit non-qualifying students who can really help the team. As far as the SEC criteria we can respectfully disagree. The SEC is a sports union whose function is money, money money. That's fine. IMO putting academic qualifications in their hands is a poor idea. Remember the standard set for that athlete we really need will be applied across the board for all students.

I've always figured AU to be a cut above the other state universities in the SEC and I'm proud that AU tries to take the high road on academics and character issues. AU turns away thousands of applicants every year and frankly, I hate to see a lot of academic concessions for athletes while better qualified students do not get admitted. It seems that AU tries to find the right balance.

As for Ole Miss, this is not the first time they have ended up with a player who had AU connections but could not get admitted. Each school has to (and should) set its own admission standards and in my view, the SEC standard is only the minimum level and Auburn must do what it thinks is right for the school overall.

I wish Hooks good luck at Ole Miss and am sorry that he had not gotten his academic work squared away before having to make his decision.

See, Auburn's admissions rule about not accepting "D" grades has nothing to do with athletics. It's a long-standing university rule that is applied to all students. We may only notice it when a transfer student-athlete that is denied admission to AU gets into another SEC school, but that rule applies to everybody that wants to transfer into AU.

We cannot expect the rest of the SEC and NCAA to conform to our standards just because every few years a prospective student-athlete gets bit by this rule. If you think AU should lower its standards, take it up with the University President. I for one think there are enough concessions made to athletes already. If you wanna' play here, don't bring a "D" with you.

See, Auburn's admissions rule about not accepting "D" grades has nothing to do with athletics. It's a long-standing university rule that is applied to all students. We may only notice it when a transfer student-athlete that is denied admission to AU gets into another SEC school, but that rule applies to everybody that wants to transfer into AU.

We cannot expect the rest of the SEC and NCAA to conform to our standards just because every few years a prospective student-athlete gets bit by this rule. If you think AU should lower its standards, take it up with the University President. I for one think there are enough concessions made to athletes already. If you wanna' play here, don't bring a "D" with you.

Amen.

You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, like your pretty boy over there, Brian, why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair

You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair, like your pretty boy over there, Brian, why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair

Love the Office Space quote....very funny movie

I wonder if this is a result of the Jovon Robinson situation.

Very possible

I had wondered the same thing, about the admissions dept. possibly getting really strict as fallout from the Robinson situation.

The odd thing is that I believe Hooks could have taken a short 10-day course to satisfy the AU admissions dept. if he really wanted to be here. For some reason he didn't do it.

BTW...Sani, I apologize for tryin to call you out on the Hooks info. Alot of people seem to have had info and sources on here that didn't pan out. War Eagle brother.

BTW...Sani, I apologize for tryin to call you out on the Hooks info. Alot of people seem to have had info and sources on here that didn't pan out. War Eagle brother.

No worries man, it is the Internet after all... War eagle.

I posted last week that Hooks was coming to AU, because he was planning to sign with us at that time. Then I had to backtrack when things got complicated and he "changed his mind" or whatever actually happened.

No worries man, it is the Internet after all... War eagle.

I posted last week that Hooks was coming to AU, because he was planning to sign with us at that time. Then I had to backtrack when things got complicated and he "changed his mind" or whatever actually happened.

Actually you were right, Hooks did choose Auburn.

Can't understand why AU people are upset over an al.com headline. :dunno:

What difference does it make to anyone but the bammers....and why would you expect that al.com would make any effort to get the story correct?

I mean, you click on "all Auburn" at the top of the al.com sports page and then find that half the pieces in that category are about Bama or someone else.

It's al.com for gosh sake ! ! ! !

What difference does it make to anyone but the bammers....and why would you expect that al.com would make any effort to get the story correct?

I mean, you click on "all Auburn" at the top of the al.com sports page and then find that half the pieces in that category are about Bama or someone else.

What specifically are you talking about 64?

What specifically are you talking about 64?

Earlier posts complaining about the headline on all.com about Hooks selecting Ole Miss.....without mentioning it was his fall back selection. I should have referenced it but I thought there were enough comments that folks would pick up on it. Anyway...time to lock this one anyway and move on to something else.

WE

Archived