2013 4* JUCO DT Lavon Hooks (Ole Miss signee)

ellitor

Let me preface this by saying I have no inside information about Hooks whatsoever. Everything I know about his recruitment, I learned in this thread.

That having been said, I'm beginning to get the feeling that he's going to be a Tiger before it's over. Just seems like he was sold on Ole Miss until Auburn started pushing, then he decided to visit Auburn but got some negative recruiting and changed his mind, but was swayed back to consideration with the phone campaign...and at this point, Auburn has to feel pretty good to him. He grew up an Auburn fan, and it doesn't take much to look up Ole Miss' record in the SECCG (0-0, as in they've never even sniffed a division title, much less a conference championship). Maybe they're building something legit in Oxford. But then again, you can't forget that it's Ole Miss.

I also don't buy that Mississippi State is a legitimate contender. I think they are just the other school in his top 3 and he's not giving any clues as to his actual leanings.

I agree with your theory about AU being on of the main schools for Hooks. It really seems to be between Ole Miss & AU. Hopefully Mr. Irons training and support will sway him here.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone feels confident for different reasons about Hooks. People from Ole Miss have always felt confident and his initial decision seems likely to have favored them. Mississippi State has a lot of things that would make them confident, a great recruiter that has a good relationship with Hooks, an unofficial trip that was completely under the radar until the past few days to MSU (which would suggest a silent flip or at least a potential candidate for why he is pushing back) then also Auburn who people seem to say that his mom loves and that he is a fan of (just from what I have gathered)

To say we have anything better than a 1/3 chance is wishful thinking especially considering he has been waffling all over the place.

That 1 in 3 chance though is way better than we were say 2 days ago or 3 weeks ago though so that is a positive

Everyone feels confident for different reasons about Hooks. People from Ole Miss have always felt confident and his initial decision seems likely to have favored them. Mississippi State has a lot of things that would make them confident, a great recruiter that has a good relationship with Hooks, an unofficial trip that was completely under the radar until the past few days to MSU (which would suggest a silent flip or at least a potential candidate for why he is pushing back) then also Auburn who people seem to say that his mom loves and that he is a fan of (just from what I have gathered)

To say we have anything better than a 1/3 chance is wishful thinking especially considering he has been waffling all over the place.

That 1 in 3 chance though is way better than we were say 2 days ago or 3 weeks ago though so that is a positive

I dont know the 1st thing about putting percentages on Auburn's chances with any given recruit and this case is an interesting one. One can only conclude that the longer it takes to make his decision the more it favors Auburn simply because Auburn was the last of the 3 involved to get in on his recrutiment. If he was that solid to either of the others mentioned, it seems fairly clear, at least to me, that he would've already pulled the trigger. In the end, he may indeed end up at one of the Mississippi schools but he could also be waiting to see who Auburn hires as the D-line coach before making his final decision. If thats the case and Rocker does accept the job, you have to like Auburn's chances A LOT should all those pieces fall together just right.

Hooks just signed with Ole Miss. Time to move on to the next one.

It sounds like he wanted to go to AU but there were some other factors involved.

If we hang onto Liner, and if Nero turns out to be good, then we should still be ok at DT.

It sounds like he wanted to go to AU but there were some other factors involved.

If we hang onto Liner, and if Nero turns out to be good, then we should still be ok at DT.

How you find that out, nothing has come out about it, or are you just flapping gums?

How you find that out, nothing has come out about it, or are you just flapping gums?

Got it from a reliable source. It isn't out yet.

Got it from a reliable source. It isn't out yet. Don't be a jackass.

Hey Sani, any idea what Hoke is referencing on Rivals about this being a "complicated issue"?

Hey Sani, any idea what Hoke is referencing on Rivals about this being a "complicated issue"?

I have an idea, but I don't fully understand it myself and probably shouldn't comment. My understanding is that Lavon really wanted to come to AU. Not sure exactly why Ole Miss won out.

I have an idea, but I don't fully understand it myself and probably shouldn't comment. My understanding is that Lavon really wanted to come to AU. Not sure exactly why Ole Miss won out.

Cool, thanks for the response.

So you are saying he has actually signed with OM? That's pretty bold w/out proof Sani. Your gonna get the "link?" response. Ha!

posted three minutes ago...

Hooks+still+undecided%3B+Rebels+sign+three+players+Wednesday.png

The first day junior college football players could sign with a four-year school came and went without a commitment and signature from Northeast Mississippi Community College defensive tackle Lavon Hooks. The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Georgia native was scheduled to announce a final decision Wednesday afternoon via his Twitter account. (December 20, 2012)

posted three minutes ago...

Hooks+still+undecided%3B+Rebels+sign+three+players+Wednesday.png

The first day junior college football players could sign with a four-year school came and went without a commitment and signature from Northeast Mississippi Community College defensive tackle Lavon Hooks. The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Georgia native was scheduled to announce a final decision Wednesday afternoon via his Twitter account. (December 20, 2012)

Hooks signs with Ole Miss. Hooks wanted to sign with AU but couldn't because we would not accept an english class?

http://www.gwinnettd...-miss-football/

Braselton beat me to it- It has been reported by the Gwinnett Daily Post.

Recruiting juco players seems to be a lot messier and more complicated (and at times dirtier) than high school kids.

It will be Ole Miss. That staff has done an excellent job of recruiting they are gaining momentum for the school and are on their way up.

Welp hate to say it but I was right again. SMH

It will be Ole Miss. That staff has done an excellent job of recruiting they are gaining momentum for the school and are on their way up.

AU not accepting Hooks English class has absolutely nothing to do with the Ole Miss staff. They get him only because AU turned him down. Apparently our staff did a better job and with less time.

AU not accepting Hooks English class has absolutely nothing to do with the Ole Miss staff. They get him only because AU turned him down. Apparently our staff did a better job and with less time.

Since he's an AU fan I'd say our staff had a big advantage.

From the outside looking in, you actually seem to enjoy it. Not the first time I have seen you bring back up something negative, you said, just to pat yourself on the back.

From the outside looking in, you actually seem to enjoy it. Not the first time I have seen you bring back up something negative, you said, just to pat yourself on the back.

Well the purpose is to be realistic and state the truth not to pump sunshine into giving people false hope, like most. Yes we had a chance and so did 120 other schools but at the end of the day I knew and rational people knew that he would sign with Ole Miss. Now if the descion had been put off for a few weeks then our chances are increased.

Well the purpose is to be realistic and state the truth not to pump sunshine into giving people false hope, like most. Yes we had a chance and so did 120 other schools but at the end of the day I knew and rational people knew that he would sign with Ole Miss. Now if the descion had been put off for a few weeks then our chances are increased.

I have no problem with being "realistic". Truth be told, any rational thinking person knows no school, not even the bestest coach ever and the bestest school ever, gets every recruit they go after. I am impressed our staff made the gap up, in such a short period of time, that they did with this young man. Apparently there are circmstances that would not allow him to attend Auburn University. Whatever the situation is, I wish this young man the best of everything.

I have no problem with being "realistic". Truth be told, any rational thinking person knows no school, not even the bestest coach ever and the bestest school ever, gets every recruit they go after. I am impressed our staff made the gap up, in such a short period of time, that they did with this young man. Apparently there are circmstances that would not allow him to attend Auburn University. Whatever the situation is, I wish this young man the best of everything.

So do you believe that we hire Garner??

So do you believe that we hire Garner??

I have no idea. I have no inside sources. I don't even know if we have actually interviewed him or if he wants to come back to Auburn. I do think he would be a great hire. I also thought BVG was the best hire Coach Chiz made in his time at Auburn. That shows what I know.

If you read the article in the Gwinnett Post.. Hooks said he wanted to sigh with Auburn....his choice, but Auburn didn't accept an English class. Mississippi and Miss State accepted the class. You might of had something in common with Mr. Hooks and Ole Miss.

If you read the article in the Gwinnett Post.. Hooks said he wanted to sigh with Auburn....his choice, but Auburn didn't accept an English class. Mississippi and Miss State accepted the class. You might of had something in common with Mr. Hooks and Ole Miss.

I learned from you. I'm a finance major not a Grammer Rock connoisseur. I notice your English isn't good either.

Archived