2013 4* RB/S/ATH Corn Elder (Miami signee)

ellitor

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So his announcement is set for Feb 20. Anybody know if we are still in the running, or if we would take him if interested at this point?

According to his twitter he is down to:

Auburn (football and basketball)

Georgia Tech (football and basketball)

Purdue (basketball)

and I heard Ohio State but that wasn't listed as a finalist so I am unsure. He did cut FSU out of the race and his decision date is 2/20

Ohio state (football only)

He eliminated Ohio St. a few days ago. Everything else on 2244's post is current.

I dont get it - would he just not play football for purdue or they want him for BB only? Is football his second choice sport?

He eliminated Ohio St. a few days ago. Everything else on 2244's post is current.

Can coaches talk to him and recruit now or is it some sort of,quiet period. I would like to have him

Can coaches talk to him and recruit now or is it some sort of,quiet period. I would like to have him

Dead periods ends today. Quiet period starts which means for football face to face contact is on campus only. Coaches get 1 call per week. Recruits have unlimited calls. ...And yes to the previous post, Football is his second choice sport.

Dead periods ends today. Quiet period starts which means for football face to face contact is on campus only. Coaches get 1 call per week. Recruits have unlimited calls. ...And yes to the previous post, Football is his second choice sport.

any idea on who the team to beat is? When is he making his final choice?

He has done his homework though. He has talked to "Experts" in both sports and has been strongly advised that his ceiling in football is MUCH higher than in basketball. If he was 6'10" instead of 5'10" it might be different.

He has done his homework though. He has talked to "Experts" in both sports and has been strongly advised that his ceiling in football is MUCH higher than in basketball. If he was 6'10" instead of 5'10" it might be different.

Ceiling may be higher in football, but I hope this kid goes with his heart. I am 5'9" tall, and I loved basketball. I was good at in high school, but at that height, you have to be phenominal to make it at the D1 college level, not to even mention the NBA. There will always be exceptions (Spud Webb, Mugsey Bouges), but colleges look for point guards in the 6'1 range, shooting guards in the 6'6" range, so 5'10" is a little small. Who knows, maybe this kid has a 48" vertical and shoots like Jordan.

If Auburn is offering both sports, then I think we stay in his top group. If not, I think he'll end up somewhere that gives him that choice. Really hope he decides to sign with us, though. Kid is a beast on the football field.

Might as well let anyone who wants to play both play both. AU basketball is a joke, I would rather have it as a recruiting and training tool for football then keep pretending we are getting anywhere with the program

Thank you

Once these kids get to school, especially JJ, they will not have much time for basketball. If you go to a good bowl game you won't even get started until the middle of January. Maybe by Feb you are getting your game right. So you waltz right in and take a spot on the team with a month to go, if you make the tournament??? I don't see any of them actually trying to play both unless they get a RS year of Football. JMO

Once these kids get to school, especially JJ, they will not have much time for basketball. If you go to a good bowl game you won't even get started until the middle of January. Maybe by Feb you are getting your game right. So you waltz right in and take a spot on the team with a month to go, if you make the tournament??? I don't see any of them actually trying to play both unless they get a RS year of Football. JMO

Two sports are bout impossible now a days, even in high school, football and basketball just overlap too much. This guy is quick, he might could catch a squirrel, well may be not, only one guy can do that. Would love to see him go for football, looks like he could be a good safety

Well, seeing as how CGM said he would let JJ decide for himself if he was to play both sports while he is at AUBURN, I would guess he would do the same in regards to CE. Just a guess tho.

Georgia Tech and February 20th

As far as the two sports thing goes, Ellington at South Carolina has managed to do it pretty effectively. Game winning TD in their bowl game and one of their best basketball players. It would probably be far easier for Corn at RB to do it than JJ at QB.

Might as well let anyone who wants to play both play both. AU basketball is a joke, I would rather have it as a recruiting and training tool for football then keep pretending we are getting anywhere with the program

I wouldn't! If we aren't getting anywhere with the program (and I don't know that we are), then we need to hire a coach with the acumen to pull the program back up. We just built a new arena that, if the team ever gets good, will be absolutely ROCKING for every game, and the fact that the higher ups built it tells me they are at least somewhat willing to invest in the basketball program. I really want to see the whole athletics program doing well, but particularly those two because they are the most widely publicized college sports...

So based on this, and your info about Toby Johnson, we stand to miss out on these two? Do we have any secondary plans, or do we just hold those scholly's for next year's class? Was really looking forward to closing out with two more great additions to this already stellar class.

So based on this, and your info about Toby Johnson, we stand to miss out on these two? Do we have any secondary plans, or do we just hold those scholly's for next year's class? Was really looking forward to closing out with two more great additions to this already stellar class.

Rolling over the schollies for 2014 is the secondary plan.

I can totally see that. Seems basketball may be his main focus. Wouldn't be surprised then if he picked GA Tech (ACC Basketball) over AU (SEC basketball), even with the SEC's dominance in football. Will hate it if we miss out on him though. Seems like a good athlete.

Is there any chance of signing Taj Williams or James Hearns if they were to qualify between now and graduation day in May?

I wouldn't! If we aren't getting anywhere with the program (and I don't know that we are), then we need to hire a coach with the acumen to pull the program back up. We just built a new arena that, if the team ever gets good, will be absolutely ROCKING for every game, and the fact that the higher ups built it tells me they are at least somewhat willing to invest in the basketball program. I really want to see the whole athletics program doing well, but particularly those two because they are the most widely publicized college sports...

The Equestrian team is pretty good, and all 16 people that attended an event would argue with you! :hellyeah:

Is there any chance of signing Taj Williams or James Hearns if they were to qualify between now and graduation day in May?

Them qualifying in May is a remote possibility at best. Both have to go Summer school and Prep school at the very least. The earliest Auburn would even consider them is next January

Archived