Tim Horton to AU

DyeHardAllTheWay

Who, in this board's opinion, are the best RB and WR coaches that might be available for any reason ?

OK State wr coach cause we can pay him more

Wisconsin rb coach cause his old coach left and we can pay him.

Baylor has a good wr coach

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who, in this board's opinion, are the best RB and WR coaches that might be available for any reason ?

This guy?

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jackson_harold00.html

Baylor plays UCLA tonight should be a the best bowl matchup yet.

This guy?

http://www.baylorbea...n_harold00.html

That fella is sporting a GLORIOUS 'stache!

This guy?

http://www.baylorbea...n_harold00.html

That fella is sporting a GLORIOUS 'stache!

He looks just like the principal in this snl skit. Hope that link worked

^This^

IS there an argument about whether or not Auburn was being investigated? Is there a point to the argument or is it simply an argument for argument's sake? And for the record..what exactly did all those reporters you mentioned know about the "Cam debacle" you referred to? Seems clear to me they didn't know sqaut. had they known anything, I have to believe Cam would've been ruled ineligible to play. The point is.....it was a story perpetuated by a bunch of unknown sources. Im sorry but that does not constitute knowing anything!

The argument stemmed from me saying Tim Horton would be good for AU because he is squeaky clean. I have never heard him being pulled off recruiting trails or his name placided of potential violations by the media. He recruits outstanding young men and his recruits have a high retention rate in College. Now, the point I was making was not if Cam was guilty or not. Only the fact that they alerted the nation that there was indeed an investigation. Mind you, there was something to the story since Cecil Newton did in fact admit to asking Miss. State for money. This in fact would have made him ineligible under the NCAA guidelines. Thankful for us the NCAA did find a gray area to the rule. This led to the new "Cecil Newton Rule".

For one who reads so many news reports, you've missed an important point. Cecil Newton did NOT ask MSU for money. A "representative of MSU's athletic interests" tried to get Cecil to accept money. Big difference.

Porter also knows the landscape of Memphis recruiting. Not an easy thing to understand.'

Isn't the "landscape" of recruiting in Memphis basically just quicksand and toxic waste?

Porter also knows the landscape of Memphis recruiting. Not an easy thing to understand.'

Isn't the "landscape" of recruiting in Memphis basically just quicksand and toxic waste?

Not sure about the recruiting, but you just described Memphis quite well!!

Well, The Rendezvous' ribs are pretty dang good!

Based on Malzahn's OC and O-line hires, I think at RB or WE he will look for the best available coach that will mesh with his system, not merely the "best name out there". A great offensive coach who does well in another style of offense (pro-set, for example) won't necessarily be the best fit for Malzahn's system or coaching philosophy. I think that's part of what happened when Tuberville tried to install a spread offense his last year: the BBQ boys he kept around never bought into the spread philosophy so it never ran as intended.

Seems to me like CGM is hiring as I hoped he would: On offense, look for smoothly meshing cogs that will operate effectively in the machine he designed and wrote the book on. On defense, look for experience and brains and let them take care of that side of the ball.

Memphis recruiting has been the downfall of more than one school. If I were Gus, I wouldn't go within 100 miles of that city....no matter what HS player was interested in AU.

Based on Malzahn's OC and O-line hires, I think at RB or WE he will look for the best available coach that will mesh with his system, not merely the "best name out there". A great offensive coach who does well in another style of offense (pro-set, for example) won't necessarily be the best fit for Malzahn's system or coaching philosophy. I think that's part of what happened when Tuberville tried to install a spread offense his last year: the BBQ boys he kept around never bought into the spread philosophy so it never ran as intended.

Seems to me like CGM is hiring as I hoped he would: On offense, look for smoothly meshing cogs that will operate effectively in the machine he designed and wrote the book on. On defense, look for experience and brains and let them take care of that side of the ball.

+1. Exactly how I feel about the hires.

Well, The Rendezvous' ribs are pretty dang good!

Agreed! I get their seasoning when I go up there. It's good on just about everything. Showboat BBQ is my favorite in Memphis. Better than Corky's

+1. Exactly how I feel about the hires.

Me too on the hires. I think you are right on what appears to be Coach Malzahn's hiring strategy.

The coach @ Okie St. might be a fit due to both his experience with the level of competions and the style of offense the pokes run.

Same on the TT and Baylor coaches.

Runningbacks dont need any sort of "special" scheme-specific coaching. To be completely honest, it is the most overrated coaching position in the game. Runningback is the most natural-talent dependent skill position in the game: you either have it or you dont. No amount of "coaching" is going to turn a subpar athlete into an elite runningback. In the grand-scheme of things, hiring Pro-style vs. Spread for this position is largely meaningless.

On the other hand it makes sense to target a Receivers coach who has had success in spread-based offenses, but again a top-level coach from a Pro-style background wouldn't have problems adapting to the system if they bought into it (which naturally would be the case if we did hypothetically hire someone with little to no Spread experience).

IS there an argument about whether or not Auburn was being investigated? Is there a point to the argument or is it simply an argument for argument's sake? And for the record..what exactly did all those reporters you mentioned know about the "Cam debacle" you referred to? Seems clear to me they didn't know sqaut. had they known anything, I have to believe Cam would've been ruled ineligible to play. The point is.....it was a story perpetuated by a bunch of unknown sources. Im sorry but that does not constitute knowing anything!

The argument stemmed from me saying Tim Horton would be good for AU because he is squeaky clean. I have never heard him being pulled off recruiting trails or his name placided of potential violations by the media. He recruits outstanding young men and his recruits have a high retention rate in College. Now, the point I was making was not if Cam was guilty or not. Only the fact that they alerted the nation that there was indeed an investigation. Mind you, there was something to the story since Cecil Newton did in fact admit to asking Miss. State for money. This in fact would have made him ineligible under the NCAA guidelines. Thankful for us the NCAA did find a gray area to the rule. This led to the new "Cecil Newton Rule".

For one who reads so many news reports, you've missed an important point. Cecil Newton did NOT ask MSU for money. A "representative of MSU's athletic interests" tried to get Cecil to accept money. Big difference.

Haha ok bud. NCAA says different...

http://www.ncaa.org/...y of Cam Newton

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/July/Amateurism+Cabinet+seeks+expanded+definition+of+agents

Where did you get info suggesting that Cecil asked MSU for money? Thats a fabricated myth and simply not what the NCAA found or even imnplied in their findings.

According to facts of the case agreed upon by Auburn University and the NCAA enforcement staff, the student-athlete’s father and an owner of a scouting service worked together to actively market the student-athlete as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton’s commitment to attend college and play football. NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/July/Amateurism+Cabinet+seeks+expanded+definition+of+agents

So why would the NCAA produce a rule called the "Cecil Newton" rule? I am done arguing about this.

I also believe that we need to target some youth with the remaining coaching openings. We've hired some really old assistants...ideally you want balance because at the end of the day you are talking about 18-22 year old kids that you are recruiting and coaching. Balance gives you coaches that can relate to players as well as coaches that demand respect because of their experience/age.

For Tight Ends I'd personally target Chip Long at Arizona State. He is an Alabama native (from Birmingham) and was a star player at UNA. At only 29 years old he has already rose through the coaching ranks. having started as a GA under the Petrino bros. He coached TE's at Illinois and was also responsible for coaching Jay Prosch. At only 29 years old he was assigned as the Recruiting Coordinator at ASU (Larry Porter is on that same staff). HB/TE Chris Coyle led ASU in receptions and yards this past season. Last but not least he came from Mark Hudspeth's system at UNA...a hurry-up/no-huddle system that is similar to and inspired by Malzahn's offense. It makes absolutely too much sense for me. Young, up-and-coming coach from the state of Alabama who is a good recruiter and who knows the offense because he not only played in it, but excelled.

I have absolutely zero inside info, but from all of the message boards I've read I bet we'll start seeing movement after Dec 29 (Arizona St.'s bowl game). It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gus is targeting some of their offensive coaches.

I also believe that we need to target some youth with the remaining coaching openings. We've hired some really old assistants...ideally you want balance because at the end of the day you are talking about 18-22 year old kids that you are recruiting and coaching. Balance gives you coaches that can relate to players as well as coaches that demand respect because of their experience/age.

For Tight Ends I'd personally target Chip Long at Arizona State. He is an Alabama native (from Birmingham) and was a star player at UNA. At only 29 years old he has already rose through the coaching ranks. having started as a GA under the Petrino bros. He coached TE's at Illinois and was also responsible for coaching Jay Prosch. At only 29 years old he was assigned as the Recruiting Coordinator at ASU (Larry Porter is on that same staff). HB/TE Chris Coyle led ASU in receptions and yards this past season. Last but not least he came from Mark Hudspeth's system at UNA...a hurry-up/no-huddle system that is similar to and inspired by Malzahn's offense. It makes absolutely too much sense for me. Young, up-and-coming coach from the state of Alabama who is a good recruiter and who knows the offense because he not only played in it, but excelled.

Sounds like a good candidate. I agree with you about adding some youth to the staff.

Where did you get info suggesting that Cecil asked MSU for money? Thats a fabricated myth and simply not what the NCAA found or even imnplied in their findings.

According to facts of the case agreed upon by Auburn University and the NCAA enforcement staff, the student-athlete’s father and an owner of a scouting service worked together to actively market the student-athlete as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton’s commitment to attend college and play football. NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.

http://www.ncaa.org/...ition of agents

So why would the NCAA produce a rule called the "Cecil Newton" rule? I am done arguing about this.

If he had been found guilty of asking for money, his son would've been ruled ineligible. All they found was that he was involved in a conversation in which a proposition was offerred. He listened to it but never followed up on it. You seem awfully entangled in this as if you're emotionally invested in being right about it. I dont get it. The NCAA did nothing because there is no rule against listening to a propostion. Interestingly enough, the MSU booster who made the proposition was permanently disassociated from their program. Meanwhile, Cam played because in reality neither he nor his father broke any rules. So yeah, they passed a new rule..so what?

I wouldn't be surprised if Gus targeted youthful coaches who are excellent recruiters also. While there are no "technique" differences in coaching running backs in spread or pro offenses, Gus wants everything running full speed during practice. He will need coaches who are enthusiastic about doing this sort of practice, that can keep the intensity up and understand the need for speed.

http://www.ncaa.org/...ition of agents

If he had been found guilty of asking for money, his son would've been ruled ineligible. All they found was that he was involved in a conversation in which a proposition was offerred. He listened to it but never followed up on it. You seem awfully entangled in this as if you're emotionally invested in being right about it. I dont get it. The NCAA did nothing because there is no rule against listening to a propostion. Interestingly enough, the MSU booster who made the proposition was permanently disassociated from their program. Meanwhile, Cam played because in reality neither he nor his father broke any rules. So yeah, they passed a new rule..so what?

You wanted to know where i got my info and I gave it to you from the mouth of the NCAA. It says all you need to know on why he was allowed to play and why the rule was placed.

Archived