One issue seems to be we have athletes and not shooters

gr82b4au

Other than the fact that we can't play defense, we do not have any shooters on the team. Who is the scoring guard like pohlman? Having kids that can dunk is great but where are the kids that can but the ball in the net from the ft line and the 3 pt line?

Jordan Price was renowned as a shooter. At one point early in the season he hit (i think) 11 three-pointers in a row. Frankie Sullivan has been a very good shooter for three previous years. What's wrong with them now I can't imagine.

If you look at the statistics when the players sign with AU, they all look like shooters ....but JMO, they have racked up the stats against smaller, slower kids in HS and just never really learned to shoot away from the hoop or when defended by guys with equal athletic ability.

As someone posted earlier, we ooh and aaah over Shaq and his slams in HS video and even his slams while at AU....but they are still just two points and it only happens a couple times a game.

FS is mostly a scorer and has never been a really dead-eye shooter. That has worked out if other guys can score but the team this season just can't afford his 25-35% shooting accuracy. We have no other consisent scorer and can't get enough offensive rebounds to make up for the missed shots.

Price had a hot spell early but it ended when he got hurt....otherwise, nobody can be counted on consistently.

I'm not sure who can be counted on next season to take the slack when FS and Chubb are gone.

If you look at the statistics when the players sign with AU, they all look like shooters ....but JMO, they have racked up the stats against smaller, slower kids in HS and just never really learned to shoot away from the hoop or when defended by guys with equal athletic ability.

As someone posted earlier, we ooh and aaah over Shaq and his slams in HS video and even his slams while at AU....but they are still just two points and it only happens a couple times a game.

FS is mostly a scorer and has never been a really dead-eye shooter. That has worked out if other guys can score but the team this season just can't afford his 25-35% shooting accuracy. We have no other consisent scorer and can't get enough offensive rebounds to make up for the missed shots.

Price had a hot spell early but it ended when he got hurt....otherwise, nobody can be counted on consistently.

I'm not sure who can be counted on next season to take the slack when FS and Chubb are gone.

Bingo. Nobody can put the ball in the basket. Drive the lane, kickout to a player who is coming off the screen to shoot a 3... who will that be? Price? And you have to have more than 1 person who can put the ball in the basket. If we are not big enough to play with the big teams, which means in many games we will be out-rebounded (is that a word). That means we MUST be more precise in shooting the ball. We must find players that can shoot. We can't run small ball with no chance of rebounds while not hitting shots or playing defense. We will get blown out.

I was listening to the radio the other day and a guy made a good point re: AU bball. Having one scoring threat on this team would work wonders, be it inside or outside. An outside scoring threat would draw the D out, which would create better looks for the inside guys (not sure Chubb could hit them, but they'd be open looks nonetheless) Also, would eliminate the crowded lane that we see now, and allow a slasher like Denson to get to the hoop and try to create something. The caller mentioned the Lithuanian signee and said he has a pretty nice mid-range jumper.....if he and Shamsid Deen can develop into scoring threats...who knows what could happen.

Then again, aw whothehell am I kidding....once again singing that same ol' song "Just wait til next year". AU bball is BAD.....super BAD

If you look at the SEC stats, team by team you will see that AU deserves to be in last place.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/conferences/statistics/_/id/23/sec-conference

Just look around at the individual or team stats.....AU is a disaster and no wonder the team is doing so poorly.

I would never have believed that kids could get a 3* rating in HS.....and come to college knowing so little about how to shoot a basketball...FG or FTs

Everyone seems to be looking for the superior athlete but the other night I saw a skinny little white guard at Xavier hitting 3s and was all over the floor playing defense.....and I bet the kid didn't get any offers from a major school because he didn't look "athletic". But the kid can shoot. Or St. Mary's with three guys hitting over 40% on their 3s.

We need some shooters.

We will definitely not miss Chubb....And we will not miss Frankie either based on this season. K.T. Harrell is better than Sullivan, and a heavier ADT next year will be better than Chubb. Also, Delph can not be worse either...nobody can be really.

Archived