Is our athletic department "too religious"?

DyeHardAllTheWay

Ok stealthy, you asked for it..By your post YOU BLASTED YOUR CHOICE IN ALL OUR EARS...and you want to tell me to keep my Christian faith private.? Step away from your bigotry and see what you yourself are doing....Like i said...This subject has no place in this sports forum.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok stealthy, you asked for it..By your post YOU BLASTED YOUR CHOICE IN ALL OUR EARS...and you want to tell me to keep my Christian faith private.? Step away from your bigotry and see what you yourself are doing....Like i said...This subject has no place in this sports forum.

The post starting this thread was related to sports (AU sports specifically) and was a legitimate and interesting question given how outspoken and public our AD has been in espousing his faith. Yes the topic has devolved among certain posters into the same, predictable arguments over Christianity/agnosticism/atheism/voodoo etc, but some have tried to keep this thread on topic.

wde

I thought this topic was locked? Who caved in to political pressure and opened it up again? One more time. IT DOES NOTHING GOOD FOR THIS FORUM OR SITE. It divides and creates problems that no one can possibly fix. This question has nothing to do with Auburn or Sports. It is political and belongs in the squabble section.

Actually, I missed that it was previously locked,

But ^^^^^^^this^^^^^^

Christians have and always will be mocked by people...sad but true....all we can do is continue to walk by faith and hope to share Gods gift along the way

Disagree strongly with you professor. It was put on the Auburn board, but it was an accusation no doubt about it.

What is the purpose of this thread ?

Way too many people hide behind their "faith" to justify their actions or inability to be competent.

That IMHO, is what goes on with the AD @ Auburn.

Nobody @ G'ville, Red Stick or uaT gives two rips about that .

Do the job you were hired to do and do it ethically and competently.

So now Jay Jacobs keeps his job because he claims to be a christian? and the hires are because they claimed to be christians......How awful,how full of bigotry and how UNLIKE THE AUBURN SPIRIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do the right thing....Stop this stupid thread.

240px-no-zealots-svg.png?w=600

I really don't care which religion if any one chooses.

Just keep it real, personal and private

Matthew 6:1-6

The KJV is a select group of writings chosen by a bunch more guys that generally reinforced their position of power over the masses. There's plenty more out there that tells a different story. So read what pleases you and your faith (using the collective 'you' here) but respect the choice of others . A zealot will not respect this personal and private choice is the point.

This comment about the King James Bible shows an abysmal lack of knowledge about the word of God, and is totally without any merit concerning reinforced position of power over the masses. Recommend you more background study before making such groundless remarks.

And now it's a land-grant state college. Back then, it was a private liberal-arts school. At the time they were still teaching blood-letting as proper medical treatment and women weren't allowed in.

Things change, and frankly, things get better.

I guess you opinion of better and mine must differ. I certainly don't think that the world has become a better place in the years since the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to ban prayer in schools. We now have to regularly deal with school shootings. I can't understand why someone that disagrees with a prayer can't respectfully remain silent for a few minutes even if they chose not to pray.

The SCOTUS didn't ban prayer in schools. Anyone who wants to pray is school is perfectly free to do so. What it banned is organized prayer initiated by those in a position of authority. I have already explained why this is inappropriate, although from your last sentence it is apparent you don't agree with my reasoning.

I suspect even you would get a little uncomfortable if children had to sit through just any prayer (Islam, voo-doo, witchcraft). After all, your kids could remain "respectfully silent" instead of getting down and kneeling toward mecca with the rest of their peers.

If you read my posts carefully, then you know how I feel about forced prayer. On the other hand, I find utterly rediculous that any group of people with common beliefs can't hold an organized prayer amongst themselves in a public school.

Ever hear of "see you at the flagpole"?

1) So why can't the prayer be led by a Christan teacher?

2) Why is there no longer a prayer prior to Auburn football games?

1) Because, since the teacher is in a position of leadership - or more specifically of evaluating each student, it would be inappropriate in my opinion. Being human, it's only natural that the teacher might favor fellow Christians.

I would imagine that different believers would feel they need to show up to demonstrate the same apparent empathy as the believers. It would be fare better (more fair) for each student's religious beliefs be unknown to the teacher. They aren't relevant to the teacher's job.

2) I don't know. Hopefully it's for the same reasons that are the basis of my arguments.

No kidding. ..some of these remarks are very offensive

Freedom of Speech can be offensive. Hang in there.

And now it's a land-grant state college. Back then, it was a private liberal-arts school. At the time they were still teaching blood-letting as proper medical treatment and women weren't allowed in.

Things change, and frankly, things get better.

I guess you opinion of better and mine must differ. I certainly don't think that the world has become a better place in the years since the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to ban prayer in schools. We now have to regularly deal with school shootings. I can't understand why someone that disagrees with a prayer can't respectfully remain silent for a few minutes even if they chose not to pray.

The SCOTUS didn't ban prayer in schools. Anyone who wants to pray is school is perfectly free to do so. What it banned is organized prayer initiated by those in a position of authority. I have already explained why this is inappropriate, although from your last sentence it is apparent you don't agree with my reasoning.

I suspect even you would get a little uncomfortable if children had to sit through just any prayer (Islam, voo-doo, witchcraft). After all, your kids could remain "respectfully silent" instead of getting down and kneeling toward mecca with the rest of their peers.

If you read my posts carefully, then you know how I feel about forced prayer. On the other hand, I find utterly rediculous that any group of people with common beliefs can't hold an organized prayer amongst themselves in a public school.

Ever hear of "see you at the flagpole"?

So why can't the prayer be led by a Christan teacher?

Why is there no longer a prayer prior to Auburn football games?

Because of a gross misinterpretation of the establishment clause, and the ignorance of people believing that the separation of church and state is in the constitution.

Obviously, the SCOTUS - and a good many citizens - disagree.

Freedom of Speech can be offensive. Hang in there.

Its not freedom of speech...its something I strongly believe in and stand up for...the mockery and slive comments are offensive

Freedom of speech is fine,have at it..Shed the Auburn stuff 1st please though before you drag it with you through the MUD. POLITICS forum is where the MUD BOGS are, and the PIGS WALLOW.

I thought this topic was locked? Who caved in to political pressure and opened it up again? One more time. IT DOES NOTHING GOOD FOR THIS FORUM OR SITE. It divides and creates problems that no one can possibly fix. This question has nothing to do with Auburn or Sports. It is political and belongs in the squabble section.

Well it hasn't after 22 pages.

As far as being a relevant sports topic, you might be right except there have been numerous public references to it by various people associated with Auburn sports. That makes it a topic because they apparently wanted to make it one.

The post starting this thread was related to sports (AU sports specifically) and was a legitimate and interesting question given how outspoken and public our AD has been in espousing his faith. Yes the topic has devolved among certain posters into the same, predictable arguments over Christianity/agnosticism/atheism/voodoo etc, but some have tried to keep this thread on topic.

wde

Why does that represent a devolution of the debate? Why is it off-topic?

What use is it to discuss the freedom of practicing one particular religion without addressing the freedom to practice any other?

After all, the majority will take always care of themselves. The constitution was designed to protect the minority from a dictatorial majority.

Devil, One more time..Politic page........

It has divided and it will not fix anything to discuss it here.....It has nothing to do with sports,except it is an accusation against Jay Jacobs.

Which ones?

I haven't seen anything that I feel should be considered offensive, much less "very" offensive. Just the opposite.

Which ones?

I haven't seen anything that I feel should be considered offensive, much less "very" offensive. Just the opposite.

Well to be honest many are yours

Freedom of speech is fine,have at it..Shed the Auburn stuff 1st please though before you drag it with you through the MUD. POLITICS forum is where the MUD BOGS are, and the PIGS WALLOW.

Can't very well shed the "Auburn stuff" and keep the subject, can we? :dunno:

And your description of the political forum - and characterization of those who participate on it - is rather humorous coming from someone protesting "very offensive" comments. :-\

Which ones?

Well to be honest many are yours

Can you be specific? I need to know when I offend someone.

Devil, One more time..Politic page........

I am not a moderator and can't move topics from one forum to another. But I do know that you don't have to open and read any given topic, so maybe you can deal with it by yourself.

And I am not the "Devil" I am :homer:

But if this a problem I can always change my "title".

Archived