Is our athletic department "too religious"?

DyeHardAllTheWay

"Jacobs, who peppered many of his comments with religious imagery, said he started and ended every meeting with Tuberville with a prayer, and thanked Auburn supporters for their 'prayer time.'"

"We have fans all over the US and I think it is time that they RISE UP and snatch back what satan, himself, has stolen."

No. Nothing to see here at all.

What is the source of that quotation? Ive never seen it or heard it.

The first quotation is from an al.com blog. The second is from Johnna Chizik's Facebook.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would almost bet any amount of money the "problems" that have pretty much been "cooked up" in this thread, as it relates to the AD being too religious, are not even a small hindrance much less a problem for the kids on Auburn's roster.

I agree. How many players have come out and objected to our coaches being men of God? The players on the roster right now would be laughing their heads off at the ones in this thread saying that it's a problem.

I would almost bet any amount of money the "problems" that have pretty much been "cooked up" in this thread, as it relates to the AD being too religious, are not even a small hindrance much less a problem for the kids on Auburn's roster.

I agree. How many players have come out and objected to our coaches being men of God? The players on the roster right now would be laughing their heads off at the ones in this thread saying that it's a problem.

All of them? How do you know?

If so, that would make me a little suspicious of recruiting "filters".

And WE are the conspiracy theorists? Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Much ado about nothing.

"EVERYBODY RUN!!!!! THOSE CRAZY CHRISTIANS WANT TO BOMBARD US WITH ENCOURAGEMENT, LOVE, COMPASSION, AND HOPE!!!!!!!!"

"HOW DARE THEY TRY TO MAKE SOCIETY A BETTER PLACE PREACHING MORALITY, GRACE, PEACE, AND HOPE!!!!!!"

"AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll say this. I was around A LOT of the players for quite a while and never heard ANYONE complain about this. But I'm sure it was just killing them inside.

Well setting aside the question of why they would confide in you, that would be expected regardless of how many of the players felt they were being coerced (going along so as to not make "waves").

I'll say this. I was around A LOT of the players for quite a while and never heard ANYONE complain about this. But I'm sure it was just killing them inside.

Well setting aside the question of why they would confide in you, that would be expected regardless of how many of the players felt they were being coerced (going along so as to not make "waves").

Cuckoo.....Cuckoo.....Cuckoo......Cuckoo.....

"EVERYBODY RUN!!!!! THOSE CRAZY CHRISTIANS WANT TO BOMBARD US WITH ENCOURAGEMENT, LOVE, COMPASSION, AND HOPE!!!!!!!!"

"HOW DARE THEY TRY TO MAKE SOCIETY A BETTER PLACE PREACHING MORALITY, GRACE, PEACE, AND HOPE!!!!!!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My point, since you missed it, was to point out that obtaining 100% agreement from such a large sample taken randomly would be a highly suspicious outcome. It would lead one to suspect the sample was not random.

That is a scientifically valid conclusion.

So I am not proposing that prospects are screened on the basis of their religious beliefs as much as I am suggesting the "100% assumption" is false.

Does that make sense to you?

(And "Grace" is not demonstrated by assuming everyone believes as you do, much less by coercing others to join you in worship.)

:laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/>

My point, since you missed it, was to point out that obtaining 100% agreement from such a large sample taken randomly would be a highly suspicious outcome. It would lead one to suspect the sample was not random.

So I am not proposing that prospects are screened on the basis of their religious beliefs as much as I am suggesting the "100% assumption" is false.

Sure it makes sense, but why does it matter? If everything and everybody is cool with how things are going, and only a couple of people on a message board that seem to hate that God is included in a football program actually have a problem with it, is it really an issue? What really is the point of this thread? That God is too prominent in Auburn football? If this really were a problem, there would be many lawsuits brought against AU for illegal hiring practices. To rule out an individual because he isn't a follower of Christ, would be discrimination in the eyes of the Supreme Court. When I start seeing lawsuits being brought left and right, you guys can start the panic, until then, just give this craziness a rest. Auburn football is alive and well, just enjoy it.

Sure it makes sense, but why does it matter? If everything and everybody is cool with how things are going, and only a couple of people on a message board that seem to hate that God is included in a football program actually have a problem with it, is it really an issue? What really is the point of this thread? That God is too prominent in Auburn football? If this really were a problem, there would be many lawsuits brought against AU for illegal hiring practices. To rule out an individual because he isn't a follower of Christ, would be discrimination in the eyes of the Supreme Court. When I start seeing lawsuits being brought left and right, you guys can start the panic, until then, just give this craziness a rest. Auburn football is alive and well, just enjoy it.

End of thread!!! Nice Weegs, nice.

First, as we just agreed, it is unrealistic to assume that "everything and everybody" is cool with sanctioned, secular religious activity. So bottom line, you are effectively proposing that anyone who is uncomfortable with it should either shut-up and go along or file a lawsuit.

Well, at least that is a realistic proposition, so congratulations for that.

First, as we just agreed, it is unrealistic to assume that "everything and everybody" is cool with sanctioned, secular religious activity. So bottom line, you are effectively proposing that anyone who is uncomfortable with it should either shut-up and go along or file a lawsuit.

First, I didn't agree with you. Saying that something makes sense and agreeing with it are two different things.

So what you are saying is that there is a large group of men on the AU football team, who, by the way, are old enough to make their own decisions, that are being coerced and forced to comply with a Admin led Christian agenda, or face some form of banishment or humiliation?

The majority must worry about the one who MAYBE has an issue. That is also how they disarm you, by attempting to get you to agree with them on any item. Kids these days are a'lot of things, but quiet and restrained are not among them. If it were a problem there would be more than one person making the argument.

It's not "Cukoo" to think that kids that age would "just shut up and go along with the crowd" to avoid the inevitable peer pressure and possible consequences of being "different". I've seen that myself, back in the day.

Quote: ""HOW DARE THEY TRY TO MAKE SOCIETY A BETTER PLACE PREACHING MORALITY, GRACE, PEACE, AND HOPE!!!!!!" Some Christians do that, some don't. In any case Christians don't have a monolopy on that sort of thing, plenty of other groups, both non-christian religious and secular groups do the same.

First, I didn't agree with you. Saying that something makes sense and agreeing with it are two different things.

So what you are saying is that there is a large group of men on the AU football team, who, by the way, are old enough to make their own decisions, that are being coerced and forced to comply with a Admin led Christian agenda, or face some form of banishment or humiliation?

Well, I suppose I should have anticipated you wouldn't agree with something that made sense.

And no, I haven't suggested for sure, there were any individuals on the team that disagreed with systemic organized worship. I have suggested the probability there are some (at least if religion is not being used as one of criteria for offering scholarships).

Otherwise, my comments are offered for principled or hypothetical purposes.

I don't want to get too deep into this thread, but I will throw this out there. Auburn University and it's football program have had a Christian lean since I first visited the campus in 1990... probably long before that. Had that not been the case, there is a good possibility that I would not have gone there and an even bigger chance that I would have never followed football. Is it because I'm some sort of hardcore Bible thumper? No.. not in the least. I don't even attend church, currently, and I don't talk about my faith much at all, unless asked. Why it mattered to me is that I knew, growing up around it, that Christianity, at it's core, is focused on caring about others, family, and morality. That was important to me, especially since every other university I visited seemed to be focused on love of self, sex, drugs, and dog-eat-dog survival. This also rolled over into football, where the majority of fans weren't screaming obscenities at the other team, but were, instead, being polite to visiting fans and cheering for the other team.

So, the long and short of it is, if Auburn were not "religious" they would be short at least one fan/student, and if there is one, there are probably more. I truly believe that the faith base of the leadership at Auburn is one of the main things that separates us from the other schools in the SEC. If it weren't there, I thing the make-up of the student body and alumni would be different and we'd probably just be much more like the school on the west side of the state.

I think something we need to do all over the world is remind ourselves that, if we don't believe in something, it doesn't mean we have to be against it. As long as no one is hurting anyone else (no, offending isn't hurting... nor is "hurting their feelings), then who cares if we aren't all in agreement. Just participate in what you want and don't participate in the other things... and love the fact that Auburn is a place that cares about family and doing the right thing the right way.

The majority must worry about the one who MAYBE has an issue. That is also how they disarm you, by attempting to get you to agree with them on any item.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but if it's what I think it is, it is ironic that you would accuse the minority of attempting to get the majority to agree with them when it is the majority who is clearly presuming that of the minority.

Kids these days are a'lot of things, but quiet and restrained are not among them. If it were a problem there would be more than one person making the argument.

First I wasn't aware that someone on the team was making the argument.

More importantly, if you assume that just one kid (ore even a couple) would "make waves" over this, then you clearly do not understand the concept of social coercion.

I don't want to get too deep into this thread, but I will throw this out there. Auburn University and it's football program have had a Christian lean since I first visited the campus in 1990... probably long before that. Had that not been the case, there is a good possibility that I would not have gone there and an even bigger chance that I would have never followed football. Is it because I'm some sort of hardcore Bible thumper? No.. not in the least. I don't even attend church, currently, and I don't talk about my faith much at all, unless asked. Why it mattered to me is that I knew, growing up around it, that Christianity, at it's core, is focused on caring about others, family, and morality. That was important to me, especially since every other university I visited seemed to be focused on love of self, sex, drugs, and dog-eat-dog survival. This also rolled over into football, where the majority of fans weren't screaming obscenities at the other team, but were, instead, being polite to visiting fans and cheering for the other team.

So, the long and short of it is, if Auburn were not "religious" they would be short at least one fan/student, and if there is one, there are probably more. I truly believe that the faith base of the leadership at Auburn is one of the main things that separates us from the other schools in the SEC. If it weren't there, I thing the make-up of the student body and alumni would be different and we'd probably just be much more like the school on the west side of the state.

I think something we need to do all over the world is remind ourselves that, if we don't believe in something, it doesn't mean we have to be against it. As long as no one is hurting anyone else (no, offending isn't hurting... nor is "hurting their feelings), then who cares if we aren't all in agreement. Just participate in what you want and don't participate in the other things... and love the fact that Auburn is a place that cares about family and doing the right thing the right way.

Yeah, you are undoubtedly correct in that a little xenophobia can be a good thing on a football team or even a University.

At least if it's directed externally instead of internally.

Yeah, you are undoubtedly correct in that a little xenophobia can be a good thing on a football team or even a University.

I'm not sure where you get xenophobia from anything I said, but okay.....

It's not "Cukoo" to think that kids that age would "just shut up and go along with the crowd" to avoid the inevitable peer pressure and possible consequences of being "different". I've seen that myself, back in the day.

Quote: ""HOW DARE THEY TRY TO MAKE SOCIETY A BETTER PLACE PREACHING MORALITY, GRACE, PEACE, AND HOPE!!!!!!" Some Christians do that, some don't. In any case Christians don't have a monolopy on that sort of thing, plenty of other groups, both non-christian religious and secular groups do the same.

I wasn't referring to the players as cuckoo. And I said nothing about Christians having the corner on the morality market. That's just who this thread is demonizing.

I'm not sure where you get xenophobia from anything I said, but okay.....

"Us" (devout and righteous) vs. "them" (secular)

It's mildly sad when fellow professing Christians are the ones to get defensive and go sarcastic. I can say that I'm pretty much surrounded by Christian friends who are not Auburn people -- quite a few have enjoyed pointing out the embarrassing moments.

"It was a God thing." (Chizik, on beating Clemson)

"God was with us." (Chizik, on beating Oregon, but quoted unfairly IMO)

"When God be blessin', the devil be a messin'." (Cam -- can't fault a player)

Opening and closing supervisory meetings in prayer at a state university. (Jacobs in his own words)

The Kristi Malzahn talk show disaster -- which by all accounts kept Gus from getting the UNC job

Johnna Chizik's FB lunacy

Now, notice, only three of those instances directly involve actual employees. And to his credit, Chizik said, ""One of the things we don't do, we don't push anything on our young men when it comes to the message." It's not something I'm losing sleep over.

I'm happy to have Christian people doing this or that. I'm not happy when it's a source of embarrassment to the University or to other Christians. (I called that cheesiness in an earlier post.) I'm mildly concerned that Jacobs may have a preference for avowedly Christian job candidates, but I'm not willing to raise that as an accusation.

I wasn't referring to the players as cuckoo. And I said nothing about Christians having the corner on the morality market. That's just who this thread is demonizing.

This thread is "demonizing" Christians?

Boy, to be such a majority you sure are quick to cop a persecuted attitude.

Extremely well said. Heck of a post. :bow:

It's mildly sad when fellow professing Christians are the ones to get defensive and go sarcastic. I can say that I'm pretty much surrounded by Christian friends who are not Auburn people -- quite a few have enjoyed pointing out the embarrassing moments.

"It was a God thing." (Chizik, on beating Clemson)

"God was with us." (Chizik, on beating Oregon)

"When God be blessin', the devil be a messin'." (Cam -- can't fault a player)

Opening and closing supervisory meetings in prayer at a state university. (Jacobs in his own words)

The Kristi Malzahn talk show disaster -- which by all accounts kept Gus from getting the UNC job

Johnna Chizik's FB lunacy

Now, notice, only three of those instances directly involve actual employees. And to his credit, Chizik said, ""One of the things we don't do, we don't push anything on our young men when it comes to the message." It's not something I'm losing sleep over.

I'm happy to have Christian people doing this or that. I'm not happy when it's a source of embarrassment to the University or to other Christians. (I called that cheesiness in an earlier post.) I'm mildly concerned that Jacobs may have a preference for avowedly Christian job candidates, but I'm not willing to raise that as an accusation.

That still makes me cringe.

Next thing you know we'll be accused of paying-off God. ;D

I agree, there's nothing wrong with a player expressing his faith, even though it's "tacky" to suggest God was on his side instead of his opponents (as many such expressions imply). But you really don't want your coach to be implying such things.

Archived