Computer Question

MDM4AU

I have an HP Pavillion that is about 5 years old. We replaced it with a better one (DELL) just two years ago. The HP is still in good shape, just not as nice as the one I have now.

My mother's computer just died on her and there is no real reason for her to go buy a new computer as little as she uses it. I am looking at giving the HP to her once I get everything off of it.

Here is my question...

Is there a way to remove everything off of it without getting rid of the Windows and Microsoft Office on it? What is the most efficient way to do this? Would it just be best to wipe it all out and reload Windows and Office? The only problem with that is I would spend as much money on WINDOWS and Office as I would a whole new computer, wouldn't I?

HP is usually good about putting in a "restore" disk with the computer. Running this disk will automatically load the computer into the state that it was coming from the factory. If it had Office on it then, it would be back on there. Of course, if you have MS Office on your new machine, technically it would load on your old machine. Of course, that is not the legal way to do it, but I heard a rumor that it has been done before.

I agree with luke. If you have all of the data off of your computer you can run the restore disk to install a clean wipe of Windows and then reinstall office from it's disks.

Note: Some HP machines do not come with restore disks and instead store their restore software on a hidden partition on the hard disk. I have had one experience with this situation and can't remember exactly how to access it Look in your papers or try goole if this is the case.

Just take a little time and go through and delete all of your personal stuff. It's not like your Mom is gonna use some of the more obscure programs anyway!!!!

Just take a little time and go through and delete all of your personal stuff. It's not like your Mom is gonna use some of the more obscure programs anyway!!!!

122972[/snapback]

That is true... :bonk:

If you want to make sure it's erased completely (the personal stuff), there used to be a program called BCWipe that overwrites deleted files 8 times to make sure it's unrecoverable. Not that Mama would know how to recover deleted files, but if she ever sold the computer, you wouldn't want a pro to get a hold of the hard drive.

Archived