2013 Fall Camp -- Practice 3 (Sun, Aug 4)

RunInRed

From Phillip Marshall...

Random thoughts after three days of preseason camp:

* I thought Gus Malzahn was intense when he was Auburn’s offensive coordinator, but he takes it to another level as head coach. He doesn’t yell. You’ll never, ever hear him curse. But you can the intensity in his eyes, in the way he moves from one position group to another.

* We all saw Malzahn’s hurryup, no-huddle offense for three seasons. I’m thinking what we see in 2013 is going to move a good bit faster than what we saw from 2009-2011.

* Anyone who saw Auburn players on the field in the spring and sees them now can clearly see the impact of strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell's offseason and summer programs.

http://www.auburntigers.com/ot/blog_phillip_marshall_marshalllaw.html

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not a sight to prosch I'm honestly trying to see if there is something I'm missing but why does he get so much love? Did I miss something last year?

From Phillip Marshall...

Random thoughts after three days of preseason camp:

* I thought Gus Malzahn was intense when he was Auburn's offensive coordinator, but he takes it to another level as head coach. He doesn't yell. You'll never, ever hear him curse. But you can the intensity in his eyes, in the way he moves from one position group to another.

* We all saw Malzahn's hurryup, no-huddle offense for three seasons. I'm thinking what we see in 2013 is going to move a good bit faster than what we saw from 2009-2011.

* Anyone who saw Auburn players on the field in the spring and sees them now can clearly see the impact of strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell's offseason and summer programs.

http://www.auburntig...arshalllaw.html

All good things to read, RIR! Thank you...26 days and counting!

It looks like they were really having a physical practice despite just being in shells. Good to see.

I'm really looking forward to Tre and CAP both excelling in this offense.

This is not a sight to prosch I'm honestly trying to see if there is something I'm missing but why does he get so much love? Did I miss something last year?

Chiz rarely used him but when he did I thought he blocked very well.

LB Kris Frost Sunday on new defense: "It's been great; we've all been flying around"

Kris Frost: "It's our time to show what we can do; we're competing. There's not one guy on that field that doesn't want to start"

TE C.J. Uzomah Sunday post-practice: "The energy and how fast we're moving is way beyond what we were expecting ... it's going well"

DB Chris Davis on practice so far: "it's been good. It's been a grind. Everybody's trying to give it their all out there"

@FootballAU

CJ Uzomah wearing colorful socks to match his Chelsea jersey

BQ3ZganCYAAP_ZP.jpg

@ITATJason

I LOVE it! A football player sporting a Chelsea jersey, the....wait for it...REAL football. (btw, the mens 4+ crew shell I've trained & raced in for a decade frequently wears socks just like that on race day to support one of our fellow rowers who is openly gay. Just saying).

Because he is a great blocker, and does it the right way. He doesn't just run up and hit someone. He understands positioning on blocks. If its a sweep, he hugs the butt of his offensive linemen, which closes off gaps that a playside or backside LB could shoot and cut the play down in the backfield. If its a run between the tackles, he understands the OLine's blocking scheme and blocks accordingly. For instance, if a run is going through 4 gap (between RG and RT), depending on the DLine alignment, the RT and TE might slip block up to LB. If prosch is set at TE, he has the ability and raw power to take over the DE, allowing RT to slip up the LB. If he's at FB he understands that his block would need to open the gap between RG and the slipping tackle. At the very least he gets a body on a body, giving the RB an option.

And this is not a slight on you BUT if you have to even ask that question then there isn't any point in telling you. It just is, embrace it, it just is.

Random roster note from @AUGoldMine ...

Counting walk-ons, there are 39 true and redshirt freshmen on today's Auburn roster.

Also, on Kris Frost ...

The linebacker said Sunday he weighs 244 pounds, up from 230 of a year ago. The 238 figure is listed on the roster.

http://www.auburntig...g_goldmine.html

Woah !! Didn't know Frost was that big. That's good to hear. We desparately need a protypical big man MLB on Defense. Hope he fills the void.

Looks too big. I hope it was just a bad camera angle but looked like some gut showing.

Too big? Seriously?

Counting walk-ons, there are 39 true and redshirt freshmen on today's Auburn roster.

Also, on Kris Frost ...

The linebacker said Sunday he weighs 244 pounds, up from 230 of a year ago. The 238 figure is listed on the roster.

Woah !! Didn't know Frost was that big. That's good to hear. We desparately need a protypical big man MLB on Defense. Hope he fills the void.

Looks too big. I hope it was just a bad camera angle but looked like some gut showing.

Too big? Seriously?

Is that a possibility? I didn't think so. He sure does seem to be still moving around well, and after Russell's summer program, it sounds like all are heading the direction we'd like them to be? :dunno:

I think mostly its his story, his dedication to his family and now his team, and the leadership that he displays both on and off of the field. If you haven't heard his story (how he started playing football/working out in middle school, how he got to play Division 1 football, why he transferred from Illinois to Auburn, etc.) I would really recommend checking that out, but be warned- it is almost guarenteed to bring a tear to your eye.

Other than that, he is a known leader on the field, a freak in the workout room (no really, he was put on college football's freak list), and a role model off of the field.

Also, on Kris Frost ...

Too big? Seriously?

Is that a possibility? I didn't think so. He sure does seem to be still moving around well, and after Russell's summer program, it sounds like all are heading the direction we'd like them to be? :dunno:/>

i haven't seen him move. Just thought 244 sounds big and looks big around the middle. If he can play at that size thats great, just making an observation.

I think mostly its his story, his dedication to his family and now his team, and the leadership that he displays both on and off of the field. If you haven't heard his story (how he started playing football/working out in middle school, how he got to play Division 1 football, why he transferred from Illinois to Auburn, etc.) I would really recommend checking that out, but be warned- it is almost guarenteed to bring a tear to your eye.

Other than that, he is a known leader on the field, a freak in the workout room (no really, he was put on college football's freak list), and a role model off of the field.

Also, if you do not give him respect, he eats your house.

Most likely, you missed the FACT that Jay was NOT utilized AT ALL last season. (I would actually talk to the television during games about this FACT)........

And this is not a slight on you BUT if you have to even ask that question then there isn't any point in telling you. It just is, embrace it, it just is.

Dudes a former all american.....that might be what ya missed...plus ad the fact he's a senior....smh

LB Kris Frost Sunday on new defense: "It's been great; we've all been flying around"

Kris Frost: "It's our time to show what we can do; we're competing. There's not one guy on that field that doesn't want to start"

TE C.J. Uzomah Sunday post-practice: "The energy and how fast we're moving is way beyond what we were expecting ... it's going well"

DB Chris Davis on practice so far: "it's been good. It's been a grind. Everybody's trying to give it their all out there"

@FootballAU

CJ Uzomah wearing colorful socks to match his Chelsea jersey

BQ3ZganCYAAP_ZP.jpg

@ITATJason

Saw Uzomah several times walking to Lowder over the Summer. He almost always wore a soccer jersey with matching socks.

Yes I read up on him and there I found out a couple things I didn't know. Thanks

Most likely, you missed the FACT that Jay was NOT utilized AT ALL last season. (I would actually talk to the television during games about this FACT)........

Yep I figured that. I feel like almost our entire team was mishandled. I agree with you 1000%

Dudes a former all american.....that might be what ya missed...plus ad the fact he's a senior....smh

You can pretty much shut the hell up....thanks

You can pretty much shut the hell up....thanks

Whoa chillax bro...

Jay's name comes up every single time "leaders" are mentioned by coaches. He's always in the "front group", if you will. See that physique? That's a ton of hard work and dedication. Dude is hard-nosed and you never hear anything except rave reviews from coaches and fellow players. It means a lot for a coach to select a player to break the team down...you don't just pick a player at random.

Archived