2013 Fall Camp -- Practice 3 (Sun, Aug 4)

RunInRed

AU practiced in shells Sunday which provided the first real contact of fall camp. Here's who's on the post-practice media slate...

Waiting to speak with Gus Malzahn, C.J. Uzomah, Kris Frost and Jermaine Whitehead after #Auburn practice

@JamesCrapea

Updates forthcoming. You know the drill. Stay tuned ...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Auburn practiced a first, second and third team Sunday

@AUGoldMine

Gus Malzahn at the podium: Says the practice got a lot of reps, very physical, a lot of good information as far as evaluation.

Malzahn says Auburn rotated with the two-deep, and the third team had a bunch of newcomers. Quarterbacks were rotating in.

Quan Bray and Trovon Reed are the receivers moving around and learning extra spots.

Malzahn says the coaching staff tries to evaluate each day who would start if the season started tomorrow.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Malzahn says he didn't think all the QBs got a chance with the first team

Malzahn: "We got a couple of receivers we're trying to look at at different spots."

Malzahn said Demetruce McNeal did not practice again, "getting better"

Malzahn says C.J. Uzomah is "flexible" and working inside and outside, H-Back

@JamesCrapea

Gus Malzahn said the quarterbacks started to mix and match as far as who they scrimmaged with on Sunday.

On the offensive/defensive linemen: "It was pretty physical. They were really getting at it up front. ... They were very aggressive."

Malzahn: "All positions are pretty wide open until we get a week or so down the line."

Malzahn says it's "way too early" to be able to tell when they can make a call on the starting quarterback.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn said new QBs Nick Marshall and Jeremy Johnson got reps with the veterans for the first time, but there is no separation in battle.

Malzahn: "Any time you have a lot of players, there's always going to be turnovers when you're rotating four quarterbacks."

Malzahn said Patrick Miller, Avery Young and Shon Coleman all competing at right tackle. It's a wide-open competition, but he said all are.

Malzahn names four early leaders: Reese Dismukes and Jay Prosch on offense, Justin Garret and Chris Davis on defense.

Malzahn: "Any time you have a lot of players, there's always going to be turnovers when you're rotating four quarterbacks."

Malzahn on expectations for an H-Back: "Somebody who can do it all. Somebody who can block and catch."

Malzahn said Justin Garrett has carried his spring momentum into the start of fall camp. He's playing with "a lot of confidence."

Safety Demetruce McNeal still held out of practice Sunday. That, and new QBs repping with vets, are the two takeaways.

@AUBlog

[scratches neck] c'mon man I been waitin' all day man... I need my fix man...

It's funny because of how true it is. I need my team drill videos and quotes. *twitches*

LB Kris Frost Sunday on new defense: "It's been great; we've all been flying around"

Kris Frost: "It's our time to show what we can do; we're competing. There's not one guy on that field that doesn't want to start"

TE C.J. Uzomah Sunday post-practice: "The energy and how fast we're moving is way beyond what we were expecting ... it's going well"

DB Chris Davis on practice so far: "it's been good. It's been a grind. Everybody's trying to give it their all out there"

@FootballAU

CJ Uzomah wearing colorful socks to match his Chelsea jersey

BQ3ZganCYAAP_ZP.jpg

@ITATJason

After stretching before practice started ...

CGM: Real football ... this is a big day ... I want you to understand that ... where's Jay Prosch ... break us down ...

Prosch: Together on 3 ... 1...2...3 TOGETHER!

Random roster note from @AUGoldMine ...

Counting walk-ons, there are 39 true and redshirt freshmen on today's Auburn roster.

Also, on Kris Frost ...

The linebacker said Sunday he weighs 244 pounds, up from 230 of a year ago. The 238 figure is listed on the roster.

http://www.auburntigers.com/ot/blog_charles_goldberg_goldmine.html

CGM: Real football ... this is a big day ... I want you to understand that ... where's Jay Prosch ... break us down ...

It's clear we have more leaders on the team but seems to me Prosch is the top leader. If so, i think there is no better person to be the top leader. Just seems like the team feeds off his intensity. The guy is constantly on 10! He knows no other way.

It's clear we have more leaders on the team but seems to me Prosch is the top leader. If so, i think there is no better person to be the top leader. Just seems like the team feeds off his intensity. The guy is constantly on 10! He knows no other way.

You gotta respect a guy that has only been on the team for a year basically and is already seen as THE leader. You know his hard work earned him that title! WDE Prosch!

You gotta respect a guy that has only been on the team for a year basically and is already seen as THE leader. You know his hard work earned him that title! WDE Prosch!

Very true...that's what makes it amazing b/c he's only been here a short amount of time.

Glad to hear Frost is finally filling out. I've been expecting big things from him since he signed.

Also, Prosch's leadership cannot be understated. He's worked his butt off since he got here last year and is exactly the type of guy these young men need to be looking up to.

Archived