Jeremy Johnson

TexasTiger

Both Gus and JJ said he was "football only" right after he signed. I don't think we'll see him in an Auburn basketball uniform.

Both Gus and JJ said he was "football only" right after he signed. I don't think we'll see him in an Auburn basketball uniform.

Not exactly what was said:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/no_basketball_plans_for_auburn.html

Pretty close. Quoting from the headline in article you linked: "No basketball plans for Auburn's Jeremy Johnson, who's 'fighting for starting quarterback job"

PS: Redshirt or not, JJ is one snap away from being the starting QB. He'll spend no time on roundball.

I love AU basketball and I'm a Jeremy Johnson fan.....suffice it to say the only way JJ steps on the court during a bball game is to hold up the letter "N" as the crowd spells out AUBURN.

Wonder why Gus is so adamant about no basketball for JJ. We have a pretty good tradition of 2 sport athletes (Bo, Frank Thomas, Tim Hudson, various track guys, etc). I can see a primarily basketball guy not being allowed to play football b/c of the injury potential and I can see a primarily baseball hitter not being allowed to play football (learning to hit curves is 24/7/365) and JJ may not be Charlie Ward, but...just wondering.

Wonder why Gus is so adamant about no basketball for JJ. We have a pretty good tradition of 2 sport athletes (Bo, Frank Thomas, Tim Hudson, various track guys, etc). I can see a primarily basketball guy not being allowed to play football b/c of the injury potential and I can see a primarily baseball hitter not being allowed to play football (learning to hit curves is 24/7/365) and JJ may not be Charlie Ward, but...just wondering.

Clue me in: What second sport did Tim Hudson play? I can't recall him doing that but my rememberer ain't what it used to be. As for Bo and Frank, they weren't quarterbacks and Frank dropped football early on. After his soph year, I believe.

So can JJ redshirt in football and play in basketball during the same year? I imagine the answer to this is no but just wasn't sure....

Also....I agree that it is highly unlikely JJ ever plays basketball. You might could get away with that at another position but not QB. I'm never a fan of a QB playing multiple sports. It can work but usually doesn't.

Clue me in: What second sport did Tim Hudson play? I can't recall him doing that but my rememberer ain't what it used to be. As for Bo and Frank, they weren't quarterbacks and Frank dropped football early on. After his soph year, I believe.

Prob meant Gabe Gross. Jake Drum and Clifton Robinson also played f-ball and basketball (neither very well). Bo ran track too.

So can JJ redshirt in football and play in basketball during the same year? I imagine the answer to this is no but just wasn't sure....

Also....I agree that it is highly unlikely JJ ever plays basketball. You might could get away with that at another position but not QB. I'm never a fan of a QB playing multiple sports. It can work but usually doesn't.

The answer to that is yes. However, if he's playing/practicing basketball he's not studying football. That's not going to happen.

JJ ain't gonna play basketball fellas. The coaches probably frown on him even playing a pickup game with his friends. Nothing good can come of it, only bad. As far as Charlie Ward goes, if he were at FSU now, he probably wouldnt play bb either (or he'd have to make a choice).

The answer to that is yes. However, if he's playing/practicing basketball he's not studying football. That's not going to happen.

Yep....most of the dual or three sport athletes were back in the day before football became a year-around sport. Now if JJ were a point guard with college potential that might be another story. In the case of JJ however...there are a thousand 6-6" swing F/G and he's better off devoting his time to film study and QB fundamentals....and maybe put on some weight/muscle.

Archived