Inside view of WSU offense

AUBourne

Doesn't tell us much. I understand what Leach is trying to do, but I would think young QBs need more hands on coaching.

Sure the QBs have to learn to react quickly and learn how to make smart decisions. An Aaron Murray or a AJ McCarron does not need nearly as much coaching as a Nick Marshall. McCarron and Murray have been running their teams for three years. They have experience and repetition. This is Marshall's first year as an SEC QB.

Without sitting down and going over things in your head, before you encounter the situations, means your mistake quotient grows exponentially. The reason you have coaches is not only to discipline, encourage and motivate; --- it is to have experience in situations where the coaches have seen it before and mapped out a strategy to handle it. I like the Malzahn approach much better.

The only thing this article tells us is what we already know; -- rattle the QB early, make him second guess his decisions (through a few sacks and busted plays), and the offensive rhythm will fall apart.

CAM SAID HELLO

I'm sorry, but what does Cam have to do with WSU's offense?

Nothing...but there was blurb in their about Nick Marshall and his learning curve in comparison to Murray and AJ

CAM SAID HELLO

I'm sorry, but what does Cam have to do with WSU's offense?

Nothing...but there was blurb in their about Nick Marshall and his learning curve in comparison to Murray and AJ

Was not in relation to Marshall's ability, but rather coaching style. Younger QBs require more coaching than seasoned guys. Geez!

If you will look back at any of my post, you will find that I think the sky is the limit for Nick Marshall. In my opinion, he is another Dameyune Craig in the making. Been saying that since he signed with us.

Guest WarEagleSteve

I see the logic in Leach's approach to a point but there are WAY too many variables to make that a viable approach at the collegiate level. In the NFL, absolutely, that could work and work well if you have an Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning/Drew Brees type at the helm. In college? Certainly not. College quarterbacks can't devote as much time to film study and preparation as an offensive coordinator can. He may be able to see what's happening on the field but if the opposing defensive coordinator knows what he's doing, that quarterback may not have a clue what's coming next. Especially if he's a younger or inexperienced guy. His offensive coordinator, on the other hand, probably has a much better idea. Line of scrimmage checks and hot reads are one thing but leaving your (in this case, especially) inexperienced quarterback to more or less completely control your offense? No thank you.

Leach is a fantastic coach. He rubs people the wrong way because his ego is incredible, but that does not take away the fact that he runs an incredible offense. I'm afraid they are going to score quite a few points on us. We have to hope we can keep pressure on the QB but they use so many short passes that this gets frustrating. I'm really counting on OUR offense and OUR genius to put up a whole kaboozle ton of points to pull away from them.

Leach is a fantastic coach. He rubs people the wrong way because his ego is incredible, but that does not take away the fact that he runs an incredible offense. I'm afraid they are going to score quite a few points on us. We have to hope we can keep pressure on the QB but they use so many short passes that this gets frustrating. I'm really counting on OUR offense and OUR genius to put up a whole kaboozle ton of points to pull away from them.

He will also dink and dunk you to death. Then when you are looking for that, he will go over the top. It is a tricky O to defend.

Guest WarEagleSteve

He will also dink and dunk you to death. Then when you are looking for that, he will go over the top. It is a tricky O to defend.

I agree that it's a somewhat tricky offense to defend....when it works properly. Leach's best Texas Tech teams were a nightmare to defend. However, Leach also benefited from having two really excellent quarterbacks for most of his tenure in Kliff Kingsbury and Graham Harrell. He also made more than just a token effort to run the football (2008, his most successful year, saw two 700+ yard rushers). Neither of these are the case at Washington State (Connor Halliday is no Graham Harrell and WSU was dead last in rushing last year). Also, interior pressure is going to be the key. I distinctly remember watching the '08 TTech-OU game and seeing Gerald McCoy just blow up everything they tried to do on offense.

Guest WarEagleSteve

What's going to be tricky is Leach trying to run his offense with his 3rd string Qb around halftime. :hellyeah:

That IS going to be tough. I think Carl Lawson should just go ahead and set his tent up in the backfield. He'll be there long enough.

Leach did have a good deal of success while at TTU. However, he was on the receiving end of some huge blow outs during his time at TTU. I see Ellis Johnson's coaching expertise winning the day though. Leach does not have anywhere near the talent level currently at WSU that he had during his most successful seasons at TTU. WSU will not stop our offense, and we will be able to score pretty much at will from the get-go. I think it could get rather ugly by half-time of near midway of the 3rd quarter. The 2013 edition of Auburn football will be vastly different than the 2012 version on both sides of the ball. We represent a much greater threat to WSU & Leach than WSU and Leach does to us. I think by the 6-8th games of the season, you will see Leach's offense having success with some of the weaker Pac 12 teams such as Colorado. The big boys in the Pac 12, will have their way with WSU this season. I do think though, that the 2014 WSU team will start to have success here and there in the Pac 12. WSU will never be a dominant team in the Pac 12, but could be one that can have 8-5 types of seasons under Leach's watch.

That is hilarious, and tells me CEJ will bring creative blitz pressure all day long. Get ready Carl and Elijah. WDE!

What's going to be tricky is Leach trying to run his offense with his 3rd string Qb around halftime. :hellyeah:

That IS going to be tough. I think Carl Lawson should just go ahead and set his tent up in the backfield. He'll be there long enough.

I have never seen Daniels but I have seen Lawson and we are going to see a great pass rusher the next 3-4 years.

Archived