Turd Sororities won't allow Black Students to Join

AU-24

Just realized I should have posted this here and not where I originally posted. I thought in the light of Turd bad news, I would add some more! My apologies if this has already been posted, but I just have a feeling this could get big!! University of Alabama Panhellenic sorority advisers and alumnae pulled the plug on at least two black students rushing during August’s recruitment week, UA’s The Crimson White reports, against the wishes of many current sorority members.

In “The Final Barrier: 50 years later, segregation still exists,” CW reporters Abbey Crain and Matt Ford report that Alpha Gamma Delta members were told during recruitment that the sorority would not be voting on potential new members because the chapter had already agreed on who would make the cut.

According to the CW, sorority member Melanie Gotz raised her hand and asked, “Are we not going to talk about the black girl?”

The girl, according to the CW, should have been a prime candidate — a “4.3 GPA in high school, was salutatorian of her graduating class and comes from a family with deep roots in local and state public service and a direct link to The University of Alabama.”

Gotz said other sorority members in the room begin standing up for voting the girl through to the next round of recruitment.

“It was just so cool to see everyone willing to take this next step and be the sorority that took a black girl and not care,” Gotz told the CW. “You know, I would say there were probably five people in the room that disagreed with everything that was being said. The entire house wanted this girl to be in Alpha Gam. We were just powerless over the alums.”

[See also: Is this the year the University of Alabama's Panhellenic Association accepts a black sorority member?]

A member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, who asked to remain anonymous, told the CW her chapter’s alumnae interfered with normal voting procedures for the same girl Alpha Gamma dropped.

“To my knowledge, the president and the rush chair and our rush advisors were behind this, and if we had been able to pledge her, it would’ve been an honor,” the Tri Delt member said. “However, our [alumnae] stepped in and went over us and had her dropped.”

The Tri Delt member said the rushee was scored extremely well by members during the first round, and she believes sororities would have been fighting over recruiting the rushee -- if she weren't black.

"The only thing that kept her back was the color of her skin in Tri Delt," she said. "She would have been a dog fight between all the sororities if she were white."

An anonymous member of Chi Omega also told the CW the potential recruit received also perfect scores after the first round of recruitment, but cites its rush adviser, University employee Emily Jamison, being responsible for dropping her.

The member said other members called the national headquarters of Chi O, asking them to investigate possible discrimination, and the chapter's philanthropy chair -- who had rooted for the selection of the rushee -- summarily resigned from the sorority and moved out of the sorority house.

A member of Pi Beta Phi confirmed that chapter alumnae threatened to cut financial support if the recruit were to pledge.

Read the entire report online at The Crimson White.

The hits just keep on coming........................

OMG! This is down right scary! My daughter was a member of a sorority at Auburn that has a few black members. I am proud of both the sorority and the girls for not pledging a traditional black sorority.

The whole fraternity/sorority thing is just hilarious to me anyways, especially the folks who are totally in to it and out of touch with how most of the student population roll. C'mon, you know the guy/gal I'm talking about. I always chuckle at Joe Q. Fratboy whose 40 and hanging out for the weekend with the pledges. The guy everybody laughs at behind his back. That there's racism involved shouldn't surprise anyone, it's very obvious. Even a cursory view of the Greek system would show you the reality. Unfortunately it's not just limited to Updyke U either which is sad in this day and age. This won't make any real waves at all imo because it's so common everywhere. It will pass pretty quick.

Haven't they always had problems with segregated Greek organizations there? The idea of alumnae running the show just seems wrong too.

Haven't they always had problems with segregated Greek organizations there? The idea of alumnae running the show just seems wrong too.

In first article I posted the alumnae threaten to pull alumnae funding if the 4.3 GPA girl was allowed to join. Front page of the USA Today does mean something!

The whole fraternity/sorority thing is just hilarious to me anyways, especially the folks who are totally in to it and out of touch with how most of the student population roll. C'mon, you know the guy/gal I'm talking about. I always chuckle at Joe Q. Fratboy whose 40 and hanging out for the weekend with the pledges. The guy everybody laughs at behind his back. That there's racism involved shouldn't surprise anyone, it's very obvious. Even a cursory view of the Greek system would show you the reality. Unfortunately it's not just limited to Updyke U either which is sad in this day and age. This won't make any real waves at all imo because it's so common everywhere. It will pass pretty quick.

You could be right, but front page of the USA Today..... Maybe something will stick.

You could be right, but front page of the USA Today..... Maybe something will stick.

Yeah, maybe so. Hopefully it will catch on with the other news organizations and start rolling. Def worth watchin.

I have to admit that when I first read the article I got pretty excited because it was another brick in the wall for them. I think things are going to start coming down all around them now. But after a minute of gloating I felt really bad about it. It's one thing to be happy the football program may be getting their just reward but the racism issue is very different. It is a sad reflection on our state that this kind of stuff is still going on. While I think this will get national attention and the University of Alabama will take the biggest hit on it. The State of Alabama will also take a hit. I wish we could just go one year without this stupid behavior happening. We are never going to turn the corner in all kinds of areas socially and economically until we get rid of this racist behavior. It does seem interesting to me that everything they have been accusing Auburn of the past several years is coming back to bit them. Karma really is bear. By the way for those of you that don't think the money scandal is getting national attention, I was listening to Fox Sports on XM this morning and they were blasting Saban for all kinds of stuff including trying to bully the press in that news conference the other day. They can say whatever they want but this is getting a lot of attention outside the state and as we all know once some of these outlets get a story that can bring a progam down they don't let go.

I have to admit that when I first read the article I got pretty excited because it was another brick in the wall for them. I think things are going to start coming down all around them now. But after a minute of gloating I felt really bad about it. It's one thing to be happy the football program may be getting their just reward but the racism issue is very different. It is a sad reflection on our state that this kind of stuff is still going on. While I think this will get national attention and the University of Alabama will take the biggest hit on it. The State of Alabama will also take a hit. I wish we could just go one year without this stupid behavior happening. We are never going to turn the corner in all kinds of areas socially and economically until we get rid of this racist behavior. It does seem interesting to me that everything they have been accusing Auburn of the past several years is coming back to bit them. Karma really is bear. By the way for those of you that don't think the money scandal is getting national attention, I was listening to Fox Sports on XM this morning and they were blasting Saban for all kinds of stuff including trying to bully the press in that news conference the other day. They can say whatever they want but this is getting a lot of attention outside the state and as we all know once some of these outlets get a story that can bring a progam down they don't let go.

The ugly face of racism is not limited to what goes on at Alrbamr but rather has a way of showing up everywhere up from time to time. You're right in concluding that our state will probably take a bigger hit than most because of how neatly it fits into a decades old narrative that the press has maintained. Really though the greek system is not open to anybody and everybody...its very click-ish and treats many white people the same way. I was in a fraternity for 3 years and got really tired of the political machinations of how they accepted their incoming pledges. Certain factions get behind a few people that another faction will black ball them because they haven't gotten their new members passed yet. Its not a pretty arrangement and the under belly of it can get pretty nasty.

Thanks X1000. I've looked at the computer screen for 15 minutes attempting to articulate a response to this article. Well said, it is a reflection on the entire State of Alabama. It angers me when the "Race Card" is played, and as much so when it's true. As much as it may anger some of my AU Family, perhaps we should be sure this isn't happening on our campus.

Thanks X1000. I've looked at the computer screen for 15 minutes attempting to articulate a response to this article. Well said, it is a reflection on the entire State of Alabama. It angers me when the "Race Card" is played, and as much so when it's true. As much as it may anger some of my AU Family, perhaps we should be sure this isn't happening on our campus.

Greeks are the reason I became an Auburn fan. My maternal grandmother was an Alabama graduate, so naturally we were fans. My sister was the first to secede from the madness. Her senior year in high school was selected to represent her school for Village Fair....Long, long time ago. When she came home, she told my mom she was going to Auburn. She never was fond of the Greek mentality. She could have had as many recs needed to be a Tri-Del at Alabama. She told my mom she would be happier at Auburn. Of course my grandmother had "vapors", but all's well that ends well. My sister was a trail blazer, a total of 8 followed her to Auburn. I suppose I should thank the Greeks! War Eagle!!!

It is sad, I agree! One of the reason's I moved to the Florida panhandle! All the benefits of living in Dixie, (plus the beach) without all of the baggage! On your other note, I am glad Fox Sports is discussing it because BSPN sure isn't, unless they are talking about how well the turds are handling the situation!

Archived