A letter to Gus and Auburn in the Wall Street Journal Sunday

Stripe

That was a cool letter to Coach. He knows the pressure of playing UAT no matter what is on the line, but if he can do it this year it will be great. I do not see anyone other than AU beating UAT this year. Our offense will give them trouble.

Whenever I read on our boards opinions about how everyone in the media loves bama I shrug. They do love ratings ($) and therefore storylines. But outside the state, there is total and complete uat exhaustion, - they play sound but pretty boring football, they seem win lately more with recruiting than with true coaching (ie does anyone doubt if gus had the same level of depth and talent who vegas would favor?) and the fan base (ie toomers trees) has a fanatical element which just spooks people out. And saban himself just isn't likable. Bowden, miles, ect - nutty yes, but interesting. Saban is just a narcissistic, grumpy mercenary. Everybody thinks it. Heck his 60 mins interview bored to tears - half of it was his wife trying to humanize him. Respected does not mean liked.

In Chicago or Phoenix, a guy with no dog in the fight, hes just watching the iron bowl in a couple of weeks -do you really think he's pulling for bama?

After we deal with a stern test this weekend, our goals become more about doing something thats best for the country!

"It seems that the Auburn football program was built as a thrill ride."

One can only assume that Ms. Bachman hasn't heard of the Gus Bus.

I would venture to say that the ESPN love fest would have to be dying down at this point. Who, outside of Bama fans, would watch an Alabama game? They're boring to watch and aside from about 3 games a year, they're gonna blow the other team out. No one wants to watch that. People like to watch crazy plays made at the last minute when the game is on the line with great individual performances. Bama football is probably losing ESPN money they could be making elsewhere if you ask me. I'd bet the ratings have plummeted in the last 2 years.

Even uat students don't want to watch their games any more. They're back to their old bahr ways of playing a couple of good teams a year. A lot of that may have to do with the fact that, so long as they're dominating most of the SEC, most of the rest of the SEC stinks.

Their domination - fueled by their cheating and the NCAA's refusal to enforce the rules against bama - is doing severe damage to the rest of the conference. I think it is going to take someone beating them in spite of their cheating to get the NCAA to step up. If bama is removed from the top spot, while still cheating, then the NCAA has no reason not to crack down on them.

it is still coaching also. You can have great recruits and still suck with a not so good coach. Look at Auburn last year vs this year. Look at USC since firing Lame Kiffin. It takes both a good coach and top recruits

Whenever I read on our boards opinions about how everyone in the media loves bama I shrug. They do love ratings ($) and therefore storylines. But outside the state, there is total and complete uat exhaustion, - they play sound but pretty boring football, they seem win lately more with recruiting than with true coaching (ie does anyone doubt if gus had the same level of depth and talent who vegas would favor?) and the fan base (ie toomers trees) has a fanatical element which just spooks people out. And saban himself just isn't likable. Bowden, miles, ect - nutty yes, but interesting. Saban is just a narcissistic, grumpy mercenary. Everybody thinks it. Heck his 60 mins interview bored to tears - half of it was his wife trying to humanize him. Respected does not mean liked.

In Chicago or Phoenix, a guy with no dog in the fight, hes just watching the iron bowl in a couple of weeks -do you really think he's pulling for bama?

After we deal with a stern test this weekend, our goals become more about doing something thats best for the country!

yes!!!!! Lets win this one for the USA!!!!

U...S...A!!! U...S...A!!! U...S...A!!!

;)

it is still coaching also. You can have great recruits and still suck with a not so good coach. Look at Auburn last year vs this year. Look at USC since firing Lame Kiffin. It takes both a good coach and top recruits

I agree but could saban have done what harbaugh did at Stanford (or the 49ers)?..... Look at results at Mich st, and the dolphins vs lsu and Bama. He requires superior talent.

He's a good coach and defensive mind, he teaches great fundamentals, and he's an amazing program builder (if he has access to certain inherent recruiting advantages) - but he requires bullying talent and the rich get richer system for it to really work (the nfl drafts the opposite of that). Everybody's become bored of it. Time for us, sooner or later, to euthanasia this thing.

Even uat students don't want to watch their games any more. They're back to their old bahr ways of playing a couple of good teams a year. A lot of that may have to do with the fact that, so long as they're dominating most of the SEC, most of the rest of the SEC stinks.

Their domination - fueled by their cheating and the NCAA's refusal to enforce the rules against bama - is doing severe damage to the rest of the conference. I think it is going to take someone beating them in spite of their cheating to get the NCAA to step up. If bama is removed from the top spot, while still cheating, then the NCAA has no reason not to crack down on them.

I don't know when or how but their day of reckoning will come. Maybe as long as Saban is there nothing happens. Even the brightest star will someday lose it's shine. When it does come back to earth it will be one hell if a crash.

;)/>

HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!

Saban couldn't win in the NFL because in the NFL everybody pays their players.

Exactly. He can't win on equal footing. Bottom line is... the nation is sick of Alabama being a "dynasty" over the years.

Yes.... uat is a "dynasty", but if they cannot do it honestly, then it's still boring.

Hell, anybody can cheat and win... Maybe it ain't Saban...but the boosters giving 1000 dollar handshakes still qualify.

Pat Dye and Gene Stallings were having a radio discussion about getting talent and what it takes to win. Both had respect for each other and what they were able to accomplish. Both agreed to have a top team you have to have talent and good coaching.

I think both know what they were talking about as both were very successful, playing each other and playing in the SEC every year. Sometimes, desire and coaching can overcome a lack of talent, but not on a regular basis.

Tommy Tuberville and staff were probably the best AU coaches we have had at coaching up players over the long term. Several of Tuberville's 3 stars have and are still playing in the Pros. I do put Gus and company on par thus far, but they did not walk into an Auburn team that did not have talent. They just needed to fill out a few gaps in the talent area. Chizik and his staff at least recruited very well.

Saban isn't a god, not even a minor one. I think he's a hell of a recruiter with all the money changing hands, but without that He's average, He is a great game prep coach, But he is not a great game time coach. He has made some dumb ass calls over the years that leave even Les Miles scratching his head.

All that being said, take the ability to pay or have the players paid and saban sucks, mediocra at best.

Looking at his career, CNS is a serviceable coach that plays the odds with statistically sound Offense and Defense. But for him to win, he has to out recruit by a good 20%. Guys, if we had gotten Couandjio? or Yeldon or Mosley or insert 1-2 names here, bama would be down enough and we would be up enough to really put this game into doubt. Saban is the king of the recruiting machine, PERIOD. To find a game where he actually coached a significant come from behind win, you have to go back to 1998 i believe when he was at Michigan State. Think about that for a moment. When LSU hired him, the Corndogs thought the AD was on drugs. He was a little better than .500 overall at Michigan State, no titles, nothing. He is exactly what the writer said, a machine-process guy.

You give Spurrier CNS's recruits?

You give Malzahn CNS's recruits?

You give Baylor CNS's recuits? They would all be better than the Tide.

Lombardi was once said to be able to "Give you hisn and still beat you with yourn." That is a mark of a great coach.

CTT was successful with mostly 3-4 star talent. He would be awesome with CNS's talent.

CNS, for all his career, has only yielded ONE UNBEATEN TEAM.

We have had three at Auburn with three different coaches since 1993, since Saban has been a head coach.

To find a game where he actually coached a significant come from behind win, you have to go back to 1998 i believe when he was at Michigan State.

Or the 2009 iron bowl.

To find a game where he actually coached a significant come from behind win, you have to go back to 1998 i believe when he was at Michigan State.

Or the 2009 iron bowl.

Well i was talking about "without having a significant talent advantage" but your point is still valid.

;)

:AUBig::aufb: = :flag: :aufb:

:flame: :ua: :shoot:

Archived