Next Year

mikeymac

I know some people might get annoyed about already talking about next year after the great year we had. However, I know thinking about next year is one of the things that is helping me stay positive. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible, but I expect us to be in the four team playoff next year. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are no guarantees. Have to take it when you can and we certainly had it. Sure we will be better but we will not be coming out of nowhere. We will not be the underdogs next year. It's not going to get any easier but of course I certainly welcome the defense help we will get but FSU held our offense in check the 2H and best believe that tape will be studied by everyone we'll play next year.

Next year we better have better coaching and play by out special teams. They cost AU the championship.

I disagree strongly. Our special teams setup an early TD by pinning FSU inside their 5. Later, we pinned them inside the 20 once and at least the 10 another time. The three muffed returns were frustrating but fortunately didn't cost us anything. Parkey missing a FG in the first half was also frustrating but missed FGs are just going to happen--even to the best PKs. And the returned kickoff for a TD was bad but we had the lead with under 2 minutes and that's on the defense (who played an overall great game). This was just a tough loss against a good team IMO.

Next year we better have better coaching and play by out special teams. They cost AU the championship.

So did not tackling a WR on the last drive for a 5 yard gain allowing him to make it inside our 20. So did missing an easy TD pass on the 2nd drive.

Our special teams are one of the big reasons we were even in the championship game.

I know it's frustrating to see a game there for the taking slip from your grasp, but don't be like this.

Lets be truthful. While we didn't win the Crystal, this team has done more with less than any team ever. The biggest turn around ever. Give the guys credit. Did we miss a few things last night ?Yes. But this team has run the toughest schedule in CFB and came out 13 seconds short of winning it all. That said I am encouraged because we return so much next year. This could be the first time that Gus has had a second year QB in college. uat will be down bringing in a new qb. So will lsu , atm , ole miss and Mizz. uga has to start a new qb as does usce. We should be the best of the SEC and that should get us to the playoff. WDE

Surprised by such a post. Better coaching ? To have come from a 3-9 season to playing for the NC in 13 months and you think coaching/special teams was the problem ? The coaches and the special teams did a phenomenal job this year and were the major reason we played for the NC.

I know I don't post much, but I read a lot and I am real disturbed at some so called Auburn fans. We had an amazing year, did things that the media said all year was impossible, played teams that say they are the best, but left everyone of them licking their wounds when it was over. We may have lost the game but we are still Auburn! Some of these people sound just like those cry babies from t-town, complaining about everything and blaming our coaches. We ran the ball on every team that said we couldn't and beat teams we were given no shot at. Enjoy what our men accomplished and don't be a t-town cry baby. Auburn men and women are better than that!

Blaming our special team play is very weak. That very same special team crew was a big reason AU made it to Pasadena in the first place. Geesh!

Are we all disappointed by getting so close but not winning the BCSNC? Hell yes we are, but how many out there---and be honest---actually thought AU would be in the SEC championship game this year, much less the national championship game? Most if not all of us would have been happy wiht a winning record and a bowl game. This coaching staff and these players gave us much more than we could imagined at the start of the season. Next year will get here soon enough. Let's enjoy what was accomplished this past year. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

Next year is setting up nicely for us. We will have some tough road games but unlike 2010, we aren't losing 29 players from the roster. That was big against us.

This year was critical because Auburn has their mojo/swag/gumption (depending on your generation) back. Not only do we believe, the nation believes in us now.

Our special teams helped get us the championship as much as any part of the team. We did have a few hiccups last night but they aren`t the only reason we lost.

As much as this hurts, this could help our program. We have something to shoot for, came close but not quite there. Keeps us hungry, thats my takeaway from this. With Coach Malzahn and all the coaches, we have shot at being a consistent Top 5 kind off a team, and that would be great for Auburn football.

Students of Gus will realize that next year's offense may be in no way, shape or form like this year's offense. He builds his O around his players (see e.g. his Tulsa years when his WRs were getting it done so his QBs threw for crazy yardage and 2010 when the 2009 O had been utterly redesigned for Cam by game #4). We know he's a run first guy, but when the cast changes, he changes - often in a big way - with it. So those predicting Nick Marshall will blah, blah, blah, consider what the dynamic will be when Prosch has graduated, when we have more than 1 really good receiving TE (Parks et al), if 2 major O linemen go NFL, and the many changes a more experienced, less flakey DEFENSE (e.g. a secondary that's young but doesn't suck) brings to what can be done on O.

fwiw, alternating QBs, and not just in the wildcat sense, is a very real possibility next season.

We were one player catching a cramp and another getting out of his lane a little from winning it all. What are you complaining about? Also one...ONE. .big completion on their part at the end from winning. Our guys played lights out on D just missed a couple big plays. The late Marshall INT wasn't helpful either. It's stupid to single out one particular area of the game. It was 21-10 @ the half. Had. they not shut ddown our O in the 3rd qtr the game would've never been in question to begin with. That was a great game and a performance I can still be proud of. War F****** Eagle.

Dismukes has stated he's returning. Robinson said last night's loss made his decision much harder because he wanted to leave with a ring.

My guess is that he and Mason end up leaving but who knows?

Well with Gus's immediate success what do we expect for next year and the following years! Are we going to be consistently in the national spotlight?

I plan on approaching next season just like this season...taking it one game at a time. For a majority of fans...i'm sure many will expect the same next year because we bring back so many players esp. at the skill positions and with the recruits we have coming in.

I caution fans to not put so much pressure on our team and coaches. This year was a great year that many of us did not expect. Yes, i think we can do it again but i like the approach of one game at a time and getting better game by game. Our schedule is not going to get any easier and esp. on the road next year and teams are going to be more ready for us next year. We are not going to be the underdogs next year...we're going to be the hunted so we'll have to see how this team will be able to handle being the favorites.

I know some people might get annoyed about already talking about next year after the great year we had. However, I know thinking about next year is one of the things that is helping me stay positive. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible, but I expect us to be in the four team playoff next year. What are your thoughts?

Not going to try to predict numbers ot finishes, but I've thought all this season that there is every reason to believe that Auburn will be beter next year than they were this season. Not just with the players coming back but with the team having had a season to become a real team again. Ideally they pick up where they left off this season.

The question wil be whether they're still as hungry and as determined next season as they were this season. Ironically, last night's loss may go a long way to insuring that they will be.

As much as this hurts, this could help our program. We have something to shoot for, came close but not quite there. Keeps us hungry, thats my takeaway from this. With Coach Malzahn and all the coaches, we have shot at being a consistent Top 5 kind off a team, and that would be great for Auburn football.

I'd rather us be a top 4 kind of team! LOL

Archived