Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in school for Charles, Chuck, and some of the good times with Sonny (Elite 8). Didn't realize how spoiled I was.

You were def. lucky. Only thing good about Auburn basketball i recall is Chris Porter and i was still in high school during that run. lol.

Bryant Smith was the glue guy to that Chris porter team. Nobody realized it but when he left the rest of the team came back and it wasn't the same.

Also Marquis Daniels team made a run in the tourneys and barely loss to the eventual champions that had a freshman Melo on it

Bryant Smith was the blue guy to that Chris porter team. Nobody realized it but when he left the rest of the team came back and it wasn't the same.

Also Marquis Daniels team made a run in the tourneys and barely loss to the eventual champions that had a freshman Melo on it

Bryant Smith was a great one and a perfect example of a player progressing through 4 years in a good system, something we haven't had in a while.

Yep. He was a decent offensive player and an excellent defensive player. He was an excellent rebounder for a guard as well. He usually was able to cover up any defensive mismatches that doc Robison and Scotty p would produce because he was so long and versatile. And when he graduated we were good but not like that break out year good.

How many of you remember Jamison Brewer? He was one of my favorite players. A super athletic point guard. He played a couple of seasons in the NBA and played over seas

Whoever the next coach is...i just want him to inform us of what our identity will be and actually execute it regardless if he has "his players" or need to recruit "his" guys to run it. Work with what you have. Be able to show you can develop some players. Every game it's like our team has identity crisis. Are we a press team? Are we an up-tempo team? I never could tell.

Create some sort of consistency in philosophy so that our guys can grow and develop better. That was one of my issues with Barbee. Don’t use the excuse that you don’t have this guy or that guy….run your system consistently to develop some team chemistry.

APR CEO and AU basketball booster Stephen Hooks is tweeting confidently this morning. FWIW he RTed this from Auburn Insight

Auburn Insight ‏@AuburnInsight 3h

Talks w/ coach Buzz is only a formality. AU & Pearl are working out the details of his contract and an announcement should come before Wed.

Guest jojo1515

APR CEO and AU basketball booster Stephen Hooks is tweeting confidently this morning. FWIW he RTed this from Auburn Insight

Auburn Insight ‏@AuburnInsight 3h

Talks w/ coach Buzz is only a formality. AU & Pearl are working out the details of his contract and an announcement should come before Wed.

Well, it is just a retweet. Hooks is @HooksAPR on twitter for those interested. Not sure who AuburnInsight is. Either way, its a good sign :)/>

For an AU fan living in KY it would be sweet to have a coach like Pearl. I want AU to be competitive in everything -- sports & academics! WDE

VA Tech job is now open.

Is that a job Pearl wants?

I heard they were looking at Barbee. Seems they like Loeffler so much they thought they'd try another former coach of ours.

VA Tech job is now open.

I heard they were looking at Barbee. Seems they like Loeffler so much they thought they'd try another former coach of ours.

I'd highly recommend they do that and not focus on other, less qualified coaches like BP. Let us take him so he won't bring their program down. :)

VA Tech job is now open.

I am not sure how this will or will not effect us in getting Pearl. I do know that Pearl recruits the heck out of Atlanta. He goes on sports talk radio in Atlanta a lot. We are a lot closer to Atlanta than Va Tech is. Plus Va Tech is really remote. It is a very attractive school but is is in the mountains of Western VA. Aunurn, although somewhat remote, is not at all like Va Tech.

VA Tech job is now open.

Not sure anyone knows for sure. I don’t see why he wouldn’t be interested if they called. Since the Big East has disbanded i think the top 3 conferences are the B10, B12 and ACC (in no certain order as it can be debated). The ACC was expected to perform better than they did this year but it's the ACC if VA Tech were to call i don't see why Pearl wouldn't listen. I see several tweets from VA Tech fans and students on Twitter throwing his name out as a top candidate they'd like to see.

The good thing about the SEC and I’m hoping we do sell is that the Auburn job wouldn’t require Bruce or any other experienced coach a lot of time and having to recruit many 4* or 5* players to turn the program around in a short amount of time. Besides FL and Kentucky….the SEC is wide open for the taking. We barely can get 3 teams in the tourney every year.

VA Tech job is now open.

Not sure anyone knows for sure. I don’t see why he wouldn’t be interested if they called. Since the Big East has disbanded i think the top 3 conferences are the B10, B12 and ACC (in no certain order as it can be debated). The ACC was expected to perform better than they did this year but it's the ACC if VA Tech were to call i don't see why Pearl wouldn't listen. I see several tweets from VA Tech fans and students on Twitter throwing his name out as a top candidate they'd like to see.

The good thing about the SEC and I’m hoping we do sell is that the Auburn job wouldn’t require Bruce or any other experienced coach a lot of time and having to recruit many 4* or 5* players to turn the program around in a short amount of time. Besides FL and Kentucky….the SEC is wide open for the taking. We barely can get 3 teams in the tourney every year.

I agree with half your comments....disagree that Bruce or anyone else will bring many 4* and 5* athletes here...there just aren't that many around after Duke, Ariz, Kansas, Kentucky and a hand full of other traditional powers pick up all the "one and done" kids. Would be happy if we got a couple 4* and just kept them more than a year.

But...the SEC is indeed ripe for the taking.....as bad as AU was the past few years, we were not much below at least 6 teams and came close to beating UF...so it can be done. With a few more good kids and some good coaching, we could certainly pass most of those in one or two years IMO.

Guest jojo1515

64, you apparently do agree...seeing as he said it wouldnt take having to recruit alot of 4* and 5*...which I also agree with :)

VA Tech job is now open.

I agree with half your comments....disagree that Bruce or anyone else will bring many 4* and 5* athletes here...there just aren't that many around after Duke, Ariz, Kansas, Kentucky and a hand full of other traditional powers pick up all the "one and done" kids. Would be happy if we got a couple 4* and just kept them more than a year.

But...the SEC is indeed ripe for the taking.....as bad as AU was the past few years, we were not much below at least 6 teams and came close to beating UF...so it can be done. With a few more good kids and some good coaching, we could certainly pass most of those in one or two years IMO.

Probably didn't word that right but what i meant is that we do NOT need a lot 4* or 5* guys even if we do get Pearl. I certainly agree with you 100% on that. If you go back and look at the top players at Auburn some were not 4* or 5* guys. I don't expect Bruce to do that at all. What i desire from the next coach is for him to be able to recruit similarly to what Barbee did but be able to actually keep those players and develop them.

Teams that normally make a deep run in the tourney are veteran teams with with solid guard play and leadership. I'm a UCONN fan #1 and every NC they've won it came down to the guards. Those teams often have players that have been playing together 3-4 years. That's what i'd like to see.

Something to watch out for- my wife is a Wake Forest alumni and they are calling a press conference tomorrow likely to accept their coaches resignation. Bruce Pearl would probably jump at that job (if the private Baptist school board would hire him). It's ACC country and arguably a top 20 job. If we can get it done sooner the better.

Something to watch out for- my wife is a Wake Forest alumni and they are calling a press conference tomorrow likely to accept their coaches resignation. Bruce Pearl would probably jump at that job (if the private Baptist school board would hire him). It's ACC country and arguably a top 20 job. If we can get it done sooner the better.

Everyone has a pretty good sense of the jobs coming open.....so if Bruce were to come to AU it would be because it was his first choice. In the next week there will be some good BB coaching jobs open and the top candidates will have their pick. wake is a tough job....but most openings are at places with a tough hill to climb.

As for Wake....we like Wake and heard some good jokes after the Wake upset of Duke...mostly about the students rushing the floor afterwards and most not knowing what to do...one female student was overheard to ask a friend ...should I leave my purse in my seat...what are we going to do after we get to the floor?

This was my fear. The flood gates are starting to open up. Question is who is going to be calling Bruce? He's already stated (whether lip service or not; who knows) that he is willing to listen to anybody that gives him a call. I'd "shop" around as well. See who is interested.

I know he is not...expect it would not be that easy. Just wishful in hoping we could lock him down ASAP.

Archived