Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

Pearl already knew what jobs would be opening. Just stay the course and hopefully things work out. Pearl is no newbie to the coaching circus

FWIW reporters on an AU pay site have confirmed what Golf said earlier. It's beyond Pearl now. He and AU have agreed. It's up to the NCAA now. They have to approve Pearl and they have never approved a hire with a coach under a current show cause penalty.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but remember this as far as the NCAA.

with Dave Didion working for AU, having been involved directly with the case BP was involved with at UT, and giving his blessing on behalf of AU, it seems to me that the NCAA would allow the hire with Didion right under his nose.

Pearl already knew what jobs would be opening. Just stay the course and hopefully things work out. Pearl is no newbie to the coaching circus

FWIW reporters on an AU pay site have confirmed what Golf said earlier. It's beyond Pearl now. He and AU have agreed. It's up to the NCAA now. They have to approve Pearl and they have never approved a hire with a coach under a current show cause penalty.

If they don't approve would that mean we'd have to wait until Aug to hire him if we still wanted him?

Well help me hear I'm thick. That sounds an awful lot like Pearl is/was a nonstarter. I just can't imagine JJ would have gone through all the motions knowing that the NCAA would shoot him down.

So if we can't hire him until August... What does Auburn do?! I say that we make Ryan Miller the interim head coach until August!

With that said, I think us having the lead investigator on the Pearl case in our compliance department gives us an advantage with the NCAA. I like our chances.

If that's the case, I'm hoping Mike Slive goes to bat for AU and the conference.

I can see it going down like this:

NCAA: I'm going to need you to show cause, Auburn.

Auburn: Look at the desolate wasteland that is our BB program.

NCAA: Oh, damn! Go ahead. Hire him. The Horror! The Horror!

Hopefully having Dave Didion in the Auburn compliance department will make a difference in this case.

I can see it going down like this:

NCAA: I'm going to need you to show cause, Auburn.

Auburn: Look at the desolate wasteland that is our BB program.

NCAA: Oh, damn! Go ahead. Hire him. The Horror! The Horror!

:)

Hopefully having Dave Didion in the Auburn compliance department will make a difference in this case.

I would have thought Dave Didion would have told AU not to go after coach Pearl considering his situation unless he felt that could be resolved in a way to work for both the NCAA and AU.

I would have thought Dave Didion would have told AU not to go after coach Pearl considering his situation unless he felt that could be resolved in a way to work for both the NCAA and AU.

I tend to agree.

Exactly.

Eh, just sign him to a contract that says he starts "as soon as possible but not later than X date". The date would be the day after the show cause runs out but lock him down now. We don't need approval from the NCAA to do that.

E, has any school ever asked the NCAA to approve the hiring of a coach under a show-cause? I do not recall that happening.

I don't know

If they don't approve would that mean we'd have to wait until Aug to hire him if we still wanted him?

Don't know. That's a JJ call and I don't have that kind of access to him. The only thing he knows about me is I am a security guard he shakes hands with and says hello to at AU games.

Well help me hear I'm thick. That sounds an awful lot like Pearl is/was a nonstarter. I just can't imagine JJ would have gone through all the motions knowing that the NCAA would shoot him down.

What does that mean?

Don't know. That's a JJ call and I don't have that kind of access to him. The only thing he knows about me is I am a security guard he shakes hands with and says hello to at AU games.

lol. Just asking is that the scenario we'd be looking at if it is not approved but still wanted Barbee. I'll take it as a yes.

lol. Just asking is that the scenario we'd be looking at if it is not approved but still wanted Barbee. I'll take it as a yes.

I don't have that answer. Only time will tell.

The NCAA hasn't shot anything down. But we do have to walk through the process with them to get this done.

Thats good news. With Didion and McGlynn in Auburn's corner, I'd bet they navigate that process more adeptly than just about anybody else in the country

A lot of the above happy speculation is dependent on Didion leaving the NCAA on good terms. Did they all shake hands, slap backs and wish each other well or were there some difficulties? Either case is possible. There are also a lot of statements about Didion "giving his blessing". Unless someone was in the room during the conversation we can't possibly know how many strings he may have attached to that blessing, if a blessing it was.

Anyway, if Pearl can't be hired until August, so what? Nobody else can hire him either and those who are so hell-bent that he'll be the savior of AU basketball can keep threads like this going all summer.

A lot of the above happy speculation is dependent on Didion leaving the NCAA on good terms. Did they all shake hands, slap backs and wish each other well or were there some difficulties? Either case is possible. There are also a lot of statements about Didion "giving his blessing". Unless someone was in the room during the conversation we can't possibly know how many strings he may have attached to that blessing, if a blessing it was.

Anyway, if Pearl can't be hired until August, so what? Nobody else can hire him either and those who are so hell-bent that he'll be the savior of AU basketball can keep threads like this going all summer.

Don't forget those "hell-bent" on being morally superior can also keep these threads going all summer. ;)

Honestly...I'm not so sure that Barbee would have gotten fired if Jacobs didn't have a pretty good idea that he could get a coach who was significantly better. I went to the Florida game, but had not been keeping up with anything except for AU until then (and only loosely keeping up, at that), and we were playing with them all the way until the last few minutes. It wasn't until after the game that I found out UF was in the top 10, and now they're #1.

Granted, I didn't see much of the action except for that one game, but based upon the number of freshmen getting significant playing time, plus the other returning players on the roster, one would think Barbee was headed in the right direction. I realize that the team faded down the stretch, but there were times during that game against Florida during which it looked like we were the better team, not the Gators. When I found out UF was ranked #7 at the time, I felt pretty certain Barbee would be given another year to see if he could take the recruiting class he was able to put together while showing off the new arena and turn them into winners, which is why I was pretty surprised at his dismissal (even if it did come after a blowout).

Thus, I would wager that this has been in the works for a little bit longer than we knew about it. I have no ties or connections to the basketball program other than those on this board, but...well, again, all things considered, I thought Barbee deserved another year. If Pearl (or some other proven, marquee type of coach) isn't hired, then I will likely still feel that way.

Archived