Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuck is not ready for this, IMO. I'd love to see him on staff as an assistant to get his feet wet back in the college game, recruiting and all that. I'm sure he'll be as passionate about Auburn as anyone could possibly be. And one day after he's had a head coaching job or perhaps a good bit of time here as a top assistant, get that shot. Not now.

Chuck is not ready for this, IMO. I'd love to see him on staff as an assistant to get his feet wet back in the college game, recruiting and all that. I'm sure he'll be as passionate about Auburn as anyone could possibly be. And one day after he's had a head coaching job or perhaps a good bit of time here as a top assistant, get that shot. Not now.

+1

+1

Yep

“@AUHoopsBlog: Right now Buzz Williams looks to be Jay Jacobs backup plan to Pearl. But right now all signs still point to Pearl as the next HC.”

From one of our few bigger basketball boosters

Stephen Hooks ‏@HooksAPR 45m

Its possible but next two days likelyRT @KookAU: @HooksAPR @Pottleade1 @Pearl2ThePlains @AUHoopsBlog you think we could hear something tonig

Hear something on Pearl... or another candidate???

Pearl.

Sorry I meant Chuck Person. If you mean Chuck Person i differ b/c i do think he would be ready from day 1. NBA experience and being an Auburn former player i don't think he could do worse than Barbee. He certainly can sell Auburn and do well in recruiting. He's interviewed a couple NBA teams for head coaching positions. Unless it's Pearl i really don't see any other candidates that much better than Person. Also, i believe Chuck was in consideration when we hired Barbee but went with Barbee.

Sorry I meant Chuck Person. If you mean Chuck Person i differ b/c i do think he would be ready from day 1. NBA experience and being an Auburn former player i don't think he could do worse than Barbee. He certainly can sell Auburn and do well in recruiting. He's interviewed a couple NBA teams for head coaching positions. Unless it's Pearl i really don't see any other candidates that much better than Person. Also, i believe Chuck was in consideration when we hired Barbee but went with Barbee.

I am talking about Chuck Person. I knew what you meant.

He has NBA experience. Just as an assistant since 2009. That's it. No head coaching experience. No collegiate coaching experience. No recruiting experience. He's simply not ready. I don't doubt his passing for "selling Auburn" but we need more than that.

Saying he couldn't do worse than Barbee really isn't much of an endorsement for anyone.

He has NBA experience. Just as an assistant since 2009. That's it. No head coaching experience. No collegiate coaching experience. No recruiting experience. He's simply not ready. I don't doubt his passing for "selling Auburn" but we need more than that.

Saying he couldn't do worse than Barbee really isn't much of an endorsement for anyone.

Besides Pearl i don't see us being able to get a big name coach. Hope i'm wrong but i just don't see it. Some of the coaching names being mentioned on here like Shaka Smart built teams from nothing. Person may not have college coaching experience but having that NBA experience can certainly help with recruiting just like with former NFL coaches. Kids like knowing a guy has made it to the highest level and know what it takes to get there. I would rather have Person than some un-named school i have to google b/c i've never heard of it before.

Besides Pearl i don't see us being able to get a big name coach. Hope i'm wrong but i just don't see it. Some of the coaching names being mentioned on here like Shaka Smart built teams from nothing. Person may not have college coaching experience but having that NBA experience can certainly help with recruiting just like with former NFL coaches. Kids like knowing a guy has made it to the highest level and know what it takes to get there. I would rather have Person than some un-named school i have to google b/c i've never heard of it before.

Person would be an awful choice.

I just differ but we shall see who it will be.

The SEC is not a place for OJT.

It's not

The SEC is not a place for OJT.

It's not like football. Besides Kentucky and Florida the SEC has done nothing in CBB. We barely can get 3 teams in the tourney every year. I just don't think it will take a huge name to get us into the tourney on a consistent basis b/c the league is really not that good on regular basis. It's not that hard to make the tourney being in the SEC yet the SEC as a whole continues to struggle. They committie would love to have more SEC teams in but we continue to give them a reason not to.

Auburn has just been one of the schools that has been just horrible for a longer period of time but if you look at some of the other schools have had some runs at least every other 3 or 4 years in making the tourney. I certainly want Pearl but after that I just don't see many that would be that much better if we were to consider Chuck. I just wouldn't think of it as a horrible hire.

Pearl might just see this as a challenge he wants instead of taking a traditional strong CBB job. He might like auburn the way most all people do. He has the personality to recruit better than the last 3 maybe 4 coaches or we have ever had. I think he is just very likable minus the ncaa hiccup.

Bottom line. He won't be hired this go round. The sights are set higher. There is just no way that he is hired as a head coach (this time at least). Not going to happen.

Just thinking about Pearl potentially being our next coach and what he could do with our program has me more interested in AU men's BB than I have been in 10 years.

Just thinking about Pearl potentially being our next coach and what he could do with our program has me more interested in AU men's BB than I have been in 10 years.

Which is a comment on how pathetic and uncompetitive we have been.

Which is a comment on how pathetic and uncompetitive we have been.

oh yeah? you sure you didn't mean you're ready for some of this shirt off action...

image.jpg;D

( :icon_arrow::puke: )

@AUHoopsBlog: I would say we will know something within the next 48 hours.

Then later....

@AUHoopsBlog: @_CHowell_ if anything happens soon it will be Pearl.

Have we had a basketball program for the last 10 years? I'm sharing your pain and your sudden surge of optimism.

Have we had a basketball program for the last 10 years? I'm sharing your pain.

We have but not a winning one for sure. However, i still have attended and followed Auburn Basketball over the years. It's been a lot of basketball players who have given their all to the Auburn BB program so i go to support even though it's very hard to watch at times.

Archived