Report: Signee Kalvaraz Bessent Arrested

RunInRed

A regular smoker can go through 1/2 ounce a week. A normal upstanding citizen who smokes is taking a risk every single time they travel to purchase from a dealer. Would be happy to entertain you with that argument in court. That's a 6 month supply, instead of driving into bad neighborhoods and travelling with stuff in the car on a more regular basis.

It has NOTHING to do with this case, just pointing it out.

As a former regular smoker, your first point is rbogus. Snoop Dogg would have trouble doing that.

"a normal upstanding citizen who smokes". Seriously?

You think everyone who smokes pot is a degenerate?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a lot of dopers on here to me....just sayin

"Dopers"? What year is this?

Ha, I actually laughed out loud on this. I dunno, amongst all expert analysis and back and forth cross examinations, it caught me off guard. :)

A regular smoker can go through 1/2 ounce a week. A normal upstanding citizen who smokes is taking a risk every single time they travel to purchase from a dealer. Would be happy to entertain you with that argument in court. That's a 6 month supply, instead of driving into bad neighborhoods and travelling with stuff in the car on a more regular basis.

As a former regular smoker, your first point is bogus. Snoop Dogg would have trouble doing that.

What are you saying?? When I smoked I worked 2 jobs and held a 3.6 GPA majoring in communications. I was in a frat and played intramural sports. I've never been in trouble with the law in my life. I quit 6 years ago.

As a former regular smoker, your first point is rbogus. Snoop Dogg would have trouble doing that.

You think everyone who smokes pot is a degenerate?

there is quite a gap between the two. It would be more appropriate to precede " normal upstanding citizen " with "otherwise "

As a former regular smoker, your first point is bogus. Snoop Dogg would have trouble doing that.

What are you saying?? When I smoked I worked 2 jobs and held a 3.6 GPA majoring in communications. I was in a frat and played intramural sports. I've never been in trouble with the law in my life. I quit 6 years ago.

I just want to point out that even if you'd never been in the trouble with the law, by definition you were not a law-abiding citizen at that point. I think it's paradoxical to be both of those things. Not making a judgement, it just struck me as odd.

I just want to point out that even if you'd never been in the trouble with the law, by definition you were not a law-abiding citizen at that point. I think it's paradoxical to be both of those things. Not making a judgement, it just struck me as odd.

Speeders are not law abiding citizens either. Just thought I'd throw out another obvious point. When apprehended they are arrested and released on the spot (usually). Speeding like smoking pot can't be effectively enforced, because so many people do each. Speeding kills alot more people than pot. Do you ever speed?

Speeders are not law abiding citizens either. Just thought I'd throw out another obvious point. When apprehended they are arrested and released on the spot (usually). Speeding like smoking pot can't be effectively enforced, because so many people do both. Speeding kills alot more people than pot.

An interesting observation here. I'd say everyone should look at how things go in Colo and Wash and modify their laws accordingly. Too bad for the people who get caught before law changes.

Let's see, in Colorado you can legally buy 2 ounces of marijuana at a time. They had 202 grams of marijuana in the car, or a little over 7 ounces. 454 grams in a pound, or a little less than a half a pound. There were 4 people in the car, so they could have each bought 2 ounces a piece in Colorado legally , or eight ounces total. In Colorado, this would be entirely legal. This is a silly law in Florida. Time to go play for Colorado or Colorado State. The South is never going to change.

Speeders are not law abiding citizens either. Just thought I'd throw out another obvious point. When apprehended they are arrested and released on the spot (usually). Speeding like smoking pot can't be effectively enforced, because so many people do each. Speeding kills alot more people than pot. Do you ever speed?

As I said, I wasn't making a judgement, I was just pointing out that never having been in trouble with the law does not, by clear and admitted example, mean that you hadn't broken a law.

You are entirely correct about speeders. I do so, even if only slightly and with the tacit approval of law enforcement.

As I said, I wasn't making a judgement, I was just pointing out that never having been in trouble with the law does not, by clear and admitted example, mean that you hadn't broken a law.

You are entirely correct about speeders. I do so, even if only slightly and with the tacit approval of law enforcement.

I am speaking strictly philosophically, both in the previous posts and now. The idea of "normal upstanding citizen" is a fascinating concept, if you really stop and think about it. Who gets to set the operational definition, and what IS it? Is it black and white, or can you be 75% upstanding and still be considered a normal upstanding citizen? At what point do you become a not-upstanding citizen, and is that, in fact, more normal than an upstanding citizen is?

Gus's track record is mixed, but according to the circumstances. He gave Dyer a second chance at Arky State, probably because he felt a new environment could do him some good. Since returning to Auburn, he's handled these issues in a much more heavy handed manner, probably to send a swift message that the old way of doing things was gone. Message received. I don't think we can safely assume he will do one thing or another in this scenario based on previous history, since most of the character issues have been weeded out. I believe the way he handles this will be 100% determined by how this story plays out in the coming weeks.

There are no law abiding citizens- only naive squares who think they are. There are so many laws on the books that on average, we all break 3 laws a day. I'm a Golden Rule citizen. When the law is just, I'll follow it. When its not, I won't.

come on, speeding gets you a small fine and raises your insurance unless you are a dumbess and habitually get caught then it gets worse. dope will get you hauled to jail picture in the paper. a failed drug test gets you kicked off scholarships(someplaces) and in most and i mean almost all employers give a pre-employment drug screen and do random testing and testing on injuries and even near miss accidents or just plain suspicion. they have good reasons with good data to spend the $ and go to the legal extremes to keep pot users out of their workforce. so no i dont think grown people who smoke pot are upstanding citizens. they are not all degenerates but they put too much value in a buzz vs. the risk most of them subject themselves and their families to.

come on, speeding gets you a small fine and raises your insurance unless you are a dumbess and habitually get caught then it gets worse. dope will get you hauled to jail picture in the paper. a failed drug test gets you kicked off scholarships(someplaces) and in most and i mean almost all employers give a pre-employment drug screen and do random testing and testing on injuries and even near miss accidents or just plain suspicion. they have good reasons with good data to spend the $ and go to the legal extremes to keep pot users out of their workforce. so no i dont think grown people who smoke pot are upstanding citizens. they are not all degenerates but they put too much value in a buzz vs. the risk most of them subject themselves and their families to.

not sure if serious or just stupid......

The article I read said 202 grams which is in the half pound range and that's one hell of a night if you are going with personal use. The big deal is the gun. I ran hard in my past and never found it necessary to carry a gun. For me the gun indicates the he is - at best - a gangster wanna be and while he may be the greatest kid in the world I am sick of this crap at Auburn and would be in favor of giving someone who gives a damn, and is less likely to shoot someone, his scholarship.

How do you know it was his? He was the passenger, right? How do you know it wasn't in the glove box or under the driver's seat? I for one have never checked either places when I get into a friend's car. Have you?

The article I read said 202 grams which is in the half pound range and that's one hell of a night if you are going with personal use. The big deal is the gun. I ran hard in my past and never found it necessary to carry a gun. For me the gun indicates the he is - at best - a gangster wanna be and while he may be the greatest kid in the world I am sick of this crap at Auburn and would be in favor of giving someone who gives a damn, and is less likely to shoot someone, his scholarship.

How do you know it was his? He was the passenger, right? How do you know it wasn't in the glove box or under the driver's seat? I for one have never checked either places when I get into a friend's car. Have you?

I have tended to know my friends well enough to know if they had a half pound of weed under the seat. I deal a fair bit with law enforcement officers (a career of listening to lies) and this sounds like a typical case of everyone saying "I don't know how it got there." As I said in my post this may be the best kid in the world but the Auburn football program is not about fixing problem kids, it's about football. As a university Auburn has a responsibility to protect the students and employees to the best of their ability. I have seen, up close, what guns wielded by young misguided men do. Have you?

I am speaking strictly philosophically, both in the previous posts and now. The idea of "normal upstanding citizen" is a fascinating concept, if you really stop and think about it. Who gets to set the operational definition, and what IS it? Is it black and white, or can you be 75% upstanding and still be considered a normal upstanding citizen? At what point do you become a not-upstanding citizen, and is that, in fact, more normal than an upstanding citizen is?

Exactly. It's all relative. Just being in law enforcement is far from a guarantee one is a good citizen, but it usually weighs in ones favor.

I always laugh at the pot v. speeding argument. The first violates the criminal law. The second violates traffic laws. In most places, you don't go to criminal court to contest a ticket, and you don't go to traffic court to plead not guilty. They are not equivalent violations. In the eyes of the law (which, in a democratic society, actually means the eyesof the general citizenry), speeding is closer to jay walking than it is to smoking weed; possession of weed is closer to possession of crack than it is to speeding (same guideline section, different subpart).

It's a fine theoretical argument, but it's nonsense when actually reviewing the law.

Am I the only person old enough to remember Robert Baker? I cant exactly remember what he was dealing, but he was dealing some kind of drugs. I know he got a rather lengthy prison sentence

Hard (crack) and soft (powder cocaine)

I think the only way he keeps his scolly to Auburn is to be quickly exonerated and have all charges against him dropped. For this to happen one of the others has to admit to ownership of the weed and gun or has to be fingered by the others. I imagine Bessent's parents also see this and I would hope that the will put some major pressure on him to give the police the true story. This may go against his thinking and appear to him that he's "ratting out" another guy but in a situation like this there's too much at stake for him to just go down with the ship. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. My logic and what I know about our society tells me that he has about a 20% chance of being at Auburn this summer.

I agree and I think the % of him ever enrolling at AU is 10%. What as stupid, stupid decision he made. Of course, we (or any other football factory) aren't recruiting Mensa candidates to play football so this really is not that surprising.

wde

Do you feel the same about folks who drink? Because we're about 5-10 years from pot being considered the exact same as alcohol across the whole US. Colorado and Washington are racking in way to much tax revenue from it for other states not to follow suit.

I always laugh at the pot v. speeding argument. The first violates the criminal law. The second violates traffic laws. In most places, you don't go to criminal court to contest a ticket, and you don't go to traffic court to plead not guilty. They are not equivalent violations. In the eyes of the law (which, in a democratic society, actually means the eyesof the general citizenry), speeding is closer to jay walking than it is to smoking weed; possession of weed is closer to possession of crack than it is to speeding (same guideline section, different subpart).

It's a fine theoretical argument, but it's nonsense when actually reviewing the law.

Thank you master of the obvious.

I was simply commenting that speeding semantically disqualifies you from being a law abiding citizan. It also kills a crapload of people every year.anyone who has ever sped excessively has greatly endangered the lives of all around more than any pot smoker most likely ever will. That is a fact.

I personally think that most of the complainers on here about KB getting a second chance at AU are probably uat trolls still sore about us flipping their player. Otherwise you would remember Cam and how he used that second chance and not only became a great player but also a great person and ambassador for Auburn. Marshal also used his second chance to become a better person. I can tell you from my personal experience I have seen a lot of folks (hopefully myself included) that have learned from their mistakes to comeback even stronger and better. And to directly answer one persons claim, Gus probably believes his purpose here is to grow young men into good folks is more paramount than how many games he wins, and I agree with Gus. If your to good to give second chances In life then I hope God does not judge you on your own terms. War Eagle

Without knowing the facts of the matter, it's a tough call to make. At first glance we have a kid that at minimum was riding in a car with a decent amount of weed present and a gun onboard, the possible drug dealers were exceeding the speed limit enough to attract a cops attention. And the cops obviously smelled something in the car which lead to a search and further landed the dudes in the pokey. Does Bessent have character flaws? My father (God rest his soul) always told me "You are known by the company you keep."

IMO, the kid hasn't done one thing for AU football except get our name attached to his in this whole unfortunate mess.

Eagle Eye 7,

Just because we gave 2nd chances to Cam and Nick means we should give 2nd chances to every criminal. I hope not. Don't kid yourself either. Auburn gave 2nd chances to Cam and Nick because they could help us just as much or more than we could help them.

Archived